"Traitors in Salem: Banshee and Poisoner Ability Reveal!"

Post anything related to the game here!

Re: "Traitors In Salem, The Latest Game From BlankMediaGames

Postby Descender » Sat May 01, 2021 6:44 pm

ChubbyMooshroom9 wrote:
itsmedash2 wrote:It'd be pretty weird to shut down servers for ToS unless they seriously can't afford servers for both games anymore

also genuinely curious if this game will start off as free with paid stuff like Town of Salem used to be, or if it'll start off paid. I'd probably lean towards the latter but who knows

They also wiped out trash because not enough server space.

I’d like to imagine TRASH did not take more data than the game, and if it did there are other problems at hand

through my very basic research,
if the devs made this forum in the laziest way possible the thread's size could be pretty big
and how big tos was as a flash game..
Possibly known as TodaysStory
TG Frequenter and Host
she/her
Descender
Role Ideas Moderator
Role Ideas Moderator

Postby LevinSnakesRise » Sat May 01, 2021 6:51 pm

I can't say much, mainly because it's not privy to staff, however there's no reason to believe the servers for Town of Salem will shut down once Traitors in Salem comes out, or any time soon after.
Please contact BMG with any questions regarding your account issues;
support@blankmediagames.zendesk.com

Thanks.
LevinSnakesRise
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby dolphina » Sat May 01, 2021 6:52 pm

Neat
Hi. I'm Caleb, and you're watching Disney Channel.

vocaloid KAITO #1 fan

He/they pronouns. Trans rights! I have fifteen names and infinite anxiety. I am the transgender masculine.

PM me for my Discord!
I’m a self proclaimed anarchist, and a god of chaos (apparently).
My stinky FM Record
dolphina
Blackmailer
Blackmailer

Postby itsmedash2 » Sat May 01, 2021 7:12 pm

Descender wrote:
ChubbyMooshroom9 wrote:
itsmedash2 wrote:It'd be pretty weird to shut down servers for ToS unless they seriously can't afford servers for both games anymore

also genuinely curious if this game will start off as free with paid stuff like Town of Salem used to be, or if it'll start off paid. I'd probably lean towards the latter but who knows

They also wiped out trash because not enough server space.

I’d like to imagine TRASH did not take more data than the game, and if it did there are other problems at hand

through my very basic research,
if the devs made this forum in the laziest way possible the thread's size could be pretty big
and how big tos was as a flash game..

how large would 10k+ pages be anyway
itsmedash2
Witch
Witch

Postby itsmedash2 » Sat May 01, 2021 7:32 pm

itsmedash2 wrote:how large would 10k+ pages be anyway

you know what I did this test myself by grabbing a random forum page that had what would be the average amount of text TRASH would have per page, disabling signatures and avatars. One page was 83 KB, so the 10k+ pages TRASH took up would probably be from 800 - 900 MB.
itsmedash2
Witch
Witch

Postby LevinSnakesRise » Sat May 01, 2021 7:38 pm

itsmedash2 wrote:
itsmedash2 wrote:how large would 10k+ pages be anyway

you know what I did this test myself by grabbing a random forum page that had what would be the average amount of text TRASH would have per page, disabling signatures and avatars. One page was 83 KB, so the 10k+ pages TRASH took up would probably be from 800 - 900 MB.

15k, and that's not including all the images and bigger shit-posts that were on the thread. I doubt TP remembers, but I asked just for curiosity sake, if he recalls roughly how big of a space it was taking up.

All I know is that it was eating away at the memory and breaking things on the back-end prior to deleting it, more-so during deletion, so all-in-all I'd easily say several Gigs.

In addition, webservers are usually smaller in size, so yes, a few Gigs can eat away at valuable space. (Look at the Trial Report clearing.)
Please contact BMG with any questions regarding your account issues;
support@blankmediagames.zendesk.com

Thanks.
LevinSnakesRise
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby itsmedash2 » Sat May 01, 2021 7:39 pm

Ah well doesn't matter all too much anyway because everyone (or at least the majority) who was active in that thread agreed that deleting it was for the best anyway
itsmedash2
Witch
Witch

Postby shapesifter13 » Sat May 01, 2021 7:58 pm

We have no plans to shut down the ToS servers.
shapesifter13
Developer
Developer

Postby Ezradekezra » Sat May 01, 2021 8:13 pm

shapesifter13 wrote:We have no plans to shut down the ToS servers.

Further question: Are there plans to make more balance changes and/or additions to ToS after the release of TiS?

I also never really commented on TiS that much, so I'd like to add that I'm keeping an open mind and will probably wait until Alpha testing begins to form an opinion.
Ezradekezra
Halloween 2020 Winner
Halloween 2020 Winner

Postby ChubbyMooshroom9 » Sat May 01, 2021 11:15 pm

please reconsider

Hall of Fame
Spoiler:
Shino Thomson
Federico Decandia
Clayton (Briah)
Gebura Briah
ChubbyMooshroom9
FM Awards: Town
FM Awards: Town

Postby StlnSP » Sun May 02, 2021 3:10 am

ChubbyMooshroom9 wrote:

please reconsider

I beg you
It's short for Stallion, but you can call me Stin.

