Appealing: BeansAndDip

Were you banned? Have it appealed here.

Appealing: BeansAndDip

Postby BeansAndDip » Wed Feb 10, 2021 9:50 am

Hello Town of Salem mods,
I am here to request an appeal for my account, BeansAndDip.
In the past months, I have gotten back into playing TOS daily, for the first time since elementary/middle school. In this process, I have managed to stir up some trouble by making some stupid choices in the game chats. In December, I used some vulgar language that I thought was funny, and resulted in numerous reports against me. My first ever offense was in 2017 or so. I believe this because, when I click on the report link, it says that it has been archived. Also, I had not came back to this game since 2017 or so.
My second offense was not my proudest moment. Somebody had gotten me wrongfully killed, and then they were rubbing it in, which made me (stupidly) very angry. I then proceeded to call them a slur, saying "2, your a little f4g". I deeply apologize for this. Since then, a slur has not touched my keyboard in hateful context.
In my third offense, I was annoying some townies by using laughing emojis. I said something, while trying to be funny, that came out very offensive and unfunny, which angered people to the point of reporting me.
I strongly believe that I deserved to have actions taken against me for my second and third offenses, as I said some very hateful things. However, I believe that I was wrongfully banned from my fourth offense. In the game in which I got banned, I was taking control of the town as a bodyguard. I found that 6 people had claimed town protective roles, and knew that it was incorrect. This prompted me to repeat (or spam) this message MANY times. As nobody told me to stop, I figured that I was not annoying anyone. In fact, my leadership prompted us to kill another evil. However, later in the game, I angered a player in whispers. This player had been clueless and constantly requested my role, so I told him, in a moment of anger, that he was a R*t*rd. He proceeded to tell me that he would get me banned for hate speech. With great confidence, I told him that I could not be banned for saying "R*t*rd" if it was only a one-time offense. After this, he realized that I was correct, as later on, I was reported for spam, instead of hate speech.
In conclusion, my main two arguments for being unbanned are: 1. My first offense was from years ago, and 2. My fourth offense was something that did not directly anger anyone, and in the long run, benefited our team.
Thank you very much TOS mods, I wish you the best.
Much love, BeansAndDip (ignore the incredibly stupid name, I made it in 5th grade)
BeansAndDip
Jester
Jester

Re: Appealing: BeansAndDip

Postby TrialBot » Wed Feb 10, 2021 12:55 pm

Want your guilty reports without submitting an appeal? Send me a PM!
Want all your reports filed against you? Put "All" in the body of the message.

TrialBot by iggyvolz.
TrialBot
BOT
BOT

Postby Jerme » Fri Feb 12, 2021 9:56 am

Greetings,

please keep in mind that only invalid, not archived reports may be appealed.
Evading the filter to use otherwise blocked slurs is agains the game's rules and thus not allowed, regardless of context.
The other harassment report was not closed because of the "annoying others with smileys", but what you said there. The report details could give you a hint there. This seems valid
In your latest spamming report you did spam and that is not allowed. One does not have to tell you to stop in order fot it to count as spam.
Disclaimer: I try to abide by the game's softfilter and use the appropriate replacements, when I am using the forums. Those will be set in brackets. Example: [tarnation]
Visit my role suggestions and give me feedback: http://www.blankmediagames.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php?f=27&t=28949

Visit the Testing Grounds
Occupation: A developers pain and joy (QA-fox), currently "hired" by Ralozey
Jerme
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby BeansAndDip » Fri Feb 12, 2021 12:31 pm

Hi Jerme,
Thank you for the thoughtful response.
I understand that my first appeal can not be appealed, and my second and third should not be appealed, as I obviously broke rules.
However, I still believe that my "spam" should more be looked at as repetition. The only times I have seen people been reported for spam is in non-game related context. For example, I have seen people been scolded and even reported for spamming their Youtube channel names. My offense of repetition, however, was 100% game related, and like stated earlier, ended up benefiting to a townie win.
If my offense is not irreversible, I completely understand, as I still technically broke a rule.
Thank you very much,
BeansAndDip
BeansAndDip
Jester
Jester

Postby Jerme » Fri Feb 12, 2021 1:17 pm

You still posted the same message multiple times ( a bit altered cause you copied your own message from the chat). Dong that at least 5 times in a phase (day or night) is considered spamming.
Disclaimer: I try to abide by the game's softfilter and use the appropriate replacements, when I am using the forums. Those will be set in brackets. Example: [tarnation]
Visit my role suggestions and give me feedback: http://www.blankmediagames.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php?f=27&t=28949

Jerme
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby BeansAndDip » Sat Feb 13, 2021 9:40 am

I believe that all of the additions to my offense is enough for it to be lifted. 1. The "spam" did not bother anyone (I know you said that it was irrelevant, but I figured I'd include it in my list). 2. The "spam" was used as a tactic to help me win. 3. I only "spammed" 7 messages. 4. You said so yourself that the message was altered each time, so I technically never repeated the same message.
Note: Very sorry if that came off as stern, I could not find any other way of wording it.
BeansAndDip
Jester
Jester

Postby Flavorable » Sat Feb 13, 2021 12:38 pm

Let me address this:

- Rulebreaking doesn't have to bother people to be rulebreaks. Not to mention not everyone would speak up if it was bothersome.

- Spamming as a tactic is still breaking the rules. Tactics are never a valid reason to break rules.

- Altering your messages slightly just means it's evasion of the spam filter, which would have told you to stop posting the same thing over and over. Spam filter evasion by slightly altering what you're saying is still spam.
No reply to your support ticket after 15 business days? PM me with your ticket number.

You may PM me for clarifications on appeal verdicts, but keep in mind the verdict will not change.

