Gaminizing(?) of 'Being a good citizen"

Discuss about anything non-TOS related here. Keep responses high quality, or go to the Lounge 8-)

Is gamification of citizenship good or bad?

Good
No votes
Bad
35%
I was bored so I clicked this option.
18%
JOHN CENA
47%

Total votes : 17

Gaminizing(?) of 'Being a good citizen"

Postby Blackajack » Wed Jan 20, 2016 4:18 am

So I was watching some extra credits, who does analysis on the current state of games, and apparently they found out china might be making the term "Being a good citizen" a game.

Now there's not 100% proof that this system is as oppressive as it seems, but just so you guys know;

Every time you make an action, even purchasing stuff, you gain points.
More points = better citizen
At some stages you get benefits from your points, such as a quicker service
Points are decreased by performing anti-social activities or illegal moves.
Apparently, and while not confirmed, having friends that have less points than you drags your points down.
While there is no current penalty for having low points, they are thinking of removing some essentials and luxuries, such as a slower internet connection.

Now this isn't 100% true I'm sure but your opinion is valuable regardless - if this system was incorporated in your country/continent, what would the general reaction be for your peers?

Last edited by Blackajack on Fri Feb 05, 2016 3:48 am, edited 1 time in total.

Spoiler: Image
Blackajack
Jailor
Jailor

Re: Gaminizing(?) of 'Being a good citizen"

Postby Alzar » Wed Jan 20, 2016 6:09 am

Spoiler: FM Record Image
Click here if you like crime games/text RPGs.
A reckoning will not be postponed indefinitely.
Alzar
FM Logo Winner
FM Logo Winner

Postby VucubCaquix » Wed Jan 20, 2016 11:11 am

Blackajack wrote:Points are decreased by performing anti-social activities

gg me
Coming 2020 - Who is The Mole?
VucubCaquix
[Forum Mafia X] Winner
[Forum Mafia X] Winner

Postby SarahSaurus » Fri Jan 22, 2016 8:22 pm

This sounds really stupid. People have personalities and different personal preferences/needs. What is "anti-social activities" defined as? Would this just screw over introverts and people with personality disorder? Society shouldn't be made to revolve around one type of person, when there are so many out there. Trying to make everyone the same is A) never going to happen, B) only good for those seen as the "ideal", C) not going to help those who need help, D) boring, obnoxious, and stupid.

Also being a good citizen should be something we all aim for anyway. Citizenship is a privilege that unfortunately, most people take for granted. Citizenship comes with some duties and obligations, such as helping your fellow citizens, jury duty, paying your taxes, etc. To increase good citizenship, you should really find a way to make people WANT to be good citizens, and for internal/intrinsic reasons. A system of rewards/penalties is a weak motivation system as it is entirely external. The strongest motivation is always intrinsic. Not to mention- this just sounds like a popularity contest, and I can see it completely derailing from any relevancy to being a good citizen. It will simply become a giant, nation-wide popularity contest.

In fact, it sounds a lot like our American celebrities. They're famous, have famous friends, and occasionally do good deeds to keep up appearances.
Forum Mafia Record:
Spoiler: NFM16-Citizen, lose
NFM19-Spy, lose
CFM17-FM Bot (mafia lie detector), lose
NFM21-Vigilante, lose
SFM19-Dragon (1-shot BP), win
SFM20-Mafia Evangelist, lose
NFM24-Citizen, lose
SFM21-Tohru Adachi (Marshal), win
CFM18-ongoing
SarahSaurus
Werewolf
Werewolf

Postby LetitiaWilson » Thu Jan 28, 2016 8:52 am

Not going to lie, but this sounds like the plot for another knock-off of The Hunger Games
Sayonara, bitches.
LetitiaWilson
Mayor
Mayor

