Role Idea - Huntsman Neutral Chaos

Suggest new roles or changes to current roles for the game here.

Role Idea - Huntsman Neutral Chaos

Postby Cavespider17 » Mon Nov 16, 2020 9:53 pm

Role Name:
Huntsman (#521421)

Role Alignment:
Neutral Chaos

Role Summary:
You are a twisted hunter whose bloodlust has led you to hunt a human.

Abilities:
- Choose your prey during the day, then camp outside someone's house at night.

Attributes:
- You may camp outside your house.
- You will kill your prey if they visit your target.
- If you are attacked, you will attack your attacker and stay home.
- If you protect someone twice, you will die.

Attack and Defense Status:
- You have a powerful attack.
- You have a basic defense (none after killing an attacker).

Notifications:
For the Huntsman:
Spoiler: - You have decided to camp outside [player]’s house tonight.
- You have changed your mind.
- You have decided to camp outside [player]’s house instead.
- Someone attacked the person you visited last night. Instinctively you shot them!
- You were attacked last night. You stayed at home and you fired back at your attacker, killing them.
- Someone tried to control you last night, but you are immune!

For the player who is shot (Classic):
Spoiler: Prey:
- You were hunted by a Huntsman!

Godfather:
- You were shot by a Huntsman!

Mafioso:

Serial Killer:

Werewolf:
- You were shot by a Huntsman that you mauled!

Vampire Hunter:

Vigilante:

For the player who is shot (Coven):
Spoiler: Coven Leader (Once they have the Necronomicon):

Medusa:

Potion Master:

Poisoner:

Juggernaut:
- You were shot by that fool of a Huntsman!

Pestilence:
- A Huntsman tried to shoot you last night, but you obliterated them!

Crusader:

Players visiting the same target as the Huntsman:
Spoiler: - You saw a Huntsman's scope shine in the bushes!

Players being attacked, while visited by the Huntsman:
Spoiler: - You were attacked last night, but a Huntsman shot your attacker!
- [Player Huntsman] is the Huntsman and has lost their defense. (If basic defense remains)
- [Player Huntsman] is the Huntsman and has died of their wounds. (If basic defense is gone)

Players attacking the Huntsman:
Spoiler: - Your target's defense was too strong. You were shot at by the Huntsman you attacked.

Death sequences:
Players killed by the Huntsman:
- He was shot by a Huntsman.
- She was shot by a Huntsman.
- They were shot by a Huntsman.

Huntsman dying of their wounds:
- He died protecting someone.
- She died protecting someone.
- They died protecting someone.

Note: All deaths here are attributed to "Huntsman".

Goal:
- To shoot one prey dead while they are visiting someone.

Win Conditions:
Must kill:
- One prey
- You may spare anyone else.

Special Attributes:
- You are a Unique Role.
- Defense - A Huntsman has a basic defense, however, killing a visiting attacker removes their defense entirely!
- If a Huntsman, Lookout, Ambusher or Medusa visits your target, you will shoot them rather than your prey. You may only shoot one of these per camp.
- The Huntsman can kill an attacker and their prey at the same time.
- The Huntsman cannot be controlled by a Witch or Coven Leader
Investigative Results:
- Sheriff - Your target is innocent .
- Investigator - Your target could be a Vigilante, Veteran, Mafioso, Pirate, Ambusher, or Huntsman.
- Consigliere - Your target is twisted and filled with bloodlust. They must be a Huntsman.
- Witch - Your target is twisted and filled with bloodlust. They must be a Huntsman.
- Coven Leader - Your target is twisted and filled with bloodlust. They must be a Huntsman.

Achievements:
- Afoot - Win 1 game as Huntsman.
- Gun Goes Boom - Win 5 games as Huntsman.
- Cleaned Barrell - Win 10 games as Huntsman.
- Amuse Me - Win 25 games as Huntsman.
- Perfection is my middle name – Kill your prey with your first visit.
- Oh Crumbs - Shoot yourself.
- Who's the Bodyguard now? - Save the person you visited from an attack.
- The Big Cheese - Kill the Godfather, who visited the player you visited.
- Hot Shot – Kill an Arsonist
- I Am Going to Need A Bigger Gun – Kill and be killed by a Werewolf visiting the same person you do.
- Brought a Gun to a Knife Fight – Kill a Serial Killer.
- Ace of Spades – Kill a Juggernaut.
- It’s a Witch Hunt! – Kill a Witch or Coven Leader.
- Demented - Kill three people in one game.
- Only one – Kill an Ambusher, Lookout Huntsman or Medusa while camping.

