What is the community like here?

Discuss about anything non-TOS related here. Keep responses high quality, or go to the Lounge 8-)

What is the community like here?

Postby TheColdestSun » Sat Apr 02, 2016 2:27 am

I moderate some other forums, you see. It's a pretty small site with an active userbase probably beneath 50 or so. Generally speaking, everyone knows everyone there. There's a lot of petty drama and children meeting each other and deciding to online date and being madly in love with one another within the day and it's frankly hilarious. My point being that it's like one of those stereotypical old small towns where all the neighbors know each other, except with a lot less racism. Are these forums anything like that? Do you make friendships here and maintain them? Do people here recognize one another and know each others' personalities and interests and whatnot?

This one may be kind of a newbish question, so sorry, but also, is there any kind of roleplaying on this site? I don't know if it would fit into any of these boards and I certainly don't want to bother anyone.
TheColdestSun
Executioner
Executioner

Re: What is the community like here?

Postby ibney000 » Sat Apr 02, 2016 5:32 am

Were all a bunch of nerds and geeks. All the regulars know each other. At least in their own sub sections of the forums. Many users stick to the FM games because they like to play with others and its the only thing that interests them. Others stick to the off topic section and forum games. Many of us don't even play TOS anymore and simply stick around because we like each other.

And we have joke relationships. Although a while ago you were banned from the forums if you didn't have a crush on Achro.
ibney000
Forger
Forger

Postby smallworldz » Sat Apr 02, 2016 6:30 am

ibney000 wrote:Were all a bunch of nerds and geeks. All the regulars know each other. At least in their own sub sections of the forums. Many users stick to the FM games because they like to play with others and its the only thing that interests them. Others stick to the off topic section and forum games. Many of us don't even play TOS anymore and simply stick around because we like the community.

And we have joke relationships. Although a while ago you were banned from the forums if you didn't have a crush on Achro.

^this, as well as there is generally a sense of caring in this forums,
as for rp, go to forum games and check something called T.R . A . S .H :An Educational Syllabus to Survive Madness

also ppl generally know eachother in rl as well.(we got a skype, discord, hangouts(well used to i think),and dubtrack room, so yeah)
Last edited by smallworldz on Sat Apr 02, 2016 6:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
don't click this link...

Image appreciate the hugs <3

smallworldz
Retributionist
Retributionist

Postby vorono » Sat Apr 02, 2016 6:33 am

I haven't been that involved with the community, but it seems nice enough.
vorono
Witch
Witch

Postby SecretWeaponCoffee » Sat Apr 02, 2016 9:10 am

I had a long post written for this but my internet died. Meanwhile other people answered.

So I'm just posting this because it's polite and because I like cats.
"Oh no not Coffee.." | Lead town, get lynched. Lather, rise, repeat.
SecretWeaponCoffee
Vigilante
Vigilante

Postby alouvre » Sat Apr 02, 2016 9:15 am

Ibney pretty much covered it. If you stick around, you'll start to recognize people regardless of where you 'camp out' too.

Whether you can maintain a friendship here depends on whether you can maintain a friendship in any other community. If you have similar interests and personalities that get along, then yes, it'll last a very long time. But if you only have a few interests or conflicting personalities, you'll eventually drift apart. The people I used to talk to were awesome, for example, but the thread that brought us together was closed and our interests simply diverged. The only person from back then that I still talk to is the person who introduced me to FM, and that's the community I'm involved in now. You should join us lol B)

In regards to roleplay, the thread Small suggested works. You could also check out VLDR and see if that strikes your fancy. If you like 1 on 1 roleplays you're free to create a thread on it as well; you wouldn't be bothering anybody or breaking any rules. OR YOU CAN PM ME BECAUSE I'M A SUPER RP GEEK.
alouvre
Blackmailer
Blackmailer

Postby SecretWeaponCoffee » Sat Apr 02, 2016 9:50 am

I'd be interested in reading some RP if it was literate.
"Oh no not Coffee.." | Lead town, get lynched. Lather, rise, repeat.
SecretWeaponCoffee
Vigilante
Vigilante

Postby Nellyfox » Sat Apr 02, 2016 10:07 am

ibney000 wrote:And we have joke relationships. Although a while ago you were banned from the forums if you didn't have a crush on Achro.

Not all the relationships are jokes. Deahart is engaged, but many people don't know about them. :[
Also I dated Achro for 2 minutes so I think I win.

