Magus (Town Protective)

Suggest new roles or changes to current roles for the game here.

Magus (Town Protective)

Postby DragonClaw66 » Wed Aug 14, 2019 3:00 pm

Name: Magus
Alignment: Town Protective
Summary: A sorcerer with an expert knowledge of healing spells.
Stats: Attack - None, Defense - None
Specials: None
Type: Non-Unique

Sheriff Results: You cannot find evidence of wrongdoing. Your target seems innocent.
Investigator Results: N/A
Consigliere Results: Your target heals others with magic. They must be a Magus.

Abilities:
- Enchant a player at night.
- Activate your enchantments at night.
Attributes:
- Upon activating your enchantments, all enchanted players will be granted a temporary powerful defense. If one of your targets is attacked and saved at this time, all enchantments will be fade.
- You are unable to activate enchantments on two consecutive nights.

Goal: Lynch every criminal and evildoer.
Victory Conditions:
- (Current Town win conditions).

Achievements:
- Mender: Win 1 game as a Magus.
- Wizard: Win 5 games as a Magus.
- Physician: Win 10 games as a Magus.
- Shaman: Win 25 games as a Magus.
- Incantations: Save two or more players in a single night.
- Conjurations: Save three players in a single game.
- Swift Spell: Save a player on the second night.

Note: If the Magus activates all enchantments and nobody is attacked, the enchantments will not disappear.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This is the Magus, a Town Arsonist whose "douses" heal the player upon "ignition". The Doctor and Bodyguard have higher skill ceilings as you have to accurately predict what player is going to be attacked. This role exchanges high power for high guarantee of protection (if more people protected at once, you are more likely to successfully heal someone). The Magus doesn't actually "accomplish" anything, it's just a new take on a Town Protective.
Last edited by DragonClaw66 on Thu Aug 15, 2019 3:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DragonClaw66
Summer 2019 Winner
Summer 2019 Winner

Re: Magus (Town Protective)

Postby Somnambula » Wed Aug 14, 2019 5:11 pm

DragonClaw66 wrote:Name: MagusThe name isn't as intuitive as I would like, but I guess it's okay.

Sheriff Results: You cannot find evidence of wrongdoing. Your target seems innocent.

Abilities:
- Activate your enchantments at night.Hmm, this is pretty interesting, but this feels a bit overpowered, especially when compared to a Doctor. You can REPEATEDLY activate enchantments, which allow you to grant a lot of protection at once.
Attributes:
- Upon activating your enchantments, all enchanted players will be granted a temporary powerful defense. If one of your targets is attacked and saved at this time, all enchantments will be fade.Does it cure poison?
Is there any way to protect yourself?
Victory Conditions:
What are the interactions if a Witch/Coven Leader controls you?
Achievements:
This is quite good, you just need to put in some interactions. You might want to nerf it slightly, since it's better than Doctor in almost every way.
Note: If the Magus activates all enchantments and nobody is attacked, the enchantments will not disappear.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This is the Magus, a Town Arsonist whose "douses" heal the player upon "ignition". The Doctor and Bodyguard have higher skill ceilings as you have to accurately predict what player is going to be attacked. This role exchanges high power for high guarantee of protection (if more people protected at once, you are more likely to successfully heal someone). The Magus doesn't actually "accomplish" anything, it's just a new take on a Town Protective.
Somnambula
Amnesiac
Amnesiac

Postby Brilliand » Wed Aug 14, 2019 6:32 pm

The near-guarantee of getting a heal in at least once per game means that it's more confirmable than the Doctor. This is probably a bad thing.

A confirmed Magus is likely a bit less useful to the Town than a confirmed Doctor is, though, since it isn't capable of maintaining a stable TP chain.
Brilliand
Godfather
Godfather

Postby ImposterK » Wed Aug 14, 2019 8:00 pm

This role is very similar to the Botanist; however, I think I like your idea better. It is much easier to understand because it is so simple. I love the dilemma that this role creates, and I think it would be really fun to play as. I would suggest adding something where it says that if you protect a player, the protected player isn't notified they're attacked. This way, evildoers are able to claim to be this role.
ImposterK
Civilian
Civilian

Postby Brilliand » Wed Aug 14, 2019 8:17 pm

ImposterK wrote:I would suggest adding something where it says that if you protect a player, the protected player isn't notified they're attacked.

This would get weird in cases where the target should know that they got attacked, such as when the attack is due to the Bodyguard's self-kill, or a rampage attack such as the Veteran or Werewolf.
Brilliand
Godfather
Godfather

Postby efebozkurt2 » Thu Aug 15, 2019 4:49 am

It should not Powerful, should be Basic defense if its like dousing.

/semisupport
efebozkurt2
Amnesiac
Amnesiac

Postby DragonClaw66 » Thu Aug 15, 2019 3:41 pm

Spoiler:
Somnambula wrote:
DragonClaw66 wrote:Name: MagusThe name isn't as intuitive as I would like, but I guess it's okay.

Abilities:
- Activate your enchantments at night.Hmm, this is pretty interesting, but this feels a bit overpowered, especially when compared to a Doctor. You can REPEATEDLY activate enchantments, which allow you to grant a lot of protection at once. After rereading it, I agree, it does feel slightly powerful. I feel that preventing it from activating the enchantments consecutively would be a reasonable nerf. This also raises the skill cap of the role as you have to predict when one of your enchanted targets is going to be attacked.
Attributes:
- Upon activating your enchantments, all enchanted players will be granted a temporary powerful defense. If one of your targets is attacked and saved at this time, all enchantments will be fade.Does it cure poison? I don't really take Coven roles into consideration unless I'm working directly with them (such as when I'm making a role change to an expansion-exclusive role. I could go either way.
Is there any way to protect yourself? It cannot.
Victory Conditions:
What are the interactions if a Witch/Coven Leader controls you? The target you are forced to visit is enchanted, even if that target is yourself (comparable to the Arsonist).
Achievements:
This is quite good, you just need to put in some interactions. You might want to nerf it slightly, since it's better than Doctor in almost every way.I don't feel that it's better than the Doctor; it cannot protect itself and its protection can be unreliable (it cannot protect a player on the first night or after an activation).

My responses to you are in dark, bolded red.

Brilliand wrote:The near-guarantee of getting a heal in at least once per game means that it's more confirmable than the Doctor. This is probably a bad thing.

A confirmed Magus is likely a bit less useful to the Town than a confirmed Doctor is, though, since it isn't capable of maintaining a stable TP chain.

I've nerfed its ability to guarantee protection by putting preventing consecutive enchantment activations.

ImposterK wrote:I would suggest adding something where it says that if you protect a player, the protected player isn't notified they're attacked. This way, evildoers are able to claim to be this role.

Even without the nerf I'm currently adding, preventing players from learning that they were protected feels unnecessary (and as Brilliand said, strange in certain cases).
DragonClaw66
Summer 2019 Winner
Summer 2019 Winner

Return to Role Ideas