Bodysnatcher and Puppet (Coven Evil)

Suggest new roles or changes to current roles for the game here.

Bodysnatcher and Puppet (Coven Evil)

Postby weknowyoulive » Sun Aug 01, 2021 8:04 am

Role Name:
Bodysnatcher

Role Alignment:
Coven Evil

Abilities:
* You may Basic attack a player at night.
* If a player is killed by your attack, they become a Puppet.

Attributes:
* The Puppet player does not appear to be dead to anyone else.
* You can press a button to switch control of voting and speaking between you and your Puppet.
* You may not attack while you have a Puppet.
* If the Puppet dies, you may attack again.
* If you die, your active Puppet will die, as well.
* With the Necronomicon, you gain the ability to use your Puppet as a shield, providing you Basic defense but killing the Puppet in the process if you are attacked.

Goal:
Kill all who would oppose the Coven.

Win Conditions:
You win with Coven and Survivors.
You must kill Mafia, Vampires, Town, Serial Killers, Arsonists, Werewolf, Plaguebearer/Pestilence and Juggernaut.
You may spare anyone else.

Investigator Results:
Sheriff - Your target is suspicious! ("You cannot find evidence of wrongdoing. Your target seems innocent." with Necronomicon)
Investigator - Your target could be a Framer, Vampire, Jester, Hex Master or Bodysnatcher.
Consigliere - Your target exhumes and stuffs corpses. They must be the Bodysnatcher.

Flavor Text:
You are a puppeteer who stuffs and communicates through corpses.

Additional Information:
The concept here is to legitimise multi-accounting into a role, like Jester did with gamethrowing in SC2 Mafia.
The Puppet, to render it detectable by investigative roles, is a role of its own (albeit without abilities or original player input, unlike a converted Vampire)
Its details are below:

Role Name:
Puppet

Role Alignment:
Coven Evil

Abilities:
* You may switch control between yourself and your Bodysnatcher with a button.

Attributes:
* If your Bodysnatcher dies, you die too.
* With the Necronomicon, you may sacrifice yourself to protect the Bodysnatcher.

Goal:
Kill all who would oppose the Coven.

Win Conditions:
You win with Coven and Survivors.
You must kill Mafia, Vampires, Town, Serial Killers, Arsonists, Werewolf, Plaguebearer/Pestilence and Juggernaut.
You may spare anyone else.

Investigator Results:
Sheriff - You cannot find evidence of wrongdoing. Your target seems innocent.
Investigator - Your target could be a Survivor, Amnesiac, Vampire Hunter, Medusa, Psychic or Puppet.
Consigliere - Your target is a taxidermied and possessed corpse. They must be a Puppet.

Flavor Text (unused, since like Pestilence, Puppet only exists as an extension of another role):
You are a puppeteer who stuffs and communicates through corpses.

Additional Information:
If there is a living Puppet at the end of the game, the player who the living Puppet has been made from will win alongside the Coven, despite having lost control. Dead Puppets simply lose, regardless of Coven victory.
In my town there is problem,
And that problem is transporter
He take your life away
Because he's an idiot
And that problem is the surv.
They douse people's houses
And we never notice it
Throw the surv down the well,
So my town can be free (So my town can be free!)
You must grab him by his vest,
Then we have a big party.
weknowyoulive
Amnesiac
Amnesiac

Location: Wales, United Kingdom, Earth, Milky Way, Observable Universe

Re: Bodysnatcher and Puppet (Coven Evil)

Postby syjfwbaobfwl » Sun Aug 01, 2021 8:24 am

I am still against roles that control voting, they cannot mess up if they are scum

Just imagine a TK that can only kill evils (VH doesnt counts)
syjfwbaobfwl
Jailor
Jailor

Postby weknowyoulive » Sun Aug 01, 2021 8:25 am

Maybe remove the voting feature from the Puppet if it's too powerful, then.
He take your life away
Because he's an idiot
And we never notice it
weknowyoulive
Amnesiac
Amnesiac

Postby Cabohhh » Sun Aug 01, 2021 2:29 pm

I don't like this.

This, much like vampire, gives incentive to another player to gamethrow. Because they can win if they submit to the Coven, players will forgo their objective, and just give into the Coven and do whatever, even if it's detrimental to them.

As for the actual puppeting feature, no. It's a cool feature and all, but the entire game is centered around communication, meaning that if you, for example, kill a revealed Mayor, you can use them to confirm yourself and your other teammates. You can also gain majority a day earlier, which is awful because Coven is so Kill-centered that it's going to kill much easier, and in turn, gain majority quicker.

Roles should not have the ability to control votes or influence other's speaking unless they are done extremely well and are balanced very well.

