"Traitors in Salem: Banshee and Poisoner Ability Reveal!"

Post anything related to the game here!

Re: "Traitors In Salem, The Latest Game From BlankMediaGames

Postby dbpeanut » Sun May 02, 2021 9:03 pm

Your math is good, it just doesn't account for low periods, player mood, etc etc. There's a lot of factors that go into both playtime and conversion that are frankly impossible to calculate.
dbpeanut
Transporter
Transporter

Postby Royee » Mon May 03, 2021 4:36 am

alex1234321 wrote:As I've said many times in this thread, the devs are smart people and know what they're doing. Create a game and get almost 8 million people to play it and then let's talk.

I would assume that they've done extensive market research and decided that an Among Us clone would be successful given their current situation and the gaming landscape. A significant portion of the ToS playerbase, which is smaller than it used to be but still quite large, will switch to TiS. Plus, they can use all the money they've earned from ToS into marketing for TiS.

From a business perspective, it's a very smart move. ToS did incredibly well considering that it takes several months and hundreds of games to fully understand. Among us is a much simpler concept, which at least partially explains why Among Us became more popular than ToS. The popularity ceiling for TiS is likely lower than it was for Among Us since it's more complicated and a clone, but it is far higher than the ceiling for ToS. Especially considering the amount of money BMG can invest in marketing for TiS, I would be surprised if it doesn't become as popular as peak ToS. Anything is possible and there's a good chance it flops, but it definitely has the potential to succeed.

Of course, none of that makes me happy from a player perspective. I've spent far more time on ToS than I've ever spent on any other game, so of course I'm disappointed that they're going to shift focus to a new game. And I understand why other forumers and active ToS players would be upset. But don't forget that we're not representative of the millions of current and former ToS players.

I mean after using pewds and mark to advertise it, sure thing.
My concern is that the game will be rushed, since if BMG goes with among us route it means the game's idea came out only in the last year.
It appears to me that ToS is dying and BMG are making a risky move to have a fixed income.
In the end, what is the motivation behind this game?
Recent Town game - 21A
Recent Mafia game - VFM73
Recent Neutral game - 17B
Royee
Easter 2020 Winner
Easter 2020 Winner

Postby Midio7 » Mon May 03, 2021 12:03 pm

They could make so TIS will be paid but TOS players who played this game before the start of TIS would get it for free, or that Alpha players would get it for free, since all the Alpha Players that will be will come from TOS. It's unlikely, and probably the game will cost money.
Just a guy who plays Town Of Salem daily
Midio7
Lookout
Lookout

Re: "Traitors In Salem, The Lastest Game From BlankMediaGame

Postby DiamondRanger8 » Tue May 04, 2021 1:06 pm

alex1234321 wrote:
DiamondRanger8 wrote:Ngl this is cool to see, but 2 factions doesn't sound very great. My favorite part about Town of Salem is that many different factions would battle to the death until one reigns supreme over all the others. Now, it's basically just like Among Us.

I was hoping for anything other than a graphical update or an Among Us clone but now that it's an Among Us clone I am disappointed about the lack of Neutrals. "Kingmaker situations" doesn't seem like a good excuse for not having them. Neutrals are my favorite part of ToS and I wouldn't be surprised if they're the most popular alignment.

Exactly. There are much better ways to decrease kingmaking situation than to just remove neutrals all together. Also how often is there ever a kingmaking situation with Jester, since it needs to be lynched to win, so why remove Jester from the neutrals?
DiamondRanger8
Investigator
Investigator

Postby alex1234321 » Tue May 04, 2021 1:28 pm

DiamondRanger8 wrote:
alex1234321 wrote:
DiamondRanger8 wrote:Ngl this is cool to see, but 2 factions doesn't sound very great. My favorite part about Town of Salem is that many different factions would battle to the death until one reigns supreme over all the others. Now, it's basically just like Among Us.

I was hoping for anything other than a graphical update or an Among Us clone but now that it's an Among Us clone I am disappointed about the lack of Neutrals. "Kingmaker situations" doesn't seem like a good excuse for not having them. Neutrals are my favorite part of ToS and I wouldn't be surprised if they're the most popular alignment.

