The Curse: Town Phase

A place for old, unplayed, and completed games go to lie.

The Curse: Town Phase

Postby BRVR » Wed Aug 21, 2019 7:31 pm

Welcome to The Curse
The curse is a game based off the movie Scary Stories to tell in the dark. While I will not spoil anything from the actual movie the mechanics are based off of an important aspect of the movie. Read the spoiler below for the specific aspect. Watching the movie is not required but it would help you in surviving this game and keeping your friends (or enemies) alive. There will be roleplaying and the better you are at roleplaying means you're far more likely to survive, but it is not required for everything and it can be kept to a minimum if you want.

Spoiler: The main way the characters die is by having a scenario written out in a book. The ending of the story results in their untimely demise. They do get a chance to prevent it though. From what I can tell the presence of other people do not deter the monsters and they will be seen as another victim. As soon as the story begins to write they see the title at the top of the book. It will give a hint as to what the scenario will be. The book will slowly type out the story of what will happen to the unfortunate victim. They then have only a few minutes before the story starts to play out exactly like it would without interference.

Signups:
Spoiler: -The game requires at least 2 players to start. People may join at anytime during the story as long as it is one of the main characters.
-The players have the goal of finding out the secrets of the Book and finding out how to stop it from taking them away.
-People who join will use the character sheet provided.
-When the game starts I will PM players their secret info.
-Secret info will contain a secondary goal that they can complete to gain their role's bonus, their fear(s), their strength(s), their relationship with everybody, and their role and subrole.
-You are not allowed at anytime to reveal your role. You may hint at them and roleplay using them but you cannot outright say your role.

Basics:
Spoiler: -The game will begin with the story of how the characters found the book and then the town phase.
-A scenario has a random chance of happening every action in a Town Phase.
-At the end of the Town Phase it will be the Night Phase. A scenario is most likely to happen here as there will be fewer NPCs to interrupt.
-There are 7 basic roles. The Supernatural Geek, the Condemned, The Fearful, The Seer, The Quick Thinker, The Normal and The Nemesis. There are 12 sub roles.
-The sub roles are: Meticulous, Clumsy, Lucky, Unlucky, Strong, Weak, Fast, Slow, Nice, Evil, Observant, and Distracted.
-A player will have only one sub role and it will effect how their actions work.
-During the Night Phase players will get 2 actions. They can use them to snoop around in areas they usually couldn't as long as they have the required areas.
-There are multiple buildings in the town that could hold multiple things.
-Whoever is currently holding the book cannot become the Main Character.
-Upon signup you will create a character.

Roles:
Spoiler: All players will receive a role at the beginning of the game. Main NPC's will also have a role.
Each role has a secret bonus that only the player will know if they complete their secondary action.

The Supernatural Geek
You are the character who has intense knowledge of supernatural beings!
As long as you are alive the players will be given hints as to what the monster of the upcoming scenario will be.
You do not have any fears of supernatural beings.
Once, you may reveal the next three monsters, but increase the chances of a scenario happening!

The Condemned.
You are the character who is most likely to die!
You have double the chance of being the Main Character.
If you are given an easy scenario you will be given hints as to where to go or what to do to survive. You are more likely to get an easy scenario.
Once, you may swap places with somebody and take their spot as the Main Character.
Upon your death you will be revived as a Normal.

The Fearful
You are the character with the most fears!
You have half the chance of being the Main Character!
Every start of the Night Phase you will have a dream. There is a 30% chance it is a nightmare. Upon having a dream nothing happens. Upon having a nightmare you will experience the next scenario. This does not count as the scenario, but you will still be able to die.
At the start of every Town Phase you may choose a player to latch on to. You guys will be able to communicate to each other to sync up your actions.
Starting the Night Phase in the same area as a player will reduce the nightmare chance to 20%.

The Seer
You are the person who has vivid dreams!
You will see the outcome of scenarios at random.
You cannot see the outcome of scenarios of the same Main Character twice.
Twice you may tell me that you wish to reveal the dream in full. I will then post in the thread the scenario in full.

