Terrible Neutral Chaos - Legion.

Suggest new roles or changes to current roles for the game here.

Terrible Neutral Chaos - Legion.

Postby SilverCruz » Fri Apr 16, 2021 12:40 am

Note this should be mentally paired with the proposal to move Pirate and Plaguebearer into a "Neutral Malignant" bracket, so that this and Vampire are the only Neutral Chaos roles, since this would be a minor effort to give Chaos the identity of "roles that can change the win condition of other roles". And of course, I say this is terrible, but I think much the same of Vampires.

Basic Defense
No Attack (Basic against Vampires)
Investigation Result - Framer/Vampire/Legion/Jester

- At night, visit a target. If your visit is successful and that target is a member of the Town, they will become apart of the Legion, retaining their original abilities (Legion-aligned Jailors cannot execute other members of the Legion but will not lose their executions for executing a member of the town, and Legion-aligned Vigilantes cannot target other members of the Legion and will not die from guilt after killing a member of the town). Members of the Legion faction have access to their own Night Chat, and as with Vampires the Legion can only convert a target every other night.

- If your target is a member of the Mafia or Neutral Killing, you must visit them twice (the visits may be non-consecutive, and the first visit does not prevent you from performing a conversion the following night) in order to add them to the Legion. You will be informed that you visited a member of the Mafia or Neutral Killing after the first visit, with your target receiving no feedback, and the rest of the Mafia is not informed if one of their numbers has joined the Legion. Mafia roles that joined the Legion cannot be apart of the Mafia and Legion Night Chat simultaneously, and must choose which one they will attend during the day (defaulting to Mafia chat). If an Arsonist joins the Legion and any members of the Legion are presently doused, they may choose to visit that member of the Legion to undouse them, and a Mafioso who has joined the Legion will ignore the Godfather's orders (causing the Godfather to attack directly) if they decide to attack on behalf of the Legion or the Godfather orders an attack on another member of the Legion. Two Mafia kills in one night is a sure way to tip the Mafia off that the Legion got their Mafioso, so be careful about that, and likewise the Mafioso will ignore the orders of a Godfather who has joined the Legion if that Godfather decides to attack another member of the Mafia.

- Neutral Evil and Pirates cannot join the Legion, but also cannot be killed by the Legion itself. Visiting one will give you the message "Your target is single-minded in their goal and cannot be swayed even by you.". Executioners will not become a Jester as a result of their target joining the Legion.

- There may be no more than four living members of the Legion at any one time. At night, the Legion may target another member of its faction independently of choosing a cross-aligned target to visit. If the target selected by the Legion also self-targets, they will commit suicide. The Legion may convert a target the same night that this happens even if there were four members of the Legion at the time so long as they're not on cooldown anyway (Example - Legion converts a Framer, and neither are enthusiastic about the situation, but that makes four people. Two nights later, the Legion targets the Framer while also targeting John Hathorne the Vigilante for a visit, and the Framer self-targets. The Framer commits suicide, and the Legion can convert John Hathorne the same night with no delay). A Mafia-turned-Legion will receive the notification that the Legion has requested their death even if they chose to attend the Mafia chat that night, and likewise will still see the Mafia's targets even if they chose to attend the Legion chat. The message stated during the day for this occurrence is "submitted to the voice of Legion".

- If the Legion dies, then any remaining members of the faction will have to win on their own. Dead members of the Legion will still win with the Legion, rather than their original faction. If a member of the Legion dies, their role's normal color will be replaced the color of the Legion's faction.

- All members of the Legion, regardless of their role, return the result of Framer/Vampire/Legion/Jester when visited by an Investigator, though being doused will take priority over this.

- The Legion will kill Vampires it attempts to convert (the message given at day is "could not withstand the voice of Legion"), while Vampires can bite and convert or kill members of the Legion who are normally vulnerable to them. If this occurs then the affected target will win with Vampires instead of the Legion, and the Legion itself will be told "A voice of the Legion has become lost to tainted blood." at the start of the next day. The affected member will not be pointed out by name (like with the Mafia, they must choose at day whether they will join the Vampire Night Chat or Legion Night Chat, this time defaulting to Legion), and if the Legion targets them without selecting a cross-aligned target, they will die. The Legion may also convert a replacement while they are alive, even if there are four members including them, and while the Vampire is alive the Legion will not be able to see if another member of the Legion self-targets (to prevent them from just demanding everyone self-target and cancel to flush out the Vampire instantly). Note that the Legion must target a Vampire to kill them. If a Vampire targets the Legion, then that Vampire will not die.