Additional Information:
- If in the RARE situation that the Huntsman has to prioritize killing visitors the order is as follows: Ambusher, Medusa, Huntsman, Lookout, Prey, then any Killing Role.
- You will always be unable to shoot a second time at a given Player's house, assuming the "Only One" clause is active.
- Bodyguards cannot defend against the Huntsman, due to their attacks being indirect. However, a Doctor can heal someone from a Huntsman's attack.
- The Huntsmancan kill themselves (via Transporters). Killing yourself, another Huntsman, a Lookout, an Ambusher or Medusa takes priority over killing your Prey (as there is only room for one...).
- A Huntsman will not be killed by a Trapper's trap.

Example of how a Huntsman can shoot themselves:
Spoiler: Huntsman targets Transporter as Prey.
Transporter Transports themselves with the Lookout.
Huntsman goes on Transporter's target (the Lookout).
The Transporter is attacked but is defended by the Huntsman from the Huntsman who attacked them.
The Huntsman dies to Huntsman.

Lore:
A talented young man from a rich family sits down at his desk, shuffling a pack of cards. Each with a name written on them. A name for each time they had mocked him... the fools. The Godfather, sending his Mafioso to his home, blasting his front room full of bullet holes, not that the Mafioso could stand a chance against his shotgun; the Sheriff with his smart remarks about how he should be sent to the asylum; the nosey Lookout, always spying on people; the Doctor who sneered at him while patching his wounds.

The clock struck midnight, and a little smirk appeared across the young man's face. He slammed the cards face down onto the table, stopping only to straighten the pile before taking the top card and turning it over. Tossing it aside, he turned around, and walked toward the fireplace, taking his shotgun off the wall, and picking up the shells from the top of the mantel. "A single bullet. I only need one to blast them away... but where will he be tonight?" the man mused, waltzing towards the door with a skip in his step.

The door slammed shut, and the card floated down to the floor, showing the name of the town's most renowned Spy on the face of it. The man who had mocked the Huntsman for his attire, and now the Huntsman was going to show them all he wasn't a man to be trifled with.
Last edited by Cavespider17 on Sun Jan 09, 2022 5:17 pm, edited 41 times in total.
Cavespider17
Witch
Witch

Re: Role Idea - Huntsman (Neutral Benign/Neutral Evil)

Postby Notused » Tue Nov 17, 2020 5:32 am

This is just a better Executioner which can kill. Could be made into a Town Killing though which makes it a combo of Vet and Ambusher.
Notused

Postby Cavespider17 » Tue Nov 17, 2020 6:36 am

Notused wrote:This is just a better Executioner which can kill. Could be made into a Town Killing though which makes it a combo of Vet and Ambusher.

I definitely see your point regarding the better Executioner, and I can see how it could be used as a Town Killing as a direct answer to an Ambusher, as well as acting like a Veteran with an additional subgoal of potentially killing another townie in order to win with town. Which, I do agree is an interesting way to observe them as a role and could create chaos for town.

However, I guess two of the biggest things I wanted to address through the huntsman is the confirmation issue surrounding the executioner, as well as the claim space for evils, such as Werewolves, and Mafiosos changing to Godfathers.

Once an Executioner has failed to lynch their target it is obvious they are town. With the Huntsman that wouldn't be possible, since their prey could be from any faction. It could also potentially challenge elements of the Jailor/Mayor meta, since a Huntsman could visit them night 1 in an attempt to get a quick kill, and simply claim to be a Huntsman working with town, and acting as a bodyguard. This "bodyguard" aspect of them would perhaps make town think twice about lynching or executining them, particularly as their goal doesn't necessarily contradict town's goal, due to the fact their prey could indeed be an evil - giving them a true neutral appearance to all factions in the match.

Regarding claim space, at the current time, it feels as if there is little claim space for Werewolves. By them claiming to be a Huntsman they can reduce their lynchability, as their "Prey" may be evil. Due to the Huntsman coming up as suspicious, it would also open up space for evils who come up as suspicious, particularly for Random Mafia, who, for example, to confirm themselves could visit a target, while a Hypnotist sends a message to one of those visitors confirming the Huntsman's scope.

