Game of Thrones S6 Hype/Discussion Thread

Discuss about anything non-TOS related here. Keep responses high quality, or go to the Lounge 8-)

Game of Thrones S6 Hype/Discussion Thread

Postby pumacatrun2 » Mon Apr 25, 2016 4:15 am

So I just finished watching the first episode of the season, and I think it worked well as a good catch-up of all the main storylines at the moment. I'm hoping future episodes don't try to cram in as many characters as possible and elaborate on specific scenes but for a first episode I'm pretty pleased with it.

I figured there's probably a decent amount of people on the forums who love GoT too, so I made this thread for episode discussion, images, generally anything relating to GoT (but specifically S6).

As for rules:
- Obviously keep it SFW, I don't want Melisandre's assets spammed all over the thread :roll:
- Keep posts about episodes in spoilers until ~12 hours after it's officially aired so as to not ruin someone's day.
- Theories are welcome to be discussed!
- Screengrabs and memes are totally welcome as long as it's not complete shitposting.

So, what do you all think of S6 so far? :)

also if this is better off in the lounge feel free to move it
Favoured role: Executioner
Least favoured role: Sheriff
Most commonly known in games as "Cat Burglar".

"If ignorance is bliss, you must be orgasmic."

FM Record: Spoiler: Image
rip my win/loss ratio
pumacatrun2
Benefactor
Benefactor

Re: Game of Thrones S6 Hype/Discussion Thread

Postby VucubCaquix » Mon Apr 25, 2016 9:02 am

Can we talk about the books?
Coming 2020 - Who is The Mole?
VucubCaquix
[Forum Mafia X] Winner
[Forum Mafia X] Winner

Postby pumacatrun2 » Mon Apr 25, 2016 9:08 am

VucubCaquix wrote:Can we talk about the books?

Yeah for sure considering the show is pretty much up to the point where the books can't spoil much else. Talking about stuff not in the show like Lady Stoneheart, Coldhands, the different Sansa plotlines etc. is fine too. Just the point of the thread is more based around GoT ongoing/current. But yeah, go nuts :)

rip my win/loss ratio
pumacatrun2
Benefactor
Benefactor

Postby BananaMonkeyTaco » Mon Apr 25, 2016 2:43 pm

They have killed characters beloved and hated. Made us watch atrocities most foul. They have gone TOO FAR THIS TIME. They showed us those "assets" and betrayed us.

Besides my the obvious evilness in the betrayal though, what's up with that scene. I doubt the show is trying to say that Melisandre does that every night, in the book she doesn't at least. Now the question is not if she doubts her god, but how much? If she's about to completely give up on her religion, and by extension all of her powers, does this mean that Jon is dead for good?

In a way I personally kind of hope so. If Jon stays dead in the show then there might be a chance that he comes back in the book. The Wall & Daenaerys are the two last plots that are following the book almost by the letter. Something will need to change about them to split of from the book this season.
BananaMonkeyTaco
Retributionist
Retributionist

Postby pumacatrun2 » Mon Apr 25, 2016 2:53 pm

BananaMonkeyTaco wrote:They have killed characters beloved and hated. Made us watch atrocities most foul. They have gone TOO FAR THIS TIME. They showed us those "assets" and betrayed us.

Besides my the obvious evilness in the betrayal though, what's up with that scene. I doubt the show is trying to say that Melisandre does that every night, in the book she doesn't at least. Now the question is not if she doubts her god, but how much? If she's about to completely give up on her religion, and by extension all of her powers, does this mean that Jon is dead for good?

In a way I personally kind of hope so. If Jon stays dead in the show then there might be a chance that he comes back in the book. The Wall & Daenaerys are the two last plots that are following the book almost by the letter. Something will need to change about them to split of from the book this season.

I haven't read the books but I heard somewhere that Melisandre is actually like super superrrrrr old, she probably doesn't do it every night but maybe every now and then, it probably takes magic/energy or something to keep up the appearance.

The group holed up in the room with Jon's body are trying to reach out to both the wildlings and Melisandre, who knows what could happen. There's also theories that Jon warged inside Ghost (he evens says "Ghost" as his last words in the book) before he died and therefore his soul is still in Ghost. But if you've seen the trailers for this season there's a bunch of hints - namely like two shots of someone with hair veeeeery similar to Jon's on a horse, and the fact that Davos/wildings/nights watchmen seem to be going into battle. I suggest checking them out if you're curious.

