Postby Madonna » Wed Sep 02, 2015 5:50 pm

why are there no black or disabled or transgender character skins
Madonna
Sheriff
Sheriff

Re: diversify the character skins

Postby deferentsheep » Wed Sep 02, 2015 5:51 pm

/Support.

It`s really needed, especially in 2015 of all places. Town Of Salem just needs to grow up, to be quiet honest.
bound to the sky for eternity, the unbudging god is all-knowing, all-seeing
deferentsheep
Disguiser
Disguiser

Postby CarmenK74 » Wed Sep 02, 2015 5:57 pm

This needs to happen. We have literally no non-white skins, and only a handful of female ones.
Image Image Image
CarmenK74
Vigilante
Vigilante

Postby Ansem555 » Wed Sep 02, 2015 6:00 pm

While it is a long time coming, Devs have said in the past that black skins will be coming. Right now they are just super busy, probably with the next patch.

I don't make any of my own sigs. Bravo to the artists.
Blue text means I'm being sarcastic.
Ansem555
Benefactor
Benefactor

Postby ICECLIMBERS » Wed Sep 02, 2015 6:01 pm

I don't see a reason to do this. Is prefer for BMG to make skins in popular demand, such as those based around roles. There's no point making a skin if few people would buy it; it'd just be a wasted effort. And with the amount of racism in the game having a black character skin probably wouldn't end well.
Spoiler: Image

in the distance the shelves
rode three shadows of blue
ICECLIMBERS
[Forum Mafia VII] Winner
[Forum Mafia VII] Winner

Postby Madonna » Wed Sep 02, 2015 6:02 pm

i could see if they were trying to avoid being anachronistic, but yeah
Madonna
Sheriff
Sheriff

Postby CarmenK74 » Wed Sep 02, 2015 6:02 pm

ICECLIMBERS wrote:And with the amount of racism in the game having a black character skin probably wouldn't end well.

I don't mean to throw buzzwords around, but this logic is pretty much victim blaming. If someone is targeting specifically black character skins, that's a problem with the targeter.
Image Image Image
CarmenK74
Vigilante
Vigilante

Postby Madonna » Wed Sep 02, 2015 6:03 pm

ICECLIMBERS wrote:I don't see a reason to do this. Is prefer for BMG to make skins in popular demand, such as those based around roles. There's no point making a skin if few people would buy it; it'd just be a wasted effort. And with the amount of racism in the game having a black character skin probably wouldn't end well.

this is ridiculous. there are plenty of black people in the game or even people who would like their character to be black. the report system works fine and is going to get even better. so basically ur saying that black people need to be invisible in order to protect them.
Madonna
Sheriff
Sheriff

Postby ICECLIMBERS » Wed Sep 02, 2015 6:06 pm

Madonna wrote:
ICECLIMBERS wrote:I don't see a reason to do this. Is prefer for BMG to make skins in popular demand, such as those based around roles. There's no point making a skin if few people would buy it; it'd just be a wasted effort. And with the amount of racism in the game having a black character skin probably wouldn't end well.

this is ridiculous. there are plenty of black people in the game or even people who would like their character to be black. the report system works fine and is going to get even better. so basically ur saying that black people need to be invisible in order to protect them.

No. It could potentially lead to people being immature, but the report system would work that out. I just use the default skin so new skins don't matter to me much, but I think that the devs should focus on the promised kick starter goals and popular demand.
Spoiler: Image

in the distance the shelves
rode three shadows of blue
ICECLIMBERS
[Forum Mafia VII] Winner
[Forum Mafia VII] Winner

Postby CarmenK74 » Wed Sep 02, 2015 6:06 pm

Madonna wrote:why are there no black or disabled or transgender character skins

I do wonder, though, how you would incorporate transgender and disabled character skins....I agree with more ethnic ones, but not really this.
Image Image Image
CarmenK74
Vigilante
Vigilante

Postby Nellyfox » Wed Sep 02, 2015 6:10 pm

Blake is working on the trial system right now. :o

I prefer skins that actually make sense in the ToS setting, but eh. If you target someone for their skin you're gonna get banned.
Nellyfox
[Forum Mafia V] Winner
[Forum Mafia V] Winner

Postby Madonna » Wed Sep 02, 2015 6:14 pm

having a character skin that is wheelchair-bound would really help disabled people feel comfortable with their bodies.
a fat character would also be really helpful.
and i'm not necessarily complaining about the 'sexy' female skins, but it does appear that the female form is being exploited more so than the male form.

you can't necessarily tell when a person is trans or not (not going into cis-passability and cis privilege.), but you could certainly incorporate androgynous characters whose gender you can't immediately tell. we have to let go of the binary
Madonna
Sheriff
Sheriff

Postby Jfire » Wed Sep 02, 2015 6:14 pm

How does a transgender skin work?

Just pick the gender you feel that you are

and I also think you should just be able to have a skin tone slider for each character you have.

Current IGN: Plush

EpicMafia Loser
Jfire
Jailor
Jailor

Postby Nellyfox » Wed Sep 02, 2015 6:15 pm

Jfire wrote:and I also think you should just be able to have a skin tone slider for each character you have.

