Appeal: Phoobley

Were you banned? Have it appealed here.

Appeal: Phoobley

Postby phoobley » Sat May 15, 2021 12:11 am

Appealing my suspension. I will start off by saying I am a black male, so me and my other black friends occasionally make slightly racially charged jokes (about black people only. Never anything blatantly racist, always obvious jokes). It's all in fun and nobody is hurt or offended by it. I know there's no way to verify that information, but I feel the backstory is at least worth adding.

Anyway, I was reported and suspended for Hate Speech/Harassment. As soon as the match starts (I am selected as mafia), our godfather leaves. Fairly common occurrence. The godfather's name was literally "Negrodamus", so as what I thought to be a slightly funny joke to lighten the mood from losing the godfather, I said "Now that the negro is gone we can play." Like I said, undeniably a racially charged statement but also an obvious joke as it is playing at his name. I also don't consider "negro" to be an offensive term (unless used in an intentionally offensive way, obviously), so I didn't think anything of the joke. For those unaware, "Negrodamus" is the name of a persona played by famous black comedian Dave Chapelle, also adding to the statement that black people generally don't view "negro" as an offensive term (when not used in an offensive way). One of my mafia teammates responded with "wtf" to which I then replied "no its ok I am black I can say that." I said this both as a literal true fact(I am black), and also as another sarcastic edgy joke (like a white person saying "no its ok I have black friends).

We then moved on, the game proceeded as normal, we as mafia all seemingly enjoyed ourselves and no other edgy jokes of any sort were made. I assume my teammate had already reported me when i initially made the statement though, which is why I was suspended. I guess I should watch what I say online to strangers, as they may not share that same brand of humor and have no way of verifying my race, so a statement like that could easily just come off as a racist jab.

So yeah, that's all. I'm not super upset I was suspended, 7 days isn't insanely long or anything, but it felt worth appealing anyway and see what happens. Cheers guys. Sorry again.
phoobley

Re: Appeal: Phoobley

Postby Jerme » Sat May 15, 2021 4:45 am

Greetings,

please note that only invalid reports may be appealed. Please keep in mind that your ethnic group is unrelated to the rules and thus does not give you a free pass on the rules.
Disclaimer: I try to abide by the game's softfilter and use the appropriate replacements, when I am using the forums. Those will be set in brackets. Example: [tarnation]
Visit my role suggestions and give me feedback: http://www.blankmediagames.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php?f=27&t=28949

Visit the Testing Grounds
Occupation: A developers pain and joy (QA-fox), currently "hired" by Ralozey
Jerme
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby TrialBot » Sat May 15, 2021 4:50 am

Want your guilty reports without submitting an appeal? Send me a PM!
Want all your reports filed against you? Put "All" in the body of the message.

TrialBot by iggyvolz.
TrialBot
BOT
BOT

Postby Jerme » Sat May 15, 2021 4:55 am

As far as I've noticed were you the Godfather and not the one who left. THe quote or yours was pretty questionable in my opinion.
Disclaimer: I try to abide by the game's softfilter and use the appropriate replacements, when I am using the forums. Those will be set in brackets. Example: [tarnation]
Visit my role suggestions and give me feedback: http://www.blankmediagames.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php?f=27&t=28949

Visit the Testing Grounds
Occupation: A developers pain and joy (QA-fox), currently "hired" by Ralozey
Jerme
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby phoobley » Sat May 15, 2021 7:01 pm

Was I the godfather? Sorry, must've misremembered that point. Regardless, that fact wasn't really relevant in the story at all, the main point was "mafia member left, his name was negrodamus, made a (poor) joke in relation to that." Also I think its worth pointing out that him even being able to name himself that means it's not a blacklisted word.

As I said earlier, I don't believe my ethnic group gives me a free pass at all, simply thought that point of backstory was worth including for some background.
phoobley

Return to Appeals