Arsonist rework

Suggest new roles or changes to current roles for the game here.

Arsonist rework

Postby philip1077 » Fri Aug 23, 2019 7:54 pm

There is a lot of controversy around the arsonist and it’s ability to help maf and level the playing field for town in ranked. Unlike the serial killer, the arsonist has to be patient and skilled with douses. I think it’s important to understand that the arsonist can be silent, but deadly, if played right and left alone. However, one big issue with the arsonist is it’s so easy to be discovered.
Invest results, will yield a suspicious BG claim.
Sheriff result will uncover the con-artist instantly.
LO results will show that the BG didn’t protect the Jailor N2.
Lastly, the Mafia will discover the Arso when he’s attacked and doesn’t die.

The arsonist is no doubt unpowered, but that can change with a little rework.
My suggestions are as follows:
1. The arsonist can visit the same person more than once, putting a little extra gas on that Jailor doesn’t sound like a bad idea when your getting ready to burn em, and the LO too.
2. The arsonist can ignite from jail. This may cause some draw games which wouldn’t be great, so maybe ignite but not kill the Jailor would be better.
3. The witch can not make the arsonist douse himself. And yes, this has happened to me before. When a witch controls an arso to himself, it causes them to douse them self... great now I’ve wasted two nights because my target didn’t get doused, and to avoid killing myself I have to clean off that gas.
4. If a person in jail is ignited, the flames also kill the Jailor, regardless of if they have been doused or not.
5. Lastly just to speed things up, if there is one town member that isn’t Vet remaining, the game should end in an arso win because it just takes two unnecessary days for everybody. (Like if there is a lookout and and arso left, the game should end in an arso win)

Let me know what you think guys!
I’m new, don’t kill me cause it might be in your favour to kill someone else... or is it? ;)

Yes, I like to hunt Mafia on my spare time dressed as an orange teletubby with a shotgun.

philip1077
Executioner
Executioner

Re: Arsonist rework

Postby DragonClaw66 » Sat Aug 24, 2019 10:22 am

(1) The Arsonist can already visit the same person more than once. Are you saying it should have some sort of additional effect?
(2) The Arsonist does need buffs that make it easier to perform its abilities, but not this. It should douse role blockers.
(3) The Arsonist should be immune to douses.
(4) This is a very random and unnecessary buff.
(5) The game doesn’t end automatically so that the Arsonist is never sure whether or not the last player is actually a Veteran.

This overhaul fixes the major problems of the Arsonist.
DragonClaw66
Summer 2019 Winner
Summer 2019 Winner

Postby MoustachioMario » Sun Aug 25, 2019 10:27 am

I think if the Arsonist visits someone they already doused, everyone who visits their target also gets doused
Games Won
Spoiler:
SFM63
The Godfather
[Survived]

Games Lost
Spoiler:
NFMNFM3
The Consigliere
[Lynched Day Four]
MoustachioMario
Doctor
Doctor

Postby JacksonVirgo » Sun Aug 25, 2019 5:32 pm

MoustachioMario wrote:I think if the Arsonist visits someone they already doused, everyone who visits their target also gets doused

I mean, that's one way but I was kind of thinking that if an arsonist 'double douses' one player, when they ignite it should be a rampaging attack killing visitors. Because dousing visitors can be a bit overpowered I feel, maybe not.
Pronouns - They/Them

On-site FM Record: 11-0-11
Spoiler: Latest Town Game: VFM75 - Citizen - Win
Latest Scum Game: SFM79 - Coroner - Win
Latest Neutral Game: SFM72 - Failed Assassin - Win
Last updated 02.12.20 AEST
JacksonVirgo
Sheriff
Sheriff

Postby Brilliand » Mon Aug 26, 2019 1:36 am

JacksonVirgo wrote:
MoustachioMario wrote:I think if the Arsonist visits someone they already doused, everyone who visits their target also gets doused

I mean, that's one way but I was kind of thinking that if an arsonist 'double douses' one player, when they ignite it should be a rampaging attack killing visitors. Because dousing visitors can be a bit overpowered I feel, maybe not.

I'm thinking this change wouldn't actually help the Arsonist at all. The rampage wouldn't be worth spending the extra night, for the same reason the Werewolf is weaker than the Serial Killer.

But yeah, dousing visitors every night would be too much.
Brilliand
Godfather
Godfather

Postby philip1077 » Mon Aug 26, 2019 9:32 am

I think that would be very powerful at the beginning. Say you douse a Jailor, and only he gets doused, then you douse him again because ur a BG, and everybody else gets doused. You can most likely kill Lo, TP and Jailor, possibly more N3. I like that idea, it puts more pressure on Bgs, because they are susp af, and it also kills a lot of town, taking attention away from mafia at the start

/support
I’m new, don’t kill me cause it might be in your favour to kill someone else... or is it? ;)

Yes, I like to hunt Mafia on my spare time dressed as an orange teletubby with a shotgun.

philip1077
Executioner
Executioner

Postby Brilliand » Mon Aug 26, 2019 11:17 am

philip1077 wrote:I think that would be very powerful at the beginning. Say you douse a Jailor, and only he gets doused, then you douse him again because ur a BG, and everybody else gets doused. You can most likely kill Lo, TP and Jailor, possibly more N3. I like that idea, it puts more pressure on Bgs, because they are susp af, and it also kills a lot of town, taking attention away from mafia at the start

If there's a lookout, though, this is suicide for the Arsonist: he'll be outed as the only visitor to the Jailor who wasn't killed in the ignite.
Brilliand
Godfather
Godfather

Postby philip1077 » Mon Aug 26, 2019 1:07 pm

If there's a lookout, though, this is suicide for the Arsonist: he'll be outed as the only visitor to the Jailor who wasn't killed in the ignite.[/quote]

That is the counter to the arsonist, similarly to how the WW has a choice to attack the Jailor N2, hoping that there isn't a BG which is the only role that will kill them. This is similar because the Lo, can probably expose the Arsonist, but it's a risk he/she needs to take, in order to deal a massive amount of damage, and if the game is going well, the mafia might be able to side with the Arso to have a majority giving to Arso the chance to go after Mafia to level the playing field and try to win. This suggestion might be more relevant to help buff the weak Arso, and also make it more relevant to helping Mafia secure a majority and cause chaos amongst the town.

It's a risk, this idea is only a potential strategy for the buffed Arsonist, it might actually cause Jailor to stay quiet giving the Mafia a chance to kill him quietly when no one is watching or protecting. It might make the Jailor reconsider claiming D1 because fear of an Arsonist could be a very powerful tool to keep a very powerful Jailor at bay.

philip1077
Executioner
Executioner

Return to Role Ideas