Remove the "Amnesiac has remembered" message.

Suggest new roles or changes to current roles for the game here.

Remove the "Amnesiac has remembered" message.

Postby Kikigiri » Thu Dec 12, 2019 3:17 am

What purpose does this message serve?

It allows Amnesiacs who remember Town to fairly flawlessly prove themselves, which is undesirable.

It gives the Town warning when an Amnesiac remembers an evil role, which makes things easier for Town and is broadly undesirable given that Town already have the advantage. Having an Amne silently become a stealth NK when you think all NKs are gone is a nasty surprise, but it's something the Town ought to be able to anticipate and deal with.

Amnesiacs don't currently appear in Ranked, but when they do appear in any such "fixed" role list, it makes it impossible for the Amnesiac to introduce doubt as to the role list by going evil and staying silent. That is, without the message, anyone could potentially claim Amnesiac -> Town as long as there's a potential NB or Amne unaccounted for, including Amnesiacs, and any Mafia that cleaned an NB could thereafter claim to be an Amne who went good. Without the clean it'd be dangerous (NBs would often counterclaim), but it'd be at least an option; more options are always needed in such modes. Similarly, it encourages Amnesiacs to remember Town (which lets them easily prove themselves) and never evil (which leaves them with no claimspace.) Of course, without the message Amnesiacs who go Town would often still be lynched, but that's a good thing (ie. the potential for mislynches is a vital part of the game.)

Generally the game should avoid revealing "free" information like this, since it reduces possible strategies.
Last edited by Kikigiri on Thu Dec 12, 2019 11:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
Please put the Witch in Coven mode. I miss it. :-(
Kikigiri
Jailor
Jailor

Re: Remove the "Amnesiac has remembered" message.

Postby SparkingJay » Thu Dec 12, 2019 9:28 am

It would definitely be much more fun as Amne to silently take a role instead of receiving a message. I agree

SparkingJay
Retributionist
Retributionist

Postby Brilliand » Thu Dec 12, 2019 1:32 pm

Only downside I see to this is that the town probably deserves a warning if the Amnesiac remembers a unique role.

I'm generally in favor of this change, and it sounds like an easy one too.
Brilliand
Godfather
Godfather

Postby JacksonVirgo » Thu Dec 12, 2019 5:47 pm

Brilliand wrote:Only downside I see to this is that the town probably deserves a warning if the Amnesiac remembers a unique role.

I'm generally in favor of this change, and it sounds like an easy one too.

Why does down deserve a warning for a unique role? I understand if they remember pestilence but not any other role
Pronouns - They/Them

On-site FM Record: 11-0-11
Spoiler: Latest Town Game: VFM75 - Citizen - Win
Latest Scum Game: SFM79 - Coroner - Win
Latest Neutral Game: SFM72 - Failed Assassin - Win
Last updated 02.12.20 AEST
JacksonVirgo
Sheriff
Sheriff

Postby Brilliand » Thu Dec 12, 2019 9:54 pm

JacksonVirgo wrote:Why does down deserve a warning for a unique role? I understand if they remember pestilence but not any other role

Actually, on second thought they really don't. I was thinking "because a rule they normally rely on is being broken", but everyone would know what the Amnesiac can do, so they would just stop relying on that rule so much.
Brilliand
Godfather
Godfather

Postby Boredfan1 » Fri Dec 13, 2019 3:48 am

You can't remember a unique role. But I agree with this suggestion.
Boredfan1
Jailor
Jailor

Postby JacksonVirgo » Fri Dec 13, 2019 8:25 am

Boredfan1 wrote:You can't remember a unique role. But I agree with this suggestion.

Not exactly, you can't remember a unique Town role at all or a unique evil role if they are currently alive. If there's a godfather deado and no godfather alive, I am pretty sure you can remember it
Pronouns - They/Them

On-site FM Record: 11-0-11
Spoiler: Latest Town Game: VFM75 - Citizen - Win
Latest Scum Game: SFM79 - Coroner - Win
Latest Neutral Game: SFM72 - Failed Assassin - Win
Last updated 02.12.20 AEST
JacksonVirgo
Sheriff
Sheriff

Postby Boredfan1 » Fri Dec 13, 2019 1:37 pm

JacksonVirgo wrote:
Boredfan1 wrote:You can't remember a unique role. But I agree with this suggestion.

Not exactly, you can't remember a unique Town role at all or a unique evil role if they are currently alive. If there's a godfather deado and no godfather alive, I am pretty sure you can remember it

Pretty sure you can't.
Boredfan1
Jailor
Jailor

Postby Superalex11 » Fri Dec 13, 2019 2:42 pm

Boredfan1 wrote:
JacksonVirgo wrote:

Pretty sure you can't.