Although, I have considered the idea that the Huntsman may be able to convert into a member of the Mafia, Coven or Town upon successfully shooting their target, I felt that this could potentially be unbalanced.
Cavespider17
Witch
Witch

Postby Cavespider17 » Wed Dec 16, 2020 4:56 pm

Didn't get much response on this. Is there something wrong with this role idea that needs updating/major changes?
Cavespider17
Witch
Witch

Postby cob709 » Wed Dec 16, 2020 8:03 pm

Cavespider17 wrote:Didn't get much response on this. Is there something wrong with this role idea that needs updating/major changes?

It cannot kill non-visiting, astral, or otherwise indirect roles, and thus it cannot win.
Psychic/Medium/Mayor/Jailor/Veteran/Retributionist/Coven(with necronomicon)/GA/Pirate/Amnesiac/Survivor/Jester/Executioner
I SEE ALL
cob709
Mayor
Mayor

Postby Cavespider17 » Wed Dec 16, 2020 8:08 pm

cob709 wrote:
Cavespider17 wrote:Didn't get much response on this. Is there something wrong with this role idea that needs updating/major changes?

It cannot kill non-visiting, astral, or otherwise indirect roles, and thus it cannot win.
Psychic/Medium/Mayor/Jailor/Veteran/Retributionist/Coven(with necronomicon)/GA/Pirate/Amnesiac/Survivor/Jester/Executioner

Yes that is correct. I’ll noted its target cannot be a non-visiting role. :) I’m the event of its prey’s visits becoming Astral, the Huntsman treats it like a physical visit.

Similarly to how exe can’t have a Jailor or mayor as a target, the huntsman is unable to have Astrals as one. Hopefully that could lead to a huntsman finding a Janitor for Example, claiming a non visiting role, while they are their prey.

Unless you mean make a major alteration to the fact non visiting cannot be prey? If so any recommendations? I am happy to edit this as many times as need be to get it correct.
Cavespider17
Witch
Witch

Re: Role Idea - Huntsman Neutral Evil (Tidied/Rewritten)

Postby deadlyblack » Wed Dec 16, 2020 9:05 pm

This reminds me of Ambusher?
Master document of all my role ideas and suggestions: Here
deadlyblack
Executioner
Executioner

Re: Role Idea - Huntsman Neutral Evil (Tidied/Rewritten)

Postby Cavespider17 » Wed Dec 23, 2020 6:05 pm

deadlyblack wrote:This reminds me of Ambusher?

They work similarly, yes. The Huntsman effectively hates the Ambusher, due to the “there is only room for one”. Trying to outsmart an ambusher who is your prey as a huntsman would be interesting to see, since you can effectively trade lives, if you no longer have basic Defense.

Alternatively, a huntsman may call out a mafia prey in exchange to be lynched as a jester. Of course this could backfire heavily on them - alternative issues may include being accused of being an executioner, while claiming huntsman. You can easily dispute this via a spy seeing you in the bushes.
Cavespider17
Witch
Witch

Re: Role Idea - Huntsman Neutral Evil (Prey up for debate)

Postby Blackwolfe99 » Tue Feb 02, 2021 11:49 pm

It's not NE, it would fit better as NC. It doesn't have any abilities that disrupt Town, and it can kill directly, thus NC.

[url=https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1MZk7o65Y-BguXn9lOU9tVijQEPUZ7iYZ?usp=drive_link
]My Role Ideas[/url]
Fair warning, I know many of the ideas in this are pretty shitty/unbalanced, but I have a lot more knowledge of role mechanics and balancing now than I did then.

Currently Working On:
- Nothing in particular, might return to rework old ideas. We'll see.

EvilPudding wrote:Interesting idea and it is balanced like the WW

/support
Blackwolfe99
Witch
Witch

Postby Cavespider17 » Mon Feb 08, 2021 3:59 pm

Blackwolfe99 wrote:It's not NE, it would fit better as NC. It doesn't have any abilities that disrupt Town, and it can kill directly, thus NC.

