TOS Forum Theme Feedback Thread

Put any feedback about the game here.

TOS Forum Theme Feedback Thread

Postby TurdPile » Sun Aug 02, 2015 10:49 pm

As I stated here: viewtopic.php?f=11&t=26946

This is a feedback thread for the TOS theme. It is very much a work in progress, and not even near to completion.

Any new icons you would suggest added, so on and so forth, you can post here (or PM'ed if you wish to remain anonymous).

All post must remain constructive.
Bad: "It looks terrible."
Good: "It looks terrible, because X, Y, and Z. What would make it look good is ___".

Cheers,
-Chris
I have mostly rescinded my role as Admin.

All previous contact should instead be redirected to Flavorable.

If your inquiry doesn't directly have to do with Trial 2.0 or TrialBot, then please refrain from messaging.

Thank you.
TurdPile
Vampire
Vampire

Re: TOS Forum Theme Feedback Thread

Postby leyva45 » Sun Aug 02, 2015 11:18 pm

I don't like the bots color, it's a pain to look at, imo.

Edit: Same for FM Mods and Donator things, I do not like the color, maybe you could make those colors a bit darker?
Last edited by leyva45 on Sun Aug 02, 2015 11:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
leyva- le discord
leyva45
[Forum Mafia IV] Winner
[Forum Mafia IV] Winner

Postby jacobm1122 » Sun Aug 02, 2015 11:24 pm

The bot color is hard on the eyes. The Donator color clashes way too much. The fm mod color is hard on the eyes on the dark wood color and not too good looking on lighter wood either. I would mess with the wood colors to fix this and not the fm mod color.

Quotes are ugly. Too boxy and square.

The light and dark wood colors contrast too much
Thanks Hurricat :D
jacobm1122
[Forum Mafia XV] Winner
[Forum Mafia XV] Winner

Postby ronit » Sun Aug 02, 2015 11:38 pm

jacobm1122 wrote:The bot color is hard on the eyes. The Donator color clashes way too much. The fm mod color is hard on the eyes on the dark wood color and not too good looking on lighter wood either. I would mess with the wood colors to fix this and not the fm mod color.

If Im honest an fm mod colour change and donator change would be refreshing.
FM records
Spoiler: TFM4 -win Naked snake (mafioso)
TFM 6- win Cultist
Gfm- loss Agent
TFM 10- loss Serial killer
7C- loss Bodyguard
CFM 7- win Citizen
SFM 7- loss Detonator
CFM 8- win Jester
7R- loss medium
7F- win sk Citizen
CFM 9- win Phantom
SFM 9- Ongoing
SFM 10- Ongoing
CFM 10 - Ongoing
8C- loss
ronit
[Forum Mafia VIII] Winner
[Forum Mafia VIII] Winner

Postby Swordsworth » Mon Aug 03, 2015 12:11 am

ronit wrote:
jacobm1122 wrote:The bot color is hard on the eyes. The Donator color clashes way too much. The fm mod color is hard on the eyes on the dark wood color and not too good looking on lighter wood either. I would mess with the wood colors to fix this and not the fm mod color.

If Im honest an fm mod colour change and donator change would be refreshing.

Well, on this backdrop, the colours actually aren't bad. But some tweaking on shades is necessary for those flairs, I feel, in the ToS theme.
Spoiler: Somewhere beyond the sea
Somewhere waiting for me

S E N A T O R M E M E C H I N O
Swordsworth
Patron
Patron

Postby NheroArconix » Mon Aug 03, 2015 1:44 am

Here we go... Spoiler: Image
The icons look too similar, and it could be hard to tell the difference.

Does not contrast well.

Why did the text color change for anything that should normally be black? Also, link colors are weird to look at.

This is a significant gap between the avatar and online tag here. Again, text is not black.

This is a different color then what the color is below a users avatar (appears in the "by XXX" section on each post)

Why are we still using a phpbb logo and not a ToS - centered one?

Quote boxes change color on the third quote, boxes are just straight lines

Why is the text not black? Why do the buttons blend too easily?

