Gossiper (Town Support)

Suggest new roles or changes to current roles for the game here.

Gossiper (Town Support)

Postby alex1234321 » Tue Feb 23, 2021 12:12 pm

Note: This role could function as a Mayor rework, but I don't think anyone would want Mayor to be nerfed this much so I decided to make it a new role.

Role Name:
Gossiper

Role Alignment:
Town Support

Abilities:
Spread a rumor about one player each night, allowing them to be lynched with a tie vote

Attributes:
You only affect guilty/innocent votes, not the votes needed for a trial
Rumors last for the rest of the game
You may only target each player once per game
Your rumors no longer exist if you die

Goal:
Lynch every criminal and evildoer.

Win Conditions:
Same as other Town members.

Additional Information:
I considered allowing it to increase the vote differential needed to lynch someone, but this would allow it to self-confirm by saying something like "Players 1-8 guilty everyone else inno." With the current role, it is still possible to self-confirm, but this would require someone to die. The Gossiper could wait a night to spread a rumor about someone who is confirmed scum, but a Townie would usually die that night. The only way to easily self-confirm would be if a rumored player is about to be lynched, which should be relatively rare.
#SaveTheTG

Tired of trying to play discord Mafia games and not getting enough people? Join Town of Morons! We now have our own bot!

Credit to PurpleSidewalk1
alex1234321
Role Ideas Moderator
Role Ideas Moderator

Re: Gossiper (Town Support)

Postby syjfwbaobfwl » Tue Feb 23, 2021 12:27 pm

Imo its too up, if its a 3v3 in mafia vs town then this role doesnt works

If its a 4 town vs 3 mafia then this role isnt really needed, the only thing this role could change is in case someone is afk and abstains, which imo isnt enough to make a new role
syjfwbaobfwl
Jailor
Jailor

Postby alex1234321 » Tue Feb 23, 2021 12:36 pm

syjfwbaobfwl wrote:Imo its too up, if its a 3v3 in mafia vs town then this role doesnt works

If its a 4 town vs 3 mafia then this role isnt really needed, the only thing this role could change is in case someone is afk and abstains, which imo isnt enough to make a new role

I was trying to reduce the confirmability as much as possible. The best buff idea imo would be to allow it to target someone multiple times in a game. Also keeping the rumors after the player dies could work but I'm not sure whether that is too much influence for a dead player. The other buff that I thought of was to allow it to increase the votes needed as well, but that would increase confirmability as I mentioned in the OP?

What do you think of these buffs? Do you have any other ideas?
#SaveTheTG

Tired of trying to play discord Mafia games and not getting enough people? Join Town of Morons! We now have our own bot!

alex1234321
Role Ideas Moderator
Role Ideas Moderator

Postby OreCreeper » Tue Feb 23, 2021 2:25 pm

What's the point of this role, except to maybe force a lynch if scum messes up and votes up their own when they have majority? Like actually what use does this role have for town. If town wants to lynch someone, they can just vote guilty on them.
OreCreeper
Vigilante
Vigilante

Postby alex1234321 » Tue Feb 23, 2021 2:36 pm

OreCreeper wrote:What's the point of this role, except to maybe force a lynch if scum messes up and votes up their own when they have majority? Like actually what use does this role have for town. If town wants to lynch someone, they can just vote guilty on them.

The point of this role is to be like Mayor but with less confirmability and no broken mechanics. But now that I think about it it can't do anything if nobody is on the stand, and I'm not sure whether it's possible to manipulate votes to put someone on trial without making it overly confirmable.
#SaveTheTG

alex1234321
Role Ideas Moderator
Role Ideas Moderator

Postby OreCreeper » Tue Feb 23, 2021 3:55 pm

alex1234321 wrote:
OreCreeper wrote:What's the point of this role, except to maybe force a lynch if scum messes up and votes up their own when they have majority? Like actually what use does this role have for town. If town wants to lynch someone, they can just vote guilty on them.

The point of this role is to be like Mayor but with less confirmability and no broken mechanics. But now that I think about it it can't do anything if nobody is on the stand, and I'm not sure whether it's possible to manipulate votes to put someone on trial without making it overly confirmable.

Well it requires someone to be put on stand, it has very little impact on the votes in the end, and it still is pretty confirmable.
OreCreeper
Vigilante
Vigilante

Postby alex1234321 » Tue Feb 23, 2021 8:27 pm

OreCreeper wrote:
alex1234321 wrote:

Well it requires someone to be put on stand, it has very little impact on the votes in the end, and it still is pretty confirmable.

When I made this role I didn't really consider that it can't manipulate who can be on the stand, but it almost certainly needs this ability to have any measurable use. Making an anonymous vote or changing the total would make it extremely confirmable. Same with controlling other people's votes.

This is a crazy idea, but maybe I can let it control someone's vote the next day as a night ability, but only allow it to work on scum and have the Gossiper commit suicide if it targets Town. It would involve the potential to confirm someone's alignment or result in someone dying, but given the risk it would probably only be used in the endgame. Do you have any better ideas?
#SaveTheTG

alex1234321
Role Ideas Moderator
Role Ideas Moderator

Postby syjfwbaobfwl » Tue Feb 23, 2021 8:59 pm

Imo roles altering votes is something that shouldnt be allowed because its like bmer silencing people, its a core mechanic and shouldnt be altered

GA is fine because it can only spawn on chaos modes

And mayor should be removed from ranked and the problem would be fixed
syjfwbaobfwl
Jailor
Jailor

Postby alex1234321 » Thu Feb 25, 2021 10:06 pm

What if I allowed it to target someone at night, and if they player is put on the stand they are automatically lynched? I think it would be more useful as an early-game dayvig than anything else and could work as a Mayor nerf. Also someone would have to die for it to be confirmable.
#SaveTheTG

alex1234321
Role Ideas Moderator
Role Ideas Moderator

Postby syjfwbaobfwl » Thu Feb 25, 2021 10:54 pm

alex1234321 wrote:What if I allowed it to target someone at night, and if they player is put on the stand they are automatically lynched? I think it would be more useful as an early-game dayvig than anything else and could work as a Mayor nerf. Also someone would have to die for it to be confirmable.

Still a no from me for 2 reasons

1: its another role that manipulates voting, which is a core mechanic and shouldnt be distrupted (same with chatting)
Mayor shouldnt be in ranked for this reason (same with bmer); and I dont want a new role that is left only in chaotic modes

2: It gives to much power to a single person, im not saying itd OP, I am saying that a single person causing someone to be guiltied its too much (with mayor people can at least outvote them)
syjfwbaobfwl
Jailor
Jailor

Return to Role Ideas