Guardian Angel Rework

Suggest new roles or changes to current roles for the game here.

Guardian Angel Rework

Postby scarfves » Thu Nov 24, 2022 8:30 pm

Why rework the Guardian Angel?:

The Guardian Angel is a role that doesn't live up to what it should be. Because the Guardian Angel has self-confirming potential due to their ability and also the attribute to turn into a Survivor when they would have lost, the most common way they win is by just becoming a different role instead. However, playing as the Guardian Angel can be frustrating due to a lack of night abilities to make plays or having some input besides sidelining votes. There are also some other gripes like how Guardian Angels really should be hidden until necessary instead of outing themselves to their target D2, to make it more inline with the character. This rework page aims to give the Guardian Angel more power for defending their target

Guardian Angel changes:

Your win condition is now changed, alongside requiring your target to be alive, they must also have won the game at the end.
A free Protect is used on your target night 1.
Your priority has been upgraded from 3 to 1. (Due to the Roleblock and Control Immunity this role can now provide, but it does not make you Roleblock or Control Immune)
Your Protects have been upgraded! They now grant your target an Invincible Defence instead of Powerful Defence, additionally grants them Roleblock and Control Immunity, prevents them from being blackmailed or hypnotised, purges and prevents frames and hexes, prevents a Sheriff from seeing them as suspicious, and prevents a Psychic from selecting you as the evil target of an odd-night vision. In short; they are the ultimate form of protection against most night abilities oriented towards a negative effect.
If your target is protected from any of the actions above, they are alerted of which ones that were prevented against them. Whoever did the action is not alerted except for attackers.
Your Protects are no longer self-confirming. They don't automatically alert the target if one was used on them unless it actually protects against something it prevents. Additionally, they do not announce to the town the next day that a Guardian Angel is watching over the target, so the ability to vote them up is re-enabled, however if they are voted up, they are acquitted at the end of the trial if found guilty, only then does it confirm the Protect.
You have a new infinite-use ability: Shield!
  • At night, you may select another person other than your target to use it. This grants your target a Powerful Defence only against them, and prevents that person from seeing them as suspicious if they are a Sheriff. It also purges poison or douse if you selected the Poisoner or Arsonist that afflicted them.
  • The Shield is also not self-confirming and don't automatically alert the target unless it actually prevented something.
  • The Shield cannot be used while dead.
If your role has an inherently suicidal mechanic (Vigilante or Bodyguard), when they would die from it, you die instead and any mechanics that triggered it are reset (ex. the Vigilante no longer feels guilt and won't kill themselves again the next night).
When your target dies, you no longer become a Survivor, you straight up die the first possible instance you can at night.

That's really about it. Buffs the Guardian Angel so their protections affect a lot more negative effects against the target, and grants a weak but occasionally helpful secondary infinite-use ability to keep their game constantly rolling, however now you actually have to work towards keeping your target and their faction working, and you have no backup plan of becoming the Survivor to cheese out playing this role.
Last edited by scarfves on Wed Nov 30, 2022 6:46 pm, edited 2 times in total.
yeah, i go by qry on discord; shut up!
18 yr old hottie who got a computer from uni and will abuse it to hearts content hehehehe!

treasured ideas:
Gunslinger
Mafioso Removal + Godfather Rework
Move Plaguebearer from Neutral Chaos to Neutral Killing
Survivor Change
Saboteur
scarfves
Executioner
Executioner

Re: Guardian Angel Rework

Postby syjfwbaobfwl » Thu Nov 24, 2022 8:38 pm

I like it, altho needing your target both to win and live is too much, sure. If they live they most likely won but still
syjfwbaobfwl
Jailor
Jailor

Postby scarfves » Thu Nov 24, 2022 9:34 pm

syjfwbaobfwl wrote:I like it, altho needing your target both to win and live is too much, sure. If they live they most likely won but still