While I see your point, I disagree - since once its job is done it cannot kill anymore. Also it can cause issues for town since it has a single directive. It's primary function is to disruption - however I will consider reworking parts of the mechanics to fix it and make it fit slightly better into NE. I would rather it be NE than NC, because NC doesn't feel right for a single objective/killing role.
Cavespider17
Witch
Witch

Re: Role Idea - Huntsman Neutral Evil (Poll on Prey Up [8/2/

Postby CapWarrior2 » Mon Feb 08, 2021 4:23 pm

Correct me if I'm wrong, but this role has large kill capabilities. It can shoot Roleblockers, kill the prey when your visiting or if it visits you, Kills attackers on them or their target, has Powerful attack. I feel the killing should be put to a minimum or else it will be more of a Neutral Chaos then an Evil role.
Idea Index:
Click Here

Reworked Idea:
Omen - Neutral(Evil)

Testing Grounds:
Come visit!
CapWarrior2
Doctor
Doctor

Re: Role Idea - Huntsman Neutral Evil (Poll on Prey Up [8/2/

Postby Cavespider17 » Mon Feb 08, 2021 5:20 pm

CapWarrior2 wrote:Correct me if I'm wrong, but this role has large kill capabilities. It can shoot Roleblockers, kill the prey when your visiting or if it visits you, Kills attackers on them or their target, has Powerful attack. I feel the killing should be put to a minimum or else it will be more of a Neutral Chaos then an Evil role.

Upon reading your comment, I have nerfed the Huntsman a little, after discussing it with some others. I have removed the capacity to shoot roleblockers - and instead forced them to just stay home. I have also reworded their basic defence and added the priority list. :) Furthermore, he has been forced to put his gun away once his target is killed - maintaining a one-time defense (with out the killing capacity).

I have also decided to stick to visiting roles only as prey. This way the unpredictability of the Huntsman will add to the gameplay and potentially effect meta. There is always at least 7 visiting role in game (Ranked||Ranked Practice: TI, TI, TP, Mafioso, RM, RM, Witch).
Cavespider17
Witch
Witch

Postby Blackwolfe99 » Wed Feb 10, 2021 11:53 pm

Cavespider17 wrote:
Blackwolfe99 wrote:It's not NE, it would fit better as NC. It doesn't have any abilities that disrupt Town, and it can kill directly, thus NC.

While I see your point, I disagree - since once its job is done it cannot kill anymore. Also it can cause issues for town since it has a single directive. It's primary function is to disruption - however I will consider reworking parts of the mechanics to fix it and make it fit slightly better into NE. I would rather it be NE than NC, because NC doesn't feel right for a single objective/killing role.

One word:
Pirate.

BMG has shown that single objective killing roles are NC. NE roles are Witch who manipulates visits and has to see town lose, Exe who has to see a townie get lynched, and Jester who has to be lynched. Jester is the only NE who kills, but he kills as a reward for succeeding, not a requirement. While NC is basically "fun, but unbalanced roles that don't fit into the other neutral subalignments very well", at least we see that roles like this one would be placed as NC by the current trends of the game devs.

[url=https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1MZk7o65Y-BguXn9lOU9tVijQEPUZ7iYZ?usp=drive_link
]My Role Ideas[/url]
Fair warning, I know many of the ideas in this are pretty shitty/unbalanced, but I have a lot more knowledge of role mechanics and balancing now than I did then.

Currently Working On:
- Nothing in particular, might return to rework old ideas. We'll see.

EvilPudding wrote:Interesting idea and it is balanced like the WW

/support
Blackwolfe99
Witch
Witch

Postby Cavespider17 » Thu Feb 11, 2021 5:03 am

Blackwolfe99 wrote:One word:
Pirate.

BMG has shown that single objective killing roles are NC. NE roles are Witch who manipulates visits and has to see town lose, Exe who has to see a townie get lynched, and Jester who has to be lynched. Jester is the only NE who kills, but he kills as a reward for succeeding, not a requirement. While NC is basically "fun, but unbalanced roles that don't fit into the other neutral subalignments very well", at least we see that roles like this one would be placed as NC by the current trends of the game devs.

I respectfully disagree with you.

This role's killing capability has also been nerfed significantly since you last checked in (I don't know if you read it through a second time).

