I'm tired of the R-slur (r*tard)

Put any feedback about the game here.

I'm tired of the R-slur (r*tard)

Postby cinapta » Mon Nov 16, 2020 1:45 pm

The R-word is offensive.
Many Town of Salem players frequently use the r-slur in their vocabulary and frankly, I'm sick of it. The r-word is offensive to people on the autism spectrum. I feel like it should be automatically filtered out. It is a bad word, and Town of Salem should not continue to tolerate people saying this word. I will attach some sources on why this word should not be used. Feel free to read these.

https://www.specialolympics.org/stories ... the-r-slur
https://www.bu.edu/wheelock/the-use-of- ... a-problem/

Still not convinced? Here's some more context.
-The R-word previously has been be used in derogatory and offensive contexts in the 1960s in the USA.
-The derivatives r*tard and r*tarded have never been used in medical or legal literature, and exclusively have a history as offensive slang.
-Mental r*tardation is no longer used in the medical field to describe people with intellectual and developmental disabilities.

Town of Salem can already be a very toxic game, and the use of the r-word already adds to the problem. Users of the r-word need to pick a different word.
cinapta, pro tos player
cinapta
Bodyguard
Bodyguard

Re: I'm tired of the R-slur (r*tard)

Postby Ezradekezra » Mon Nov 16, 2020 1:49 pm

Isn't it already soft-filtered?
Ezradekezra
Halloween 2020 Winner
Halloween 2020 Winner

Postby cinapta » Mon Nov 16, 2020 1:53 pm

Ezradekezra wrote:Isn't it already soft-filtered?

As a curse word? Maybe.
However, you're missing my point. I'm saying it's a slur.
Just like how the n-word is a slur.
cinapta, pro tos player
cinapta
Bodyguard
Bodyguard

Postby Stiersquid » Mon Nov 16, 2020 3:39 pm

Grow up you can handle retards. If not turn the soft filter on that's what its for.
Gladiators! Are you ready for the opportunity of a lifetime? Fight in a battle that will go down in history. Eight challengers enter and one leaves with a prize no man could imagine. Are you ready to rumble?!
https://discord.gg/UNf4QJuA
Stiersquid
Retributionist
Retributionist

Postby cinapta » Mon Nov 16, 2020 4:56 pm

Stiersquid wrote:Grow up you can handle retards. If not turn the soft filter on that's what its for.

You're part of the problem. I feel like people say it instead of stupid/fool/moron/dumb etc. Mentally disabled people can't "grow up" from being offended by an offensive term. Just like the same way they can't "grow out" of their disability. I'm 18 years old and I'm on the spectrum. Maybe instead of telling people to "grow up", you should grow up yourself. Read the articles I posted. Educate yourself. Learn why you shouldn't say that word.
cinapta, pro tos player
cinapta
Bodyguard
Bodyguard

Postby Brilliand » Mon Nov 16, 2020 6:48 pm

cinapta wrote:
Stiersquid wrote:Grow up you can handle retards. If not turn the soft filter on that's what its for.

You're part of the problem. I feel like people say it instead of stupid/fool/moron/dumb etc. Mentally disabled people can't "grow up" from being offended by an offensive term. Just like the same way they can't "grow out" of their disability. I'm 18 years old and I'm on the spectrum. Maybe instead of telling people to "grow up", you should grow up yourself. Read the articles I posted. Educate yourself. Learn why you shouldn't say that word.

As someone who was formally diagnosed with "Asperger's Syndrome" back when that diagnosis was still a thing, I find the word "Autistic" a lot more offensive than the word "Retard". When someone calls me "Retarded", It's patently not true, because I (like most aspies) have considerable mathematical-type intelligence to compensate for my lack of social intelligence. When someone calls me "Autistic", they're saying something that isn't strictly false, but still managing to lump me together with a group of comically stupid people.