I mean in most cases, the role will die should they not obtain their goal lore-wise. It mostly prevents you winning by virtue of the stalemate detector ending the game early.
18 yr old hottie who got a computer from uni and will abuse it to hearts content hehehehe!

treasured ideas:
Gunslinger
Survivor Change
Saboteur
scarfves
Executioner
Executioner

Postby Soulshade55r » Fri Nov 25, 2022 8:29 am

I think I'd change a few things about Guardian Angel in it's current form to make it more fun and interactive

>Removing the guardian Angel day message completely & blocking votes, Removing the night message (Unless successful).
>Protecting a target, makes them Roleblock Immune, Night Immune to everything, Always shows up as Innocent/good to psychics (possibly having effects on other Ti's).
>Adding your shield ability, This works like Normal protect but only for that target you select (Lets say you select a mafioso, you will prevent him from attacking your target specifically),
>GA upon target dies becomes the Role of their target (In the cases of GF/MAFIOSO they will promote before any other mafia), Instead of becoming a Survivor who wins with everyone they would still need to win with their targets, Straight up dying isn't good game design in my opinion but also becoming a survivor with no vests isn't.
>Exclude certain roles Such as Jester/Executioner maybe stuff like Mayor, Vigilante, BG or Jailor as GA targets

This makes GA
1. a valid fake claim.
2. Not messing with voting phase (which should not really be a actionable thing)
3. can't become a survivor and side completely against their targets wincon.
4. Isn't insta confirmable, doesn't have to waste protect N1 as a optimal play
Favourite Roles (To play)
Spoiler: Town: Jailor
Mafia: Consort
NE: Witch
NB: Guardian Angel
Coven: Necromancer
NC: Pirate
Soulshade55r
Blackmailer
Blackmailer

Postby WaveAqualei » Fri Nov 25, 2022 9:35 am

I think GA is in need of a rework, but I think I like this version better since it removes the RNG aspect and is more simple overall.
WaveAqualei
Role Ideas Moderator
Role Ideas Moderator

Postby Soulshade55r » Fri Nov 25, 2022 12:39 pm

WaveAqualei wrote:I think GA is in need of a rework, but I think I like this version better since it removes the RNG aspect and is more simple overall.

I feel like Ga's RNG is fine because it's Pre-game

Theirs a major difference to RNG that's mid game such as a Psychic result to a role that will be win condition dependent on someone, Considering what game modes GA also appears on it doesn't seem to be a Issue that GA has some pregame RNG.
>for example a ranked gamemode with GA would be completely Unbalanced, but in a gamemode where the faction numbers are already randomized such as all any GA is perfectly fine (In the sense that it has a predetermind goal, current GA has Issues outside that).

EDIT:
Also I think the GA suggested there has the problem that GA will always target confirmed town members if they could target other players.
Soulshade55r
Blackmailer
Blackmailer

Postby WaveAqualei » Fri Nov 25, 2022 1:12 pm

Soulshade55r wrote:
WaveAqualei wrote:I think GA is in need of a rework, but I think I like this version better since it removes the RNG aspect and is more simple overall.

Theirs a major difference to RNG that's mid game such as a Psychic result to a role that will be win condition dependent on someone, Considering what game modes GA also appears on it doesn't seem to be a Issue that GA has some pregame RNG.
>for example a ranked gamemode with GA would be completely Unbalanced, but in a gamemode where the faction numbers are already randomized such as all any GA is perfectly fine (In the sense that it has a predetermind goal, current GA has Issues outside that).

EDIT:
Also I think the GA suggested there has the problem that GA will always target confirmed town members if they could target other players.

GA's RNG is not fine because that is what makes the role not a true Neutral Benign. If it were a Neutral Chaos role I'd be fine with it, but otherwise... no.
WaveAqualei
Role Ideas Moderator
Role Ideas Moderator

Postby scarfves » Fri Nov 25, 2022 5:04 pm

WaveAqualei wrote:
Soulshade55r wrote:

EDIT:

GA's RNG is not fine because that is what makes the role not a true Neutral Benign. If it were a Neutral Chaos role I'd be fine with it, but otherwise... no.

