Obfuscator (Mafia Deception)

Suggest new roles or changes to current roles for the game here.

Obfuscator (Mafia Deception)

Postby Malfoydragon » Tue Jan 24, 2023 3:57 pm

Role Name: Obfuscator

Role Alignment: Mafia Deception

Abilities: The Obfuscator can visit 1 person's house each night. The Obfuscator's target won't receive any notifications that night. This includes all types of notifications. So, notifications concerning actions that are done to the target will be hidden, such as being transported, roleblocked, or attacked and healed. But notifications concerning an action the player does to others will also be hidden. So, TI roles will not get any results back if they are obfuscated, vigilantes won't see if they hit an immune, TPs won't see if their target was attacked, etc.

Attributes: Being visited by the Obfuscator also will not generate a notification, as that would kind of defeat the point of the role, which is to confuse Town. Town should have to deduce the presence of an Obfuscator, instead of being told.

Investigative Results:
    Sheriff: Your target is suspicious or framed!
    Investigator: Your target could be an Investigator, Consigliere, Mayor, or Obfuscator.
    Consigliere: Your target withholds information from the Town. They must be an Obfuscator.

Goal: Kill anyone that will not submit to the Mafia.

Victory Conditions: Wins with Mafia, Survivor, Witch. Must kill Town, Arsonist, Serial Killer, Werewolf, Vampires, Coven, Plaguebearer, Pestilence, Juggernaut.

Additional Information: While the Obfuscator acts as a de facto Consort when they visit a TI role, keep in mind their ability isn't to roleblock per se, but merely to withhold information from their target. So for instance, if the Jailor is attacked and the Doctor protecting the Jailor gets obfuscated, the Doctor's heal will still go through, but the Doctor will not be informed of the attack on the Jailor.

Also, if the Obfuscator and the Spy visit the same target, the Spy's bugging ability will not be interfered with (unless there is a second Obfuscator that decides to obfuscate the Spy). This also provides a buff to the Spy's near-useless bugging ability.
Malfoydragon
Witch
Witch

Re: Obfuscator (Mafia Deception)

Postby cheeseandtomatos » Tue Jan 24, 2023 11:05 pm

Will the Obfuscator receive all the messages instead, like Witch? This would make claiming as Obfuscator super easy/fun.
sometimes when my mother isn't home i go into the backyard, bury myself, and pretend i am a carrot

I sometimes go as burn
cheeseandtomatos
Executioner
Executioner

Postby Poryg » Wed Jan 25, 2023 12:51 pm

I'm personally against the idea of the obfuscation being silent. It's useful/relevant only in the case when you have a consort or a witch or when you hit a shooting vigilante (and even in these cases it's easy to figure out you've been obfuscated) or when you hit a LO or a spy - so only in very specific cases in which even loud obfuscation will do as good of a job. Obfuscation being loud could also serve for evils to fake claim.
I also agree that the obfuscator stealing the messages instead of the intended target would make the role fun. It would also be a good counter against the TP/LO meta as you can just target the LO to see who are the docs.

Overall, I support this role. But I think there's room for improvement.
Poryg
Witch
Witch

Postby Malfoydragon » Fri Jan 27, 2023 12:11 am

cheeseandtomatos wrote:Will the Obfuscator receive all the messages instead, like Witch? This would make claiming as Obfuscator super easy/fun.

I like that idea - I'm going with yes.
Malfoydragon
Witch
Witch

Postby WaveAqualei » Fri Jan 27, 2023 11:24 pm

Not getting any notifications if an Obfuscator visited you makes sense, but why not be alerted if one visits you? I get it's meant to cause deception, but I don't see this role getting any mislynches, except maybe Doctor.
WaveAqualei
Role Ideas Moderator
Role Ideas Moderator

Return to Role Ideas