How to delete?

Suggest new roles or changes to current roles for the game here.

How to delete?

Postby SatisSactiry » Mon Oct 26, 2020 6:16 am

How to delete?
Last edited by SatisSactiry on Sun Nov 15, 2020 4:29 am, edited 3 times in total.
SatisSactiry

Re: Role Idea: Detective (Neutral Chaos)

Postby DiamondRanger8 » Mon Oct 26, 2020 10:10 pm

I'm gonna be honest, I haven't read all the way through, but this role is extremely complex. I'm not sure new players especially would be able to get the hang of it. In other words, I think the skill gap is to big to really be added to TOS.
DiamondRanger8
Investigator
Investigator

Postby Brilliand » Mon Oct 26, 2020 10:29 pm

SatisSactiry wrote:Finding Roles: You are able to select two people at night.

At the end of the night you will get the roles of the two people you selected. If you only choose one target you will not use your ability.
If you select 1 person, you will have a one on one with them, similar to being jailed, however the Detective cannot kill them. While being interrogated, you are still able to select a target.

Since it's a night ability, there's no time for a "one on one" session between when the ability takes effect and when the next day starts.

SatisSactiry wrote:Protect simply grants your target Powerful defence (which can obviously be bypassed by Juggernaut or Pestilence).

Pestilence can't bypass Powerful defense.

----

Overall:

I don't think the name "Detective" fits for this role. A role named "Detective" pretty much has to be a Town role.

The single-target "Jailing" mechanic seems irrelevant to this role's purpose. The two-target role hunting, on the other hand, is super-powerful, and could be a problem if the Detective gets an evil target.

I also think that this role has it too easy, being able to win both by lynching and by night kill, and getting continuous extra chances if its target dies by other means. It only takes one of the series of targets getting lynched for you to win, and that's quite likely to happen even if you don't actively push them using your double-consig-power as support.
Brilliand
Godfather
Godfather

Postby SatisSactiry » Tue Oct 27, 2020 12:00 am

You wrote: "Since it's a night ability there's no time for a "one on one" session between when the ability takes effect and when the next day starts.".
Response: I actually originally posted this to Reddit and Fandom, which both have access to strikethrough, and because the interrogation ability received some hard love. I put a strikethrough on it, changes "day" to "night" and called it a day.

You wrote: Pestilence can't bypass Powerful defence.
Response: Same reason before about the strikethrough, except I forgot to change it.

You wrote: I don't think the name "Detective" fits for this role. A role named "Detective" pretty much has to be a Town role.

The single-target "Jailing" mechanic seems irrelevant to this role's purpose. The two-target role hunting, on the other hand, is super-powerful, and could be a problem if the Detective gets an evil target.

I also think that this role has it too easy, being able to win both by lynching and by night kill, and getting continuous extra chances if its target dies by other means. It only takes one of the series of targets getting lynched for you to win, and that's quite likely to happen even if you don't actively push them using your double-consig-power as support.

Response:
1. "Detective" totally fits for this role. Private Investigator, P.I or some other names I brainstormed just sounded totally wrong. The definition for Detective is typically described as being a member of the Police, and is in fact, the name for someone who pieces together crimes in the NYPD. However Detective can also be used as a baseline word describing someone who looks for information, A.K.A a Private Investigator.

2. I agree, the Jailor factor is overpowered. I had a few ideas to fix it. Like Jailing priority (Jailing Jailor's target would end with them being jailed by Jailor, Jailing each other would end with Detective Jailed), less SK/WW defence etc. However no matter how much I tried it never fit the criteria to fix problems given to me by readers. So I eventually just removed it.

3. The Detective gets NO chances for performing an incorrect kill. They will die if it's the wrong role and target as well as having to lynch them if they are the wrong target but same role. If the Detective's target has higher defence, it lowers the chance that their target will change, but also makes it easier to lynch them as most roles with defence are evil. If your target is town it's likely they have lower defence, making it so you must constantly remember or make good use of previous information.
SatisSactiry

Postby SatisSactiry » Tue Oct 27, 2020 12:05 am

You wrote "I'm gonna be honest, I haven't read all the way through, but this role is extremely complex. I'm not sure new players especially would be able to get the hang of it. In other words, I think the skill gap is to big to really be added to TOS."

Thanks for the review but I would ask you read through it again.
The ability is literally to visit two people and get two roles.

(And as you posted this, interrogation was literally just the same ability as Jailor)
SatisSactiry

Postby Brilliand » Tue Oct 27, 2020 12:44 am

SatisSactiry wrote:Response: I actually originally posted this to Reddit and Fandom, which both have access to strikethrough, and because the interrogation ability received some hard love. I put a strikethrough on it, changes "day" to "night" and called it a day.

Understandable, but since you don't yet have access to strikethrough on this forum, I recommend deleting all the parts you no longer agree with. We really only need to see the version you like anyway. :)

(After reaching 150 posts outside Role Ideas, you can apply to get access to strikethrough, which will probably be granted a week or so later.)
Brilliand
Godfather
Godfather

Postby DiamondRanger8 » Tue Oct 27, 2020 1:09 am

Brilliand wrote:
SatisSactiry wrote:Response: I actually originally posted this to Reddit and Fandom, which both have access to strikethrough, and because the interrogation ability received some hard love. I put a strikethrough on it, changes "day" to "night" and called it a day.

Understandable, but since you don't yet have access to strikethrough on this forum, I recommend deleting all the parts you no longer agree with. We really only need to see the version you like anyway. :)

(After reaching 150 posts outside Role Ideas, you can apply to get access to strikethrough, which will probably be granted a week or so later.)

What does the strikethrough do?
DiamondRanger8
Investigator
Investigator

Postby DiamondRanger8 » Tue Oct 27, 2020 1:26 am

So I finished reading through the role. I do like it, but I also agree Detective isn't really a fitting name for this role. Maybe if the detective could only win by lynching it could work, but since they're able to kill the target directly, it doesn't really fit. A better name for it would probably be something like the Hitman or the Assassin imo. This role is extremely OP. however, if you get a Neutral role, since no faction will try and stop you from killing, and you're basically a survivor who is 2x as good as consig once you win.
DiamondRanger8
Investigator
Investigator

Postby Brilliand » Tue Oct 27, 2020 2:49 am

DiamondRanger8 wrote:What does the strikethrough do?

It draws a line through the text, like this.

Most people care more about spoilers, which you get at the same time.
Brilliand
Godfather
Godfather

Return to Role Ideas