When should you post your will as sheriff? discuss

Post anything related to the game here!

When should you post your will as sheriff? discuss

Postby jelloman1 » Sat Jun 19, 2021 8:05 am

I mainly play CAA, so, bear that in mind when answering. When I roll sheriff, I generally don't claim unless I'm asked, or if I find a suspicious person, which unfortunately gets me lynched due to the meta, despite my reasons.

here is a list of all the things sheriff cannot detect, despite being evil in some capacity:

Amnesiac, Survivor, Guardian Angel (all 3 have a 50/50 chance of being evil, by pure changing, voting, or companionship, respectively)
Executioner
Jester
Witch
Vampire
Pirate (a wildcard that can kill townies)
Plaguebearer
Pestilence (50/50 chance whether the pestilence visits you or you visit them so they only have a 50/50 chance of dying if you put them down)
Godfather
Arsonist
Werewolf on nights 1 and 3
Juggernaut
Any 1 specific coven member after night 3, depending on who has the necronomicon (Coven leader, Poisoner, Hex Master, Medusa, Potion master, Necromancer)
Mafia who is disguised as town (Mafioso, Ambusher, Consort, Consigliere, Disguiser, Hypnotist, Blackmailer, Framer, Forger, Janitor)

For those too lazy to count, that's 24 evils, with 1 double up (Plaguebearer and Pestilence), 3 pure chaos roles (Pirate and Jester, with half a point to Amnesiac and Guardian Angel as both of those could go either way) and 2 roles that could possibly side with you and do nothing by the end of the match (Survivor, with - again - Guardian Angel and Amnesiac possibly siding with town, especially if the Angel's target dies)

Now lets see who the sheriff CAN detect:

Mafia, undisguised (see above, 10 roles)
Godfather, disguised as some other evil, such as Serial killer
Serial killer itself
Werewolf on nights 2 and 4+
Framed targets (which could be evil or good, making you possibly go back and double check them if an Invest says they're 'Framer, Jester, Hex, Vamp')
Coven without the necronomicon (see above, 6 roles)
Hexed targets (see framed targets, only this time, no matter how many times they're checked, they'll show as suspicious)

Once again, for those too lazy to count, that's 18 definitive roles that can be detected as evil, with more via Framer and Hex master, but those could also be town, making you look more suspicious if you hang them.

So, after all that, that brings me to my point, why would I post my will daily to say half the town is inno, only to find out that they're WW that I checked on night 1, or Necromancer that I checked on night 3 etc.
jelloman1
Benefactor
Benefactor

Re: When should you post your will as sheriff? discuss

Postby Ezradekezra » Sat Jun 19, 2021 9:17 am

jelloman1 wrote:So, after all that, that brings me to my point, why would I post my will daily to say half the town is inno, only to find out that they're WW that I checked on night 1, or Necromancer that I checked on night 3 etc.

Because not posting is going to get you mislynched?

It's pretty anti-Town to hold off on posting your TI will (unless you're a LO that knows who the TPs are), since that deprives the Town of information, even if it's not the most useful.
Ezradekezra
Halloween 2020 Winner
Halloween 2020 Winner

Postby superdog551 » Sat Jun 19, 2021 2:45 pm

You should post a sheriff will EVERY DAY. Despite popular belief, finding someone as innocent is still very useful information to the town.

Posting daily even if you are checking people who are inno does multiple things:
-Gets your claim out immediately which puts pressure on evils that want to fake claim Ti
-Gets your claim out in case you are cleaned/forged/stoned
-Can confirm townies quickly and counter mislynches
-Helps coordinate with other Sheriffs, invests, and even jailor/vig since they know who has already been checked
-Makes you seem less suspicious when you call someone sus ~D4 without claiming beforehand
joaodasalmas wrote:Abilities: You can reveal yourself as the King Potato, and now you can't be voted.

My Roles:
Charmer
Oracle
Associate

Get in here and count to 200300 before 2030!
In-game my name is Jay
superdog551
Halloween 2020 Winner
Halloween 2020 Winner

Postby Joacgroso » Sat Jun 19, 2021 3:24 pm

superdog551 wrote:-Gets your claim out immediately which puts pressure on evils that want to fake claim Ti

Can a claim really put pressure into evils in a gamemode with unlimited claimspace?

I agree that sheriffs are UP, but that doesn't mean they should hide. If they are suddenly questioned and all they have is a sheriff claim with a bunch of NSs, they are going to die. It also gives them a bit more of credibility, even if they don't find anything. I guess invests will probably check non claimers, but there's a chance one of them checks you and backs you up.

The main advantage of remaining hidden is that evils are more likely to attack you if they think you may be a threat, which moves them away from actually important townies. So I guess you can try to subtly bait them. But it may be better if you try to get them to kill each other, since you don't know how many townies there are.
Joacgroso wrote:I feel like I went from Light Yagami to Keiichi Maebara.