Here are the reasons why I disagree:
1) I am trying to make it balanced (hence why I would rather people suggest balance fixes right now).
2) Kill Capacity Nerf
3) Once objective is complete the ability to kill is REMOVED - unlike a Pirate.
4) You can cause disruption. This threatens Jailor Meta to some extent.
5) Conversion - You will convert into a jester if you fail to kill as a huntsman.

I have no intention of changing the role to Neutral Chaos at the current time.

Although, if you have suggestions regarding Balance or making it more NE-ish if you feel it is too in between the two types, feel free to suggest the alternatives. I am happy to consider them.
Cavespider17
Witch
Witch

Re: Role Idea - Huntsman Neutral Evil (Updated 8/2/21)

Postby alex1234321 » Thu Feb 11, 2021 7:21 am

I like this role, but there are a few small changes I would make. First, I would require that the Huntsman's prey is Town. If the prey is an evil role, then the Huntsman would be very helpful to the Town whereas it would be harmful to the Town if its prey is a Townie. To make things more consistent and make the role fit better into Neutral Evil, I would require that the prey is also a Town role. Since the role is more scumsided with that change, I would remove the mechanic where it kills attackers and just give it a regular scumshield. Evil roles like Huntsman tend to side with killers, so it wouldn't make sense for the Huntsman to harm potential allies. I would also allow it to target someone every night because it seems very hard to win as right now. You have to predict who your prey will visit, which is similar in difficulty to predicting who will die as a Doctor. If anything, it's harder since you don't know your target's role. You don't see Doctors healing people too often, and if you only gave them three heals it would be even rarer.
#SaveTheTG

Tired of trying to play discord Mafia games and not getting enough people? Join Town of Morons! We now have our own bot!

Credit to PurpleSidewalk1
alex1234321
Role Ideas Moderator
Role Ideas Moderator

Postby Cavespider17 » Thu Feb 11, 2021 9:52 am

alex1234321 wrote:I like this role, but there are a few small changes I would make. First, I would require that the Huntsman's prey is Town. If the prey is an evil role, then the Huntsman would be very helpful to the Town whereas it would be harmful to the Town if its prey is a Townie. To make things more consistent and make the role fit better into Neutral Evil, I would require that the prey is also a Town role. Since the role is more scumsided with that change, I would remove the mechanic where it kills attackers and just give it a regular scumshield. Evil roles like Huntsman tend to side with killers, so it wouldn't make sense for the Huntsman to harm potential allies. I would also allow it to target someone every night because it seems very hard to win as right now. You have to predict who your prey will visit, which is similar in difficulty to predicting who will die as a Doctor. If anything, it's harder since you don't know your target's role. You don't see Doctors healing people too often, and if you only gave them three heals it would be even rarer.

Hey Alex, thanks for your input.

I have updated the role so it now does the following:
1) Prey can only be Visiting Townies.
2) Huntsman has unlimited Visits.
3) Huntsman now has a POWERFUL defense. This deals with Werewolves nicely, and would make sense considering the character is wielding (supposedly a massive) shotgun.
4) If attacked at night, the Huntsman is roleblocked that night but will not shoot their attacker.

What I have updated:
1) The Only One clause - I think this adds a little bit of spice to the Huntsman's life, and fits in with their characteristic of trying to be the "best" (This now includes attackers onto their initial target).
2) Killing someone who attacks the Huntsman's target (--not prey) removes the Huntsman's scumshield completely. This makes Mafia/Coven and the Huntsman have to carefully consider who to visit. Elsewise the Huntsman may fall victim to a Vigilante.

Let me know if that makes it more balanced and more NE-ish. :)
Cavespider17
Witch
Witch

Postby syjfwbaobfwl » Thu Feb 11, 2021 10:52 am

1: NE shouldnt be able to directly kill

2: This shouldnt have powerful defense, tbh not even basic defense, I dont see a good reason why vigilantes, jailor, vet and crus shouldnt be able to kill this (maybe give it a scumshield but thats all)
syjfwbaobfwl
Jailor
Jailor

Postby Cavespider17 » Thu Feb 11, 2021 12:20 pm

syjfwbaobfwl wrote:1: NE shouldnt be able to directly kill

2: This shouldnt have powerful defense, tbh not even basic defense, I dont see a good reason why vigilantes, jailor, vet and crus shouldnt be able to kill this (maybe give it a scumshield but thats all)

I disagree on the killing function but I guess that's something we will have to agree to disagree on. - Personally I am in favour of having a more unique NE role that can do as it needs. Currently the Nes we have are dull.