This would be interesting, actually.
Nellyfox
[Forum Mafia V] Winner
[Forum Mafia V] Winner

Postby Madonna » Wed Sep 02, 2015 6:16 pm

Nellyfox wrote:
Jfire wrote:and I also think you should just be able to have a skin tone slider for each character you have.

/support
Madonna
Sheriff
Sheriff

Postby deferentsheep » Wed Sep 02, 2015 6:17 pm

SecondClass wrote:
Madonna wrote:why are there no black or disabled or transgender character skins

I do wonder, though, how you would incorporate transgender and disabled character skins....I agree with more ethnic ones, but not really this.

Example, it`s easy. Just, add a wheelchair. You don`t need to be as intolerant.
bound to the sky for eternity, the unbudging god is all-knowing, all-seeing
deferentsheep
Disguiser
Disguiser

Postby CarmenK74 » Wed Sep 02, 2015 6:17 pm

Madonna wrote:having a character skin that is wheelchair-bound would really help disabled people feel comfortable with their bodies.
and i'm not necessarily complaining about the 'sexy' female skins, but it does appear that the female form is being exploited more so than the male form.

you can't necessarily tell when a person is trans or not (not going into cis-passability and cis privilege.), but you could certainly incorporate androgynous characters whose gender you can't immediately tell. we have to let go of the binary

Um, there's only one "exploitative" skin, and it's intentionally so. Betty Parris/Abigail Hobbs/Ms. Direction skins are all very modest. And besides, being sexually outgoing is hardly a negative trait.

As for wheelchair-bound and androgynous skins...meh. There are more important things to work on.

And why would we have a specifically obese character skin? Unnecessary. And we don't want to glorify an unhealthy body type, anyway.
Image Image Image
CarmenK74
Vigilante
Vigilante

Postby Gobln » Wed Sep 02, 2015 6:17 pm

lmfao i want a wheel-chair guy.
Gobln
Vampire Hunter
Vampire Hunter

Postby JorJorBinks » Wed Sep 02, 2015 6:19 pm

Nellyfox wrote:Blake is working on the trial system right now. :o

I prefer skins that actually make sense in the ToS setting, but eh. If you target someone for their skin you're gonna get banned.

This.

Ethnic skins I fully support. (Also, Madonna's mention of having bigger characters could be cool I guess? I don't know?)

It'd bring more issues, but, as Nelly said,
you're gonna get banned.

So a heads up to those who have the audacity to target people with specific skins.

@Jfire
Awesome! I love this. I wonder how they would incorporate it though? I do think it'd be much more efficient though rather than making dozens more skins of different ethnic groups. (I'm not saying we shouldn't have exclusive skin colors, but I do think it'd be more ideal to follow Jfire's suggestion)

Spoiler:
Though the flesh may rot, the bones will remain. They are the proof that you were alive.
JorJorBinks
Blackmailer
Blackmailer

Postby Madonna » Wed Sep 02, 2015 6:19 pm

SecondClass wrote:
Madonna wrote:having a character skin that is wheelchair-bound would really help disabled people feel comfortable with their bodies.

Um, there's only one "exploitative" skin, and it's intentionally so. Betty Parris/Abigail Hobbs/Ms. Direction skins are all very modest. And besides, being sexually outgoing is hardly a negative trait.

As for wheelchair-bound and androgynous skins...meh. There are more important things to work on.

And why would we have a specifically obese character skin? Unnecessary. And we don't want to glorify an unhealthy body type, anyway.

hey, i know you mean well, but seriously. check your privileges.
Madonna
Sheriff
Sheriff

Postby NFaker » Wed Sep 02, 2015 6:20 pm

Eh, varying ethnicity could probably be added with face and extremity swaps of the current skins.
Disabilities would be limited to physical disabilities, missing limbs and what not.

Transgender... <.< ... make the gender pronoun selectable. Or what? Overly stereotypical skin?
NFaker
Vigilante
Vigilante

Postby CarmenK74 » Wed Sep 02, 2015 6:21 pm

Madonna wrote:check your privileges.

:roll:

I can't take you seriously when you just regurgitate the rhetoric. There's no need for an obese character skin, simple as that.
Image Image Image
CarmenK74
Vigilante
Vigilante

Postby Jfire » Wed Sep 02, 2015 6:22 pm

My opinion on the matter:

No need for transgender skins, because you think you're solving the problem when you just tell transgenders that they're not "normal" gender.

Skin tones: A skin tone slider. Necessary, people of other races shouldn't have to buy themselves an identity

Disabled: a few would be nice, maybe 2-4.

Also, Madonna this isn't tumblr, we don't use whatever your things are.

Current IGN: Plush

EpicMafia Loser
Jfire
Jailor
Jailor

Postby Gobln » Wed Sep 02, 2015 6:23 pm

SecondClass that is very offensive tbh.
Gobln
Vampire Hunter
Vampire Hunter

Postby Someguyinabobz » Wed Sep 02, 2015 6:24 pm

Nellyfox wrote:

Totally choosing a blue skin :lol:
The Jailor is simply a role in which the majority tell the only one capable of killing what to do. If this person's ego gets in the way, then all is lost.

Anyone who power trips or says "Do X because I am Y Role" is a very obvious case of the Standford Guard Experiment.
Someguyinabobz
Investigator
Investigator

Next

Return to Implemented Suggestions