Ask a Catholic

Discuss about anything non-TOS related here. Keep responses high quality, or go to the Lounge 8-)

Ask a Catholic

Postby James2 » Tue Nov 21, 2017 12:26 am

If you've ever had questions about Catholicism, what it teaches, why, etc., then ask away. This thread is for both other Christians who want to know about the Catholic Church, what distinguishes Catholics and Protestants, and so forth, as well as for non-Christians who have questions about the Church.

This is not meant to be a debate thread, although questions touching on apologetics are welcome.
James2
Godfather
Godfather

Re: Ask a Catholic

Postby Shilster » Tue Nov 21, 2017 1:53 am

Why do you repeat the same prayer over 10 times?
Shilster
Werewolf
Werewolf

Postby Shilster » Tue Nov 21, 2017 2:07 am

Nopingout wrote:
JesuChristi666 wrote:Actually that's a good question. Especially seeing as how the Bible speaks against vain repetitions.

:thonk:

repetitions in general
Shilster
Werewolf
Werewolf

Postby Shilster » Tue Nov 21, 2017 2:13 am

Nopingout wrote:
Shilster wrote:
Nopingout wrote:
JesuChristi666 wrote:Actually that's a good question. Especially seeing as how the Bible speaks against vain repetitions.

:thonk:

repetitions in general

What verse? NEver heard about that

Matthew 6:7 if I'm not mistaken
Shilster
Werewolf
Werewolf

Postby HereThereEverywhere » Tue Nov 21, 2017 8:09 am

What's your opinion on religions that are radically different from your own?
canadian joker says a lot aboot society

Riskka#1854
HereThereEverywhere
Vampire Hunter
Vampire Hunter

Postby Shilster » Tue Nov 21, 2017 8:26 am

HereThereEverywhere wrote:What's your opinion on religions that are radically different from your own?

I just respect their beliefs.
Shilster
Werewolf
Werewolf

Postby HereThereEverywhere » Tue Nov 21, 2017 8:30 am

Shilster wrote:
HereThereEverywhere wrote:What's your opinion on religions that are radically different from your own?

I just respect their beliefs.

Are you a Catholic? If yes, thank you for the answer.
If no, please don't answer for them.

Riskka#1854
HereThereEverywhere
Vampire Hunter
Vampire Hunter

Postby James2 » Tue Nov 21, 2017 11:18 am

Shilster wrote:Why do you repeat the same prayer over 10 times?

“In praying, do not babble like the pagans, who think that they will be heard because of their many words” - Matthew 6:7

The pagans repeated their prayers because they worshipped many gods, and thus felt the need to “cover their bases” by invoking all of them. Obviously, this does not condemn all repetitive prayer, since the Bible itself contains repetitive prayers (e.g. Psalm 136, which repeats “for his love endures forever” at the end of each verse).

The reason why repetitive prayer is useful is because it better allows for meditation. Meditation is difficult or impossible when one must constantly think of the words one is to say.

Jesus Christ founded the Catholic Church as the vehicle for bringing salvation to the world, and calls all people to enter it. Therefore, all other religions are bad, insofar as they do not worship God in the way that he has prescribed. Basically all religions have some elements of truth in them (1), since there are some religious truths accessible to natural reason (that God exists, that he rewards the just and punishes the wicked, etc.), and also because many of them accept part of divine revelation (e.g. Judaism, Islam, Protestantism).

Despite the truth that is in a false religion, it is not salvific. It is possible for a non-Catholic to be saved if he is ignorant through no fault of his own (2) (e.g. an uncontacted Indian in South America who has knows basically nothing of Christ), however it is most difficult for this to happen even in that case, since the person would lack the grace which is conferred regularly through the sacraments.

(1) "This is the one Church of Christ which in the Creed is professed as one, holy, catholic and apostolic, which our Saviour, after His Resurrection, commissioned Peter to shepherd, and him and the other apostles to extend and direct with authority, which He erected for all ages as "the pillar and mainstay of the truth". This Church constituted and organized in the world as a society, subsists in the Catholic Church, which is governed by the successor of Peter and by the Bishops in communion with him, although many elements of sanctification and of truth are found outside of its visible structure. These elements, as gifts belonging to the Church of Christ, are forces impelling toward catholic unity." - Lumen Gentium #8

(2) "Here, too, our beloved sons and venerable brothers, it is again necessary to mention and censure a very grave error entrapping some Catholics who believe that it is possible to arrive at eternal salvation although living in error and alienated from the true faith and Catholic unity. Such belief is certainly opposed to Catholic teaching. There are, of course, those who are struggling with invincible ignorance about our most holy religion. Sincerely observing the natural law and its precepts inscribed by God on all hearts and ready to obey God, they live honest lives and are able to attain eternal life by the efficacious virtue of divine light and grace. Because God knows, searches and clearly understands the minds, hearts, thoughts, and nature of all, his supreme kindness and clemency do not permit anyone at all who is not guilty of deliberate sin to suffer eternal punishments." - Quanto Conficiamur Moerore #7
James2
Godfather
Godfather

Postby James2 » Tue Nov 21, 2017 3:23 pm

JesuChristi666 wrote:Question then. If it is impossible for people who do not receive communion to be saved. How then did the man on the right hand of Jesus enter heaven?