I still hope one day the game will have private lobbies. They would really help.
Also, please nerf vampire hunters.
Joacgroso
Werewolf
Werewolf

Postby superdog551 » Sat Jun 19, 2021 7:54 pm

Joacgroso wrote:Can a claim really put pressure into evils in a gamemode with unlimited claimspace?

Yes because the evils wills have to match your will. If one is fake claiming Lookout then they need to edit their will to include your visit. If they are fake claiming sheriff/invest it is much harder for them to have a fake will or push a mislynch. If an evil fakes sheriff and contradicts something in your will it is hard for them to back out of it.

Yeah you could just post your will as soon as you notice the discrepancy but you are less likely to be believed in that scenario. "Oh you haven't posted but now you are counter claiming the sheriff? Must be exe."

That's how I see it anyway. I always post as sheriff in any game mode
joaodasalmas wrote:Abilities: You can reveal yourself as the King Potato, and now you can't be voted.

My Roles:
Charmer
Oracle
Associate

Get in here and count to 200300 before 2030!
In-game my name is Jay
superdog551
Halloween 2020 Winner
Halloween 2020 Winner

Postby jelloman1 » Sat Jun 19, 2021 8:05 pm

I'm not saying that I won't CC a claim like LO saying they visited the person I visited, but rather if I do visit someone, and they turn up as inno, I just won't say it, as I don't want to interrogate an arsonist, call him inno and then die the next day.
jelloman1
Benefactor
Benefactor

Postby Ezradekezra » Sat Jun 19, 2021 8:11 pm

jelloman1 wrote:I'm not saying that I won't CC a claim like LO saying they visited the person I visited, but rather if I do visit someone, and they turn up as inno, I just won't say it, as I don't want to interrogate an arsonist, call him inno and then die the next day.

If you do that, then don't be surprised if people don't believe it when you do finally post your will.
Ezradekezra
Halloween 2020 Winner
Halloween 2020 Winner

Postby syjfwbaobfwl » Sat Jun 19, 2021 10:17 pm

Everyday, the only exception you MIGHT make (which is still a bad idea) is in case you were rbed/jailed, otherwise your claim is less trusted

Also in CAA you dont know the role list so...
syjfwbaobfwl
Jailor
Jailor

Postby jelloman1 » Sun Jun 20, 2021 3:12 pm

part of my reasoning is, just last night i had a role list of
vamp
psy
tracker
bg
mayor
spy
mafioso
spy
potion master
surv
sheriff
doc
pirate
vamp
sheriff

due to being solo coven, pm outted herself day 1, and invested the mafioso, tried to "team up with them" but got hung and while on the stand, she called the mafioso out, meaning by day 3 the only evils were literally vampires. which immediately caused the town to vote both sheriffs off since every night all they posted were " 1 = inno, 2 = inno" etc. even the spies were more trustworthy, despite both of them being bit days 5 and 7 or whatnot, with their will of "no maf, no coven, no maf no coven" etc
jelloman1
Benefactor
Benefactor

Postby kyuss420 » Mon Jun 21, 2021 5:16 am

in AA better to claim sheriff after the WW/Poisoner is dead, since people seem to love to claim from invest results.... and townies love to lynch anyone claiming something thats a ''poisoner claim'' or a ''ww claim''

Also if you find someone sus n1 or n2, better to say so than ''gather more evidence'' (yes Ive seen a sheriff hung for claiming day 4 with a n1 sus, saying ''I was gathering evidence'' when on trial)

Also agree with superdog, that a n1 inno, or a n2 inno is also important info that can save the game later on.

Also AA doesnt have unlimited claim space, anyone using logic usually has the role list figured out by day 4 in a town heavy match (unless town is full of silent players who like to give the evils a 3 night head start by not sharing info until day 4, then getting themselves mislynched), or know that its evil majority by day 4...where it wouldnt matter when you claimed sheriff cos town isnt winning anyway.

But as you pointed out, sheriff is so underpowered that evils are basically wasting a night by killing you, so may as well claim early and give them the oppurtunity to waste their time....coven isnt killing sheriff if Hex Master is in play, The necro holder isnt wasting time on sheriff n3+, maf isnt killing sheriff if framer is in play, the only real threat you pose is to an SK, as youre more likely to get a townie mislynched or an opposing evil faction member lynched in those situations, especially if coven is good at sheeping people.

So even in AA, if theres pros in game (and theyre town) its more likely to be a town win, if you claim early.