FM Record: 0 / 0 / 0

Image Spoiler:
Goodbye, GrandChase.
StlnSP
Disguiser
Disguiser

Postby Alicitzen » Sun May 02, 2021 8:18 am

LevinSnakesRise wrote:I can't say much, mainly because it's not privy to staff, however there's no reason to believe the servers for Town of Salem will shut down once Traitors in Salem comes out, or any time soon after.

Kill the forums though
Discord: Alicitzen#1312
Alicitzen
Valentines 2017
Valentines 2017

Postby dolphina » Sun May 02, 2021 8:39 am

The forums might die
Hi. I'm Caleb, and you're watching Disney Channel.

vocaloid KAITO #1 fan

He/they pronouns. Trans rights! I have fifteen names and infinite anxiety. I am the transgender masculine.

PM me for my Discord!
I’m a self proclaimed anarchist, and a god of chaos (apparently).
My stinky FM Record
dolphina
Blackmailer
Blackmailer

Postby PleaseReadSiege » Sun May 02, 2021 10:40 am

Are there still plans to add new features to ToS? There's still a huge backlog of ideas and suggestions to make the base game better.
PleaseReadSiege
Investigator
Investigator

Postby Descender » Sun May 02, 2021 10:46 am

PleaseReadSiege wrote:

Are there still plans to add new features to ToS? There's still a huge backlog of ideas and suggestions to make the base game better.

if they dont support tos there will be controversy and the new game could take a hit
if they do support tos the playerbase could split and the new game could take a hit
so yeah, theyll probably like
add the things they said theyd add and leave it at that bc then the tos playerbase is content and will eventually (probably) shift over to the new game, unless theyre apart of the "why would i ever buy a game" portion of the community which shouldnt exist in the first place
this is all assuming the devs think this through
TG Frequenter and Host
she/her
Descender
Role Ideas Moderator
Role Ideas Moderator

Postby alex1234321 » Sun May 02, 2021 10:56 am

Best case scenario: The new game becomes massively popular, the devs don't completely give up on ToS, and some TiS players move to ToS causing both playerbases to grow
Likely case: The new game becomes popular, maybe moreso than ToS, part of the ToS playerbase sticks around for a little bit before eventually becoming too small to support 15p games
Worst case scenario: The devs invest all their resources into TiS but it still flops and ToS dies along with it for some reason
#SaveTheTG

Tired of trying to play discord Mafia games and not getting enough people? Join Town of Morons! We now have our own bot!

Credit to PurpleSidewalk1
alex1234321
Role Ideas Moderator
Role Ideas Moderator

Postby Royee » Sun May 02, 2021 3:16 pm

alex1234321 wrote:Best case scenario: The new game becomes massively popular, the devs don't completely give up on ToS, and some TiS players move to ToS causing both playerbases to grow
Likely case: The new game becomes popular, maybe moreso than ToS, part of the ToS playerbase sticks around for a little bit before eventually becoming too small to support 15p games
Worst case scenario: The devs invest all their resources into TiS but it still flops and ToS dies along with it for some reason

There is no likely case. In fact, we have little information about the game. Alongside with that, we have no clue about the interest of the "crowd"(Mafia players and among us players).
At first glimpse, it looks like BMG is trying to compete with among us. Let that be alone, like, how many thoughts have the devs put into this game? Among us seems like a dead game nowadays, how are they gonna bring players that will play constantly without getting bored quickly.
From an indie company, working on another game means neglect the other game. Also, another social deduction game will cause ToS player base to decrease.
I hope BMG knows what they are doing.
Recent Town game - 21A
Recent Mafia game - VFM73
Recent Neutral game - 17B
Royee
Easter 2020 Winner
Easter 2020 Winner

Postby Royee » Sun May 02, 2021 3:18 pm

Will TiS cost money?
Recent Town game - 21A
Recent Mafia game - VFM73
Recent Neutral game - 17B
Royee
Easter 2020 Winner
Easter 2020 Winner

Postby Descender » Sun May 02, 2021 3:33 pm

Royee wrote:Will TiS cost money?

after the botting situation probably
TG Frequenter and Host
she/her
Descender
Role Ideas Moderator
Role Ideas Moderator

Postby Joacgroso » Sun May 02, 2021 3:36 pm

I don't know, Town of Salem if one of the best games ever for trolling, due to several reasons. Trolling in TiS may be a lot less fun than trolling in ToS. If TiS is like among us, the chat will be a lot less important. Maybe town won't even need to vote in order to kill evils.
Joacgroso wrote:I feel like I went from Light Yagami to Keiichi Maebara.

