Dealing with enemy-aligned Guardian Angels (as Mafia/Coven)

Discuss the newest strategies involving the game in a professional manner and spread your knowledge

Dealing with enemy-aligned Guardian Angels (as Mafia/Coven)

Postby ScarfVendetta » Mon Dec 02, 2019 11:34 am

This might sound like common sense, but I've been in too many games in Coven AllAny where Mafia/Coven get outvoted when playing against a Town that has been blessed with a Guardian Angel on their side.

If you know that the enemy faction has a Guardian Angel, then they've already used up 1 of their 2 protections. Guardian Angels don't usually protect on consecutive nights, so attacking their target the next night should be fairly safe (unless they're a high priority townie who will have additional Town Protectives on them). The Guardian Angel happened to use their 2nd protection early? No biggie: you know they have 0 protections left and it will be a safe kill the next night for sure. If the Guardian Angel's target is a role with Basic Defense, not a problem. You can still call them out in your death note and get them lynched.

The Guardian Angel now becomes a Survivor without any bulletproof vests. If you don't communicate with them, they're most likely going vote on the side of their former target, or possibly switch allegiance to a Neutral Killing/Pestilence if it's late in the game. But as long as you have at least 2 faction members, all you have to do is whisper them the ultimatum: "vote with your faction, or you'll kill them at night". Ideally wait until you and the Survivor combined would form a majority. They have no way to defend themselves at night, so their only other option would be to call upon a Town Protective or a roleblocking role to try and stop the nightkill. If any of those roles are present, make sure to eliminate them before you give your threat to the Survivor. The reason this strategy is ineffective for solo killing roles is that they can simply call you out and get you lynched before you're able to follow through on your threat, and you can expect them to try and do this if they can. They won't take too kindly to your attempt to blackmail them unless you have the numbers to back it up.

It's simple, but effective. For just one nightkill, you've gotten rid of 2 votes against you, and gained 1 vote for your faction. This should help speed up the time it takes for your team to gain a majority. If the strategy sounds a bit mean, remember that you're an EVIL role. Sneaky strategies like this are totally okay. As long as they do your bidding, they'll still get their win. :D
Just some Sheriff who didn't claim until Day 5, and has no leads whatsoever

No need to be alarmed...
ScarfVendetta
Summer 2020 Winner
Summer 2020 Winner

Re: Dealing with enemy-aligned Guardian Angels (as Mafia/Cov

Postby fwogcarf » Wed Dec 04, 2019 9:56 am

isn't it just easier to kill the TPs first
Spoiler: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1M79vYZu-WIKrW0WQ0pCISBq66DeBfSir5T7RCuy0OWY/edit?usp=sharing
We are creators of our own future

We are supporters of forces against despair

We defend against the evils of the world

We are guardians, we are strong
fwogcarf
Retributionist
Retributionist

Postby ScarfVendetta » Wed Dec 04, 2019 2:02 pm

fwogcarf wrote:isn't it just easier to kill the TPs first

ScarfVendetta wrote:They have no way to defend themselves at night, so their only other option would be to call upon a Town Protective or a roleblocking role to try and stop the nightkill. If any of those roles are present, make sure to eliminate them before you give your threat to the Survivor.

Yep - I did mention it. Town Protectives are a roadblock for this strategy, not just because they can prevent the nightkill against the Guardian Angel's target, but as they could in theory offer their protection to them once they become Survivor, rendering the ultimatum redundant.Take them out first, either at night or by mislynch.

No need to be alarmed...
ScarfVendetta
Summer 2020 Winner
Summer 2020 Winner

Postby kyuss420 » Sun Dec 08, 2019 1:29 am

Problem is, killing a GA is a waste of a night. A TP has no allegiance to a nuetral, so protecting a nuetral is also a waste of a night, as only a noob maf/coven would be targeting them anyway. Altho i have been known to spite kill a GA turned surv when their vote cost my faction the game.

