Do Neutral Benigns Have to be Harmless?

Yes
50%
No
50%

Total votes : 26

Do Neutral Benigns Have to be Harmless?

Postby Wzombie » Sun May 08, 2016 7:14 pm

I have heard varying opinions, but I want an overall view of what the forums thinks.
I usually go by the IGN "Linen Mather"

I blame PewDiePie

Check out my Courier Role

Spoiler:

VucubCaquix wrote:Our juice was already diluted with water. More water has been added, but the juice has long been too watery for a parrot like me to drink. And thus, nothing was truly changed.

-These words of wisdom are about the influx of new players brought upon us by the YouTubers.
Wzombie
Bodyguard
Bodyguard

Re: Do Neutral Benigns Have to be Harmless?

Postby PrinceofNeway » Sun May 08, 2016 7:28 pm

If they cause harm they are different neutrals. It's the very definition of "benign". Silly question.

/thread

IG Name: The White House
Favourite Role: Transporter
PrinceofNeway
Medium
Medium

Postby Kittenn1011 » Sun May 08, 2016 7:38 pm

I said, "yes"... but define "harmless"? Harmless to whom? By design only or are you asking whether or not they should chose to be harmless?

My opinion is that NB should be designed so they aren't OBLIGATED to be harmful to any particular side over any other.
Kittenn1011
Retributionist
Retributionist

Postby PrinceofNeway » Sun May 08, 2016 7:44 pm

Kittenn1011 wrote:I said, "yes"... but define "harmless"? Harmless to whom? By design only or are you asking whether or not they should chose to be harmless?

My opinion is that NB should be designed so they aren't OBLIGATED to be harmful to any particular side over any other.

I'd assume harmless in this game to mean unable to kill or negatively affect another player directly during a night phase and/or winnable with a large majority of if not all factions.

PrinceofNeway
Medium
Medium

Postby Wzombie » Sun May 08, 2016 8:06 pm

PrinceofNeway wrote:
Kittenn1011 wrote:I said, "yes"... but define "harmless"? Harmless to whom? By design only or are you asking whether or not they should chose to be harmless?

I'd assume harmless in this game to mean unable to kill or negatively affect another player directly during a night phase and/or winnable with a large majority of if not all factions.

That. Basically I'm asking, do neutral Benigns have to be useless?

I blame PewDiePie

Spoiler:

VucubCaquix wrote:Our juice was already diluted with water. More water has been added, but the juice has long been too watery for a parrot like me to drink. And thus, nothing was truly changed.

-These words of wisdom are about the influx of new players brought upon us by the YouTubers.
Wzombie
Bodyguard
Bodyguard

Postby PrinceofNeway » Sun May 08, 2016 8:17 pm

Harmless =/= Useless

PrinceofNeway
Medium
Medium

Postby Wzombie » Sun May 08, 2016 8:19 pm

PrinceofNeway wrote:Harmless =/= Useless

Ik, I'm just poking fun at the NBs

I blame PewDiePie

Spoiler:

Wzombie
Bodyguard
Bodyguard

Postby SpellChecker » Mon May 09, 2016 2:58 am

They aren't actually harmless, they are just extra vote.
Last edited by SpellChecker on Mon May 09, 2016 7:39 am, edited 1 time in total.

SpellChecker
Vampire
Vampire

Postby Technetium » Mon May 09, 2016 3:30 am

They don't have to be harmless, they just have to be capable of siding with anyone.

In memory of those who have been deleted.
The last poster to survive Blindside Island will win a cookie. Or perhaps 1500...
Technetium#8515 on Discord
Technetium
Godfather
Godfather

Postby sweetapples9 » Mon May 09, 2016 7:30 am

I wish they were "harmless". I played a game yesterday where the mafia killed a town member and cleaned them. The medium then talked to that member and then died the next day and put in their will that the cleaned town member was a Lookout and I disguised as them. Everyone when against me and got me lynched. I was veteran and there was already a "proven" vig so I was fucked. I was in fact veteran and then in dead chat I asked why df did he frame me as a disguiser. He said he just did it at random and he was LO.

At the end of the game it was found out that he was the Amne that picked me randomly and got my lynched and let the mafia win. That was the highlight of the game and everyone was mad at the amne, expect mafia of course.
I go by nicki ;)

If you feel offended by my opinion being different from yours, please PM me any concerns that you may have before name calling. :)

I love when i make threads get deleted (◕‿◕✿)
sweetapples9
Mayor
Mayor

Postby dota2reporter » Mon May 09, 2016 8:40 am

double
26-18 ToSFM
34-26 MU
0-3 MS

60-47
dota2reporter
[Forum Mafia XIX] Winner
[Forum Mafia XIX] Winner

Location: Somewhere in Kazakhstan, switching between UTC +5 and +6

Postby air3000 » Mon May 09, 2016 8:58 am

They're neutral for a reason. Amnesiac's turning into Arsonist's would be very harmful to opposing players. Lol.
air3000
Actually, just call me by my in game name: Red Skylight!
1500+ Games Strong, with 800+ wins.
Oh! And don't forget my Doge! He is really cool, as long as you don't gamethrow. If you do, he will BITE! :)

Favorite Roles: Arsonist, Godfather, Consigliere, Mafioso, Serial Killer, Jailor, Executioner

25 Wins as a:
Doctor, Investigator, Jailor, Lookout, Medium, Sheriff, Vigilante, Framer, Godfather, Mafioso, Arsonist, Jester, Serial Killer, Survivor

I accept all friend requests.
I'M FRIENDLY!!!!! >:(
air3000
Doctor
Doctor

Location: Definitely not standing in front of this gamethrower's house with a can of gasoline...

