Wrongful Suspension

Were you banned? Have it appealed here.

Wrongful Suspension

Postby doopitydiggitydoo » Wed Aug 10, 2022 6:45 pm

My report https://www.blankmediagames.com/Trial/v ... id=3749281

At no point in this match did I harass anyone (you literally see me encouraging people and typing <3) nor did I perpetuate hate speech against anyone. At the end of the match, the lobby agreed to report 14 (I was 3). Either way, there's no grounds to ban me permanently. Respectfully, I am asking you to correct this mistake and rescind my ban.
doopitydiggitydoo

Re: Wrongful Suspension

Postby TrialBot » Wed Aug 10, 2022 6:50 pm

Want your guilty reports without submitting an appeal? Send me a PM!
Want all your reports filed against you? Put "All" in the body of the message.

TrialBot by iggyvolz.
TrialBot
BOT
BOT

Postby Jerme » Wed Aug 10, 2022 10:38 pm

Greetings,

the length of each suspension issued to your account depends on your previous strikes. Each suspension symbolizes one and the fourth suspension would be a ban.
The given verdict was reached due to you using a hardfiltered word on your last message on day 2.
Disclaimer: I try to abide by the game's softfilter and use the appropriate replacements, when I am using the forums. Those will be set in brackets. Example: [tarnation]
Visit my role suggestions and give me feedback: http://www.blankmediagames.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php?f=27&t=28949

Visit the Testing Grounds
Occupation: A developers pain and joy (QA-fox), currently "hired" by Ralozey
Jerme
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby doopitydiggitydoo » Thu Aug 11, 2022 3:22 pm

Your logic in the first half jives. However, I don't think it's justifiable that I'm banned (or for semantic's sake, found guilty) for the word in question, given the following reasons:

Firstly, there is no evidence I intentionally evaded a hardfiltered word. I typed a sentence as it appeared in someone else's will, just as they phrased it or similarly (to my memory). Certainly, I had no intentions of evading a filter on purpose, nor was I aware that the word "Fine Person of the Female Variety/cunty" was a hardfiltered word since it's not in my day-to-day vocabulary. At any rate, I quoted a lynched townie because I thought how they worded their will was humorous and ironic. I can explain why, but that's probably not imperative.

Before it was clarified to me by Jerme, I literally had no idea that this word was the cause of my ban. My first reaction was, "At what point was I harassing anyone, or perpetuating hate speech toward someone?" It was my understanding that if the word was written in someone else's will, it is permissible as it was not filtered. I was not given a single warning regarding the use of this particular word, neither via automated message nor by knowledge of other players. From this, my innocence is apparent due to my ignorance of breaking a rule. That said, I grasp the idea that obvious evasions are not allowed, like the racist things player 10 was saying.

However, punishment just for punishment's sake is demoralizing, especially when there was no intent or knowledge of breaking a rule. Unfortunately for me, it's up to someone else's moral compass to decide whether this principle should be considered in my case. Imagine this scenario: You know that you aren't supposed to use certain cups from the kitchen cabinet. You're sure to avoid grabbing these cups at all times. One day, you see a sibling grab a cup from a different location, so you reach for that sort of cup, only to find those particular cups are also off limits, but what's more is that you're punished by your parent for your lack of awareness. Add insult to injury, something you've enjoyed for years is suddenly taken away as the form of punishment.

My second point to support my case, is that there's no evidence of ill-intent on my part in any capacity. How do we know this? Not only was I playing my role, but also supporting my teammates. I was verbally participating in discussions and trials. People who show up to break the rules do not act in this way.

Don't you think it's a bit counterintuitive that a player who actively tries to abide by the rules, but out of sheer ignorance or simply not knowing, is punished by an ultimately arbitrary ruling for a one-off statement that in all likelihood caused no harm to any player? I've had this account for many, many years, have been an active, positive player in this community. I firmly believe nuance and intent should be used when carefully considering my words, as they are genuine. You can see I'm clearly not someone spewing hateful rhetoric, sexist remarks, or hurtful dialogue. I was not harassing any player. Generally speaking, I am quality player, and believe keeping this type of user makes the most sense given the current climate of the player base.

In summation, I understand why the rules exist on a functional level, but I believe I deserve to be humanized and given the benefit of the doubt in this scenario. I am not just text on a screen, or one word, like I am viewed by these jurors and judge. I am a human being capable of making some mistakes, but again I have identified the problem and will move forward sans-curse words in-game. Consider the observable fact that at no point was I actively aggressive, combative or toxic toward players during this match. There is no reason to assume I said this word to purposefully break a rule or cause harm. My behavior doesn't line up with that. At worst, there was a misunderstanding of my intention and of the chat filter, but this is a lesson learned to just avoid using curse words at all.

This would be considered my final ban, which means my real-life money and 2k hours of my time would be lost. As a longtime member of this community who typically does well abiding by the rules, I respectfully ask that my ban be rescinded.
doopitydiggitydoo

Postby Flavorable » Mon Aug 15, 2022 10:55 am

Evading the hardfilter always results in a strike. You being oblivious to the rules does not make them not apply.

Moderator Message: Your appeal has been denied. Your reports are valid and valid suspensions or bans cannot be appealed.
No reply to your support ticket after 15 business days? PM me with your ticket number.

You may PM me for clarifications on appeal verdicts, but keep in mind the verdict will not change.

Do you have 151+ games played and want to help rid the community of toxic players and gamethrowers? Join the Trial System today: https://www.blankmediagames.com/Trial/#start

Also, check out the Trial System Discord Server: https://discord.gg/K5SnyJS
Flavorable
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Return to Appeals