Do you have 151+ games played and want to help rid the community of toxic players and gamethrowers? Join the Trial System today: https://www.blankmediagames.com/Trial/#start

Also, check out the Trial System Discord Server: https://discord.gg/K5SnyJS
Flavorable
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby BeansAndDip » Sat Feb 13, 2021 1:23 pm

Flavorable, I completely understand what you are saying. However, I just want to make this clear: I was not at all altering my messages to bypass the spam filter (I didn't even know there was a spam filter). Also, I was not at all using spam as a tactic. It happened to be a tactic to make us win, but I just wanted to make myself heard. In the process of this, I ended up spamming, but spamming was not at all my intention.
BeansAndDip
Jester
Jester

Postby Jerme » Sun Feb 14, 2021 2:45 am

Spamming would be spamming, regardless if intended or not.

Jerme
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby BeansAndDip » Sun Feb 14, 2021 9:45 am

But do you think an exception could be made? With all the given reasons and evidence behind it I really don't think it is a good reason to pema-ban an active player since 2017.
BeansAndDip
Jester
Jester

Postby Jerme » Sun Feb 14, 2021 10:22 am

The ban is due to our ban system working in a tiered way. The fourth punishment is usually permanent.

Jerme
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby BeansAndDip » Sun Feb 14, 2021 10:30 pm

The system is set in stone- I understand that. However, these appeals are where people go when they believe the system has failed them, and I have made it clear why I believe the system has failed me. I am not asking to come back to Town of Salem with a clean slate, I am asking to come back with my 4th strike gone, as I believe that it was invalid. I believe that, if let back in to my account, I will never have the issue of being reported again.
BeansAndDip
Jester
Jester

Postby Flavorable » Mon Feb 15, 2021 2:32 am

No, appeals are here for people who got banned or suspended invalidly. Not for people who think rules don't apply to them.

You were disruptive with your spam to the point where people can barely get a word in edgewise. You can take control without breaking the rules.
No reply to your support ticket after 15 business days? PM me with your ticket number.

You may PM me for clarifications on appeal verdicts, but keep in mind the verdict will not change.

Do you have 151+ games played and want to help rid the community of toxic players and gamethrowers? Join the Trial System today: https://www.blankmediagames.com/Trial/#start

Flavorable
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby BeansAndDip » Mon Feb 15, 2021 8:35 am

Flavorable, I never once said that rules do not apply to me. I clearly stated, "I believe the system has failed me." This does in no way mean that I think that rules do not apply to me. It means that I believe the system has wrongfully banned me, and, if looked over again, a moderator will agree with me that my ban should be reversed.
Secondly, when I "spammed" my message, I repeated it 7 times. If it really was the case that "people can barely get a word in edgewise", people were silenced for maybe 5 seconds.
You are correct though, there are much better ways to take control of the town, and this was 100% my fault. I should have let myself been heard instead of making myself heard.
BeansAndDip
Jester
Jester

Postby Jerme » Mon Feb 15, 2021 10:13 am

5 or more messages with the same content is considered spam, you did more.

Jerme
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby BeansAndDip » Mon Feb 15, 2021 10:57 am

I understand that Jerme, I am not saying that I did not break the rules. However, I am just saying that the context of it should prove that I was not trying to harm anyone or do anything wrong.
BeansAndDip
Jester
Jester

Postby BeansAndDip » Fri Feb 26, 2021 10:16 am

After 11 days with no response, I am assuming that my account will not be unbanned. Am I correct?
BeansAndDip
Jester
Jester

Postby BeansAndDip » Fri Feb 26, 2021 10:02 pm

Yeah man, really sucks. I don't care about the money, I'd pay up to $100 to get my account back. I just want it back for nostalgia purposes, as this is the account I would play on in 5th grade. Shame that a player of 4 years was banned for repeating a sentence 5 times. True shame.
BeansAndDip
Jester
Jester

Postby Jerme » Sat Feb 27, 2021 6:50 am

I apologize, you cannot buy your account back.

Jerme
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby BeansAndDip » Sun Feb 28, 2021 12:22 pm

I do not actually want to buy my account back. I have tried to make it clear that I deserve my account back without paying a dollar, as I have given lots of time and effort to give you long, logical responses.
BeansAndDip
Jester
Jester

Postby Jerme » Mon Mar 01, 2021 11:43 am

When you did in fact get punished for breaking the rules, then the punishment is valid and thus cannot be appealed.

Jerme
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby BeansAndDip » Tue Mar 02, 2021 2:23 pm

Is that not the entire reason to have appeals? People come to the appeals for a chance to be judged by a human, not the awful system. I am here because the system has failed me, and want human judgement. Even you, Jerme, a moderator, can understand the BS of this ban if you use empathy.
BeansAndDip
Jester
Jester

Postby Flavorable » Tue Mar 02, 2021 2:48 pm

BeansAndDip wrote:Is that not the entire reason to have appeals? People come to the appeals for a chance to be judged by a human, not the awful system. I am here because the system has failed me, and want human judgement. Even you, Jerme, a moderator, can understand the BS of this ban if you use empathy.

No, the reason for appeals for this game, is so people who get banned or suspended by an invalid report can get it rectified.

Flavorable
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby Jerme » Tue Mar 02, 2021 3:02 pm

That aside are the reports judged not automatically, but handled by a judge or moderator and they might make mistakes.

Jerme
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby LevinSnakesRise » Thu Mar 04, 2021 8:51 pm

If you had not already had a history for Spamming I might have changed this to an Exception instead of Guilty and give another shot, however all reports are valid and valid bans cannot be appealed.

Appeal Denied.
Please contact BMG with any questions regarding your account issues;
support@blankmediagames.zendesk.com

Thanks.
LevinSnakesRise
Site Admin
Site Admin

Return to Appeals