Possible data breach

Announcements made here about the game and the company.

Re: Possible data breach

Postby Chemist1422 » Wed Jan 02, 2019 8:32 am

GoogleFeud wrote:Someone tried to access my account 13 hours ago from El Limón, Aragua, Venezuela, with IP 190.38.37.97, but Google stopped them :BlobTea:

So who do we report that to
mist ~ she/her

i guess this is goodbye?
(still here for danganronpa i guess)

stop sending reports to me i'm not a tos game moderator
Chemist1422
FM Game Moderator
FM Game Moderator

Postby TurdPile » Wed Jan 02, 2019 8:32 am

The password hashing is controlled by the forum software; the forum at the moment is deeply ingrained with interactions with the game, which makes any changes to the forum software literally game-breaking. With the Unity development, the BMG devs are working on completely decoupling the game from the forum and ditching PhpBB altogether for a better forum software (Vanilla is what was being discussed).
I have mostly rescinded my role as Admin.

All previous contact should instead be redirected to Flavorable.

If your inquiry doesn't directly have to do with Trial 2.0 or TrialBot, then please refrain from messaging.

Thank you.
TurdPile
Vampire
Vampire

Postby ApolloRD » Wed Jan 02, 2019 8:48 am

Achilles wrote:
Technetium wrote:
Wikipedia article on MD5 hash wrote:The weaknesses of MD5 have been exploited in the field, most infamously by the Flame malware in 2012. The CMU Software Engineering Institute considers MD5 essentially "cryptographically broken and unsuitable for further use".

So...if the hashing isn't doing its job...why is that hashing method in use?

Because we’re terrible developers obviously

Achilles I would seriously consider deleting this comment and reaching out to someone with experience in Data Security Management / Public Relations.
There are going to be a lot of people looking in on this with interest and this comment shows a concerning lack of responsibility and professionalism.
ApolloRD

Postby Stormbird » Wed Jan 02, 2019 9:01 am

Achilles wrote:
Technetium wrote:
Wikipedia article on MD5 hash wrote:The weaknesses of MD5 have been exploited in the field, most infamously by the Flame malware in 2012. The CMU Software Engineering Institute considers MD5 essentially "cryptographically broken and unsuitable for further use".

You got 7M accounts breached, and you can't even give responsibility. As for the emails falling in your "spam" folder, I call BS. You guys just sat on the breach for days.

Also, FYI, you are not GDPR-compliant. You'd better take action on this front too, or I have no doubt that you will be sued.
Stormbird

Postby MafiaMenace » Wed Jan 02, 2019 9:03 am

ApolloRD wrote:
Achilles wrote:
Technetium wrote:

Achilles I would seriously consider deleting this comment and reaching out to someone with experience in Data Security Management / Public Relations.
There are going to be a lot of people looking in on this with interest and this comment shows a concerning lack of responsibility and professionalism.

very big oopsie
Spoiler: Image

You’re going to be all right. You just stumbled over a stone in the road. It means nothing. Your goal lies far beyond this. Doesn’t it? I’m sure you’ll overcome this. You’ll walk again… soon.
MafiaMenace
Sheriff
Sheriff

Postby Operaismo » Wed Jan 02, 2019 9:14 am

omg.....

are you serious??? This is really bad omg.
Operaismo
Amnesiac
Amnesiac

Postby miksu56 » Wed Jan 02, 2019 9:57 am

Operaismo wrote:omg.....

are you serious??? This is really bad omg.

It's not that bad. If you change your Town of Salem password and your email password if it's the same as your Town of Salem password, and then you should be fine.

I doubt that anyone would bother to see if a username and password fit every single service they knew of and repeat that process for everyone they try to hack. Much easier to just see if email password is the same as the game password and from there to see how far they can go by using the same password.

Like Deagler wrote earlier:
Deagler wrote:- Change your ToS password to something secure
- If you used the same password somewhere else, Change that password
- Setup 2FA on important accounts and your e-mail

I also recommend going to Have I Been Pwned and signing up to get email notifications whenever they are informed of a data breach containing your email. Might also be a good idea to check if your email appears in any pastes and then report to pastes to Pastebin, even if the passwords were your old ones.
miksu56
Amnesiac
Amnesiac

Postby TurdPile » Wed Jan 02, 2019 9:57 am

Stormbird wrote:As for the emails falling in your "spam" folder, I call BS. You guys just sat on the breach for days.

