Possible data breach

Announcements made here about the game and the company.

Re: Possible data breach

Postby S0me0ne23 » Wed Jan 02, 2019 5:51 am

Multiuniverse wrote:So why don't you guys change to use a better hashing software?

Switching to a different hash algorithm retroactively is hard because BMG shouldn't and hopefully don't have access to the unencrypted passwords. Maybe new passwords.
S0me0ne23
Lookout
Lookout

Postby Multiuniverse » Wed Jan 02, 2019 5:53 am

Oh, can't they just get a different hash algorithm and require users to put new passwords/the same password and confirm this is their account via email?

Thanks parker for the gif and SuperDuper for suggesting rotational sig
Multiuniverse
[Forum Mafia XVII] Winner
[Forum Mafia XVII] Winner

Postby Michael007800 » Wed Jan 02, 2019 5:54 am

Achilles wrote:
Technetium wrote:
Wikipedia article on MD5 hash wrote:The weaknesses of MD5 have been exploited in the field, most infamously by the Flame malware in 2012. The CMU Software Engineering Institute considers MD5 essentially "cryptographically broken and unsuitable for further use".

So...if the hashing isn't doing its job...why is that hashing method in use?

Because we’re terrible developers obviously

I'm sorry, but that is quite possibly the worst reply any dev could have possibly said at that moment.

I get it that the office may be stressed out over this issue and the community, aren't quite on your side, but the last thing anyone working for BMG should do is make a comment like that.
Better Mobile Forums? Support this!
viewtopic.php?f=14&t=9966

Don't click me!

Michael007800
Sponsor
Sponsor

Postby SnarkySneaks » Wed Jan 02, 2019 5:56 am

The IP and Email part are still pretty concerning..
SnarkySneaks

Postby Technetium » Wed Jan 02, 2019 5:59 am

This is probably a stupid idea, but what would prevent them from, say, using a new hash algorithm on top of the old one, re-hash all the existing passwords, and have login run the two hashes in sequence?

So currently it uses what we'll call Hash A.
When a password is input on login, it goes plaintext>Hash A and is checked against the stored password, already converted plaintext>Hash A before storing.

What I'm thinking, is, they convert all the stored passwords with another hash, we'll call it B, and have the login setup hash the passwords twice to match, so it goes plaintext>Hash A>Hash B.

Now, I figure there's very likely some reason why this wouldn't work, so if there is, could someone explain what that reason is?

In memory of those who have been deleted.
The last poster to survive Blindside Island will win a cookie. Or perhaps 1500...
Technetium#8515 on Discord
Technetium
Godfather
Godfather

Postby EvanManManMan » Wed Jan 02, 2019 6:10 am

EvanManManMan
FM Awards: Town

Postby Jackparrot » Wed Jan 02, 2019 6:11 am

Thank you for letting us know BMG. However I feel that you should increase the security of the game in general, as we recently had the bot attacks, and now we have this. I’d really suggest upgrading security for the entire game.

Do you plan on, or are looking into who did this? I would really like to know who did this so that you can bring them to court. An attack this big is probably carried out by some very vengeful people, therefore I suspect that the botters could be behind this.
I am not as active as I used to be, although I should be somewhat active.
Jackparrot
Sheriff
Sheriff

Postby kristian818 » Wed Jan 02, 2019 6:22 am

Jackparrot wrote:]
Do you plan on, or are looking into who did this? I would really like to know who did this so that you can bring them to court. An attack this big is probably carried out by some very vengeful people, therefore I suspect that the botters could be behind this.

Not to ruin your dreams of an evil mastermind targeting bmg only for some absurd reason (like botters) but usually hackers scan for vulnerable websites with a large userbase through various search engines and programs. Then they compromise said servers to steal information (especially billing information or email+password). This login data can then be used on other sites that hold sensitive data and be used for either phishing (sextortion as an example) or directly stealing data from other sites with a valid login. It is a lot easier to target a small site rather than a large site and since people reuse passwords quite often then chances are the hackers can hit a jackpot by hacking a small site.

Also this attack is not that big if you believe what is written by dehashed. A rfi or lfi attack does not demand a lot to actually be successful with and it is quick to run away from since the server itself is doing the compromising by handling files to users it shouldn't give them to.
Last edited by kristian818 on Wed Jan 02, 2019 6:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
kristian818
Jester
Jester

Postby Deagler » Wed Jan 02, 2019 6:23 am

Just let BMG handle it in peace, No one knows if BMG even has control of the hashing of the passwords... It could easily have been a phpBB vulnerability since those have existed in the past... It's amazing how everyone in the ToS community is suddenly an experienced Software Engineer and is so ready to put BMG to shame.

Yeah it happened, Yeah it sucks. Yeah they could have told us sooner. But so what, they were on a 5 day holiday when most software companies take 10 days during this time of the year. Give them a break and stop crying about it. Crying about it doesn't help the situation or speed up any process.