Why the sudden font change? It drastically breaks the theme the forum has going for it with it's font, and just doesn't look good.

All of these were found in a few minutes with the new theme. I have switched back since.
The theme definitely needs some tweaks. Also, a "Dark" version of the theme, or simply a dark prosilver, would be AMAZING.

/r/townofsalemgame Subreddit Moderator
Spoiler: Image
ImageImageImageImageImage
NheroArconix
Patron
Patron

Postby TurdPile » Mon Aug 03, 2015 1:50 am

Thanks. Not sure when I'll be able to find the time to change some stuff though :?

If your inquiry doesn't directly have to do with Trial 2.0 or TrialBot, then please refrain from messaging.

Thank you.
TurdPile
Vampire
Vampire

Postby NheroArconix » Mon Aug 03, 2015 2:00 am

Whenever you do is fine, like you said, it's a work in progress. There are bound to be things that need to be polished up or worked on.

Spoiler: To explain why I want a dark theme, here's how smashboards's themes work. (And this is partially because I really like how they do forum themes.)
This is the smashboards theme, it is not the default, but it is the non-dark version. It can be a slight eyesore to look at because of the brightness, however that goes away during the day. For a thread, it has black text on a white background.

This is the "dark" theme, which simply replaces a lot of the white with a dark grey, and uses a light grey text color instead of a black for threads so it contrasts well. It's much easier on the eyes to look at day-round. Smashboards also has slight alterations of this theme, such as Ruby, which changes the orange to a red. There is also "Onyx" which replaces it with an even darker theme. (And also a theme that makes mostly everything blue.)

/r/townofsalemgame Subreddit Moderator
ImageImageImageImageImage
NheroArconix
Patron
Patron

Postby Mroz4k » Mon Aug 03, 2015 3:05 am

Personally I reccomend rather darker background then brighter.

Its a lot better choice, and if you switch the default text color from black to white, it allows everyone to create threads while using a much wider variety of colors.
Thats just my opinion on it - With this setting, it could be done if the transparent background wasnt a cream colored, but rather darker brown, or a semi-dark grey.
Also, one thing that doesnt sit quite well with me is that the boards on the background look modern. That doesnt really sit well with the TOS theme, being a game based on historical theme (at least initially) but still overall, I like the TOS theme a lot better then the original default forums!

I was wondering - is the theme a Forum layout created by Phpbb, or was it custom-made? If so, would it be okay if I (later on) posted a color scheme and a background I would consider a bit better? (thought that would be custom made by me, and not exactly a Forum layout. And it would only be for a proof-of-concept, and I would probably let one of the community members who is more skilled with Photoshop then I am, to make the wood texture continuous.)
(I was thinking of using this as a background: http://gdj.gdj.netdna-cdn.com/wp-conten ... ure+26.jpg
The website says its free-to-use, so it shouldnt be a problem: http://graphicdesignjunction.com/2013/0 ... -textures/ )

What I am mainly interested in is to learn if you can customize the main background (the one under the text) with a different color. If that is so, I´d reccomend rather using darker background with white text, then lighter with black, as it allows for bigger variety of colors - since you can use even the very light colors, and the bright colors are still pretty well displayed)

(I guess I am going to be cheap and use my own forums as an example for what I consider to be better with the colors)

Just my opinion on the whole theme. I definitedly like it a lot more then the default one, but could use some additional work (but hey, its work in progress! :D )
Away in the real world most of the time, but I return from time to time, at my own whim.

FM history:
Spoiler: NFM4 - Lookout - W
NFM7 - Consort - L (so close tho)
FM8D - Cit+ to Sheriff - W
FM9C - Cit - L (epicly failed)
CFM hydra 2 - Medium with Varanus - W
SFM17 - Caporegime - W
FM9D - Serial Killer - W (epicly :D)
SFM14 - Bodyguard-ish role - modkilled, caused MyLo FTW - W?
Mroz4k
Vampire Hunter
Vampire Hunter

Postby Hurricat » Mon Aug 03, 2015 7:05 am

The problem with the theme as it stands is the lack of contrast.
There's the basic color scheme. It's just about monochromatic, just like the prosilver theme. But compare it to the prosilver theme:
Notice how instead of being more of a gradient like the new theme, it has two predominately darker colors that immediately transition to almost-white, then white itself? Contrast. Without contrast, the theme looks almost washed out. Basically, the darker colors need to be darker, and the lighter colors need to be lighter.