The Quick Thinker
You can think quick on your feet!
You have more leniency on your actions. Everything you do has a better chance of succeeding.
You will get more hints than others most of the time.
Once you may have me auto do your actions for a scenario. This will allow me to give you the best outcome for the scenario for you and your friends. Can be used when you are not the Main Character.

The Normal
There is nothing special about you.
Nobody may get this role at the start of the game.

The Nemesis
You are an enemy of the team, but you're trapped in the same boat and want to survive.
The longer you are the Nemesis the harder it is for you to survive.
At the start of each Town Phase pick a player. If you are to ever cross paths a scenario will instantly begin with the both of you as the Main Characters. After this ability triggers three times become a Normal.
If you are given the book you will hold onto it for two town phases instead of one. The book does not make you immune to scenarios though.
Once you may reduce the difficulty of the next three scenarios.

Sub Roles:
Spoiler: They all speak for themselves. Meticulous makes it so that you are more careful and less likely to fail an action. Clumsy is the opposite of Meticulous. Lucky increases the chance of things out of your control being good for you. Unlucky is the opposite of Lucky. Strong makes you more likely to succeed in actions that have to deal with strength. Weak is the opposite. Fast makes you more likely to do things faster than everything else. Slow makes you more likely to do things last. Nice makes it so that NPC's are more likely to help you out. Evil makes it so that NPC's will be more likely to avoid you, unless they are also Evil. Observant lets you spot things that others usually wouldn't. Distracted means you are more likely to miss out on things .

Scenarios
Spoiler: -Scenarios are the main threat to the players.
-The title will change to match the scenario once it truly starts.
-Whatever phase the Scenario is triggered in after the Scenario is finished the phase will end.
-Scenarios will be played out in turns. A scenario will be a minimum of 3 turns (The character will always spot the monster on the third turn.) and will be a maximum of 13 turns. If the Main Character doesn't escape or is rescued by the end of 13 turns the Scenario will play out in full (The Main Character dies)
-All players and Main NPC's will do an action for each turn.
-The Main Character cannot act like they are in danger unless they are warned by another player. Being cautious is okay since that makes sense for a cursed person to be paranoid, but if you just try to run out of the area for no reason the action will be denied and you will waste a turn.
-On the 10th turn conditions will be checked to see if the Main Character will be given three extra chances to escape. Is a friend with them? Do they have a way out this turn? Are they far from the Monster? If the answer is yes to at least one of those question they will be given three extra turns.
-Make sure you think of your choices carefully. If you don't pay attention I will not reduce the difficulty. If you run into the arms (or appendages of any type) of the monster you will die.
-Scenarios will put a random player as the Main Character of a Scary Story. The Scary Story will always result in their death, unless it is interfered with.
-A monster will never stray from their target if their target is in their sights or was seen entering a room. If the monster lost them they will find them in at least two turns.
-The title will change upon the start of a Scenario. The book will begin to write at the time too. The first word will always be the Main Character's name.
-The book will slowly type out the scenario the book will give hints to everybody not involved in the story on how to reach the Main Character.
-At anytime the book holder may look at the contents of the book. They can see what the outcome of stories should have been, and what actually happened.

The Book
Spoiler: -Whoever holds the book will be immune to being the Main Character.
-The book can be lost during a scenario.
-The book can be stolen by the Bookkeeper by NPC's or other Main Characters.
-The book is required for the players to win.
-A monster will never attempt to go for the book.

The Town Phase
Spoiler: -Each player will get 3 actions.
-They may use these actions to travel anywhere on the map and ask questions. Three questions are allowed for each action. You may also use all actions to wander inside a building for the Town Phase
-A scenario can happen at any moment in the Town Phase.
-NPC's will be scarce if any during the moment a Scenario will strike.
-Players will PM me their actions and I will respond once all players send in their action.

