Dont starve

Discuss about anything non-TOS related here. Keep responses high quality, or go to the Lounge 8-)

Dont starve

Postby cmitc1 » Wed Mar 16, 2016 1:10 am

its a interesting game i found on steam, its a survival game, but a bit darker.

I am currently getting decent at the game, but i usually die during, or at the start of winter.

I know basic tips, like building your base near buffalo, but i still struggle, if you play dont starve, could i get some tips?
cmitc1
Arsonist
Arsonist

Re: Dont starve

Postby LetitiaWilson » Wed Mar 16, 2016 5:02 am

I can give you a few. Longest I managed was 98 days before the hounds got me.
Spoiler: 1) As you already know, build a base near the Beefalo herds, as they're a good source of food, wool and protection from hound attacks. But build at least a screen length away from them. That way, they don't destroy your base during the breeding season.

2) It's also a good idea to build near a road, since most of them lead straight to the Pig King, who can give you gold in return for useless trinkets. But don't build too close to actual pig settlements. They turn into Werepigs on a full moon and can destroy your base.

3) If you can, build near rabbit holes. They're an infinite source of food once you get some traps built, and can be used as Ear Muffs in Winter. Also, bird cages. Build some. They're a good source of food as trapped birds produce seeds when given fruit or veg.

4) Always have some logs, grass and twigs on you. That way, if you get caught out a distance from your base when night falls, you can make a light source.

5) If you find a Walrus Camp during summer, build your base as far away as you can. Walrus Hunting Parties spawn in winter and, while they drop good loot, they are a nightmare to kill as they're one of the few enemies in the game who have ranged attacks.

6) When winter comes around, it's a good idea to build a secondary base a distance from your main camp and stay there, only returning to the main camp every now and then. That way, when Deerclops spawns, you have somewhere you can use as either an escape plan or a decoy.

7) During winter, always wear ear muffs or a woolly hat and make a heat stone. When left by a lit fire, the stone heats up and, when placed in your inventory, keeps you warm for a bit longer.

If I can think of anything else, I'll add it. Also, keep in mind that these tactics might not work for you. Everyone works differently.
Sayonara, bitches.
LetitiaWilson
Mayor
Mayor

Postby Alzar » Wed Mar 16, 2016 6:48 am

i havent played dont starve in a while but one time i was running away from a frog and it hit me, but it then died and turned into meat because it fell into the trap that it knocked off of me

thats like 80% of my experience with it
Spoiler: FM Record Image
Click here if you like crime games/text RPGs.
A reckoning will not be postponed indefinitely.
Alzar
FM Logo Winner
FM Logo Winner

Postby VucubCaquix » Wed Mar 16, 2016 9:26 am

I had a good run. Then I saw some penguins and thought they would be easy prey.

rippp
Coming 2020 - Who is The Mole?
VucubCaquix
[Forum Mafia X] Winner
[Forum Mafia X] Winner

Postby SecretWeaponCoffee » Wed Mar 16, 2016 9:42 am

Thanks for the nightmares.
"Oh no not Coffee.." | Lead town, get lynched. Lather, rise, repeat.
SecretWeaponCoffee
Vigilante
Vigilante

Postby Kmenx » Wed Mar 16, 2016 9:54 am

LetitiaWilson wrote:-snip-.

8)Make a spear and a log suit ASAP go sand look for Gold Mines (The ones which has yellow strips)and Robo Dudes ?(The horse thing and it s sidekick i guess ?) they will drop metal so you can build a fridge and store your food
9)ALWAYS KILL TURKEYS They are annoying as fuck They will drop a decent amount of food AND THEY WILL LITERALLY MURDER YOUR BERRY BUSHES
10)Always place the trees you had chopped or the tree guardians will DESTROY you
You can find me in discord at Disguiser#5127

Spoiler: My FM record:
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... sp=sharing

Kmenx
Vigilante
Vigilante

Postby SecretWeaponCoffee » Wed Mar 16, 2016 9:57 am

ye

And do that thing with your beard.

like a shrine or something idk

shut up I'm contributing
"Oh no not Coffee.." | Lead town, get lynched. Lather, rise, repeat.
SecretWeaponCoffee
Vigilante
Vigilante

Postby LetitiaWilson » Wed Mar 16, 2016 11:41 am

Kmenx wrote:
LetitiaWilson wrote:-snip-.