Anyway, from a moderator's standpoint, the community has its batch of bickering children who complain when something doesn't go their way, but when things are going decently this place is pretty great.
I've been here quite a long while and I've had a ton of friendships; I've had three times where I've met up with people irl that I met on here. Hopefully I'll meet some more members over the summer (that's the plan, at least). Shoutout to two members who are like, my closest friends and I don't know what I'd do without them.
It may take a while to merge into the community, but after a while people will start being familiar to you. What everyone said above pretty much gets it right. Although since no one answered this one yet, yes internet relationships exist here too.
Nellyfox
[Forum Mafia V] Winner
[Forum Mafia V] Winner

Postby Painkillerz » Sat Apr 02, 2016 1:36 pm

cancerous

I've been here a little while and since I mostly stay in the forum game section I have gotten to know some of the other steady players and hosts and I (would hope) that they at least recognize me around the forum. The forum is pretty friendly but I would warn against going into certain Lounge topics unless your ready for your eyes to bleed.
Spoiler:
VucubCaquix wrote:Our juice was already diluted with water. More water has been added, but the juice has long been too watery for a parrot like me to drink. And thus, nothing was truly changed.
Painkillerz
Sheriff
Sheriff

Postby dota2reporter » Sat Apr 02, 2016 1:39 pm

Everyone hates me ;-;
26-18 ToSFM
34-26 MU
0-3 MS

60-47
dota2reporter
[Forum Mafia XIX] Winner
[Forum Mafia XIX] Winner

Location: Somewhere in Kazakhstan, switching between UTC +5 and +6

Postby TheColdestSun » Sat Apr 02, 2016 2:20 pm

Wait, was that bit about being banned from the forums if you didn't have a crush on someone a joke?

Okay, before I proceed, I'd like to clarify something that might cause confusion. The forums I'm on has roleplaying in spades. The kind that is generally simple and has *actions performed in like this* with little detail, we call RPing. The more descriptive kind, written in the format of a book, we call "soaping". That dates back to long before I joined those forums. My elders started calling it that as short for "soap operas". And that's what I'm inclined to call it, so please forgive me if I confuse anyone.

smallworldz, I've checked the thread you mentioned. Is it meant to be an example? Could I just post a thread like that and get some people?

SecretWeaponCoffee, I feel. I, too, am passionate about cats. I'd like to think my soaps are what can be called "literate", but I can't say much. I'm biased, you know?

alouvre OKAY THANK YOU. I'll certainly keep you in mind, then. Do you mind if I add you as a friend on here so I can find you more easily later?
It might be a while before I'm ready to actually soap with anyone. I just wanted to check for future reference. I haven't been much in the mood for soaping lately, but that might have something to do with the fact that most of the older users on the forums I'm on have left, and the newer users are all pretty... disappointing.

Nellyfox, oh shit
is there a story behind the two minutes or nah?
Thank you very much! I'm sure said bickering children won't be much of a problem for me here, though. They're mostly my concern on those other forums because I'm a moderator and a lot of them like to make some pretty low blows, like misgendering each other or making racist remarks becAUSE IT'S THE HEAT OF THE MOMENT I'M SORRY THAT'S NOT REALLY WHAT I'M LIKE I'M JUST MAD.
I wasn't really asking if internet relationships are a thing here. Anywhere people can communicate, they'll be drawn to that. I figured there would be.

dota2reporter, that's a crying shame.
TheColdestSun
Executioner
Executioner

Postby RetralMega » Sat Apr 02, 2016 2:27 pm

ibney000 wrote:Were all a bunch of nerds and geeks. All the regulars know each other. At least in their own sub sections of the forums. Many users stick to the FM games because they like to play with others and its the only thing that interests them. Others stick to the off topic section and forum games. Many of us don't even play TOS anymore and simply stick around because we like each other.

This is pretty much it.

We just chill. *Hits blunt.*
RetralMega
Patron
Patron

Postby Technetium » Sat Apr 02, 2016 2:29 pm

We do, in fact, just chill. Except in certain areas of concentrated salt.

The Forum Games section has a lot of fun stuff, including TRASH.

You'll enjoy it here, probably.

In memory of those who have been deleted.
The last poster to survive Blindside Island will win a cookie. Or perhaps 1500...
Technetium#8515 on Discord
Technetium
Godfather
Godfather

Postby Nellyfox » Sat Apr 02, 2016 2:33 pm

TheColdestSun wrote:Nellyfox, oh shit
Thank you very much! I'm sure said bickering children won't be much of a problem for me here, though. They're mostly my concern on those other forums because I'm a moderator and a lot of them like to make some pretty low blows, like misgendering each other or making racist remarks becAUSE IT'S THE HEAT OF THE MOMENT I'M SORRY THAT'S NOT REALLY WHAT I'M LIKE I'M JUST MAD.
I wasn't really asking if internet relationships are a thing here. Anywhere people can communicate, they'll be drawn to that. I figured there would be.