Got a little long-winded and I know it sucks, but hey. Vampires suck too.
I know what I'm doing, generally, but I have no grace at all when things start to spin out of control.

I'd like to address the latter part, but I wouldn't know the first thing about that.
SilverCruz
Sheriff
Sheriff

Re: Terrible Neutral Chaos - Legion.

Postby MarsGodofWar » Fri Apr 16, 2021 6:43 am

A Legion refers to a vast amount of people, creatures or things usually in the thousands. So this role starts off on their own and is called Legion??? What??? I'm confused. You can belong to a Legion but no one within a Legion is called "Legion". With Vampires its different, you can be apart of the Vampires and you are also a Vampire. But just because you are apart of a Legion does not make you a "Legion"

The game doesn't need any more conversion roles. Sure in the late future the Vampire faction can always be expanded, but there isn't any need for 2 factions that do exactly the same thing, convert

This role just seems like an overpowered version of the Vampires. Not only can they convert town members, but those town members retain their original abilities and this role can somehow convert Mafia, but for some reason needs 2 nights to do so.

Also, Vampires are a faction on their own and should just be classified in the "Vampire" faction, not Neutral Chaos. There may only be one role but they are still technically a faction. Neutral Chaos just seems like a junkyard for roles for which they can't determine a proper alignment for. Plaguebearer should be apart of Neutral Killing. Pirate is a role that can usually safe claim and never gets lynched, especially in VIP mode. The role does not belong in a Chaos alignment. Why is a pirate considered Chaos anyway?
MarsGodofWar
Witch
Witch

Postby syjfwbaobfwl » Fri Apr 16, 2021 7:14 am

no more conversion roles, this is even more unbalanced than vampires, and converting mafia/coven members is terrible because they would both know about the conversion
syjfwbaobfwl
Jailor
Jailor

Postby SilverCruz » Fri Apr 16, 2021 2:38 pm

MarsGodofWar wrote:A Legion refers to a vast amount of people, creatures or things usually in the thousands. So this role starts off on their own and is called Legion??? What??? I'm confused. You can belong to a Legion but no one within a Legion is called "Legion". With Vampires its different, you can be apart of the Vampires and you are also a Vampire. But just because you are apart of a Legion does not make you a "Legion"

The game doesn't need any more conversion roles. Sure in the late future the Vampire faction can always be expanded, but there isn't any need for 2 factions that do exactly the same thing, convert

This role just seems like an overpowered version of the Vampires. Not only can they convert town members, but those town members retain their original abilities and this role can somehow convert Mafia, but for some reason needs 2 nights to do so.

Also, Vampires are a faction on their own and should just be classified in the "Vampire" faction, not Neutral Chaos. There may only be one role but they are still technically a faction. Neutral Chaos just seems like a junkyard for roles for which they can't determine a proper alignment for. Plaguebearer should be apart of Neutral Killing. Pirate is a role that can usually safe claim and never gets lynched, especially in VIP mode. The role does not belong in a Chaos alignment. Why is a pirate considered Chaos anyway?

Wow, seems like Vampires were maybe a garbage idea from the outset and no role should change other roles' win condition, huh? The name "Legion", in this case, is a loose Biblical reference that I don't guarantee that I even have right, the insinuation that the core Legion already has plenty of voices knocking around in their head. And you described it perfectly, Neutral Chaos is a junkyard, and Pirate is considered Chaos because it kills people so it can't be Benign, does so directly so it can't be Evil, but doesn't do so more than twice so it can't be Killing, therefore it's Chaos because that's the only Neutral bracket left. I assume Plaguebearer is Chaos solely to keep it out of Coven Ranked, and in turn that's solely because it can't be executed by the Almighty Wesley Jailor once it rolls over into Pestilence.

syjfwbaobfwl wrote:no more conversion roles, this is even more unbalanced than vampires, and converting mafia/coven members is terrible because they would both know about the conversion

I was thinking that it's pretty opaque to the non converted. Janitor gets woolooloo'd, the rest of the Mafia gets no feedback that they got woolooloo'd, they have to work it out for themselves.
I know what I'm doing, generally, but I have no grace at all when things start to spin out of control.

I'd like to address the latter part, but I wouldn't know the first thing about that.
SilverCruz
Sheriff
Sheriff

Return to Role Ideas