The Night Phase
Spoiler: -Each player gets 2 actions and out of character there will be a vote.
-The vote will be in thread. It will be who the book keeper for the day will be.
-You cannot choose the same book keeper twice in a row. And each player must hold onto the book at least once before you can do repeats.
-During the Night scenarios are more likely to happen and if a scenario didn't happen during the day one will happen in the night. If one happened in the day one will not be held in the night.

Win Conditions
Spoiler: In order to win the game you must find the secrets of the book and the town. There will be a few important NPC's but don't expect me to point them out. You must ask questions in order to gain knowledge. After 3 cycles I will give you a hint.
There are two ways to win the game.
First option is to survive 13 cycles. This is the hard way.
Second option is to survive by finding out the secrets and destroying the book the right way. This is the way the game is supposed to be won.

Lose Conditions
Spoiler: There are multiple ways to lose the game.
Destroying the book before finding out the right way to destroy it
Losing the book for at least two cycles.
Having only one main character left alive.
Having more than 13 NPC's die.

Town information
Spoiler: The town contains two hospitals, two police stations, three super markets, 6 blocks worth of houses, 7 blocks worth of random stores, two general stores, 4 abandoned houses, 3 'haunted' houses, 1 library, woods, 50 NPC's, 10 Important NPC's, 2 wandering NPC's, and 1 graveyard

Character Sheet
Name:
Job: (18 and under are students)
Backstory:

Player List:
1. JalandH
2. Determinus
3. Transport
4. Multiuniverse
5. Kody Bell (NPC)
6. Sarah Cold (NPC)

If you have any questions please ask!
Last edited by BRVR on Sat Aug 31, 2019 11:25 am, edited 5 times in total.
THE GREAT KIJAH IS BACK AND IS HERE TO STAY!
I AM OPEN TO MAKING NEW FRIENDS TO FILL THE VOID IN MY HEART OF SADNESS!
BRVR
Survivor
Survivor

Re: The Curse: The Beginning (0/2+)

Postby BRVR » Wed Aug 21, 2019 7:31 pm

Character Sheets:
JalandH
Name:Ariel
Job: student
Backstory: Uhh idk tbh

Determinus
Name: Asriel
Gender: Gender neutral, hersafoysi/hersayfisir/hergomanies replaces they/them/their
Job: Jobless dropout, slightly psychopathic
Backstory: Is a nemesis regardless or whether hersafoysi're the role or not, hergomanies dad shot hergomanies mother when hersafoysi were four and hergomanies dad subsequently was struck by lightning, hersafoysi were then adopted and raised by Patrick Bateman. Also the lost twin of the other Asriel

Transport
Name: Kiro
Sex: No thanks M
Job:Coppersmith
Backstory: Soon to be edited in

Multiuniverse
Name: Eric Crawford
Job: Undertaker
Backstory: An orphan who, after finishing school, had devoted his life to caring for the graveyard to honour his parents' death.

NPC 1
Name: Kody Bell
Job: Unemployed
Backstory: One of the wealthy people in the town. He's made some friends with the people who aren't as fortunate as him. However he still has some rivalry against some of the more poor people in town.

NPC 2
Name: Sarah Cold
Job: Cashier at the Super Market
Backstory: A normal girl raised by her grandparents after her parents were killed by a psychopath that broke into their house late at night. Her grandparents love her dearly and she would do anything to protect them or her friends.

Last edited by BRVR on Thu Aug 22, 2019 1:49 pm, edited 2 times in total.
BRVR
Survivor
Survivor

Postby BRVR » Wed Aug 21, 2019 7:32 pm

just in case
BRVR
Survivor
Survivor

Postby Jalandh » Wed Aug 21, 2019 8:18 pm

Name:Ariel
Use your full power. Take out your soul weapon, and do your best. Otherwise...