As of patch 2.0.0 you can, as stated here: viewtopic.php?f=11&t=68383
Soon™
Superalex11
Retributionist
Retributionist

Postby timurtheking » Sat Dec 14, 2019 5:36 am

Every amnesiac found will just get lynched or killed now. Guess its a 2nd evil slot in invest results.
Check out my ideas:
The Philosophers (New Faction)
Witch Change/buff

Just remembering the good times when this forum was alive :))

Best known for; hosting The Room FG series and being the Right Hand of Game's Hub
timurtheking
Sponsor
Sponsor

Postby Brilliand » Sat Dec 14, 2019 1:59 pm

timurtheking wrote:Every amnesiac found will just get lynched or killed now. Guess its a 2nd evil slot in invest results.

So the amne claims Survivor. No problem.

That resultset doesn't have an evil slot outside of Coven currently, so turning one of its slots evil is fine.
Brilliand
Godfather
Godfather

Postby timurtheking » Sat Dec 14, 2019 2:02 pm

Brilliand wrote:
timurtheking wrote:Every amnesiac found will just get lynched or killed now. Guess its a 2nd evil slot in invest results.

So the amne claims Survivor. No problem.

That resultset doesn't have an evil slot outside of Coven currently, so turning one of its slots evil is fine.

survivor dies lel.

neutral benigns are trash for that reason usually, as soon as theres an NK surv dies.

this change is balanced by amne would get more fucked then usual
Check out my ideas:
The Philosophers (New Faction)
Witch Change/buff

Just remembering the good times when this forum was alive :))

Best known for; hosting The Room FG series and being the Right Hand of Game's Hub
timurtheking
Sponsor
Sponsor

Postby Jackparrot » Mon Dec 16, 2019 9:44 am

I agree, right now amnesiacs are practically forced to remember a town role.
/support
I am not as active as I used to be, although I should be somewhat active.
Jackparrot
Sheriff
Sheriff

Postby Kikigiri » Sun Dec 29, 2019 1:59 pm

That's not a bad thing IMHO. Part of the reason for NBs is to create uncertainty in the role list. If an Amnesiac can just reveal safely, then they're wasting their slot - they should have an incentive to lie.

(Also, there are situations where you can safely reveal, eg. late in the game when the town doesn't have time to lynch an NB. That is good because it also opens up NBs as claimspace for evils in certain situations - risky claimspace, sure, but it's better for it to be an option rather than having them auto-confirming like this.)

Plus an Amne could just quietly remember town and then pretend they were always that role, if they wanted to.
Please put the Witch in Coven mode. I miss it. :-(
Kikigiri
Jailor
Jailor

Postby Malphas » Mon Dec 30, 2019 6:56 am

I agree that the Town should not gain "free" information and if there's anyone saying that the should get a warning than the notification could be changed from "The amnesiac has remembered that they are like the [role name]." to "The amnesiac has remembered their role."
Malphas

Postby ScarfVendetta » Wed Jan 01, 2020 11:24 am

Malphas wrote:I agree that the Town should not gain "free" information and if there's anyone saying that the should get a warning than the notification could be changed from "The amnesiac has remembered that they are like the [role name]." to "The amnesiac has remembered their role."

I think that's a solid idea tbh. Let everyone know that Amnesiac has changed their role, but not which role they remembered. Would give Amnesiacs more leeway to remember evil roles as well as less of an incentive to always remember Town. No longer comes with instant confirmability.
Just some Sheriff who didn't claim until Day 5, and has no leads whatsoever

No need to be alarmed...
ScarfVendetta
Summer 2020 Winner
Summer 2020 Winner

Postby SparkingJay » Wed Jan 01, 2020 12:08 pm

Malphas wrote:I agree that the Town should not gain "free" information and if there's anyone saying that the should get a warning than the notification could be changed from "The amnesiac has remembered that they are like the [role name]." to "The amnesiac has remembered their role."

This is also a really good idea. Big brain time.

SparkingJay
Retributionist
Retributionist

Postby NashedPotato » Thu Jan 02, 2020 4:36 am

This is actually a really neat idea in theory, not sure how it would par in practice though

Edit: Forgot to sign out of my alt lel
NashedPotato

Postby StrahmDude » Sun Jan 05, 2020 8:56 pm

No dev has responded yet, but I have yet to see a single negative reply so I don't see why they wouldn't do this.
StrahmDude
Doctor
Doctor

Return to Role Ideas