Finally Hit Diamond Elo!

Post anything related to the game here!

Finally Hit Diamond Elo!

Postby ProjectSYD » Mon Sep 07, 2020 1:19 am

I used to play this game a LOT when I was in college and when I first moved in with my girlfriend (now wife). I was pretty good at the game but I also had a very bad habit of playing the game while drinking heavily. This would result in me playing badly and prevent me from climbing. I eventually stopped playing the game for many years (at least 3 years) and finally picked it back up again recently (about 2 weeks before August 2nd [my wedding day]).

I use questionable strategies, in fact, I've probably been reported a few times along the way. I personally don't believe that exploring new strategies is gamethrowing. One of the strategies I used early on was playing as a character called "Gamethrower Gary". I would threaten to go AFK at the start of every game, and would pretend to be AFK in a lot of games. People would get used to me being AFK, or people would just assume I was gamethrowing when I was evil and would ignore me. It got to the point though that most people began to recognize my strategy, so simply going AFK all the time when evil wasn't working for me. Instead, I began adopting various play styles in an attempt to prevent others from recognizing my strategy. This seemed to produce the best results long term.

Anyways, long story short. I finally hit 1803 elo and am now in diamond. It has been really fun. I really love playing this game and thinking of new ways of deceiving people. My one criticism of the game is that the term gamethrowing is tossed around way too much. If a player disagrees with another players strategy they get reported. A game with good matchmaking wouldn't have this issue because if a strategy weren't viable players would be matched with bad players. However, i've noticed that I end up getting mached with players from all different elos. But anyways, just my opinion on matchmaking. I'll leave it at that.
ProjectSYD
Benefactor
Benefactor

Re: Finally Hit Diamond Elo!

Postby TheFluffyWaffleV2 » Mon Sep 07, 2020 11:15 am

ProjectSYD wrote:My one criticism of the game is that the term gamethrowing is tossed around way too much. If a player disagrees with another players strategy they get reported. A game with good matchmaking wouldn't have this issue because if a strategy weren't viable players would be matched with bad players. However, i've noticed that I end up getting mached with players from all different elos. But anyways, just my opinion on matchmaking. I'll leave it at that.

I don’t think the ranked playerbase is big enough for for proper matchmaking :?
Retired Goop God
Spoiler:

jumpscare
TheFluffyWaffleV2
Retributionist
Retributionist

Re: Finally Hit Diamond Elo!

Postby ProjectSYD » Tue Sep 08, 2020 8:32 am

TheFluffyWaffleV2 wrote:
ProjectSYD wrote:My one criticism of the game is that the term gamethrowing is tossed around way too much. If a player disagrees with another players strategy they get reported. A game with good matchmaking wouldn't have this issue because if a strategy weren't viable players would be matched with bad players. However, i've noticed that I end up getting mached with players from all different elos. But anyways, just my opinion on matchmaking. I'll leave it at that.

I don’t think the ranked playerbase is big enough for for proper matchmaking :?

I mean, I've played games with much larger player bases that use elo system and you never get matched up with such a difference in elo rankings in games. Looking at steam statistics, the game has less than 2000 players at it's peak on steam last month. The total daily visits through their browser is just shy of 3000 visits (this statistic doesn't take into consideration whether or not someone has played). I sincerely doubt the majority of the player base are playing on mobile, so let's allocate another 5000 to mobile users (at peak). That's a total of 10,000 users at any given time.

While looking into this further, I can see that there are only 2632 players online right now (10:31am, EST on a Tuesday) with 180 active games. How can you have accurate match making with such a small player base? Remember, not everyone is playing Ranked TOS. There are many more game modes out there.
ProjectSYD
Benefactor
Benefactor

Return to Town of Salem Discussion