You'll die.
Jalandh
[Forum Mafia XVI] Winner
[Forum Mafia XVI] Winner

Postby BRVR » Wed Aug 21, 2019 9:00 pm

Jalandh wrote:Name:Ariel

I can provide one for you if you don't think of one before the game starts.
BRVR
Survivor
Survivor

Postby Determinus » Wed Aug 21, 2019 9:06 pm

Name: Asriel (sometimes people have the same names)
Gender: Gender neutral, hersafoysi/hersayfisir/hergomanies replaces they/them/their
Job: Jobless dropout, also a serial killer
Backstory: Is a nemesis regardless or whether hersafoysi're the role or not, hergomanies dad shot hergomanies mother when hersafoysi were four and hergomanies dad subsequently was struck by lightning, hersafoysi were then adopted and raised by Patrick Bateman. Also the lost twin of the other Asriel
Determinus

Re: The Curse: The Beginning (1/2+)

Postby transportowiec96 » Thu Aug 22, 2019 2:21 am

Name: Kiro
Backstory: Soon to be edited in Finished high school, but failed his exams for uni, so he went to work as an apprentice in a coppersmith's workshop. He liked the job, so he worked really hard, and got his title and diploma at 20. He was abused by his parents, and that was the cause of his failure. He ran away soon after hitting his 18th birthday. Found a nice job, to live without having to take abuse.

Can we talk/whisper if we are at the same place? If yes, add you to PM and that's it?
Last edited by transportowiec96 on Thu Aug 22, 2019 1:44 pm, edited 3 times in total.
transportowiec96#4236
Feel free to pm me, I'll try to help you with anything.
Spoiler:
StlnSP wrote:transportertownie96

birdyluv0 wrote:transportwiec96

JammySplodge wrote:transportowie96

JammySplodge wrote:transportwie96

Jordan917222 wrote:transportowic96

birdyluv0 wrote:transportwise96

Blackajack wrote:transportowniec96

Jordan917222 wrote:
Warden name i cant spell and i don't want to be in your sig twice wrote:

eleethacker1337 wrote:transportowniec

Moleland wrote:Transporttowiec96

VucubCaquix wrote:Transport-Townie

transportowiec96
Spy
Spy

Postby Multiuniverse » Thu Aug 22, 2019 3:34 am

Character Sheet
Name: Eric Crawford
Job: Undertaker
Backstory: An orphan who, after finishing school, had devoted his life to caring for the graveyard to honour his parents' death.

Thanks parker for the gif and SuperDuper for suggesting rotational sig
Multiuniverse
[Forum Mafia XVII] Winner

Postby BRVR » Thu Aug 22, 2019 1:17 pm

transportowiec96 wrote:Name: Kiro
Backstory: Soon to be edited in

Can we talk/whisper if we are at the same place? If yes, add you to PM and that's it?

Yes you can.
BRVR
Survivor
Survivor

Re: The Curse: The Beginning (4/6)

Postby BRVR » Thu Aug 22, 2019 1:27 pm

The game will begin sometime tomorrow.
You may edit your posts to change your story before it begins.
BRVR
Survivor
Survivor

Postby BRVR » Fri Aug 23, 2019 8:19 am

By some dumb luck the group found themselves in the possession of a book that was cursed by witches. They all heard the stories about how the oldest haunted house was the real deal. They didn't listen and were tempted by fame to stay the weekend inside the haunted house. Their nemesis had decided they would play a prank on them once they found out that they were staying the weekend in there. They decided to play along with them. When the group decided to investigate the attic before leaving the house the door slammed shut behind them. The nemesis thought that it was the trap they placed, but it was really something else. All along the walls were dusty old paintings that were too old and damaged to make out. There were a few dusty boxes filled with books and even a mini shelf that held some bottles on it. Weirdly enough there was a clock at the far end of the room that was still working it was currently 12 AM.In the middle of the room was a podium that had a single lightbulb above it. There was no title or author and when they opened the book it was empty except for the last page written in red. 'This book belongs to L.C.' The person holding the book was Eric Crawford. Looking at everything but barely identifying things was Kiro. Asriel was busy looking at the paintings trying to see what they were. Ariel was busy dusting her shoulder off. Kody was looking at the book intently while Sarah Cold was staring out the window.