Postby GladeOS » Thu Jan 28, 2016 4:02 pm

Depending on how people react, it can be either :3 It could end up with a lot of people acting better or it could led to some people being pushed down...so good and not good :3
This gif is here because...hand waving ^_^
GladeOS
Bodyguard
Bodyguard

Postby JazzMusicStops » Mon Feb 01, 2016 1:58 am

I think I saw somewhere that one thing that decreases points is simply disliking communism

#FuckYouChina

Spoiler: I'm probably just going to lurk forever, posting occasionally
But if there ever comes a point where my account speaks its last
Know that it was a pleasure to be here, especially in Forum Games
During my teenage years, this place was my first real community
Thank you all so much for playing silly games with me
I'll never forget you
JazzMusicStops
Sponsor
Sponsor

Postby PiePerson » Mon Feb 01, 2016 7:52 am

Its the start of the end! its going to be full on dystopian society!
Children will be born from test tubes modified to be a specific intelligent upon their "birth" and will be assigned specific jobs!
Emotions will be completely negated though the use of a drug injected periodically throughout the day any offenders will be brought in and "rehabilitated"!
No Gandhi! Don't choose Democracy! NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!
When I feel down and out I click on this image for a song of empowerment and inspiration
PiePerson
Veteran
Veteran

Postby mmss5joker » Tue Feb 02, 2016 11:10 pm

I love how almsot everyone chose JOHN CENA!!!!! DA DA DA DAAAA, DA DA DA DAAA, DA DA DAAAA
IN GAME NAME: Suicidal Bob

CHECK THIS OUT, YOU WON'T REGRET IT: http://www.blankmediagames.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=36703
mmss5joker
Bodyguard
Bodyguard

Postby nightspirit174 » Thu Feb 04, 2016 11:25 am

Amazed no one's posted this, here's the extra credit video for those who want a bit of info: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lHcTKWiZ8sI
Remember:That which does not kill you was simply not permitted to do so for the purposes of the plot.
My avatar designs live in the spoiler below, click them to go to their topics: Spoiler: ImageImageImageImage
nightspirit174
Donor
Donor

Postby Lokiben » Sun Feb 07, 2016 3:22 pm

Yep, it's scary. I'm a bit of a Chinese culture buff, and am studying abroad in the spring, in the rural south. (I'll go dark on the forums during that time, btw)

The video summarizes it up nicely. It has nothing to do with communism, in fact China isn't very communist at all, despite what the CPC might tell you (In my opinion, China is closer to fascist than it is to capitalist.). It's about cutting people like Ai Weiwei and Chen Guangcheng off from their social media followings. Online communities like ours here are where most dissidents preach. The internet opened up a whole new venue for people to speak out publicly, yet anonymously, in the last decade or so, and China has been trying to find ways to shut it down ever since. They pay poor people 50 cents for every pro-CPC comment they post on a political thread. They have internet censors that go around deleting comments, banning IPs, and producing hilarious musical acts to raise support for their cause.

There are keywords such as 'Tiananmen' and 'Liu Xiaobo' that can get posters banned automatically, so the Chinese people come up with some pretty clever ways to discuss taboo subjects without being caught. 'June 4th' is a banned word, since that was the day of the Tiananmen Square Massacre, so forumers discuss 'May 35th' instead. Since Chinese is a tonal language, there are a plethora of homonyms for whatever you want to say, that sound the same but are written differently. 'Censorship' is "river crab', and 'Grass mud horse over the middle' sounds exactly like "Fuck your mother, CPC." The computers don't pick up on it. It's fun.

The sesame score is probably going to be devestating to public figures in open opposition of the CPC, but through anonymity and plain old ingenuity, the dissident internet subcultures will probably manage to keep evading the censors for a while longer. If you made it all the way through this post, and you're still interested, Google Ai Weiwei. He invented 'Grass mud horse', and has stuck it to the Chinese government in plenty of other hilarious ways over the years.
Lokiben
Investigator
Investigator

Return to Off-Topic Discussions