So if you're asking for the word "Retard" to be banned as a slur, with the word "Autist" becoming the formally acceptable term for the group - then fuck you. I'd much rather have the term "retard" thrown around than the term "autist", because the former literally means stupid while the latter implies that a group of people that contains me is stupid in general.
Brilliand
Godfather
Godfather

Postby cinapta » Mon Nov 16, 2020 7:27 pm

Stiersquid wrote:As someone who was formally diagnosed with "Asperger's Syndrome" back when that diagnosis was still a thing, I find the word "Autistic" a lot more offensive than the word "Retard". When someone calls me "Retarded", It's patently not true, because I (like most aspies) have considerable mathematical-type intelligence to compensate for my lack of social intelligence. When someone calls me "Autistic", they're saying something that isn't strictly false, but still managing to lump me together with a group of comically stupid people.

So if you're asking for the word "Retard" to be banned as a slur, with the word "Autist" becoming the formally acceptable term for the group - then fuck you. I'd much rather have the term "retard" thrown around than the term "autist", because the former literally means stupid while the latter implies that a group of people that contains me is stupid in general.

I don't like the term "autist" either. That's why the chat filter in ineffective- it doesn't choose the right word to filter the r-word, and you can still tell what they're saying.
cinapta, pro tos player
cinapta
Bodyguard
Bodyguard

Postby Soulshade55r » Mon Nov 16, 2020 8:12 pm

Personally as someone who's been called that all my life don't really care. But I dunno Tos could hard filter it idk there's already a auto filter for it

Tos already has less rules and is more prone to "toxicity" to a lot of games ig
Favourite Roles (To play)
Spoiler: Town: Jailor
Mafia: Consort
NE: Witch
NB: Guardian Angel
Coven: Necromancer
NC: Pirate
Soulshade55r
Blackmailer
Blackmailer

Postby RiceHatMan » Mon Nov 16, 2020 8:30 pm

cinapta wrote:
Stiersquid wrote:As someone who was formally diagnosed with "Asperger's Syndrome" back when that diagnosis was still a thing, I find the word "Autistic" a lot more offensive than the word "Retard". When someone calls me "Retarded", It's patently not true, because I (like most aspies) have considerable mathematical-type intelligence to compensate for my lack of social intelligence. When someone calls me "Autistic", they're saying something that isn't strictly false, but still managing to lump me together with a group of comically stupid people.

I don't like the term "autist" either. That's why the chat filter in ineffective- it doesn't choose the right word to filter the r-word, and you can still tell what they're saying.

Retarded and autistic refer to an actual group of people. That means, in this case, it is how the word is used, not the word itself. Calling someone retarded isn't referring to a group of people in a derogatory or insulting way, it is used as a stereotype, or in this case, mostly a misconception. Many people have learned the word with the misconception that using the word "retarded" is calling someone stupid. To combat this, you shouldn't call it a slur, that would be insulting to the group of people themselves. Just because some people use gay as a negative adjective, doesn't mean you call it a slur and deem it as offensive. That isn't the way to combat the problem, it just worsens the stereotype, since now it IS seen as a derogatory word, meaning real retarded people will be seen as stupid and all the incapabilities the stereotype is used for.
RiceHatMan
Investigator
Investigator

Postby Brilliand » Mon Nov 16, 2020 8:58 pm

cinapta wrote:I don't like the term "autist" either. That's why the chat filter in ineffective- it doesn't choose the right word to filter the r-word, and you can still tell what they're saying.

Oh, okay. Personally, I leave the chat filter on, and don't usually try to guess what was actually typed [the "fuck"=>"tarnation" conversion being the exception] - reading the words "savant" and "zounderkite" as insults unique to ToS suits me fine, and usually makes sense in context. (Though it is in some ways disheartening that I have started to think of "savant" as an insult.)