It’s not impossible to be saved without receiving communion, rather, to receive it is a precept imposed by Christ. Someone who would refuse to receive it during their life and at the hour of death would be damned for disobedience, but this obviously does not apply when it is impossible.
James2
Godfather
Godfather

Postby Alicitzen » Tue Nov 21, 2017 7:45 pm

Its like reading a church manuscript.
Discord: Alicitzen#1312
Alicitzen
Valentines 2017
Valentines 2017

Postby James2 » Tue Nov 21, 2017 8:26 pm

JesuChristi666 wrote:
James2 wrote:
JesuChristi666 wrote:Question then. If it is impossible for people who do not receive communion to be saved. How then did the man on the right hand of Jesus enter heaven?

It’s not impossible to be saved without receiving communion, rather, to receive it is a precept imposed by Christ. Someone who would refuse to receive it during their life and at the hour of death would be damned for disobedience, but this obviously does not apply when it is impossible.

Ok. Another question. Where in he Bible does it say you have to do the communion?

Jesus said to them, “Amen, amen, I say to you, unless you eat the flesh of the Son of Man and drink his blood, you do not have life within you.” - John 6:53
James2
Godfather
Godfather

Postby James2 » Tue Nov 21, 2017 9:25 pm

JesuChristi666 wrote:Ok. That explains it as something you should do at least once. But why should we do it constantly?

Christ commands us to receive communion because it is good for us to do so. There is no reason to limit it to once in one’s life.
James2
Godfather
Godfather

Postby ChubbyMooshroom9 » Wed Nov 22, 2017 10:46 am

Is being gay bad

Hall of Fame
Spoiler:
Shino Thomson
Federico Decandia
Clayton (Briah)
Gebura Briah
ChubbyMooshroom9
FM Awards: Town
FM Awards: Town

Postby Alicitzen » Wed Nov 22, 2017 11:11 am

ChubbyMooshroom9 wrote:Is being gay bad

Its better than being straight.
Alicitzen
Valentines 2017
Valentines 2017

Postby James2 » Wed Nov 22, 2017 2:34 pm

ChubbyMooshroom9 wrote:Is being gay bad

Homosexual acts are intrinsically gravely sinful (1). The same is true of sexual acts between persons of the opposite sex that are, by the very nature of the act, incapable of resulting in conception.

Individuals with homosexual inclinations, like anyone else, are called upon to resist their temptations. Obviously, promotion of homosexual behavior, attempts to normalize it and to give homosexual unions the approval of law, are gravely sinful (2).

(1) "Homosexuality refers to relations between men or between women who experience an exclusive or predominant sexual attraction toward persons of the same sex. It has taken a great variety of forms through the centuries and in different cultures. Its psychological genesis remains largely unexplained. Basing itself on Sacred Scripture, which presents homosexual acts as acts of grave depravity,141 tradition has always declared that "homosexual acts are intrinsically disordered."142 They are contrary to the natural law. They close the sexual act to the gift of life. They do not proceed from a genuine affective and sexual complementarity. Under no circumstances can they be approved." - Catechism of the Catholic Church #2357

(2) "In those situations where homosexual unions have been legally recognized or have been given the legal status and rights belonging to marriage, clear and emphatic opposition is a duty. One must refrain from any kind of formal cooperation in the enactment or application of such gravely unjust laws and, as far as possible, from material cooperation on the level of their application. In this area, everyone can exercise the right to conscientious objection." - Congregation for the Doctrine of the Faith, Considerations Regarding Proposals To Give Legal Recognition To Unions Between Homosexual Persons #5
James2
Godfather
Godfather

Postby HereThereEverywhere » Wed Nov 22, 2017 9:44 pm

Why do you follow God if it means looking down on a vast majority of your own people?

Riskka#1854
HereThereEverywhere
Vampire Hunter
Vampire Hunter

Postby James2 » Thu Nov 23, 2017 1:46 am

HereThereEverywhere wrote:Why do you follow God if . . .

God is the supreme good, and union with him is the end or goal of man. There can be no legitimate objection to following God.
James2
Godfather
Godfather

Postby Fenraiser » Thu Nov 23, 2017 5:40 am

How does your faith influence your interactions with others?
deathofrats0808 wrote:
James wrote:DEATH! I JUST WANT ONE MORE BREATH!
CAAN YOOOU GRANT MEE ONE MOOOORE PLEEEEEEEEAAASE!?