8)Make a spear and a log suit ASAP go sand look for Gold Mines (The ones which has yellow strips)and Robo Dudes ?(The horse thing and it s sidekick i guess ?) they will drop metal so you can build a fridge and store your food
9)ALWAYS KILL TURKEYS They are annoying as fuck They will drop a decent amount of food AND THEY WILL LITERALLY MURDER YOUR BERRY BUSHES
10)Always place the trees you had chopped or the tree guardians will DESTROY you

To expand a little here;

8) With the Clockworks, the weaker Knights and more dangerous Bishops, be very careful. They are quite strong and can kill you easily if you're not prepared, as they rarely spawn alone. If you're gonna fight them, first lure the Knights away so you can deal with them without having to deal with the Bishops lasers. If you can, always deal with enemies one-on-one.
Also, if you see a red rhino-looking one, that's a Rook. They are VERY powerful and can destroy your base with ease, so lure them away from your base before fighting. Their attack is a charge which, while powerful enough to demolish anything in the way, is easy to dodge. So dodge, hit it a few times, then get some distance before starting over.

9) Fuck those turkeys. Kill them when you can, but they are very fast, so distance weapons like the blow darts are a good option if you can't corner the feathery bastards.

10) When you cut down certain trees, you get pine corns. These are VERY useful; when planted, they produce a new tree and can pacify aggravated Tree Guards.
Sayonara, bitches.
LetitiaWilson
Mayor
Mayor

Postby Alzar » Wed Mar 16, 2016 12:49 pm

gobbler tip: if you drop a pile of berries, it'll run towards them and you can kill it without it even trying to run away from you. if you're fast, you won't even lose the berries.
Alzar
FM Logo Winner
FM Logo Winner

Postby cmitc1 » Wed Mar 16, 2016 1:55 pm

thanks for all the great tips, i can see my using a lot of them.

anyway, what character would you suggest using? I usually like going with wilson, due to having no downfalls.
cmitc1
Arsonist
Arsonist

Postby Alzar » Wed Mar 16, 2016 2:02 pm

It's a personal preference thing, really. Wilson is amazing for his beard (insulation during winter and easy meat effigies), so there's nothing wrong with using him.

I like using Willow, personally, but more for aesthetic and thematic reasons than anything else. I like her voice.
Alzar
FM Logo Winner
FM Logo Winner

Postby cmitc1 » Wed Mar 16, 2016 2:05 pm

Alzar wrote:It's a personal preference thing, really. Wilson is amazing for his beard (insulation during winter and easy meat effigies), so there's nothing wrong with using him.

I like using Willow, personally, but more for aesthetic and thematic reasons than anything else. I like her voice.

If i am not mistaking, willow is the fire starting??? I did not even try being her, due to her burning everything when nervous.
cmitc1
Arsonist
Arsonist

Postby LetitiaWilson » Wed Mar 16, 2016 2:13 pm

As Alzar said, it's down to personal preference, really. Which suits your style more. For example, I usually play as Wilson as well, mainly due to him having no real downsides. But I've also started using Wendy as well, who is a decent character due to the fact she comes with an ally.

cmitc1 wrote:
Alzar wrote:If i am not mistaking, willow is the fire starting??? I did not even try being her, due to her burning everything when nervous.

Yeah, Willow is the firestarter. From what I've heard, she's not that bad of a character to use. Never used her myself, though, so I can't say for sure.
Sayonara, bitches.
LetitiaWilson
Mayor
Mayor

Postby Alzar » Wed Mar 16, 2016 2:16 pm

She's immune to fires and her sanity also goes up around fires, and the more fires there are, the more sanity she gains. It's pretty great if you like fires.