You may now begin doing actions in thread. After this is done you will begin in the Town Phase.
BRVR
Survivor
Survivor

Postby Multiuniverse » Fri Aug 23, 2019 8:38 am

/look behind some of the paintings

Multiuniverse

Postby transportowiec96 » Fri Aug 23, 2019 8:45 am

Skim through some of the books
transportowiec96#4236
Spoiler:

Jordan917222 wrote:

transportowiec96
Spy
Spy

Postby Jalandh » Fri Aug 23, 2019 3:44 pm

Ariel and Asriel, this is gonna be great)

/check on Sarah

You'll die.
Jalandh
[Forum Mafia XVI] Winner
[Forum Mafia XVI] Winner

Re: The Curse: Loser, Loser

Postby BRVR » Fri Aug 23, 2019 8:40 pm

Multiuniverse wrote:/look behind some of the paintings

You attempt to pry at the paintings, but they don't budge. On closer inspection they seem to be nailed at every two inches into the wall. You can barely peek behind them and see absolutely nothing. Mainly because it's dark, but there's likely to be nothing there.
transportowiec96 wrote:Skim through some of the books

Most of them are journals or diaries written in another language. I mean the ink's all smudged so you can't really tell what language it is. The only one that's still in decent condition is the final one. It looks like a near copy of the book you found on the podium. The only thing you can amount to a owner is 'With lovehate , to ----" with the name scribbled out and replaced by 'Wicked Witch'. It's filled with multiple genres of short stories. There's some scary ones, some romance ones, and mystery mostly.
Jalandh wrote:Ariel and Asriel, this is gonna be great)

/check on Sarah

Sarah looks at you from the corner of her eye before looking back out the window. "Sorry. Thought I saw somebody looking at us in the front yard. Anyways can we leave now? I'm sure we've completed the dare. Nothing scarys happened. All we found are some old books and learnt that the old owners of this house were lazy snobs." She glares at Kody a bit who is oblivious. "Anyways the only interesting places in this house were the basement which held that weird taxidermized bear, the master bedroom which only had a broken watch, and the kitchen which looked like it was picked clean recently. I feel like it's time for us to leave."

Sarah Cold wrote:/leave the house

Sarah attempts to open the door, but it doesn't budge. She shakes the doorknob a little before knocking on it. "Did one of you guys lock it or something?" Then it opens and she lets out a small smile. "Perfect! Alright I'll go grab my things from the master bedroom then I'm out! See you guys later!

Kody Bell wrote:/look at the bottles
"What's up with that book anyways. It looks like it was special to the previous owner. Did you investigate it clearly Eric?"

Upon wiping some of the dust off you see the name of a very old wine company. "Sweet! Anybody want a sip?" Nobody responds to him caught up in their own world. Kody shrugs and opens the bottle before taking a chug. As soon as he tastes it though he spits it all out and drops the bottle on his foot. The bottle doesn't shatter and it instead makes a loud thud. He hisses in pain. "That's the worst wine I've ever tasted! Isn't that stuff supposed to get better with age?"

The clock is now at 12:05.
BRVR
Survivor
Survivor

Postby Jalandh » Fri Aug 23, 2019 9:34 pm

(do we post where we go here?)

You'll die.
Jalandh
[Forum Mafia XVI] Winner
[Forum Mafia XVI] Winner

Postby BRVR » Fri Aug 23, 2019 10:38 pm

Jalandh wrote:(do we post where we go here?)