Exactly. There are much better ways to decrease kingmaking situation than to just remove neutrals all together. Also how often is there ever a kingmaking situation with Jester, since it needs to be lynched to win, so why remove Jester from the neutrals?

To me it seems like an excuse. Like maybe it's harder to program a game where there are more than two teams. Maybe once the game is up and running they add a Neutral or two tho.
#SaveTheTG

Tired of trying to play discord Mafia games and not getting enough people? Join Town of Morons! We now have our own bot!

Credit to PurpleSidewalk1
alex1234321
Role Ideas Moderator
Role Ideas Moderator

Postby Joacgroso » Tue May 04, 2021 1:59 pm

DiamondRanger8 wrote:Also how often is there ever a kingmaking situation with Jester, since it needs to be lynched to win, so why remove Jester from the neutrals?

Kingmaking scenarios with jesters aren't that rare. It can happen in a 1 vs 1 vs 1 with 2 evil roles, when the jester decides who wins by haunting the other player. If someone refuses to vote the jester up, the jester lynches them.
Joacgroso wrote:I feel like I went from Light Yagami to Keiichi Maebara.

I still hope one day the game will have private lobbies. They would really help.
Also, please nerf vampire hunters.
Joacgroso
Werewolf
Werewolf

Postby DiamondRanger8 » Tue May 04, 2021 6:43 pm

Joacgroso wrote:
DiamondRanger8 wrote:Also how often is there ever a kingmaking situation with Jester, since it needs to be lynched to win, so why remove Jester from the neutrals?

Kingmaking scenarios with jesters aren't that rare. It can happen in a 1 vs 1 vs 1 with 2 evil roles, when the jester decides who wins by haunting the other player. If someone refuses to vote the jester up, the jester lynches them.

If the jester lynches anyone, they're throwing, so it's not really a situation that the jester should be putting themselves in
DiamondRanger8
Investigator
Investigator

Postby Joacgroso » Tue May 04, 2021 7:03 pm

The jester should only vote if someone isn't voting against them. In that case the jester already lost, so it doesn't matter what they do.

I still hope one day the game will have private lobbies. They would really help.
Joacgroso
Werewolf
Werewolf

Postby DiamondRanger8 » Wed May 05, 2021 11:57 am

FlowMafia wrote:Amazing, let's make a new game and not update TOS ranked for another 2 years, let's let the leaderboard get to 10k elo because definitely that's something that makes a lot of sense

Yep. Ngl, I would have MUCH preferred a revamp to the original Town of Salem formula than an Among Us clone. Imagine what they could have done with a sequel. They could have started advertising like crazy like they did with the first one, revived the fanbase of the first game that left after the botting situation, added new mechanics, added and removed roles, and have an entire balance rework.
DiamondRanger8
Investigator
Investigator

Postby Joacgroso » Wed May 05, 2021 12:10 pm

Personally I don't think sequels are necessary nowadays, save for visual novels and other linear videogames. It kinda feels like a cash grab when most games are digital and can be updated.

Joacgroso
Werewolf
Werewolf

Postby DiamondRanger8 » Wed May 05, 2021 12:16 pm

Joacgroso wrote:Personally I don't think sequels are necessary nowadays, save for visual novels and other linear videogames. It kinda feels like a cash grab when most games are digital and can be updated.

The thing is that if BMG wanted to add things like using 3 abilities in one night, or using 2 different abilities in the same night, or something like that, then it would require a restructure of the games code and things like that, so it would be better to get a sequel than to update the original games when it comes to adding game changing mechanics.
DiamondRanger8
Investigator
Investigator

Postby Descender » Wed May 05, 2021 12:17 pm

DiamondRanger8 wrote:
Joacgroso wrote:Personally I don't think sequels are necessary nowadays, save for visual novels and other linear videogames. It kinda feels like a cash grab when most games are digital and can be updated.