/nosupport
The Coroner
The Mystic
The Hitman
The Hierophant

Grey's Anatomy, Season 5, Episode 6, 3:17
Cabohhh
Amnesiac
Amnesiac

Postby runningwiththepower » Sun Aug 01, 2021 3:53 pm

I somewhat agree with everyone else in the manner of this being overpowered. It would need a massive nerf to make it work.
How about something like this?:

Ex. Arianna Grande is Bodysnatcher. N1, she attacks Hannah Montana (Psychic). Hannah Montana dies.....BUT Hannah Montana appears alive the next day; she has been bodysnatched! Arianna Grande can't control what Hannah Montana votes / says; instead Hannah Montana just appears alive but silent. If lynched, Hannah Montana will be revealed to have been bodysnatched! Arianna Grande can choose to keep Hannah Montana as her bodysnatched puppet or she can 'Release' her, allowing Hannah Montana's mortal body to finally die. Bodysnatcher has 3 uses and requires a day to Release. So N2, Arianna Grande keeps Hannah Montana alive. N3, Arianna Grande 'Releases' Hannah Montana. N4, the Release is processed. N5, now Arianna Grande can choose a new victim to Bodysnatch.

or alternatively, it takes a day to 'charge' up the bodysnatch so Arianna Grande can only bodysnatch on N2 but doesn't have to wait a day to Release. That could work too, I think.
runningwiththepower

Postby weknowyoulive » Mon Aug 02, 2021 7:05 am

Thanks for the feedback. I think I'll remove the Puppet's victory, and maybe the votig.
He take your life away
Because he's an idiot
And we never notice it
weknowyoulive
Amnesiac
Amnesiac

Postby Obituary » Mon Aug 02, 2021 7:21 am

Troll role lol
Obituary

Postby runningwiththepower » Mon Aug 02, 2021 9:11 am

Obituary wrote:Troll role lol

How so ?
runningwiththepower

Postby MorganTheMod » Mon Aug 02, 2021 7:37 pm

May I ask why you keep the puppet "alive"?
I suppose i am not clear on the switching control portion.
while the bodysnatcher is controlling a puppet, does the puppet gain control of the bodysnatchers chat?
this has the possibility to work but only if puppets were willing to work with the coven. if someone is still loyal to the town or their mafia then they could ruin the coven.
this also brings back the OLD disguiser chat issues but i honestly think there is a way to get around that in the reporting system.
can they have multiple puppets and are puppets a part of the coven once converted (meaning they know it's members and chat)?
can the puppet still talk?

if you were to kill the person and control the puppet,
Spoiler: you should have to a) choose which body you will be controlling (talking) through, and b) make it so both characters have to vote together. make it a random number between 2-8 second delay between the voting. the body snatcher can only talk through one body during a given day, which they have to pick at night among themselves or available puppets, but they get all of the votes.
this would mean that puppets do not win with the coven, and have no incentive to gamethrow the town.

possible nerf: if a puppet is lynched, the bodysnatcher also dies? as the body snatcher gains more control, there is more ways to kill them. the body snatcher can of course choose to release (kill the body of) a puppet as a nighttime action, if they think that the puppet is suspicious to the town, and at risk for being lynched. in a way, the body snatcher is linked to their puppets, similar to hoe the puppets can take a hit for the bodysnatcher.

OR only allow the body snatcher one vote no matter how many or what puppets they have. Spoiler: the bodysnatcher will vote (either from control of their own body or a puppet) and the vote will show from their actual character. the puppets will show as not having voted / abstaining. the puppet will not receive a vote since they literally died and this way there isn't a two way vote swing town -1/coven +1 just a town -1. someone who hasn't voted in a while will be sus of being a puppet.
suggested mechanics
Spoiler: i would say it takes a night to kill and make a puppet obviously, and each night you can choose which puppet you want to talk as the next morning(other option is a toggle feature during day to choose which character you are talking as, but seems kinda op, as you can really weave an intricate web there), and each night you can choose to take a night to release a puppet(killing their body and unlinking them from you). i would even say that you can create more than 1 puppet if you decide, but only if you utilize the puppet linking, (if a puppet dies you die, but if you are attacked you can still expend a puppet (or all puppets) to protect you) as you gain more puppets and more influence on the town, there is a higher chance you will be found and killed.

these are just some possible idea routes, i think its a good concept, just has weird mechanics at the moment, and i would love to see this in testing once balanced
i actually considered adding a similar control mechanism into the Sandman but decided to hold back
Im usually named Yippie if you ever want to greet me in game
I have some role ideas floating around if you wanna check them out ;)(and more to come!)
MorganTheMod
Amnesiac
Amnesiac

Return to Role Ideas