They are working with vendors to investigate this.

And you wonder why he gave a snarky/sarcastic response when you make a comment like that right afterwards. Bravo.

Also, I just ran a test email on both Pwn and dehashed and both sent emails to my junk folder automatically (I am using hotmail). So it checks out on my side.

If your inquiry doesn't directly have to do with Trial 2.0 or TrialBot, then please refrain from messaging.

Thank you.
TurdPile
Vampire
Vampire

Postby YFYDB » Wed Jan 02, 2019 10:09 am

WATCH OUT IT'S A LONG ESSAY ABOUT HOW MUCH YOU DISSAPOINTED ME. DO NOT OPEN THE SPOILERS IF YOU DO NOT WANT TO READ THAT ALL.
Admins... I am a Christian, my religion forces me to respect every human being, but you lost my respect.
Spoiler: I never used to care if a website is safe or not. I was looking for anime for hours on unsafe websites will millions troyans on them... Nothing. Once when i was playing another game i was in a very small sect. I made an account on their forum, and then i left them, when i realized they are a sect... Nothing. I used to play a game, where players have been literally screaming from for the fear of hackers... Nothing.
You were one of the safest websites i made an account on. When i was making my account, i was only afraid, that people will recognise my nickname, because i am YFYDB in a few places, or that i will waste the account by leaving it and never using it again, but those didn't happen.
Spoiler: I used to tolerate the haters, who are all over the ToS, because i am rude myself.
I used to tolerate the spammers, because i know from my experience, that the boundary between spammers and just much talking people is small. I thought somebody is just teasing you, admins.
I forgave you the fact, that people responsible for spam-attack were your entrusted people, because i understand, that you may trust a wrong person.
I used to tolerate the annoying mods on the official Discord, who find me a hater and an anbleist. Are you psychopaths/sociopaths or do you understand, that it was humilitiating, when i was muted, only because troll and hater said "i have autism and YFYDB is rude to me" (when he was the rude one)? Do you find it okey, that moderators believe any troll, who says "i have autism"? Everybody can say "i have autism, tolerate me" and you should never make mods people who don't know it.

But that breanch (how ever it is typed) is the thing i CAN'T FORGIVE YOU.
I can't believe ToS, the community, where i belong, where i have found people, that means anything for me, where i became for the very first time "an experienced player", was hacked.

You should have known, there might be an attack. Why? I have no idea, if this is caused by people, who made spamming bots, but i know one thing for sure: spam-attack encouraged hackers to hack the game, because they knew, you struggled with the spam-bots, so hackers thought "if they struggled with something like that, they will never deal with proffesional attack". That's why you should have prepared stronger defense before your vacation.
I blame you.
OMG, i should become a proffesional writer for real. Sorry for such a long post.
tl;dr Admins should have forseen the attack and i don't like them anymore.

EDIT: i agree with that dude who said he has the right to complain. We must show admins that we need to be safe, because if we remain silent, they will think "users don't mind".
Last edited by YFYDB on Wed Jan 02, 2019 10:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
My avatar is a random picture found in the internet.
YFYDB
Witch
Witch

Postby Flavorable » Wed Jan 02, 2019 10:15 am

Companies get hacked and securities get breached all the time. While it's unfortunate, to the general consumer it's not as big a deal as everyone makes it out to be. If you use proper internet security etiquette yourself, there's not much people can do with your username and an encrypted password.
No reply to your support ticket after 15 business days? PM me with your ticket number.

You may PM me for clarifications on appeal verdicts, but keep in mind the verdict will not change.

Do you have 151+ games played and want to help rid the community of toxic players and gamethrowers? Join the Trial System today: https://www.blankmediagames.com/Trial/#start

Also, check out the Trial System Discord Server: https://discord.gg/K5SnyJS
Flavorable
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby TurdPile » Wed Jan 02, 2019 10:34 am

bkyblyat wrote:Sitting on a data breach like this is against GDPR. Considering EU citizens data got hacked, BMG can be fined. Interesting how this will turn out

GDPR is 72 hours for reporting, they made the announcement post at 3am (my time), about 4 or so hours after we were made aware of legitimacy of the breach. I was contacted about this at 2am by the devs asking if I knew any info about the breach that wasn't already made available, so really 1 hour from discovering to posting an announcement is well within GDPR regulation. The data deletion matter is a separate topic under GDPR though, but kind of outside the scope of this discussion.

