On the topic of the transporter role (Ranked Practice)

Put any feedback about the game here.

On the topic of the transporter role (Ranked Practice)

Postby Eigenvectors » Sat Feb 26, 2022 11:25 pm

The transporter role (trans) is the singular most functionally broken role in the entire game. I will discuss the reasons behind and the potential fix of the ill behaved role.

First and foremost, we will explore the role of trans and what it brings to the game. Trans may swap the location of two targets every night, if one is visited by mafia, the spy will will display the swapped target.

On the one hand, for town, this is incredibly disastrous for town to correct their will, especially for spies. Town will need to spend an excessive amount of time to correct their will and others' will - provided the transporter reveals (which may be tactically horrible to reveal). If transporter does not reveal, then wills will likely render a town member suspicious, or rather a mafia innocent.

On the flip side, for the mafia and NE, it is entirely possible for the transporter to make them kill themselves. This is not the problem. However, the problem is that a game can have so much undecided variations in early game (ie N1-N3) with this. It is strictly un-tactical to swap two people on N1, though in one game maf kills maf, and in another game, it completely destroys town wills. The uncontrollability of what this role brings is the problem.

In addition for the mafia, when it comes to middle and end game, transporter completely voids strategic decision making. Without trans, mafia may target key player and strategically eliminate players. Trans voids that completely and mafia would need to randomly hit players in order to strike their desired target. It is completely broken and renders the mafia brainless in this setting.

The problem is heavily exacerbated when there are more transporters, imagine 4 transporters and the entire discussion during day would be to correct wills (provided all reveal). Mafias would almost never strategically hit their target, town would have no room for constructive discussion.

The argument is, this role should not exist in the first place, it is not beneficial for town, nor the mafia, neither can it be a NE - though it is a town role.

My suggestion for the fix would be along the lines of giving trans a cap of how many swaps they can preform, hopefully only 2 (MAX) as well as setting trans as a unique role. Or completely removing this game destroying role.
Eigenvectors

Re: On the topic of the transporter role (Ranked Practice)

Postby syjfwbaobfwl » Thu Mar 03, 2022 5:01 am

Or maybe not, giving it 2 uses would make it totally useless, making it unique is even worse as it makes it EVEN HARDER to claim

You know that in end game, if there is a tp alive then mafia cant attack key players either, and anyway in an ideal situation the transporter already identified a mafia member, so mafia shouldntbbe attacking random, theh just should attack whoever they think its not transed

That being said, the role actually fits NE very well so idk wdym
syjfwbaobfwl
Jailor
Jailor

Postby Ichbinderubermensch » Sat Mar 05, 2022 2:58 pm

Trans is busted for a lot of reason: TP potential, TK potential, being easy to confirm (if there's a Spy and Town follows Jailor Meta it's a 100% guarantee confirmed) and RB/Control immunity (because why not? Let's make this role ability have no form to be stopped, so that Evildoers are forced to play around Trans no matter what).
Yes, there's always the risk that Trans messes with the target of other Townies, but it's nothing in comparison to the gamebreaking chance to make the MK target another evildoer (which puts Mafia behind and in most games where every kill counts it means GG). Right now Trans is a high reward for little risk role, especifically because Trans can play ultra safe and keep swaping themselves with scum (players that have no claim/a weak claim and don't talk) and get harder and harder to kill as the game progresses (less players means scum become more and more obvious and that in turn gives Trans good targets to use as meatshield).
I'd say Trans ability swap themselves should be a one-time use like with BG and Doc (and Vet to a lesser extend), forcing them to think when to spend their get-out-of-jail-for-free rather than have the current ME TRANS WITH SCUM, SCUM NO REACH ME """""""""""""""""""mindgames""""""""""""""""""".
Ichbinderubermensch

Postby syjfwbaobfwl » Sun Mar 06, 2022 7:45 am

I dont see why is it TK

But anyway, the rb and control immunity is there to prevent wierd outcomes (like transing yourself into a roleblock)
syjfwbaobfwl
Jailor
Jailor

Postby Soulshade55r » Tue Mar 08, 2022 10:10 am

Ok i agree transporter is actually insanely overpowered a lot of players use the excuse for its power level that its easy to mess up...? but things like vigilante are the same in that required both roles are risk/rewark the only issue is transporter generally is better, given the fact they can switch mafias kill to kill another mafia which in a sense is a rb + mafia killed. With no restrictions.

Its not like if you suddenly transport town with town you automatically die, but i think the worst is the fact transporter can infinite protect themselves so they're not easy to kill and no it shouldn't be one time use, it just shouldn't be a thing. One time use is already too powerful considering Transporters power level.

I think we can actually change current trans like this:
-Remove Self transportations entirely, Transporter once outed should be a easy kill, let the actual tps use their brains and think "hmm maybe i should protect the transporter tonight as the jailor isn't going to be attacked moments, that actually make Tp fun instead of jailor babysitter"
-Remove transport notifications or buff hypno (rework spy) so that they can make the transporter claim invalid.
-Limit transports to 3 times per game (I don't know about this one might make the transporter too weak)

I think certain roles such as:
Jailor & Spy are currently way too good right now aswell personally, Spy just functions as a screw the mafia for visiting role, which makes mafia horrible to play because spy decided they existed so you can't visit.
Jailor is overpowered, I get its meant to be the town leader but good god the games depend on the jailor, way too much.

If it was up to me to remove one role from the game it would 100% be spy but i guess transporter is a close second right now
Favourite Roles (To play)
Spoiler: Town: Jailor
Mafia: Consort
NE: Witch
NB: Guardian Angel
Coven: Necromancer
NC: Pirate
Soulshade55r
Blackmailer
Blackmailer

Return to Feedback