The bigger problem I see in games are town refusing to lynch/kill an evil faction sided GA, giving the evil faction majority votes.
goosegoosegoosegoosegoose
Spoiler: Image Spoiler: Image Spoiler: Image Spoiler: Image Spoiler: Image
kyuss420
Serial Killer
Serial Killer

Postby ScarfVendetta » Tue Dec 10, 2019 7:13 am

kyuss420 wrote:Problem is, killing a GA is a waste of a night.

Exactly. That's why it's best to kill the target, not the Guardian Angel. If you time the kill right, you can force the newly-turned Survivor to vote with your faction, getting rid of 2 enemy votes and gaining 1 vote for your faction.

kyuss420 wrote:A TP has no allegiance to a nuetral, so protecting a nuetral is also a waste of a night.

In general this is true, although I was referring for lategame Survivors (formerly Guardian Angels) who might try to side with town in an equal-numbers scenario.

Hypothetical:

e.g. Town Protective, Filler Townie, Survivor, Mafioso, Filler Mafia. Everybody is confirmed, the Mafia are known. The Mafia threaten to kill the Survivor if they don't side with the Mafia (the strategy mentioned in my post). The Survivor would probably be a bit peeved about the threat, so they could instead ask the Doctor to protect them if they vote alongside the Town. This renders the Mafia's threat pretty redundant, as they would only have time to kill the Doctor before their entire faction would be lynched.

Sure, this might sound like a specific scenario, but it highlighted a weakness in the strategy that I thought I should cover. Town Protectives should be killed off as early as possible.

No need to be alarmed...
ScarfVendetta
Summer 2020 Winner
Summer 2020 Winner

Postby kyuss420 » Wed Dec 11, 2019 4:45 am

well, in that scenario I would just kill the survivor without saying anything to them (if they voted against maf). Clearly you would of already lost, and the blame could be pointed at the survivor voting with town, but as nuetral, they shouldnt be voting at all, (exception being an arsonist or hex master being alive) as soon as they vote, theyre no longer nuetral and have chosen a side. If they cant figure out that voting with town will likely cost them the game, then they deserve the loss :P

Then you get players like me, who consider a survivor win, as a GA loss, and will side with whoever I like, and being threatened will more than likely persuade me to vote you up, instead of the other faction. And now there are no stats/leaderboards, theres really no incentive to give a fuck whether or not I get that +1 GA win to my record anyway :/
kyuss420
Serial Killer
Serial Killer

Postby Joacgroso » Wed Dec 11, 2019 8:23 am

Isn't not voting at all actually aligning with evils?
Joacgroso wrote:I feel like I went from Light Yagami to Keiichi Maebara.

I still hope one day the game will have private lobbies. They would really help.
Also, please nerf vampire hunters.
Joacgroso
Werewolf
Werewolf

Postby Cihao » Thu Aug 19, 2021 11:49 pm

Most likely the ga gonna spam in the end game

Also ahem ahem,vest
Cihao

Postby kyuss420 » Sat Aug 21, 2021 4:15 am

Cihao wrote:Most likely the ga gonna spam in the end game

Also ahem ahem,vest

nice necro bump with absolutely no substance.... firstly when GA turns survivor they get 0 vests. Secondly the way most townie biased playstyle noobs play GA is claim day 1, state your target and protect them n1.... or whisper your target day 1, then protect n1 to confirm you as GA. Thinking that evils/townies will never target you as a confirmed nuetral.

Problem with that is, it wastes a protection, and players like me exist, who scroll vigi and dont think twice about blasting a confirmed GA, so that votes dont stall (and I have been flamed in games when shooting the GA won the game, as it broke a tied vote).

Besides, the best way to win as GA, is to save your protects until n3 at least (definately n3 if theres a psy) and claim TP. Claiming TP is likely to get you protected by a real TP, and town will listen to a TP so you can sway votes away from your target, especially during VFR. By not claiming GA you also have the opportunity to be lynched in place of your target or killed in place of your target, which can be handy if you have 2 protects left, as you cant be RBed in the graveyard.
kyuss420
Serial Killer
Serial Killer

Return to Strategic Discussion