Not much to it. I had just asked if I could date her for two minutes and she agreed. Best two minutes ever. :P
Misgendering isn't too much of an issue here, pretty much all of us don't really care I think. And racism will get you banned so I'd try and be careful when upset.
And I meant romantic relationships but I think that happens everywhere too. Such as Transformice, oh boy. What a site.

I also would like to say we'd get along. I hope so.
Nellyfox
[Forum Mafia V] Winner
[Forum Mafia V] Winner

Postby RetralMega » Sat Apr 02, 2016 2:36 pm

Nellyfox wrote:
TheColdestSun wrote:Nellyfox, oh shit

Not much to it. I had just asked if I could date her for two minutes and she agreed. Best two minutes ever. :P
Misgendering isn't too much of an issue here, pretty much all of us don't really care I think. And racism will get you banned so I'd try and be careful when upset.
And I meant romantic relationships but I think that happens everywhere too. Such as Transformice, oh boy. What a site.

I also would like to say we'd get along. I hope so.

Yeah. I thought Nelly was a guy for the longest time until I got shit about calling her a he in a post. And not even from her. XD
RetralMega
Patron
Patron

Postby Alzar » Sat Apr 02, 2016 2:38 pm

Community is kind of weird, honestly. Most of the active big members of the community don't really play ToS at all anymore, which is something to keep in mind.

Otherwise, I like this most of the time. There are a lot of smaller off-site places for people on the forums to chat casually. FM is pretty great if you can commit to the time and you're into that sort of things. There's some weird drama shit that I keep out of, so I can't say anything about what that's like.

Purposeful misgendering also isn't really a thing here, unless it's some shit like in-jokes about catgirls. Watch out for those.
Spoiler: FM Record Image
Click here if you like crime games/text RPGs.
A reckoning will not be postponed indefinitely.
Alzar
FM Logo Winner
FM Logo Winner

Postby Nellyfox » Sat Apr 02, 2016 2:40 pm

Eh, I really don't care what you call me. Only time I remember getting upset is when Rick kept calling me he in 4B, but that was so long ago.

And with the mention of catgirls, we have a ton of inside jokes, so just a warning.
Nellyfox
[Forum Mafia V] Winner
[Forum Mafia V] Winner

Postby TheColdestSun » Sat Apr 02, 2016 3:48 pm

You all seem pretty cool.

NellyFox, oh. Well. That was considerably less hilarious than I had hoped. But alrighty. Sounds like a fun time.
The majority of the userbase on these other forums are part of the LGBT community. A lot of them are genderqueer, and people like to intentionally call them by the wrong pronouns and insist that they are their biological sex as a way to get the higher ground in an argument. It's all very disappointing. I don't know if that's what you were talking about here, but yeah.

Alzar, that's a shame. It's a pretty fun game.
TheColdestSun
Executioner
Executioner

Postby Alzar » Sat Apr 02, 2016 3:56 pm

If you look below this thread, you can see there's a chunk of the community who are LGBT+ here. Pretty sure we've never had the kind of stuff you're referring to here, from my experience on the forums.
Alzar
FM Logo Winner
FM Logo Winner

Postby TheColdestSun » Sat Apr 02, 2016 4:00 pm

That's great to hear, Alzar. Would you say this community is pretty mature, then?
TheColdestSun
Executioner
Executioner

Postby Alzar » Sat Apr 02, 2016 4:03 pm

Certain parts of it. I mean, there are a lot of people who get rude/salty/offensive at times, which is why I stay out of the drama and things, but I'm pretty sure nobody here is actively trying to hurt other people. The site's not perfect, but I've made some good friends though here.

Also, stay away from the lounge if you don't like memes. Over there, the memes are thick enough to drown a man.
Alzar
FM Logo Winner
FM Logo Winner

Postby Gobln » Sat Apr 02, 2016 4:06 pm

I am gobln. You shou
Gobln
Vampire Hunter
Vampire Hunter

Postby RetralMega » Sat Apr 02, 2016 4:06 pm

Gobln wrote:I am gobln. You shou

Was there more to this and you accidently submitted it early..?
RetralMega
Patron
Patron

Postby Technetium » Sat Apr 02, 2016 4:09 pm

RetralMega wrote:
Gobln wrote:I am gobln. You shou

Was there more to this and you accidently submitted it early..?

Or is gobin the new Candle Jack no he isn't the new me.

In memory of those who have been deleted.
The last poster to survive Blindside Island will win a cookie. Or perhaps 1500...
Technetium#8515 on Discord
Technetium
Godfather
Godfather

Postby TheColdestSun » Sat Apr 02, 2016 4:12 pm

That's understandable, Alzar. I'll hope for the best.
I don't know, memes are pretty okay. I'll venture in there some time when I'm feeling brave.

I'm going to assume there was more to that.

wait now what is candle jack n
TheColdestSun
Executioner
Executioner

Next

Return to Off-Topic Discussions