Defendant (Neutral Evil)

Suggest new roles or changes to current roles for the game here.

Defendant (Neutral Evil)

Postby mygma » Fri Dec 02, 2022 1:06 am

Defendant - Neutral(Evil)

Summary:
You are a public defender that makes sure his clients don't get lynched

Attack: None
Defense: Auto-vest
Unique: Yes
Priority: 3

Abilities:
During the day you may call for an Injunction. You can do this twice in a game.
During the night you may hide incriminating evidence against your target
Injunction: Spoiler: All votes become anonymous and you gain an extra vote

Attributes:
Hiding evidence causes the target to show up innocent to Investigative roles
You keep a bulletproof vest under your suit which gives you Basic defense against one attack

Investigative Results:
Sheriff: Innocent
Investigator: Investigator, Consigliere, Defendant, Mayor, Tracker, or Plaguebearer
Consigliere: Your target defends criminals in court. They must be a Defendant!

Goal:
Live to see the town lose the game or have your favored faction win

Victory Conditions:
You win with Survivors
You must kill the Town
You win with the Mafia
You win with the Coven
You win with Vampires
You win with Serial Killers
You win with Werewolves
You win with Arsonists
You win with Juggernauts
You win with the Plaguebearer/Pestilence

Notifications:
Defendant
You will hide evidence that incriminates ___
You have decided to call for an Injunction today

Town
A Defendant has decided to call for an Injunction! Voting is now anonymous.

Mechanics:
Hiding evidence affects Sheriffs, Psychics, and Spies. The effects only last for 1 night
Sheriffs will see their target as innocent, even if they would normally show up as suspicious
Psychics will never see their target in their evil visions, and can see their target in good visions
Spies will not see the target's visits if they are a member of the Coven or Mafia

Achievements:
Win X games as a Defendant
Call for an Injunction and get the person on stand lynched by 1 vote
Stop a Spy from seeing the Godfather's visit
Call for an Injunction on Day 9 or later
mygma

Re: Defendant (Neutral Evil)

Postby pro1001 » Fri Dec 02, 2022 10:28 pm

Nice role idea also what would happen if the client dies
pro1001

Postby mygma » Sat Dec 03, 2022 2:18 pm

pro1001 wrote:Nice role idea also what would happen if the client dies

You don't have a specific client, you just try to help any evil win like a Witch would
mygma

Postby Poryg » Mon Dec 05, 2022 2:31 am

Someone who defends criminals at court is not a defendant, but an attorney. The charged person is the defendant.

How does the "see your favored faction win" in addition to "live to see town lose"? If your favored faction isn't town, then it's irrelevant who is your favored faction.

As for the rest... The disguiser part could work well, although I don't see the point to it, but I dislike the injuction idea. Town relies heavily on votes to scumread evils. In a 9v6 ranked situation, calling for an injuction on days 2 and 3 gives evils more than enough time to bring town down to a spot where they have equal numbers quite consistently.
Poryg
Witch
Witch

Postby SkyW » Mon Dec 05, 2022 12:11 pm

Deploying Anti-Sheriff Ability, I repeat, Deploying Anti-Sheriff Ability. Over.

Copy that, screwing the Sheriff. Hold on, multiple hostiles appear to be in the premises, it appears that the Sheriff has a mother. I'll screw her too. Over.

There's two ways this role can go:

"Oh, votes are anonymous. Anyways vote up 5."
"Oh, there's an injuction. I guess we just talk today."

Bonus vote has no real impact until late game. With no way of knowing who the mafia is, the defendant can easily be trolled into being the deciding bonus vote on hanging a mafia.

Making votes anonymous doesn't really make much of a difference, it just allows all members of the mafia to vote innocent. Thing is, if the town wants blood early game, 3 votes won't do much. The mafia just won't be exposing themselves for voting inno, that's all. 3 Inno votes versus 5 guilty is still a hanging. If they do manage to get a fellow member of the mafia acquitted on the stand, a ballsy vigilante or jailor can just go "welp everyone wanted them to hang I'll do it myself, damn defendant." Really, best case scenario, a little bit of time is wasted.

My favorite mechanic in Town of Salem: "Fuck the Sheriff." Yes, it also hides stuff from psychics (a fundamentally broken role, to which the psychic will simply receive information about someone else) and spy's (who will see if mafia killed someone they didn't visit, and then instantly know there's a defendant), however it still makes the Sheriff an even more useless role. Sheriffs are already the most unreliable form of evidence gathering given the existence of framers, disguisers, godfathers, WW's sometimes, Arsonists, and Witch's. They're also the least trusted, given how easily the role can be claimed, and how commonly it's claimed by executioners. We really don't need another role dogpiling on the poor guy. Still not believing anything a sheriff ever says.
Professional ??? Rambler (average NYC subway rider)

There is a frog outside go check it out please it's such a cool frog
SkyW
Jester
Jester

Location: West Philadelphia born and raised On the playground was where I spent most of my days Chillin' out

Postby mygma » Mon Dec 05, 2022 5:29 pm

Poryg wrote:Someone who defends criminals at court is not a defendant, but an attorney. The charged person is the defendant.

How does the "see your favored faction win" in addition to "live to see town lose"? If your favored faction isn't town, then it's irrelevant who is your favored faction.

As for the rest... The disguiser part could work well, although I don't see the point to it, but I dislike the injuction idea. Town relies heavily on votes to scumread evils. In a 9v6 ranked situation, calling for an injuction on days 2 and 3 gives evils more than enough time to bring town down to a spot where they have equal numbers quite consistently.

that's in case you die, so either you live and see town lose, or you die and hope the faction you side with (can't be town because you're evil) wins
mygma

Return to Role Ideas