The thing is that if BMG wanted to add things like using 3 abilities in one night, or using 2 different abilities in the same night, or something like that, then it would require a restructure of the games code and things like that, so it would be better to get a sequel than to update the original games when it comes to adding game changing mechanics.

they shouldnt of made the game spaghetti code which they cant change features easily then in a game they planned to continue updating
Possibly known as TodaysStory
TG Frequenter and Host
she/her
Descender
Role Ideas Moderator
Role Ideas Moderator

Postby dbpeanut » Wed May 05, 2021 2:15 pm

Descender wrote:
DiamondRanger8 wrote:

they shouldnt of made the game spaghetti code which they cant change features easily then in a game they planned to continue updating

Even if that wasn't an issue, generally communicating with your community even if updates take a while prevents misunderstanding and distrust.

You know how there's always that one guy who never says a word and then suddenly a pestilence appears?
BMG is that guy.
dbpeanut
Transporter
Transporter

Postby itsmedash2 » Thu May 06, 2021 11:36 am

DiamondRanger8 wrote:

That is definitely not how programming works unless you're really bad at it
itsmedash2
Witch
Witch

Postby itsmedash2 » Thu May 06, 2021 11:45 am

And even if that *is* how it worked do you realistically think making a whole new game, presumably nearly the same as the previous and would cost money for servers, is easier than reorganizing the very shitty code you get from the scenario you described
itsmedash2
Witch
Witch

Postby Descender » Thu May 06, 2021 1:19 pm

itsmedash2 wrote:
DiamondRanger8 wrote:

That is definitely not how programming works unless you're really bad at it

welcome to blankmediagames
Possibly known as TodaysStory
TG Frequenter and Host
she/her
Descender
Role Ideas Moderator
Role Ideas Moderator

Postby DiamondRanger8 » Tue May 11, 2021 3:41 pm

Honestly though, you would really care in here that your have to pay like $5, maybe $10, or a sequel to an amazing game, as long as it's better? People pay $60 for every new COD every year ffs. I have hope that BMG's new sequel would have been impossible to exist without it being a full fledged sequel. It's kind of obvious that it's gonna be completely unique to the original game with the idea of free roaming.
DiamondRanger8
Investigator
Investigator

Postby DiamondRanger8 » Tue May 11, 2021 3:47 pm

I also really hope that BMG listens to the fanbase and adds neutrals back into TiS. When it comes to Neutrals like Witch, Jester, and Plague bearer, they are muuuch more balanced as Neutrals than as faction roles. Just imagine the traitor side having both a PM, Witch, and Pestilence on in the same faction.
DiamondRanger8
Investigator
Investigator

Postby Joacgroso » Tue May 11, 2021 3:53 pm

We barely know anything about the game to talk about its balance.

Hopefully BMG knows what they are doing.

Joacgroso
Werewolf
Werewolf

Postby OreCreeper » Tue May 11, 2021 4:47 pm

Joacgroso wrote:We barely know anything about the game to talk about its balance.

Hopefully BMG knows what they are doing.

They do not.
OreCreeper
Vigilante
Vigilante

Postby itsmedash2 » Tue May 11, 2021 4:54 pm

reminder about when the option to enable 2fa for the forums was rejected
itsmedash2
Witch
Witch

Postby DiamondRanger8 » Thu May 13, 2021 2:57 pm

I have hope in BMG. I just REALLY hope they listen to their fans, bcs I've mostly seen negative feedback, or indifferent feedback, when it comes to removing Neutrals, so I hope they take note of that.
DiamondRanger8
Investigator
Investigator

Postby itsmedash2 » Thu May 13, 2021 3:15 pm

DiamondRanger8 wrote:I just REALLY hope they listen to their fans

They never do
itsmedash2
Witch
Witch

Postby itsmedash2 » Thu May 13, 2021 3:19 pm

Or at least in this case if they do listen, it's most likely only gonna be til alpha stage is over with. This is BMG we're talking about
itsmedash2
Witch
Witch

Postby DiamondRanger8 » Fri May 14, 2021 12:29 am

BMG if your reading this, LISTEN TO YOUR FANS FOR THIS GAME. It will make it 20x better and make me buy more microtransactions.
DiamondRanger8
Investigator
Investigator

PreviousNext

Return to Town of Salem Discussion