It's literally in the name 'Benign', GA fits in there pretty well I'd say. NC are for reserved for roles that can be attributed to being Benign where they have their own goals separated from factions, but have abilities that can throw the balance of a game on it's head (i.e Vamp's conversions and Pirate's Powerful Attacks, I don't consider plague-bearer NC so no comment).
Also removing the GA's RNG and allowing him to pick a target (especially during a mid-game intro) just makes him a better amnesiac-esque role who can hide amongst the town way easily.

treasured ideas:
Gunslinger
Survivor Change
Saboteur
scarfves
Executioner
Executioner

Postby Soulshade55r » Fri Nov 25, 2022 5:36 pm

WaveAqualei wrote:
Soulshade55r wrote:

EDIT:

Ga is a true benign but in a different sense to Survivor, GA from game to game will never be sided with the same faction, eitherway "a true benign" has never been defined and the fact that GA has been accepted under benign means it is in it's current form a "true benign" also unlike Jester/exe, where theirs actual swing and balance problems, Neutral benign is always never going to be a ranked or competitive role so theirs no balance issues.

The bigger issue isn't even that GA is "defined a neutral benign", it could even be moved to NC nothing would change about the current game, but the issue with the rework that you suggested would lead to GA to always choosing a confirmed townie who's likely protected early on, I think that would lead to more issues down the line then ga not fitting your definition of neutral benign.
Soulshade55r
Blackmailer
Blackmailer

Postby WaveAqualei » Fri Nov 25, 2022 7:00 pm

Soulshade55r wrote:
WaveAqualei wrote:
Soulshade55r wrote:

EDIT:

Ga is a true benign but in a different sense to Survivor, GA from game to game will never be sided with the same faction, eitherway "a true benign" has never been defined and the fact that GA has been accepted under benign means it is in it's current form a "true benign" also unlike Jester/exe, where theirs actual swing and balance problems, Neutral benign is always never going to be a ranked or competitive role so theirs no balance issues.

The bigger issue isn't even that GA is "defined a neutral benign", it could even be moved to NC nothing would change about the current game, but the issue with the rework that you suggested would lead to GA to always choosing a confirmed townie who's likely protected early on, I think that would lead to more issues down the line then ga not fitting your definition of neutral benign.

Neutral Benigns have the ability to win with anyone, and GA is not that at all. Just because it becomes a Survivor doesn't make it a Neutral Benign.
NBs can't even appear outside of Chaos Gamemodes anyway. And a GA's target becomes more of a threat since evils can kill two birds with one stone if the target dies or gets lynched, the GA will also die.
WaveAqualei
Role Ideas Moderator
Role Ideas Moderator

Postby scarfves » Fri Nov 25, 2022 10:16 pm

WaveAqualei wrote:
Soulshade55r wrote:
WaveAqualei wrote:
Soulshade55r wrote:

EDIT:

Neutral Benigns have the ability to win with anyone, and GA is not that at all. Just because it becomes a Survivor doesn't make it a Neutral Benign.
NBs can't even appear outside of Chaos Gamemodes anyway. And a GA's target becomes more of a threat since evils can kill two birds with one stone if the target dies or gets lynched, the GA will also die.

NBs and NCs border a very similar line, if what you said is law, then the Executioner, Jester, and Pirate all fit NB, and the Amnesiac goes into NC. Also I don't see whats the problem with the two-birds-one-stone part since the Guardian Angel will make their target and very hard bird to kill.

treasured ideas:
Gunslinger
Survivor Change
Saboteur
scarfves
Executioner
Executioner

Postby syjfwbaobfwl » Sat Nov 26, 2022 6:26 am

Amne is 100% NB, it can choose a side and win with anyone

Pirate and jest could be NB but their abilities and goals are too harmful to fall under "benign"
syjfwbaobfwl
Jailor
Jailor