I don't think D&D plan to fully split from the books, it just means they aren't running on book material anymore. It's not the same story anymore but that doesn't mean they have to change an already perfectly fine plotline just to make it original.

rip my win/loss ratio
pumacatrun2
Benefactor
Benefactor

Postby Swordsworth » Mon Apr 25, 2016 3:14 pm

I've read the books, but the show seems too much an investment of time to get into.
Spoiler: Somewhere beyond the sea
Somewhere waiting for me

S E N A T O R M E M E C H I N O
Swordsworth
Patron
Patron

Postby pumacatrun2 » Mon Apr 25, 2016 3:17 pm

Swordsworth wrote:I've read the books, but the show seems too much an investment of time to get into.

A lot of people who've read the books tend to look down on the show so that might be a better choice for you, but I just binge-watching a season at a time when I was on holidays/weekends to catch up. Without having read the books I think it's actually pretty awesome, so it's worth at least giving an episode or few a try, but up to you.

If you can't be bothered waiting for the books to come out though, it's definitely something to keep you occupied til then.

rip my win/loss ratio
pumacatrun2
Benefactor
Benefactor

Postby BananaMonkeyTaco » Mon Apr 25, 2016 3:35 pm

pumacatrun2 wrote:
BananaMonkeyTaco wrote:They have killed characters beloved and hated. Made us watch atrocities most foul. They have gone TOO FAR THIS TIME. They showed us those "assets" and betrayed us.

I haven't read the books but I heard somewhere that Melisandre is actually like super superrrrrr old, she probably doesn't do it every night but maybe every now and then, it probably takes magic/energy or something to keep up the appearance.

The group holed up in the room with Jon's body are trying to reach out to both the wildlings and Melisandre, who knows what could happen. There's also theories that Jon warged inside Ghost (he evens says "Ghost" as his last words in the book) before he died and therefore his soul is still in Ghost. But if you've seen the trailers for this season there's a bunch of hints - namely like two shots of someone with hair veeeeery similar to Jon's on a horse, and the fact that Davos/wildings/nights watchmen seem to be going into battle. I suggest checking them out if you're curious.

I don't think D&D plan to fully split from the books, it just means they aren't running on book material anymore. It's not the same story anymore but that doesn't mean they have to change an already perfectly fine plotline just to make it original.

I have read the books 7 or 8 times but will not claim to have picked out every detail, that's why I keep rereading them. She has only one chapter which has some prophecies and those are what I always looked at. I do remember her having brief memories of "Melony, Lot Seven." Presumably this is when she is picked to become a priest but maybe there was something about how long that was that I missed. Either way, having a glamour constantly going would take a bit of energy I'm guessing, but she does that for another person for a bit without much of a sweat. Besides one moment that is but still. The thing about that scene is that she is obviously shown to be extremely confused about what she saw in the fire vs the dead body that she sees.

For what Jon is doing right now, I know a lot about the theories of him "warging." The prologue of A Dance With Dragons (Might be A Feast For Crows) centers around Varamyr Sixskins, a wildling skinchanger. When he dies it shows him going into one of his 3 remaining wolves and is seen again, in the wolves, later on by Bran. Jon going into Ghost is almost completely certain, the only problem is how will he get out? The Old Gods have some powers but have never really indicated that they could bring someone dead back to life. There is a theory that the three eyed crow could be a champion for the Others, thus putting the Old Gods on the same side as the Others which bring the dead to life, but let's not over complicate things. Without a complete religion plot twist the only way Jon is coming back is through Melisandre. Her god is the same god that brought Beric Dondarrion back to life on multiple occasions, but if she has given her god up she can't really bring Jon back.

As for splitting from the books, well they've been slowing doing it since season 3. It's an intentional thing as well. Everyone knows that the books are always better than the show/movie because there are some things you just can't tell the viewer vs the reader. Making the story their own however, not only makes the show special but also makes it very similar to how the book is written. Things don't go as expected.
BananaMonkeyTaco
Retributionist
Retributionist

Postby Alicitzen » Mon Apr 25, 2016 8:09 pm

I have no interest in the series, I just look up the spoilers to annoy people who do care.
Discord: Alicitzen#1312
Alicitzen
Valentines 2017
Valentines 2017

Postby BananaMonkeyTaco » Tue Apr 26, 2016 2:01 am

Sarah Thorpe wrote:I have no interest in the series, I just look up the spoilers to annoy people who do care.

You are so evil :lol:
BananaMonkeyTaco
Retributionist
Retributionist

Return to Off-Topic Discussions