The default text colors in posts should ALWAYS be either white or black, depending on the background. On a forum where people can use bbcode to change how their posts look, setting a default text color to anything other than black or white is a huge hindrance and causes confusion. The brown makes it look like the text is fading into the background itself. Default blue links also look pretty bad on the washed brown (again, contrast). Donator, FM mod colors, and especially bot colors look terrible against the brown, as has been pointed out.

The "view latest post" button Image is almost the same exact color as the background behind it and is almost impossible to see.

As for the light/dark background thing, the most viable option would be to have both as options, because some people like dark backgrounds and some people like light backgrounds. It's a preference thing where one option won't please everyone all the time.

I'll PM you about the icons shortly.
Hurricat
Halloween 2015 Winner
Halloween 2015 Winner

Postby Waffleme3 » Mon Aug 03, 2015 7:12 am

I like it so far but like others have said it hard to see some things.
Thanks hurricat
Rest in peace Coolway and Birdy <3
Waffleme3
[Forum Mafia VII] Winner
[Forum Mafia VII] Winner

Postby TurdPile » Mon Aug 03, 2015 8:27 am

Mroz4k wrote:I was wondering - is the theme a Forum layout created by Phpbb, or was it custom-made?

It's SoftWood (see bottom of page) with very minor edits.

Thank you.
TurdPile
Vampire
Vampire

Postby iggyvolz » Mon Aug 03, 2015 9:38 am

*changes theme* huh, I don't see anything diff... *page refreshes* HOLY SH** THIS IS AWESOME!!!

One of the things that bugs me a little bit is that anything not active sorta blends in with the page... like as I'm typing this reply the subject box and the BBCodes are greyed out and are a bit hard to read. I understand that you want to keep focus on what you're actively typing in and I totally agree... but I'd tone this down a little bit.

Another thing is that the Smilies have white spots around them. This is more phpBB's fault for not properly cropping the images, but it's something anyone could do in an image editor by just erasing those couple pixels around the smilies.

Other than that, it looks amazing! I'm never switching back.
Greatest failures/shitshows:
iggyvolz
Werewolf
Werewolf

Postby Metazoxan » Mon Aug 03, 2015 12:41 pm

It feels too plain and kinda flat. As for a suggestion you know the new UI for the front page? The one with the new music? Well how about making parts of the forum look more like stone with what looks kinda like a metalic frame. Some parts can still remain wooden but it just feels a bit bland to me with it just being a plain wood background with a lighter brown for the forum itself.

As for what parts to make look stone or metalic like maybe the interfaces and buttons? I can't picture what would work best but I think this would be a good direction to go in.
Metazoxan
Donor
Donor

Postby Mroz4k » Fri Aug 07, 2015 11:15 am

I must say, though there is definitedly some things I would like changed (the colors are all kind of blending together, that would be my biggest problem) I am already starting to get used to this, and even if no big changes are made, I must give a thumbs up for this theme. I´d still prefer a darker theme, though.

And the one thing esthetically that is a kind of difficult for me to bite over is the fact that the background planks look like they were placed on a floor yesterday (aka they give me the novelty feeling, as if they were done for a brand new modern home.) Doesnt really boat that well with the TOS semi-historical background in my opinion.

I tried to have fun with that dark plank background, but it didnt really work out. So I was browsing the web, looking for phpbb templates I would like, that I would consider to be a bit more on-topic, and I found this:
http://www.template4all.com/phpbb-templ ... nload.html

Just a disclaimer: Even though I tried downloading it myself and I ran it through a check of multiple scanners, still could potentially be malware - but so far, I havent experienced anything).