Are you objecting to the "retarded->savant" soft-filtering, or the "retard->zounderkite" soft-filtering (or both)? Would it solve your problem if those words were lumped together with, say, "idiot" under the single filter output "zounderkite"?
Brilliand
Godfather
Godfather

Postby cob709 » Mon Nov 16, 2020 9:10 pm

i think it would be funny if we soft filtered this into "Dummkopf" to be less offensive
I SEE ALL
cob709
Mayor
Mayor

Postby Soulshade55r » Mon Nov 16, 2020 9:12 pm

I find chat filter ironically more funny
Favourite Roles (To play)
Spoiler: Town: Jailor
Mafia: Consort
NE: Witch
NB: Guardian Angel
Coven: Necromancer
NC: Pirate
Soulshade55r
Blackmailer
Blackmailer

Postby lemonader666 » Mon Nov 16, 2020 10:56 pm

If you actually think that retard is purely or mainly used as a slur instead of just a pejorative term then you are horribly mistaken and out of touch with modern-day "culture". Nowadays, retard is in the same place as gay, while their definitions correlate directly to their respective conditions, their actual usage differs drastically from their original meaning. Most of the time, it would just be used as an insult that would merely be as degrading as moron, asshat, buffoon, bozo, shitter, etc, and not a personal insult on your mental condition.

-Autist
I would tell you to man up and accept that regardless if retard manages to die out, another word will replace it, so you might as well just embrace it like how some in the black community did with their word, but you're probably too sensitive since you thought to make this post in the first place.
God, I hate this weak and sensitive society that social media has created.

you can email me at lemonader666@gmail.com if need be
lemonader666
[Forum Mafia XVI] Winner
[Forum Mafia XVI] Winner

Postby Robbytherobot » Tue Nov 17, 2020 5:30 am

Perhaps I would be apt to agree, but people dont really use Retard for actual mental issues now as its meaning had become pejorative like lemonade said, a soft filter is fine but if this word goes under the hard ban then words like moron would have to aswell.
Robbytherobot
Medium
Medium

Postby cinapta » Tue Nov 17, 2020 8:16 am

Robbytherobot wrote:but if this word goes under the hard ban then words like moron would have to aswell.

I'm going to have to disagree. Here's the definition of "moron" vs. the definition of "retard"
Moron noun, informal
a stupid person.
"we can't let these thoughtless morons get away with mindless vandalism every weekend"

Retard noun, offensive
a person who has a mental disability (often used as a general term of abuse).

source: Oxford Languages
cinapta, pro tos player
cinapta
Bodyguard
Bodyguard

Postby ryanyb » Tue Nov 17, 2020 2:27 pm

I’m just going to go get some popcorn while I watch this burn down in flames.

To clarify: I agree with OP’s take. My brother was likely on the spectrum.
ryanyb
FM Game Moderator
FM Game Moderator

Postby Royee » Tue Nov 17, 2020 3:35 pm

doesn't it vary from a person to a person?
Recent Town game - 21A
Recent Mafia game - VFM73
Recent Neutral game - 17B
Royee
Easter 2020 Winner
Easter 2020 Winner

Postby Robbytherobot » Tue Nov 17, 2020 3:46 pm

I think I have changed my mind, it should be banned, though in the future the word might end up like Moron, a medical diagnosis that became a common term, its not really that yet.
Robbytherobot
Medium
Medium

Postby Royee » Tue Nov 17, 2020 4:35 pm

Shouldn't be offensive behaviour banned anyway?
Recent Town game - 21A
Recent Mafia game - VFM73
Recent Neutral game - 17B
Royee
Easter 2020 Winner
Easter 2020 Winner

Postby Flavorable » Tue Nov 17, 2020 4:51 pm

Locking, since filter discussions go to the Devs directly.

Though keep in mind that comparing the word retard to a racist slur is a bit extreme.

Regardless, feel free to e-mail the Devs about this.
No reply to your support ticket after 15 business days? PM me with your ticket number.

You may PM me for clarifications on appeal verdicts, but keep in mind the verdict will not change.

Do you have 151+ games played and want to help rid the community of toxic players and gamethrowers? Join the Trial System today: https://www.blankmediagames.com/Trial/#start

Also, check out the Trial System Discord Server: https://discord.gg/K5SnyJS
Flavorable
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Return to Feedback