Data breaches are a reality in this day and age. Equifax actively tried to cover up their data breach for almost 3 months. BMG was on holiday for 5 days and didn't see a couple emails, relax guys... It's no big conspiracy

For now, since everyone is so worried:
- Change your ToS password to something secure
- If you used the same password somewhere else, Change that password
- Setup 2FA on important accounts and your e-mail
Deagler

Postby Knuffeldraak » Wed Jan 02, 2019 6:30 am

It's always best, regardless, to change your password with any kind of data breach. Always play the safe card.
25+ Wins:
Bodyguard Doctor Lookout
Survivor
Knuffeldraak
Retributionist
Retributionist

Postby azapf2277 » Wed Jan 02, 2019 6:31 am

So much crying going on here. Dont worry, nobody is gonna steal your bad credit.
azapf2277
Benefactor
Benefactor

Postby S0me0ne23 » Wed Jan 02, 2019 6:33 am

Technetium wrote:This is probably a stupid idea, but what would prevent them from, say, using a new hash algorithm on top of the old one, re-hash all the existing passwords, and have login run the two hashes in sequence?

So currently it uses what we'll call Hash A.
When a password is input on login, it goes plaintext>Hash A and is checked against the stored password, already converted plaintext>Hash A before storing.

What I'm thinking, is, they convert all the stored passwords with another hash, we'll call it B, and have the login setup hash the passwords twice to match, so it goes plaintext>Hash A>Hash B.

Now, I figure there's very likely some reason why this wouldn't work, so if there is, could someone explain what that reason is?

tl;dr is that doing a hash twice doesn't necessarily make it more secure than doing a hash once.
It's more complicated than that, like it would sort of make brute forcing a password harder, but you'd still be relying on MD5.
Like the problem isn't necessarily that somebody gets your password. The problem could very well be that somebody gets a seemingly random string of characters that just so happens to hash to the same value as your password.

I would recommend waiting until BMG fixes the issue to change your password on this site, as your new password could still be compromised until BMG fixes the vulnerability.
S0me0ne23
Lookout
Lookout

Postby kristian818 » Wed Jan 02, 2019 6:36 am

Deagler wrote:Just let BMG handle it in peace, No one knows if BMG even has control of the hashing of the passwords... It could easily have been a phpBB vulnerability since those have existed in the past... It's amazing how everyone in the ToS community is suddenly an experienced Software Engineer and is so ready to put BMG to shame.

Yeah it happened, Yeah it sucks. Yeah they could have told us sooner. But so what, they were on a 5 day holiday when most software companies take 10 days during this time of the year. Give them a break and stop crying about it. Crying about it doesn't help the situation or speed up any process.

Data breaches are a reality in this day and age. Equifax actively tried to cover up their data breach for almost 3 months. BMG was on holiday for 5 days and didn't see a couple emails, relax guys... It's no big conspiracy

Deagler, perhaps it would help if you read the article by dehashed (https://blog.dehashed.com/town-of-salem ... es-hacked/). They clearly state having called and received answer on December 28th. Their hashing algorithm is old and outdated, declared unsafe by various people in tech. All these things are not complicated and if you have the slightest interest in security as a hobby then you can understand it with a bit of reading. Mostly, people are unhappy with how the breach is handled, at least that is what I am, because breaches happen and sometimes in the weirdest ways. I bet if this really was a LFI or RFI attack then it was some weird form or file upload that accepted the attack. Easily forgetable and totally understandable, especially for a team of their size. However when they don't react to calls of a security site then it is a problem. No matter a vacation someone should always keep a little tab on logs and so on. Swap the duty around each day or something but just keep an eye out.
kristian818
Jester
Jester

Postby Deagler » Wed Jan 02, 2019 7:00 am

kristian818 wrote:
Deagler wrote:Just let BMG handle it in peace, No one knows if BMG even has control of the hashing of the passwords... It could easily have been a phpBB vulnerability since those have existed in the past... It's amazing how everyone in the ToS community is suddenly an experienced Software Engineer and is so ready to put BMG to shame.

Deagler, perhaps it would help if you read the article by dehashed (https://blog.dehashed.com/town-of-salem ... es-hacked/). They clearly state having called and received answer on December 28th. Their hashing algorithm is old and outdated, declared unsafe by various people in tech. All these things are not complicated and if you have the slightest interest in security as a hobby then you can understand it with a bit of reading. Mostly, people are unhappy with how the breach is handled, at least that is what I am, because breaches happen and sometimes in the weirdest ways. I bet if this really was a LFI or RFI attack then it was some weird form or file upload that accepted the attack. Easily forgetable and totally understandable, especially for a team of their size. However when they don't react to calls of a security site then it is a problem. No matter a vacation someone should always keep a little tab on logs and so on. Swap the duty around each day or something but just keep an eye out.

I've read the article and I actually have a professional interest in security (I work as a solutions architect&dev) so I do fully understand the implications of the breach. I don't really know why there is a mix of phpass(phpBB's newer stronger hashing algorithm) and MD5(phpBB3 fallback) hashes, but regardless the hashes found would imply that BMG didn't make a conscious decision to choose a weaker unsafe hashing algorithm and that it's controlled by phpBB. I'm sure they are well aware of the downfalls of MD5 themselves, I don't know why everyone is doubting them. Also in regards to the LFI/RFI attack, we don't even know if it's BMG's direct fault. Could just as easily be a phpBB vulnerability or a third-party plugin...