Postby VoidRuler » Mon May 09, 2016 9:29 am

I try to be harmless as a Neutral Benign to avoid being killed off, especially in the situation of an Arson/WW that can kill me out of spite.

But if a side is really doing that bad, then I might try to help them out. I've gotten Towns lynched as Survivor to help out the Mafia before. And alternatively, I've tried to help Town lynch pretty blatant scum.

I don't think they have to be harmless, but more often than not unless they're the deciding vote, they often are.
VoidRuler
Mafioso
Mafioso

Postby Wzombie » Mon May 09, 2016 11:24 am

Well, I meant this as in, when you make NB Role Ideas, do they have to be harmless, not do you have to be timid as a NB in-game. This is just for poll/discussion, i was just curious what people thought.

I blame PewDiePie

Spoiler:

Wzombie
Bodyguard
Bodyguard

Postby SarahSaurus » Mon May 09, 2016 11:27 am

If you have a tumor that's causing harm, it's not benign. If you have a tumor thats chillin there, not affecting anything, it's benign.

However, nothing is really "harmless" in this game. NB roles still end up having to pick a side, which means they are directly/indirectly harming SOMEONE in the game.
Forum Mafia Record:
Spoiler: NFM16-Citizen, lose
NFM19-Spy, lose
CFM17-FM Bot (mafia lie detector), lose
NFM21-Vigilante, lose
SFM19-Dragon (1-shot BP), win
SFM20-Mafia Evangelist, lose
NFM24-Citizen, lose
SFM21-Tohru Adachi (Marshal), win
CFM18-ongoing
SarahSaurus
Werewolf
Werewolf

Postby VoidRuler » Mon May 09, 2016 11:46 am

Wzombie wrote:Well, I meant this as in, when you make NB Role Ideas, do they have to be harmless, not do you have to be timid as a NB in-game. This is just for poll/discussion, i was just curious what people thought.

I didn't realize that was the intent of the thread.
I thought you meant whether or not they should just do nothing or actively/at least a little bit help out a side in-game.

In which case of the actual purpose of this thread, obviously yes because that's what benign means.
VoidRuler
Mafioso
Mafioso

Postby Raetah » Mon May 09, 2016 2:02 pm

No, Neutral Benigns don't have be Harmless.

And they are not. If you think that Survivor is harmless you have never seen me playing Survivor. I have obliterated Town and Mafia as Survivor.
Raetah

Postby PrinceofNeway » Mon May 09, 2016 2:14 pm

Use your brain guys this thread is clearly in reference to direct violence (being able to cause a night kill). We know already that it is inherent that a neutral benign is a havoc-wreaking swing vote in any game they manage to survive in, but that's not "harm" as posed by the OP- it's only verbal/voting power.

The second an Amne picks a role he is neither benign (unless he has become benign town) nor an Amne. Amnes themselves cannot harm directly- future kills have to be attributed to their selected role.

PrinceofNeway
Medium
Medium

Postby Raetah » Mon May 09, 2016 2:53 pm

PrinceofNeway wrote:Use your brain guys this thread is clearly in reference to direct violence (being able to cause a night kill). We know already that it is inherent that a neutral benign is a havoc-wreaking swing vote in any game they manage to survive in, but that's not "harm" as posed by the OP- it's only verbal/voting power.

The second an Amne picks a role he is neither benign (unless he has become benign town) nor an Amne. Amnes themselves cannot harm directly- future kills have to be attributed to their selected role.

My playstyle as Survivor goes beyond a simplier voter, Im telling you that I literally destroyed entire factions with my bare hands as Survivor. I dont need a night Kill to do that.
Raetah

Postby MisaTange » Mon May 09, 2016 4:08 pm

I've seen Survivors lead and carry the Town, which is probably how Rae plays Survivor. No way they are 100% harmless; I define Neutral Benigns as roles that can change sides very quickly.
/digger harkness voice

FM Record: 2-1-0
Spoiler: NFM26 - Consort - Won (lynched d4)
CFM18 - Neasans [Citizen] - Loss (Modkilled hilariously n2)
VFM2 - Citizen - Won
MisaTange
Veteran
Veteran

Postby jld3221 » Mon May 09, 2016 4:27 pm

Technically, they are harmless in the sense that they can't kill. However, they are an extra vote that is crucial to determining who wins.
Why are fun-sized candy bars called fun-sized? There is nothing fun about a candy bar that is 1/8 the size of a normal candy bar.
Spoiler: Image
jld3221
Doctor
Doctor

Postby Kittenn1011 » Mon May 09, 2016 7:51 pm

Okay, in light of further clarification:

I think survivors should not be obliged to be harmful to any particular over another, or all factions at the same time, and their night abilities shouldn't cause them to do things that are more helpful or harmful to one side over another, keeping in mind most night actions that involve others will most often involve town members, who have the majority.
Kittenn1011
Retributionist
Retributionist

Postby Mindslayer » Mon May 09, 2016 7:56 pm

harmless to town? survivor doesn't have to see the town lose, and doesn't have any night abilities to interfere with town. amnesiac is harmless until it chooses an evil role like ne, nk, nc, or maf where he must go against the town in some way (kind of exception to jester). other than that, nb's are just... there

likewise, surv poses no threat to scum, and only when an amnesiac picks town will it be harmful in some way to the evils.

of course in actual games they have to pick a side, so they're not truly harmless
My alt is trialtest, just in case another thing like this happens again :(
Mindslayer
Sheriff
Sheriff

Postby TheChosenOne095 » Tue May 10, 2016 12:07 am

Technetium wrote:They don't have to be harmless, they just have to be capable of siding with anyone.

Those are Neutrals in general. I'd say that in order for a role to be NB they must not be a direct or indirect threat to town nor mafia.
TheChosenOne095
Doctor
Doctor

Return to Town of Salem Discussion