Thank you.
TurdPile
Vampire
Vampire

Postby AnnoymousGracey » Wed Jan 02, 2019 10:37 am

But BMG new 4 days before it happened. That's too late.
AnnoymousGracey
Jester
Jester

Postby TurdPile » Wed Jan 02, 2019 10:43 am

bkyblyat wrote:That website claims they were made aware december 28. Besides, I don't think a simple forum post even qualifies for informing affected users

Just because they said they contacted, doesn't mean they got in contact.

I got a message at 2am saying "Just now seeing all this shit about a data breach, Anything in the trial's code that could compromise db access?" - that doesn't scream awareness about having known about the issue to you, does it?

Thank you.
TurdPile
Vampire
Vampire

Postby YFYDB » Wed Jan 02, 2019 10:55 am

Dare I touch this post with a 10 metre stick, but are you roleplaying your outrage?

No idea, what you mean by roleplaying my outrage, i am writing it over.

Of course, you can't forsee everything, but you have forseen a bit too little. No forgiveness for you all.
YFYDB
Witch
Witch

Postby Royee » Wed Jan 02, 2019 10:56 am

the biggest problem I see with this is people who don't know about this and all of their passwords are pretty much the same.
Recent Town game - 21A
Recent Mafia game - VFM73
Recent Neutral game - 17B
Royee
Easter 2020 Winner
Easter 2020 Winner

Postby goigle » Wed Jan 02, 2019 10:58 am

MD5 in 2018? Is that a joke?

Being an indie developer is no excuse, that's a negligent disregard for security.
I've also heard the forums are 5 years out of date, I'd that true? Newer versions of phpbb use more secure hashing algorithms
goigle

Postby YFYDB » Wed Jan 02, 2019 11:05 am

KatiyaKramer wrote:
YFYDB wrote:You were one of the safest websites i made an account on.

I would hate to know what other websites you use, because this was the farthest from being the safest site on the internet in terms of security... :BlobSweat:

It used to be.
Emm... Just regular websites with anime.

Yeah.... 5 years too old? It is named procrastination...
YFYDB
Witch
Witch

Postby Flavorable » Wed Jan 02, 2019 11:26 am

Tusillody wrote:
williewest wrote:
orangeandblack5 wrote:Now would be a great time to switch to https for the forums too, no? Unless I'm seeing things my browser keeps flashing "WEBSITE NOT SECURE" at me in bright red every time I try to log in lol

I can help with this. From what I've just tested, going into your bookmarks and editing the BMG ones to contain https:// at the beginning, and also adding it to the url of the page you're currently on in the url bar does seem to make it default to https instead of http.
Alternatively, if your browser does not do this as a function or it reverts back to http, there's a handy extension for Chrome, Firefox and Opera called Redirector by Einar Egilsson that can be used to make sure it redirects to https every time a BMG site is entered.

Edit: Better alternative- "HTTPS everywhere" (Thank kristian818 a couple posts down)

I have just logged into the town of salem website and was redirected here with an insecure link. We should not have to add the "s" to "https", these devs have left all of our data wide open for years. Now it's caught up to all of us.

"We're not a large company we are an indie company"

This excuse is bollocks. No excuse is good enough for all of the incompetence from this team. They will find the legal trouble they deserve, and soon.

I sincerely doubt there's any legal trouble over this. No one is ever obligated to use an https website.
No reply to your support ticket after 15 business days? PM me with your ticket number.

You may PM me for clarifications on appeal verdicts, but keep in mind the verdict will not change.

Do you have 151+ games played and want to help rid the community of toxic players and gamethrowers? Join the Trial System today: https://www.blankmediagames.com/Trial/#start

Also, check out the Trial System Discord Server: https://discord.gg/K5SnyJS
Flavorable
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby TurnaboutTeddy » Wed Jan 02, 2019 11:30 am

MafiaMenace wrote:
ApolloRD wrote:
Achilles wrote:
Technetium wrote:

very big oopsie

You should leave this one to the community manager I think
CaO :3

Favorite roles: Coven Leader, Coven Leader, Witch, Coven Leader, Coven Leader, and also Coven Leader!
Least favorite roles: All that other stuff. But screw Amnesiac in particular.
TurnaboutTeddy
Witch
Witch

Postby Technetium » Wed Jan 02, 2019 11:35 am

I don't really think yelling at BMG about how they let this happen is going to get it fixed.

