Forum Profile are Temporarily Disabled

Forum announcements and contests will be posted here.

Forum Profile are Temporarily Disabled

Postby TurdPile » Wed Nov 14, 2018 9:05 pm

Administrator Message: Profiles have been slightly modified so you may view again.

With the move to pay to play comes other factors that now come into play, such as the perceived worth of accounts.

Developers have informed me that forum profiles have been temporarily disabled due to recent attempts at using these profiles to gather a list of usernames (this is what recently brought the website down earlier this evening). They will be enabled later when a safer way to view profiles is implemented.

-TP
I have mostly rescinded my role as Admin.

All previous contact should instead be redirected to Flavorable.

If your inquiry doesn't directly have to do with Trial 2.0 or TrialBot, then please refrain from messaging.

Thank you.
TurdPile
Vampire
Vampire

Re: Forum Profile are Temporarily Disabled

Postby TurdPile » Thu Nov 15, 2018 2:27 pm

Slowly converting things over to use Usernames instead of IDs. Will take some time, but it is what it is. If you notice things break, feel free to drop me a PM so I can fix it. Technically, you should not lose general access to anything except things that provide access to a general member list (ie member list and member searches, etc).

If your inquiry doesn't directly have to do with Trial 2.0 or TrialBot, then please refrain from messaging.

Thank you.
TurdPile
Vampire
Vampire

Re: Forum Profile are Temporarily Disabled

Postby TurdPile » Thu Nov 15, 2018 3:39 pm

It isn't really clear what is actually being done, and why. Pretty much the synopsis is that the forum is mainly ID based (you go to a profile, it would be listed in the URL as an ID, like my user ID was 83). This number can be used to make a simple iteration and count up and just grab a bunch of usernames. Due to recent events, we are attempting to limit the ways bots can crawl this forum and pull a bunch of usernames.

What has been done so far is:
- Change profile links to use Username, rather than ID.
- Disable some memberlist functions entirely.
- Disable post searches if they use an ID (username searches will still work; "author=XX" in the URL versus "author_id=123")

There are numerous places on the forum where a user ID will be used instead of a username; so if you spot one, please PM me and I will add it to the list. (I know about Private Messages using ID; I'll get around to that soon PMs fixed).

Thank you.
TurdPile
Vampire
Vampire

Return to Forum Announcements