Also, Yeah they made contact and that's why I said they could have told us sooner in my previous reply. But everyone is ignoring that the first thing they did do was reach out to Rackspace to try and ensure they could fix the problem ASAP. As far as I'm concerned, BMG is doing their jobs and I'm sure they've already learnt a couple lessons from this.

Everyone just has to chill and let them handle it, No one is really helping by crying about them...
Last edited by Deagler on Wed Jan 02, 2019 7:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
Deagler

Postby ICECLIMBERS » Wed Jan 02, 2019 7:01 am

TheGarner wrote:Anyway to delete an account? Haven’t used this for years and only remembered it due to the news of the breach.

viewtopic.php?f=38&t=38940

literally the second post in the faq subforum :roll:
Spoiler: Image

in the distance the shelves
rode three shadows of blue
ICECLIMBERS
[Forum Mafia VII] Winner
[Forum Mafia VII] Winner

Postby ChubbyMooshroom9 » Wed Jan 02, 2019 7:08 am

https://haveibeenpwned.com/

if you want to check

Hall of Fame
Spoiler:
Shino Thomson
Federico Decandia
Clayton (Briah)
Gebura Briah
ChubbyMooshroom9

Postby Royee » Wed Jan 02, 2019 7:29 am

ChubbyMooshroom9 wrote:https://haveibeenpwned.com/

if you want to check

i am not in there, do i consider myself as safe?
Recent Town game - 21A
Recent Mafia game - VFM73
Recent Neutral game - 17B
Royee
Easter 2020 Winner
Easter 2020 Winner

Postby Bodhrak » Wed Jan 02, 2019 7:32 am

Royee wrote:

if you want to check

It's pretty much impossible not to be on there as the whole database was leaked.
Unless you changed your e-mail recently or you want to imply that wasn't the whole database, I guess you made an error.
You can call me Bod.
No, that's not my real name. Thanks for asking.
Bodhrak
Witch
Witch

Postby Royee » Wed Jan 02, 2019 7:41 am

Bodhrak wrote:
Royee wrote:

if you want to check

It's pretty much impossible not to be on there as the whole database was leaked.
Unless you changed your e-mail recently or you want to imply that wasn't the whole database, I guess you made an error.

It is updated. I am affected. Damn i moved email address because i was leaked in 3 sites.
Recent Town game - 21A
Royee
Easter 2020 Winner
Easter 2020 Winner

Postby Chemist1422 » Wed Jan 02, 2019 7:42 am

So what should we do about it if we have been pwned?
mist ~ she/her

i guess this is goodbye?
(still here for danganronpa i guess)

stop sending reports to me i'm not a tos game moderator
Chemist1422
FM Game Moderator
FM Game Moderator

Postby Royee » Wed Jan 02, 2019 7:44 am

Chemist1422 wrote:So what should we do about it if we have been pwned?

I am joining the question too.
What do we do besides changing the password?
Recent Town game - 21A
Royee
Easter 2020 Winner
Easter 2020 Winner

Postby iggyvolz » Wed Jan 02, 2019 7:46 am

Royee wrote:
Chemist1422 wrote:So what should we do about it if we have been pwned?

I am joining the question too.
What do we do besides changing the password?

If you use the password elsewhere (first off don't do that), change that too. No confirmation afaik that the breach is fixed so be ready to change it again if needed. That's pretty much it.

@Achilles - any idea if the breach has in fact been fixed?
Greatest failures/shitshows:
iggyvolz
Werewolf
Werewolf

Postby punjian » Wed Jan 02, 2019 8:10 am

Achilles wrote:
Technetium wrote:
Wikipedia article on MD5 hash wrote:The weaknesses of MD5 have been exploited in the field, most infamously by the Flame malware in 2012. The CMU Software Engineering Institute considers MD5 essentially "cryptographically broken and unsuitable for further use".

So...if the hashing isn't doing its job...why is that hashing method in use?

Because we’re terrible developers obviously

Wow can we ban him for being toxic pls? Keep this community clean please.
Tucker the
punjian
Survivor
Survivor

Postby ChubbyMooshroom9 » Wed Jan 02, 2019 8:15 am

Bodhrak wrote:
Royee wrote:

if you want to check

mfw my alts are fine but not my main

not like it matters lol the password is different

Hall of Fame
Spoiler:
Shino Thomson
Federico Decandia
Clayton (Briah)
Gebura Briah
ChubbyMooshroom9

Postby GoogleFeud » Wed Jan 02, 2019 8:30 am

Someone tried to access my account 13 hours ago from El Limón, Aragua, Venezuela, with IP 190.38.37.97, but Google stopped them :BlobTea:
GoogleFeud
Role Ideas Moderator
Role Ideas Moderator

PreviousNext

Return to Announcements