Seems to have pretty nice background, its dark which I personally like, and if it was customised with the TOS themed buttons for posts etc like it currently is, I believe this would make the forums look a lot more with the theme then the current modern looking planks.
As the Wild West theme does kind of go with the victorian era an the overal TOS theme (in my opinion).
Away in the real world most of the time, but I return from time to time, at my own whim.

FM history:
SFM17 - Caporegime - W
Mroz4k
Vampire Hunter
Vampire Hunter

Postby TurdPile » Fri Aug 07, 2015 12:39 pm

I like it. I'll try it out when I have time. (If I remember lol)

Thank you.
TurdPile
Vampire
Vampire

Postby Jfire » Mon Aug 10, 2015 12:19 am

Change the read and unread icons please!

Current IGN: Plush

EpicMafia Loser
Jfire
Jailor
Jailor

Postby Mroz4k » Mon Aug 10, 2015 8:03 am

Jfire wrote:Change the read and unread icons please!

Why?

They seem pretty clear to me. You get colored head for a post with unread comments in it, and greyed out head with the already read topics.

Its exactly the same way it used to be with the default Phpbb, just this time, its heads of the TOS characters. And to be honest, I find that way better then the default, plain motive.

FM history:
SFM17 - Caporegime - W
Mroz4k
Vampire Hunter
Vampire Hunter

Postby Jfire » Mon Aug 10, 2015 9:50 am

Mroz4k wrote:
Jfire wrote:Change the read and unread icons please!

Why?

They seem pretty clear to me. You get colored head for a post with unread comments in it, and greyed out head with the already read topics.

Its exactly the same way it used to be with the default Phpbb, just this time, its heads of the TOS characters. And to be honest, I find that way better then the default, plain motive.

On mobile it's much harder to see, and I mainly use mobile.

Current IGN: Plush

EpicMafia Loser
Jfire
Jailor
Jailor

Postby TurdPile » Mon Aug 10, 2015 9:55 am

I looked on mobile and it looked alright. Can you snapshot what you mean?

Thank you.
TurdPile
Vampire
Vampire

Postby Swordsworth » Sat Sep 05, 2015 10:21 am

Woah. Okay. The theme clashes heavily with the name colour of the bots(Bing, Baidu, Google, etc). It's really painful to look at.
Spoiler: Somewhere beyond the sea
Somewhere waiting for me

S E N A T O R M E M E C H I N O
Swordsworth
Patron
Patron

Postby BirdyThePhoenix » Sat Sep 19, 2015 8:40 am

I'm using it right now, and when looking at who is online at the bottom of the page, you can barely see any of the names. It's really annoying.
My discord is Birdy The Phoenix#5902
BirdyThePhoenix
In memory of...
In memory of...

Postby LevinSnakesRise » Sat Sep 19, 2015 8:47 am

birdyluv0 wrote:I'm using it right now, and when looking at who is online at the bottom of the page, you can barely see any of the names. It's really annoying.

Those are the Bots, which are colored in Gray, making it hard to see. The rest don't seem too awful for my eyes, but the Bots list does irritate my eyes.
Please contact BMG with any questions regarding your account issues;
support@blankmediagames.zendesk.com

Thanks.
LevinSnakesRise
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby oliy » Wed Sep 23, 2015 6:52 am

It's surprisingly easy to get used to, and I like the theme. I just have two problems:
1) The smilies have an annoying white brokem outline. Ex. :D
2) You can't tell when a sticky is locked or not

Old Signature Stuff:

Spoiler:
Hi! I'm Eve the Eevee! Please give me a hug :3
You can also hurt/heal me here!

My Stuff
oliy
Vampire Hunter
Vampire Hunter

Postby Mroz4k » Wed Sep 30, 2015 1:16 pm

TurdPile wrote:I like it. I'll try it out when I have time. (If I remember lol)

Any chance you will try out the dark wooden theme?

Seems like quite a few people would prefer darker forums, got to say I prefer darker forums myself because everything just stands out better, from font colors to pictures etc.

FM history:
SFM17 - Caporegime - W
Mroz4k
Vampire Hunter
Vampire Hunter

Next

Return to Feedback