Yes. The area with the most people is the thread. Sarahs actions are in PM
BRVR
Survivor
Survivor

Postby Multiuniverse » Fri Aug 23, 2019 10:48 pm

"Yes. It's just a random ol' empty book."
/go to basement and grab the taxidermied bear

Multiuniverse

Postby BRVR » Sat Aug 24, 2019 12:22 am

At least 3 players must act before a turn ends.
BRVR
Survivor
Survivor

Postby transportowiec96 » Sat Aug 24, 2019 12:39 am

Follow Eric
transportowiec96#4236
Spoiler:

Jordan917222 wrote:

transportowiec96
Spy
Spy

Postby Jalandh » Sat Aug 24, 2019 1:56 am

/head out to one of the haunted houses

You'll die.
Jalandh
[Forum Mafia XVI] Winner
[Forum Mafia XVI] Winner

Postby BRVR » Sat Aug 24, 2019 11:34 am

Multiuniverse wrote:"Yes. It's just a random ol' empty book."
/go to basement and grab the taxidermied bear

You open the door only to find that the hallway has been completely changed. The hallway looks nothing like when you first walked in. In fact it seems like it's a bit bigger. You're at the end of the hallway and there's two doors on each side. At the other side of the hallway is the stairs that you think lead to the ground floor. The first door on the left is labeled 'Cleaning room', the second door on the left is labeled 'Room', the First door on the right is labeled 'Master Bedroom', and the final door is labeled 'Guest Room'.

transportowiec96 wrote:Follow Eric

You see the same thing as Eric.

Jalandh wrote:/head out to one of the haunted houses

You walk past all the doors and go to the ground floor. The ground floor is different too. There's a deer head mounted on the brick chimney that's on the far right side of the room. Opposite of it is a huge oil painting that looked recent. It was of some old man who looked like he was only a few days from dying holding a large amount of cash.. The stairs continue to the basement. You would have opened the door, but you hear footsteps behind you and a thud from the basement. You don't see anything though.

Kody Bell wrote:/head to the master bedroom
"Forgot my bag of clothes in there. They were expensive you know!"

Oblivious to the differences you head into the master bedroom. It's more or less the exact same. A bed that looks like it's never been used. An empty dresser covered in dust and 6 bags of your personal belongings in front of it. Kody frowns. "Hey didn't Ice Queen say that she was going to grab her stuff? Pretty sure her bag's still here... Did one of you guys bring a spare?" Kody exits the hallway. "Why're you lugging that big old book around anyways? It's empty right? Throw that thing in the trash." Then a thought comes to him. "Wait a sec... Maybe we can sell that thing for a lotta cash! It's pretty old right? It's also signed... It must be worth a lot! Check the name again... I might recognize it."

It is now 12:10.
The thread is currently the hallway. The people here are Kody, Transport, and Multi.
BRVR
Survivor
Survivor

Postby transportowiec96 » Sat Aug 24, 2019 1:36 pm

Make a move for the guest room
transportowiec96#4236
Spoiler:

Jordan917222 wrote:

transportowiec96
Spy
Spy

Postby Multiuniverse » Sat Aug 24, 2019 9:43 pm

"It's signed L.C. probably worthless but might make for a good diary."

"Now, what the hell is with this different set up? Did we took some hallucenogenics?"

/check "Room"

Multiuniverse

Postby BRVR » Sat Aug 24, 2019 10:58 pm

transportowiec96 wrote:Make a move for the guest room

You attempt to open the guest room and find that it's locked. You hear a whisper in your ear. Nobody else notices it.The doors all open forward and slam shut. Kody was barely inside the hallway and as a result he is pushed backward while letting out a yelp of pain. When you check to see what happened you find that the hallway is empty. Now there's nothing there at all. Not even an attic.

Multiuniverse wrote:"It's signed L.C. probably worthless but might make for a good diary."

"Now, what the hell is with this different set up? Did we took some hallucenogenics?"

/check "Room"

The above happened as you were grabbing the doorknob so you were pushed backwards onto the floor.

Kody Bell wrote:/Go grab my bag.

The above happened as you were going to enter the room and your finger was caught in the door. You look at it in fear of what happened only to see that you maybe broke it and didn't lose it. "I didn't slip anything in any of our drinks or food as far as I know!"

The clock strikes 12:15. A scream is heard from somewhere inside the house.
BRVR
Survivor
Survivor

Next

Return to Completed/Abandoned Games