I still hope one day the game will have private lobbies. They would really help.
Also, please nerf vampire hunters.
Joacgroso
Werewolf
Werewolf

Postby Descender » Sun May 02, 2021 3:39 pm

i dont think the devs have a good grasp on what people want so the fact they actually went for a new hame is slightly concerning
i hope at the very least they use the community to their advantage to make the game as good as possible
TG Frequenter and Host
she/her
Descender
Role Ideas Moderator
Role Ideas Moderator

Postby alex1234321 » Sun May 02, 2021 7:54 pm

As I've said many times in this thread, the devs are smart people and know what they're doing. Create a game and get almost 8 million people to play it and then let's talk.

I would assume that they've done extensive market research and decided that an Among Us clone would be successful given their current situation and the gaming landscape. A significant portion of the ToS playerbase, which is smaller than it used to be but still quite large, will switch to TiS. Plus, they can use all the money they've earned from ToS into marketing for TiS.

From a business perspective, it's a very smart move. ToS did incredibly well considering that it takes several months and hundreds of games to fully understand. Among us is a much simpler concept, which at least partially explains why Among Us became more popular than ToS. The popularity ceiling for TiS is likely lower than it was for Among Us since it's more complicated and a clone, but it is far higher than the ceiling for ToS. Especially considering the amount of money BMG can invest in marketing for TiS, I would be surprised if it doesn't become as popular as peak ToS. Anything is possible and there's a good chance it flops, but it definitely has the potential to succeed.

Of course, none of that makes me happy from a player perspective. I've spent far more time on ToS than I've ever spent on any other game, so of course I'm disappointed that they're going to shift focus to a new game. And I understand why other forumers and active ToS players would be upset. But don't forget that we're not representative of the millions of current and former ToS players.
#SaveTheTG

Tired of trying to play discord Mafia games and not getting enough people? Join Town of Morons! We now have our own bot!

alex1234321
Role Ideas Moderator
Role Ideas Moderator

Postby Joacgroso » Sun May 02, 2021 8:22 pm

Is ToS playerbase really that big? There are usually 100-150 ToS games being played at the same time (right now 113), which is 2250 players at best. Is that really a significant amount?
Joacgroso wrote:I feel like I went from Light Yagami to Keiichi Maebara.

I still hope one day the game will have private lobbies. They would really help.
Also, please nerf vampire hunters.
Joacgroso
Werewolf
Werewolf

Postby dbpeanut » Sun May 02, 2021 8:34 pm

Joacgroso wrote:Is ToS playerbase really that big? There are usually 100-150 ToS games being played at the same time (right now 113), which is 2250 players at best. Is that really a significant amount?

TOS's active playerbase is at best close to 10k. Inactive is much larger.
Keep in mind though that I'm only going off of what info is available to me.

That being said, a lot of the active playerbase is unaware of current events.
dbpeanut
Transporter
Transporter

Postby alex1234321 » Sun May 02, 2021 8:45 pm

Joacgroso wrote:Is ToS playerbase really that big? There are usually 100-150 ToS games being played at the same time (right now 113), which is 2250 players at best. Is that really a significant amount?

Let's say that there are 2,000 people online on average. I remember them saying that they were hoping for a 10-15% conversion rate to Coven, so let's assume that 10% of active ToS users immediately move to TiS. This is likely far lower than the actual number since TiS is a completely new game and ToS will almost certainly gradually die off after this. That means 200 TiS players at any given time. Among Us has 10 players, so TiS would likely be similar. That would mean 200/10 = 20 games at any one time. I looked up the average length of an Among Us game and it said 10-15 minutes, which feels high imo. Since TiS will be more complex, we can take the upper estimate of 15 minutes. 15 minutes / 20 games = 45 seconds to start a game. Even if there are 2-3 different modes with their own rolelists, it shouldn't be a problem to get a full lobby.

Assuming the average ToS player spends an hour playing per day, there are 2000 people * 24 hours / 1 hour = 48,000 active ToS players. Using the same 10% conversion rate to TiS, there would be 4,800 active TiS players just off of ToS.

A few thousand players is definitely not a lot, but it's more than enough to fill a lobby and prevent the game from being dead and flopping right off the bat. Of course with marketing they should be able to quickly get far more users, but it's a relatively safe bet that the game isn't going to be a complete failure.

dbpeanut wrote:

TOS's active playerbase is at best close to 10k. Inactive is much larger.
Keep in mind though that I'm only going off of what info is available to me.

That being said, a lot of the active playerbase is unaware of current events.

An active playerbase of 10k with 2k players online would mean that most players are online for 24 hours * 2k / 10k = 4.8 hours per day. I would consider myself an active player but I'm probably on less than 15 minutes per day on average. I spend a lot more time on the forums though. There are probably many casual players who play 1-2 games every few days when they feel like it.
#SaveTheTG

alex1234321
Role Ideas Moderator
Role Ideas Moderator

PreviousNext

Return to Town of Salem Discussion