Pretending to Cheat

Ask questions you may have about the game here.

Pretending to Cheat

Postby alex1234321 » Wed Dec 23, 2020 10:34 pm

Are you allowed to pretend to cheat without actually cheating? For example, if I'm the last Mafia in a 3v1 situation, can I say something like "I'm with John Hathorne IRL and he's Mafia" in order to get the other players to lynch a Townie? This is assuming that I'm not actually with John Hathorne.
#SaveTheTG

Tired of trying to play discord Mafia games and not getting enough people? Join Town of Morons! We now have our own bot!

Credit to PurpleSidewalk1
alex1234321
Role Ideas Moderator
Role Ideas Moderator

Re: Pretending to Cheat

Postby dolphina » Wed Dec 23, 2020 11:18 pm

Short answer: no.
Long answer: if you claim to cheat or hint towards cheating in any way, the jurors are required to take your claims seriously, and you can be suspended/banned for this.
Hi. I'm Caleb, and you're watching Disney Channel.

vocaloid KAITO #1 fan

He/they pronouns. Trans rights! I have fifteen names and infinite anxiety. I am the transgender masculine.

PM me for my Discord!
I’m a self proclaimed anarchist, and a god of chaos (apparently).
My stinky FM Record
dolphina
Blackmailer
Blackmailer

Postby cob709 » Wed Dec 23, 2020 11:18 pm

No. It uses outside influence to change the outcome of the game.
Pretending to break a rule will be punished as breaking a rule.
please dont do this
I SEE ALL
cob709
Mayor
Mayor

Postby kyuss420 » Thu Dec 24, 2020 12:11 am

If you say you cheated, it makes it pretty hard to prove you didnt... so you will likely be banned. John Hathorne probly wont be tho, just in case you are claiming to cheat with randoms....to get someone inno banned.
goosegoosegoosegoosegoose
Spoiler: Image Spoiler: Image Spoiler: Image Spoiler: Image Spoiler: Image
kyuss420
Serial Killer
Serial Killer

Postby Joacgroso » Sat Dec 26, 2020 12:09 pm

What if the mafia player announces in the mafia chat that he is going to lie about cheating before claiming to cheat?
Joacgroso wrote:I feel like I went from Light Yagami to Keiichi Maebara.

I still hope one day the game will have private lobbies. They would really help.
Also, please nerf vampire hunters.
Joacgroso
Werewolf
Werewolf

Postby Flavorable » Sat Dec 26, 2020 1:32 pm

Joacgroso wrote:What if the mafia player announces in the mafia chat that he is going to lie about cheating before claiming to cheat?

Still not allowed. The player is STILL using outside influence to (try to) change the outcome of the game.
No reply to your support ticket after 15 business days? PM me with your ticket number.

You may PM me for clarifications on appeal verdicts, but keep in mind the verdict will not change.

Do you have 151+ games played and want to help rid the community of toxic players and gamethrowers? Join the Trial System today: https://www.blankmediagames.com/Trial/#start

Also, check out the Trial System Discord Server: https://discord.gg/K5SnyJS
Flavorable
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby Paradox12 » Sat Dec 26, 2020 4:07 pm

I mean I'd say that pretending to cheat to win is pretty much exploiting something that isn't part of the game itself to gain an advantage so yeah it shouldn't really be allowed and it isn't.
Paradox12
Transporter
Transporter

Postby RiceHatMan » Mon Dec 28, 2020 9:53 am

Flavorable wrote:
Joacgroso wrote:What if the mafia player announces in the mafia chat that he is going to lie about cheating before claiming to cheat?

Still not allowed. The player is STILL using outside influence to (try to) change the outcome of the game.

With the same logic, is threatening to report for gamethrowing bannable? For example, if someone says "if you lynch me I will report you for gamethrowing" when they are clearly evil, is that bannable?
RiceHatMan
Investigator
Investigator

Postby Joacgroso » Mon Dec 28, 2020 1:10 pm

But doing fake reports isn't cheating or gamethrowing, it's just harassing. And as long as the lynched player doens't encourage other players to report, it's fine.
Joacgroso wrote:I feel like I went from Light Yagami to Keiichi Maebara.

I still hope one day the game will have private lobbies. They would really help.
Also, please nerf vampire hunters.
Joacgroso
Werewolf
Werewolf

Postby RiceHatMan » Tue Dec 29, 2020 6:35 pm

Joacgroso wrote:But doing fake reports isn't cheating or gamethrowing, it's just harassing. And as long as the lynched player doens't encourage other players to report, it's fine.

It's not about that, it's the threatening that makes inexperienced or indecisive players fall for the trick, giving the person an unfair advantage.
RiceHatMan
Investigator
Investigator

Postby syjfwbaobfwl » Tue Dec 29, 2020 8:25 pm

Harryyoshi wrote:
Joacgroso wrote:But doing fake reports isn't cheating or gamethrowing, it's just harassing. And as long as the lynched player doens't encourage other players to report, it's fine.

It's not about that, it's the threatening that makes inexperienced or indecisive players fall for the trick, giving the person an unfair advantage.

Not sure but I think its not allowed, in most of cases, pretend to break a rule is the same than breaking it (in this case inciting false reports)
syjfwbaobfwl
Jailor
Jailor

Postby Brilliand » Tue Dec 29, 2020 11:45 pm

Harryyoshi wrote:

Counterprinciple: There should be nothing that a legit townie is allowed to say that an evil is not allowed to say.

If the Jailor is allowed to say "if you lynch me I will report you for gamethrowing", then every evil role needs to be able to say that too, else the game has an exploit.

Inexperienced players fall for that trick because they believe that only a legitimate townie could say those things, and they need to be shown that that's not true.
Brilliand
Godfather
Godfather

Return to Ask Questions