All out of breath I'm afraid. I only have existential dread left.
Fenraiser
Veteran
Veteran

Postby HereThereEverywhere » Thu Nov 23, 2017 9:38 am

James2 wrote:
HereThereEverywhere wrote:Why do you follow God if . . .

God is the supreme good, and union with him is the end or goal of man. There can be no legitimate objection to following God.

So you only follow God because you're told you're supposed to? Even if I believed God was real, I wouldn't care about what he thinks is sinful in relation to things like homosexuality and fucking the mouthhole. It's not my place to judge people who want to live their lives how they choose, and if God has a problem with that, I'll march straight into Hell with them. My legitimate objection is that if I need to follow a dictator to experience this supreme good, then I'll stick to my subjective good. If I don't make it into Heaven because I don't condemn people for having some fun in their lives in a way God detests despite having no negative impact on their lives, then I'm fine with that.

Riskka#1854
HereThereEverywhere
Vampire Hunter
Vampire Hunter

Postby James2 » Thu Nov 23, 2017 11:08 am

Fenraiser wrote:How does your faith influence your interactions with others?

Could you be more specific?

HereThereEverywhere wrote:So you only follow God because you're told you're supposed to? Even if I believed God was real, I wouldn't care about what he thinks is sinful in relation to things like homosexuality and fucking the mouthhole. It's not my place to judge people who want to live their lives how they choose, and if God has a problem with that, I'll march straight into Hell with them. My legitimate objection is that if I need to follow a dictator to experience this supreme good, then I'll stick to my subjective good. If I don't make it into Heaven because I don't condemn people for having some fun in their lives in a way God detests despite having no negative impact on their lives, then I'm fine with that.

By moralizing against God, you are intending to make a statement about Him, but in fact you are only making a statement about yourself.

God is the source of all that is, even the natural moral law has its basis in Him, insofar as he created nature and holds it in existence. That you do not understand why sodomy (or anything else) is wrong, means that you should educate yourself, not suppose that you know better than God.
James2
Godfather
Godfather

Postby HereThereEverywhere » Thu Nov 23, 2017 11:16 am

I'm not saying I know better than God. I'm saying that even if God is real, I don't care what he thinks. If he's real, he created me, sure. But even if he did, why do I have to follow his words exactly? If you have a kid, they don't have to listen to you once they're old enough, and I think I'm old enough to think for myself. When you create something and release it into the world, that something is no longer yours. An art piece gains new interpretations, a story gains new headcanon and ideas for why things happened, and people gain the will to do whatever it is they want, and if what they want doesn't harm others, why shouldn't they do it? If God has the right to tell me not to have sex with someone of the same gender, then do you have the right to tell people that your art piece means only one thing, and all other meanings are wrong? Do you have the right to dictate your child's life completely because you created them?

Riskka#1854
HereThereEverywhere
Vampire Hunter
Vampire Hunter

Postby NDM » Thu Nov 23, 2017 11:34 am

Why do Catholics deny evolution?
Spoiler: Thanks Archo and sorry for rushing you

Anyone who thinks they can debate me without evidence cannot win a debate. Anyone who just uses one quote as a point shows they are the failure, and prove the opposing side.

I suck at grammar. I admit it. Grammar is my lowest subject, compared to my math, reading, writing, science and history.
NDM
Godfather
Godfather

Postby Alicitzen » Thu Nov 23, 2017 12:11 pm

NDM wrote:Why do Catholics deny evolution?

You do realise thats not true?
Like its taught in nearly every school as fact, and the pope mentioned its valid too?
Alicitzen
Valentines 2017
Valentines 2017

Postby NDM » Thu Nov 23, 2017 12:15 pm

Sarah Thorpe wrote:

Like its taught in nearly every school as fact, and the pope mentioned its valid too?

No, I have seen a lot of Catholics [at least I think they are Catholics, could be Fundamentalists.] on YouTube and the Internet say evolution is false due to G-d's word.
Spoiler: Thanks Archo and sorry for rushing you

Anyone who thinks they can debate me without evidence cannot win a debate. Anyone who just uses one quote as a point shows they are the failure, and prove the opposing side.

I suck at grammar. I admit it. Grammar is my lowest subject, compared to my math, reading, writing, science and history.
NDM
Godfather
Godfather

Postby Alicitzen » Thu Nov 23, 2017 12:17 pm

NDM wrote:
Sarah Thorpe wrote:

No, I have seen a lot of Catholics [at least I think they are Catholics, could be Fundamentalists.] on YouTube and the Internet say evolution is false due to G-d's word.

Hi hello, roman catholic gay here who lives in the religious world of northern ireland and was in catholic based schooling for roughly 10 years(?)
those people are the crazies.
Alicitzen
Valentines 2017
Valentines 2017

Next

Return to Off-Topic Discussions