(The bear is kind of creepy imo, even though it can be useful.)
Alzar
FM Logo Winner
FM Logo Winner

Postby cmitc1 » Wed Mar 16, 2016 2:22 pm

Alzar wrote:She's immune to fires and her sanity also goes up around fires, and the more fires there are, the more sanity she gains. It's pretty great if you like fires.

(The bear is kind of creepy imo, even though it can be useful.)

I usually try to evade fires, and if i make one, i double check to make sure it is controlled.

and what does the bear do? In a LAN games with my sister, she spawned in with it, and i had no idea what it was suppose to be used for.
cmitc1
Arsonist
Arsonist

Postby Alzar » Wed Mar 16, 2016 2:23 pm

If you get to low sanity, the monsters won't attack you and will instead go after the bear.
Alzar
FM Logo Winner
FM Logo Winner

Postby oliy » Thu Mar 17, 2016 9:11 pm

Haven't played in a while, or much :\
All I know is the strong man is a chore to handle, and the tree monster is weak to fire.
Also, touchstones are cool.

Old Signature Stuff:

Spoiler:
Hi! I'm Eve the Eevee! Please give me a hug :3
You can also hurt/heal me here!

My Stuff
oliy
Vampire Hunter
Vampire Hunter

Postby LetitiaWilson » Fri Mar 18, 2016 3:15 am

oliy wrote:Haven't played in a while, or much :\
All I know is the strong man is a chore to handle, and the tree monster is weak to fire.

Yeah, unless you get a good supply of food very quickly, that is a tough character to use. And I wouldn't recommend using fire against the Tree Guards for two simple reasons;
1) They can spread the fire when they move, burning down forests or your base.
2) If they die whilst on fire, the rare materials they drop will instantly catch fire, making your efforts in vain.
Also touchstones are EXTREMELY useful, since they're like a checkpoint in a usually permadeath game. So always activate them when you find them.
Sayonara, bitches.
LetitiaWilson
Mayor
Mayor

Postby cmitc1 » Fri Mar 18, 2016 7:40 pm

LetitiaWilson wrote:
oliy wrote:Haven't played in a while, or much :\

Yeah, unless you get a good supply of food very quickly, that is a tough character to use. And I wouldn't recommend using fire against the Tree Guards for two simple reasons;
1) They can spread the fire when they move, burning down forests or your base.
2) If they die whilst on fire, the rare materials they drop will instantly catch fire, making your efforts in vain.
Also touchstones are EXTREMELY useful, since they're like a checkpoint in a usually permadeath game. So always activate them when you find them.

I love it when i find a touch stone, it makes me feel so much secure when i am collecting webs from spiders.

ALSO, I am starting to use Wendy more than Wilson, her twin sister kills all da spiders, and after the fight, i can heal her with the spider glands,
cmitc1
Arsonist
Arsonist

Postby Alzar » Fri Mar 18, 2016 8:58 pm

I personally don't like Wendy because of the sanity problem and just how it's a general pain to get Abigail out in the first place, but to each their own, I guess.

Do you turn your Spider Glands into Healing Salve?
Alzar
FM Logo Winner
FM Logo Winner

Postby cmitc1 » Fri Mar 18, 2016 9:51 pm

Alzar wrote:I personally don't like Wendy because of the sanity problem and just how it's a general pain to get Abigail out in the first place, but to each their own, I guess.

Do you turn your Spider Glands into Healing Salve?

i have never had problems with sanity. Wendy Loses less sanity at night, so that will make up for it if she has less.

anyway, Healing Salves are pretty simple to make, so i will if i am not panicking because winter is near.
cmitc1
Arsonist
Arsonist

Postby Kittydub » Sun Mar 20, 2016 8:09 am

I quit normal Don't Starve at around 400 days, started Shipwrecked, that's a whole new adventure.

Spoiler: The heat stone and the wooly hat you def need before winter, that should be the thing you do after you establish your base and have a food source. Don't waste your time on the basic farms, get the better one instead.
The thing I did was always get a winter base and a summer base. Summer base had the berry bushes and farms and sorts, stuff that doesn't do well in winter. My summerbase had the most weapons, like boomerangs to get bunnies (do not waste boomerangs on birds if you are hungry, they will give you feathers or morsels).

