IGN reports need to be raised to judges, not player jurors

Suggestions you have for the Trial System go here.

IGN reports need to be raised to judges, not player jurors

Postby coffeelovinggamer » Thu Jul 28, 2022 6:22 am

So I was talking about the trial system in the TOS reddit and I realized it's been a while since I volunteered on there. I felt bad because I used to make a point of doing it a couple of times a week to try and help out. So I went over there and like, a whole bunch of the reports are for IGN. Ok.. that's fine. I don't mind going through those. They're frustrating because when someone has a very obviously racist name, it's a clear cut guilty and then you get penalized for that by being given a time out for judging too quickly, but I get why they do that so it's fine, I'll deal.

My issue came when I got the report I was wondering if I'd get. It's about a player that likes to use "Auschwitz Guard" as a name. Out of curiosity, I clicked his previous reports and there are DOZENS of them. He uses everything ranging from "Heinrich Himmler", "Nick Kerr", "im homophobic", "Auschwitz Guard" to name a few. The number of reports wasn't what was shocking to me (having met this guy) - it was that they were ALL either closed without judgement or found innocent.

THIS is why players are saying the trial system is broken. This guy does this because he knows he can get away with it.. because he can. He IS getting away with it. He also had a bunch of harassment and game throwing reports (like claiming Jailor D1 as vet and then alerting), CHRNOCALLY leaving D1 when mafia (many many many reports of this) all of which were found innocent or closed.

If player jurors are not cutting it (and clearly they aren't if all these blatantly racist/homophobic/antisemitic reports are getting innoed) then mod judges should be dealing with them.

This was one of the comments on one of the reports that was found inno (under the name of Auchwitz guard):

for thre love of god why have you not BANNED THIS USER YET! this is the most horrible in game name i have ever seen.
Antisemitic name

The earliest IGN report he has is for April. We're almost in August and this is still happening. No wonder players think they can do what they want. This isn't working.
coffeelovinggamer
Survivor
Survivor

Re: IGN reports need to be raised to judges, not player juro

Postby Flavorable » Thu Jul 28, 2022 11:51 am

This person isn't "getting away" with anything. None of those names break any rules.

Auschwitz Guard - History, Auschwitz had guards, if they're not spewing hatespeech there's no reason whatsoever to guilty this. (And if they do, it's guilty for HSH, not IGN)
Heinrich Himmler - See above.
Nick Kerr - Famous person.
im homophobic - Calling oneself homophobic is not automatically hate speech against LGBTQ-community. Actually saying something homophobic, or having a name that is homophobic is against the rules, not simply implying you're a homophobe.
No reply to your support ticket after 15 business days? PM me with your ticket number.

You may PM me for clarifications on appeal verdicts, but keep in mind the verdict will not change.

Do you have 151+ games played and want to help rid the community of toxic players and gamethrowers? Join the Trial System today: https://www.blankmediagames.com/Trial/#start

Also, check out the Trial System Discord Server: https://discord.gg/K5SnyJS
Flavorable
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby coffeelovinggamer » Fri Jul 29, 2022 7:04 pm

I'm sorry that's the most ridiculous things I've read on the forums and coming from a mod, that's worrying.

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1FGm ... dGif0/edit

This guide is a really good resource and I have to say, put together really well.

I'll start with Nick Kerr. I agree that in and of itself, the use is not racist. But even the famous person that's named this was EXTREMELY controversial because it IS a racist name. It's not accidental. It's meant to sound the way it does. In and of itself, that means nothing. The person using it could just really like that name. But we have the ability to see other reports for a reason, and when you use context clues to see what this guy is calling himself, no way was this NOT deliberate trolling.

Auschwitz guard: Yes - a historic figure: an infamous nazi historic figure - not allowed. Hell even the name of death camps alone is not supposed to be allowed. It's supposed to be duplicated under hate speech. The ONLY time you would call someone an Auschwitz guard would be in a derogatory way, unless you were a white supremacist.

Heinrich Himmler: see above. Again. Infamous Nazi historical figure - not allowed. Duplicated under hate speech.

im homophobic: Oh come on. On its own this would be dubious. After all, any name that shows intolerance is supposed to be a no go. Announcing yourself AS intolerant to anyone there who is gay, is the literal definition of that. On it's own, not great. But again - in the context of the many many reports this guy has... can no one read red flags anymore?

You can absolutely see why players are losing faith in the trial system if none of this is raising red flags, even here.
coffeelovinggamer
Survivor
Survivor

Postby coffeelovinggamer » Sat Jul 30, 2022 1:24 pm

Just looked at my reports from yesterday. I got one of the reports I judged "wrong". Because I voted guilty on someone for hate speech/harassment. The community judged it inno. This guy first called someone a re***d, and then followed up a couple of days later with this gem in whispers:

https://gyazo.com/b6ce3a08413aaf21ced380847935554c

But apparently, that guy was innocent of any kind of harassment. There are SO many examples of this happening.
coffeelovinggamer
Survivor
Survivor

Return to Trial System Suggestions