But with my experience in AA lately, people leave as soon as they die, so maybe better off to stay hidden, so you can try and vote out scum when town has lost majority and night kill power, but at least you get 3 more nights in play than all the other noobs who were playing smart. Cos being alive for an extra 3 days is much more fun than outsmarting evils and winning while dead.
goosegoosegoosegoosegoose
Spoiler: Image Spoiler: Image Spoiler: Image Spoiler: Image Spoiler: Image
kyuss420
Serial Killer
Serial Killer

Postby genericnpc » Sun Jun 27, 2021 9:26 pm

Spoiler: don't
genericnpc
Bodyguard
Bodyguard

Postby xXMLGBongHitsXx » Tue Jul 20, 2021 1:13 am

you should never post your will at anytime on TOS.... it never works out well :/ at least for me
xXMLGBongHitsXx

Postby TerraHunter » Fri Aug 06, 2021 6:20 pm

A sheriff should be posting everyday. It's one of the least useful roles and shouldn't be afraid of being attacked over tp or ts.
TerraHunter
Amnesiac
Amnesiac

Postby SilverCruz » Mon Aug 09, 2021 2:41 am

Ezradekezra wrote:
jelloman1 wrote:So, after all that, that brings me to my point, why would I post my will daily to say half the town is inno, only to find out that they're WW that I checked on night 1, or Necromancer that I checked on night 3 etc.

Because not posting is going to get you mislynched?

It's pretty anti-Town to hold off on posting your TI will (unless you're a LO that knows who the TPs are), since that deprives the Town of information, even if it's not the most useful.

The way Town responds to possible Executioners makes it kind of threatening to show your hand. I find preference in being quiet until there's a critical juncture (town must vote or lose majority) or you can out at least two baddies at once. Due to how spotchy Sheriff's night ability is, I'd rather try to stick around for voting time.

'course, the Town doesn't like that because they tend to feel entitled to everything, so ya'know whatever.
I know what I'm doing, generally, but I have no grace at all when things start to spin out of control.

I'd like to address the latter part, but I wouldn't know the first thing about that.
SilverCruz
Sheriff
Sheriff

Postby Colorbolt » Mon Aug 09, 2021 2:34 pm

In CAA, you should always assume that town doesn't have majority straight from D1. Because that's usually what ends up happening. I would argue that even if you find someone suspicious, you shouldn't share that information immediately in CAA. You would just die immediately that night, and you could very well be the only townie in the entire game. You're better off going for staying alive longer.
Colorbolt
Jester
Jester

Postby syjfwbaobfwl » Mon Aug 09, 2021 5:44 pm

Colorbolt wrote:In CAA, you should always assume that town doesn't have majority straight from D1. Because that's usually what ends up happening. I would argue that even if you find someone suspicious, you shouldn't share that information immediately in CAA. You would just die immediately that night, and you could very well be the only townie in the entire game. You're better off going for staying alive longer.

No offense but that mentality is very flawed

Even if you are the only townie, no one in the game knows that, and suposing you are not accused of being an executioner, everyone assumes 2 things

1, town is majority
2, the sus guy is an enemy (suposing it is not from their own faction), so even if you are the only townie, the others will follow your push

And you wont die that fast

Evils will assume a TP exists, and some might even let you live to find the enemy faction
syjfwbaobfwl
Jailor
Jailor

Postby kyuss420 » Thu Aug 12, 2021 2:22 am

syjfwbaobfwl wrote:
Colorbolt wrote:In CAA, you should always assume that town doesn't have majority straight from D1. Because that's usually what ends up happening. I would argue that even if you find someone suspicious, you shouldn't share that information immediately in CAA. You would just die immediately that night, and you could very well be the only townie in the entire game. You're better off going for staying alive longer.

No offense but that mentality is very flawed

Even if you are the only townie, no one in the game knows that, and suposing you are not accused of being an executioner, everyone assumes 2 things

1, town is majority
2, the sus guy is an enemy (suposing it is not from their own faction), so even if you are the only townie, the others will follow your push

And you wont die that fast

Evils will assume a TP exists, and some might even let you live to find the enemy faction

yep...as someone who scrolls evil roles majority of the time, no one cares about sheriff. Optimal targeting wise, sheriff is waaaay down the list. With that point, Id argue that claiming sheriff actually keeps you alive longer, because if evils know youre sheriff, they know your not TP/Jailor/ TK or any town role that poses a real threat when theres a close majority. POE isnt just a townie tactic, and rando targeting or targeting for sake of getting an easy +1 kill, isnt going to win you more games than losing them in the long run.
kyuss420
Serial Killer
Serial Killer

Postby Amythyr » Wed Aug 18, 2021 8:12 am

I post daily as every TI except lookout
“Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.”
― George Carlin
Amythyr
Sheriff
Sheriff

Postby kyuss420 » Sat Aug 21, 2021 9:11 pm

Amythyr wrote:I post daily as every TI except lookout

you also post TI wills daily as RM and RC sooo lynchy lynchy
kyuss420
Serial Killer
Serial Killer

Postby CoolBottleOfWater » Fri Sep 03, 2021 5:42 pm

I think you should just post all the time because if its a late claim sheriff is so easy that it can look like you're a maf pulling a claim out of nowhere. if RM claims it then they have to commit to a sheriff claim all game after that and if the RTs are looking full who knows. I think its just good so that people know what roles we have and besides maf probably has better targets than a sheriff. but if its CAA still do it because late looks sus
CoolBottleOfWater

Return to Town of Salem Discussion