Also, ALWAYS (ALWAAAAYS) have a stone fire next to your closest touch stone and a chest with a heat rock in it and something to light the fire. No one wants to die again in the cold after just surviving.
Pickaxe the ice you see, ice stays forever in the fridge. Do not attack the pingu's. You will get rekt.

Taking on spiders, In early stages is good for silk, but leave a few around. Then always wait until it's tear 3 and then put 10 traps around it, draw them out and repeat untill its empty and you can kill the nest and replant them closer to you. When you're a bit further hammer down all pighouses you see and rebuild them around your new spiders, they will kill them for you. (They do eat the meat, but free silk and glands forever). Be sure to kill it after it grows to a tear 3 again. No one wants a queen.

I always played with Willow, she's the easiest imo for sanity. (To go from very low for nightmare fuel farming and to very high again by burning something.) I always had a special burning ring with normal trees for her.
What else.. Don't dig up the shrooms, they're good filler in crock pots and don't regrow in the world. If you happen to run into a tree guard, plant a few trees close to him (as close as you can get) He will calm himself.
And try Don't Starve Together! Great fun.
Kittydub
Witch
Witch

Postby genericnpc » Mon Mar 21, 2016 5:20 pm

Spoiler: got to love when you have 4 players and cant survive past day 7 :)
genericnpc
Bodyguard
Bodyguard

Postby cmitc1 » Mon Mar 21, 2016 8:11 pm

genericnpc wrote: Spoiler: got to love when you have 4 players and cant survive past day 7 :)

Spoiler: the longest me and my sister have survived is 31 days...... we were killed by the deerclopes.

Kittydub wrote:I quit normal Don't Starve at around 400 days, started Shipwrecked, that's a whole new adventure.

Spoiler: The heat stone and the wooly hat you def need before winter, that should be the thing you do after you establish your base and have a food source. Don't waste your time on the basic farms, get the better one instead.
The thing I did was always get a winter base and a summer base. Summer base had the berry bushes and farms and sorts, stuff that doesn't do well in winter. My summerbase had the most weapons, like boomerangs to get bunnies (do not waste boomerangs on birds if you are hungry, they will give you feathers or morsels).

Also, ALWAYS (ALWAAAAYS) have a stone fire next to your closest touch stone and a chest with a heat rock in it and something to light the fire. No one wants to die again in the cold after just surviving.
Pickaxe the ice you see, ice stays forever in the fridge. Do not attack the pingu's. You will get rekt.

Taking on spiders, In early stages is good for silk, but leave a few around. Then always wait until it's tear 3 and then put 10 traps around it, draw them out and repeat untill its empty and you can kill the nest and replant them closer to you. When you're a bit further hammer down all pighouses you see and rebuild them around your new spiders, they will kill them for you. (They do eat the meat, but free silk and glands forever). Be sure to kill it after it grows to a tear 3 again. No one wants a queen.

I always played with Willow, she's the easiest imo for sanity. (To go from very low for nightmare fuel farming and to very high again by burning something.) I always had a special burning ring with normal trees for her.
What else.. Don't dig up the shrooms, they're good filler in crock pots and don't regrow in the world. If you happen to run into a tree guard, plant a few trees close to him (as close as you can get) He will calm himself.
And try Don't Starve Together! Great fun.

i hate Willow, i honestly think of her as the WORST character, due to her one ability, "lights a fire when nervous". She is not as bad in DST, where instead on burning things when nervous, she loses heat, but, she is still a crappy character, in my book.
cmitc1
Arsonist
Arsonist

Postby Alzar » Mon Mar 21, 2016 8:20 pm

genericnpc wrote: Spoiler: got to love when you have 4 players and cant survive past day 7 :)

This might sound like a stupid question, but did you remember to increase resources to make it enough for a 4 player world? I know a couple of friends who kept starving to death because they were all fighting over the food and resources meant for a single player world.
Alzar
FM Logo Winner
FM Logo Winner

Next

Return to Off-Topic Discussions