In memory of those who have been deleted.
The last poster to survive Blindside Island will win a cookie. Or perhaps 1500...
Technetium#8515 on Discord
Technetium
Godfather
Godfather

Postby ChubbyMooshroom9 » Wed Jan 02, 2019 11:39 am

TurdPile wrote:The password hashing is controlled by the forum software; the forum at the moment is deeply ingrained with interactions with the game, which makes any changes to the forum software literally game-breaking. With the Unity development, the BMG devs are working on completely decoupling the game from the forum and ditching PhpBB altogether for a better forum software (Vanilla is what was being discussed).

Will I lose prosilver?

Hall of Fame
Spoiler:
Shino Thomson
Federico Decandia
Clayton (Briah)
Gebura Briah
ChubbyMooshroom9
FM Awards: Town

Postby MafiaMenace » Wed Jan 02, 2019 11:41 am

BonnieThePenguin wrote:
MafiaMenace wrote:
ApolloRD wrote:
Achilles wrote:
Technetium wrote:

very big oopsie

lol bro sis? this entire mess is a joke
Last edited by MafiaMenace on Wed Jan 02, 2019 11:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
Spoiler: Image

You’re going to be all right. You just stumbled over a stone in the road. It means nothing. Your goal lies far beyond this. Doesn’t it? I’m sure you’ll overcome this. You’ll walk again… soon.
MafiaMenace
Sheriff
Sheriff

Postby TurdPile » Wed Jan 02, 2019 11:45 am

Tusillody wrote:Edit: Just saw TurdPile's comment on GDPR time limit being 72 hours. This breach happened on December 22nd according to DeHashed and December 28th according to HaveIBeenPwnd.. That's a little longer than 72 hours. If you (The devs) expect anyone to believe that you had no clue about the breach until today then you're dumber than you think we are.

I, (not a dev, nor employee) do not care if you believe what I state as fact. Me doing my part to give proper information is enough to let me sleep at night; whether or not you want to believe the facts I tell you is up to you. The fact is GDPR regulations state 72 hours after awareness, not after occurrence. That is all I'm saying. Nothing more, nothing less. You can easily verify that information yourself.

Thank you.
TurdPile
Vampire
Vampire

Postby ChubbyMooshroom9 » Wed Jan 02, 2019 11:49 am

TurdPile wrote:
Tusillody wrote:Edit: Just saw TurdPile's comment on GDPR time limit being 72 hours. This breach happened on December 22nd according to DeHashed and December 28th according to HaveIBeenPwnd.. That's a little longer than 72 hours. If you (The devs) expect anyone to believe that you had no clue about the breach until today then you're dumber than you think we are.

I, (not a dev, nor employee) do not care if you believe what I state as fact. Me doing my part to give proper information is enough to let me sleep at night; whether or not you want to believe the facts I tell you is up to you. The fact is GDPR regulations state 72 hours after awareness, not after occurrence. That is all I'm saying. Nothing more, nothing less. You can easily verify that information yourself.

Ok that's cool and all but what about prosilver the masses await

Hall of Fame
Spoiler:
Shino Thomson
Federico Decandia
Clayton (Briah)
Gebura Briah
ChubbyMooshroom9

Postby TurnaboutTeddy » Wed Jan 02, 2019 11:57 am

MafiaMenace wrote:
BonnieThePenguin wrote:
MafiaMenace wrote:
ApolloRD wrote:
Achilles wrote:
Technetium wrote:

very big oopsie

lol bro sis? this entire mess is a joke

Smooth edit :Clapping:
CaO :3

Favorite roles: Coven Leader, Coven Leader, Witch, Coven Leader, Coven Leader, and also Coven Leader!
Least favorite roles: All that other stuff. But screw Amnesiac in particular.
TurnaboutTeddy
Witch
Witch

PreviousNext

Return to Announcements