I can nerf the defense back down to basic - you also have to remember that if attacked, the role is roleblocked and cannot do what it was originally going to.

Jailor can still exe something with a powerful defense.

Vigilantes can still kill the huntsman, if the huntsman has lost its defense (via a reaction kill).
Cavespider17
Witch
Witch

Postby alex1234321 » Thu Feb 11, 2021 12:50 pm

Why is it bad for NEs to kill but it's okay for TKs to? Both disrupt the killcount, and if anything TKs mess it up more.

I agree that this shouldn't have powerful defense. I would prefer a scumshield.
#SaveTheTG

Tired of trying to play discord Mafia games and not getting enough people? Join Town of Morons! We now have our own bot!

alex1234321
Role Ideas Moderator
Role Ideas Moderator

Postby syjfwbaobfwl » Thu Feb 11, 2021 1:03 pm

alex1234321 wrote:

Why is it bad for NEs to kill but it's okay for TKs to? Both disrupt the killcount, and if anything TKs mess it up more.

Because NE are NE, NE in general are roles with abilities (or the objective) to distrupt town directly without killing
And also we must keep in mind that this ranked rolelist will stay like this for a long time
And this role would cause the same problem than ambusher currently causes

Thats one of the many reasons of why jest shouldnt be NE

And also TK can kill because its literally their main purpose, kill
syjfwbaobfwl
Jailor
Jailor

Postby alex1234321 » Thu Feb 11, 2021 1:17 pm

syjfwbaobfwl wrote:
alex1234321 wrote:

Because NE are NE, NE in general are roles with abilities (or the objective) to distrupt town directly without killing
And also we must keep in mind that this ranked rolelist will stay like this for a long time
And this role would cause the same problem than ambusher currently causes

Thats one of the many reasons of why jest shouldnt be NE

And also TK can kill because its literally their main purpose, kill

Define the problem that ambusher currently causes.

In terms of swing, I'm okay with NE being similar to RT. All NE roles share similar goals similarly to RT. And it's perfectly okay that RT can role either Vig or Sheriff. If anyone had a problem with that, I think I'd see at least one thread talking about how RT should exclude TK, and I've never seen that suggestion before. The problem with Ambusher is that Mafia roles are an informed minority that should rely on deception as opposed to quick kills. This role can only kill one player, which is way less than Ambusher and less than any TK role. Also it's technically Neutral Other as opposed to a true NE, so it doesn't have to side with the informed minority.
#SaveTheTG

alex1234321
Role Ideas Moderator
Role Ideas Moderator

Postby DragonClaw66 » Fri Feb 26, 2021 4:30 pm

I would make it so that it has to be a Town role that has the ability to visit permanently. It would really suck if your prey was a Vigilante who decided to never shoot.
DragonClaw66
Summer 2019 Winner
Summer 2019 Winner

Postby Cavespider17 » Fri Mar 05, 2021 5:42 pm

DragonClaw66 wrote:I would make it so that it has to be a Town role that has the ability to visit permanently. It would really suck if your prey was a Vigilante who decided to never shoot.

I see this could be problematic in some ways, but you could always CC vigi or persuade them to shoot someone
Cavespider17
Witch
Witch

Postby alex1234321 » Fri Mar 05, 2021 8:38 pm

Cavespider17 wrote:
DragonClaw66 wrote:I would make it so that it has to be a Town role that has the ability to visit permanently. It would really suck if your prey was a Vigilante who decided to never shoot.

I see this could be problematic in some ways, but you could always CC vigi or persuade them to shoot someone

That’s definitely true. But it’s much harder to convince a Vigi to shoot someone than to convince a Sheriff to check someone.
#SaveTheTG

alex1234321
Role Ideas Moderator
Role Ideas Moderator

Postby Cavespider17 » Fri Mar 19, 2021 9:16 am

alex1234321 wrote:
Cavespider17 wrote:

That’s definitely true. But it’s much harder to convince a Vigi to shoot someone than to convince a Sheriff to check someone.

;) Yeah but it's still fun to do. I mean Exes and get confirmed Vets as targets. It would be the same-difficulty level as that.
Cavespider17
Witch
Witch

Next

Return to Role Ideas