Witch rework to stop vindictive mafia

Suggest new roles or changes to current roles for the game here.

Witch rework to stop vindictive mafia

Postby SinisterSlut » Mon Oct 19, 2020 9:15 pm

Simply change the witch to when they're lynched they gain control of mafioso, or godfather (if godfather is alive). And be able to use them to attack once. The witch would obviously be unable to see the name of the godfather/mafioso that they're controlling (this way they can't sell out maf to medium). The witch will be able to target anyone including the mafia themselves if the witch knows who the are. This dis-incentivizes mafia to lynch witch when they know who witch is. If the witch feels as if the mafia wronged them and lynched them for no reason, it gives the witch a chance to fight back and screw over the vindictive mafia. This has been a problem with town of salem from the very beginning, if played right witch can be a total game changer for evils, and to have a group of people who may be toxic decide whether or not you actually get to win after playing the entire game and helping them is a huge problem. Only in a few situations will maf actually be able to screw over the witch and not be punished for it, if the mafia don't intentionally kill witch just for the sake of toxicity then the witch obviously won't go out of their way to hurt mafia. Also since witch is the strongest neutral evil it balances them out by giving mafia a slight disadvantage when witch dies.
SinisterSlut

Re: Witch rework to stop vindictive mafia

Postby syjfwbaobfwl » Sat Oct 24, 2020 11:53 am

Not sure but I think that lynch or attack witch when they know who witch is, is gamethrowing unless witch was clearly going against them
syjfwbaobfwl
Jailor
Jailor

Postby Brilliand » Sat Oct 24, 2020 12:05 pm

The Mafia sometimes needs to kill the Witch for siding with the NK. This is completely legitimate, and shouldn't be punished.

There might be a case for a Harassment or Gamethrowing report for killing the witch intentionally and without cause; I'm not sure.
Brilliand
Godfather
Godfather

Postby RiceHatMan » Sat Oct 24, 2020 1:18 pm

Brilliand wrote:The Mafia sometimes needs to kill the Witch for siding with the NK. This is completely legitimate, and shouldn't be punished.

There might be a case for a Harassment or Gamethrowing report for killing the witch intentionally and without cause; I'm not sure.

Actually, if there is no cause for killing the Witch, it isn't harassment. As long as Mafia have secured the win, it's not gamethrowing to kill the Witch. In fact, it could be considered the opposite, since Witch might be the only way Mafia might lose, so killing the Witch can be considered securing the win for your team.
RiceHatMan
Investigator
Investigator

Postby OreCreeper » Mon Oct 26, 2020 2:45 pm

I've seen witches who vote with town in evil majority, disrupting mafia from their job, and being a general annoyance. I don't really think these witches deserve the win. Most mafias won't lynch the witch for no reason when they can end the game sooner. However, if you've been annoying and not only being useless, but actively getting in the way of the mafia, it's not a surprise they would want to lynch you.
OreCreeper
Vigilante
Vigilante

Postby DiamondRanger8 » Tue Oct 27, 2020 1:32 am

I've been in multiple situations where mafia will lynch me for claiming witch to them, effectively outing a Mafia member, just to do it. Mafia already gets enough of a punishment if the witch choses to, since witch can just out all the mafia they know in the last will, however this will only work if evils don't have majority. You should just be able to report someone for harassment if they lynch you without any cause and that would solve the problem.
DiamondRanger8
Investigator
Investigator

Postby Brilliand » Tue Oct 27, 2020 2:57 am

DiamondRanger8 wrote:I've been in multiple situations where mafia will lynch me for claiming witch to them, effectively outing a Mafia member, just to do it.

Arguably that Mafia member was bussing you to make himself look more Townie. Players who have just barely gotten the hang of "evils should pretend to be Town" might react to a witch exactly the same way as a Town player would... as part of pretending to be Town.

This is, by the way, exactly the right response to a Mayor or Transporter who whispers you falsely claiming to be Witch.

DiamondRanger8 wrote:You should just be able to report someone for harassment if they lynch you without any cause and that would solve the problem.

Lynching people for no reason is sort of the Town's job (if they don't have any better idea), just like killing people for no reason in the night is sort of the Mafia's job (if they don't have any better idea).

Random lynching may favor evils, but it's still better than goldfishing.
Brilliand
Godfather
Godfather

Postby DiamondRanger8 » Tue Oct 27, 2020 12:32 pm

Brilliand wrote:
DiamondRanger8 wrote:I've been in multiple situations where mafia will lynch me for claiming witch to them, effectively outing a Mafia member, just to do it.

Arguably that Mafia member was bussing you to make himself look more Townie. Players who have just barely gotten the hang of "evils should pretend to be Town" might react to a witch exactly the same way as a Town player would... as part of pretending to be Town.

This is, by the way, exactly the right response to a Mayor or Transporter who whispers you falsely claiming to be Witch.

DiamondRanger8 wrote:You should just be able to report someone for harassment if they lynch you without any cause and that would solve the problem.

Lynching people for no reason is sort of the Town's job (if they don't have any better idea), just like killing people for no reason in the night is sort of the Mafia's job (if they don't have any better idea).

Random lynching may favor evils, but it's still better than goldfishing.

What I was talking about is Mafia 5v1, 1 townie, the Witch, and 4 Mafia. The Mafia lynch the Witch for no reason whatsoever because all they have to do is lynch the last townie to win. Same should be said about a confirmed survivor, if Consig finds them for example, and decides to lynch them in a majority situation, both of which have happened to me. If there is no reason to lynch a neutral role who either wins with you or helps you throughout the whole game, that should be reportable.
DiamondRanger8
Investigator
Investigator

Return to Role Ideas