Postby scarfves » Sat Nov 26, 2022 11:44 am

syjfwbaobfwl wrote:Amne is 100% NB, it can choose a side and win with anyone

Pirate and jest could be NB but their abilities and goals are too harmful to fall under "benign"

True words, man

treasured ideas:
Gunslinger
Survivor Change
Saboteur
scarfves
Executioner
Executioner

Postby DragoWhooves » Sun Nov 27, 2022 7:31 am

How about making it so if your target leaves D1/N1 (without being posioned, attacked, or otherwise killed) then you get a new random target?
Maybe even extend to D2 as long as your taget isn't put up on the stand
DragoWhooves
Lookout
Lookout

Postby scarfves » Sun Nov 27, 2022 11:38 am

DragoWhooves wrote:How about making it so if your target leaves D1/N1 (without being posioned, attacked, or otherwise killed) then you get a new random target?
Maybe even extend to D2 as long as your taget isn't put up on the stand

I'll later edit it so there's a clause if your target leaves the game at any time.

treasured ideas:
Gunslinger
Survivor Change
Saboteur
scarfves
Executioner
Executioner

Postby Soulshade55r » Sun Nov 27, 2022 8:11 pm

WaveAqualei wrote:Neutral Benigns have the ability to win with anyone, and GA is not that at all. Just because it becomes a Survivor doesn't make it a Neutral Benign.

Again you're making up definitions here, CLEARLY the devs do see Ga's win-condition as benign, It doesn't matter what your made up term you use for benign, I also think GA's a "benign" role because of the fact from game to game a ga isn't going to be sided with one faction or another.

if the target dies or gets lynched, the GA will also die.

Yeah no that's not fun for anyone to die because their target died, your solution here doesn't really "fix" as auto dying in game isn't a good game mech in the first place.

Your solution leads to a lot of issues.
>Like I said before GA choosing a target will 99% of the time (if they want to win), select a confirmed townie, who's also likely going to be stacked with protection. (Beyond that in game people will also just target their friends).

Your issue here is "Definitions" which could be solved by just putting GA on Neutral Chaos or stay as benign and literally the game would be the exact same, I do believe GA shouldn't become a Survivor it's a really stupid mech and I also believe Ga's shouldn't be confirmable, but again your main arguments revolve around GA "fitting under benign" when it doesn't even matter or effects anything in the game beyond that you do not get to decide how a role types wincon works, using that as the basis of your argument only and having it as your only reason makes no sense.
Soulshade55r
Blackmailer
Blackmailer

Postby WaveAqualei » Sun Nov 27, 2022 8:52 pm

Soulshade55r wrote:
WaveAqualei wrote:Neutral Benigns have the ability to win with anyone, and GA is not that at all. Just because it becomes a Survivor doesn't make it a Neutral Benign.

Again you're making up definitions here, CLEARLY the devs do see Ga's win-condition as benign, It doesn't matter what your made up term you use for benign, I also think GA's a "benign" role because of the fact from game to game a ga isn't going to be sided with one faction or another.

It's still not a true Neutral Benign.
It IS sided with one faction if its target is a factional role. You're meant to win as your current role, not what you can become later in the game. Killing your target and trying to win as a Survivor is throwing.

Yeah no that's not fun for anyone to die because their target died, your solution here doesn't really "fix" as auto dying in game isn't a good game mech in the first place.

>Like I said before GA choosing a target will 99% of the time (if they want to win), select a confirmed townie, who's also likely going to be stacked with protection. (Beyond that in game people will also just target their friends).

Your issue here is "Definitions" which could be solved by just putting GA on Neutral Chaos or stay as benign and literally the game would be the exact same, I do believe GA shouldn't become a Survivor it's a really stupid mech and I also believe Ga's shouldn't be confirmable, but again your main arguments revolve around GA "fitting under benign" when it doesn't even matter or effects anything in the game beyond that you do not get to decide how a role types wincon works, using that as the basis of your argument only and having it as your only reason makes no sense.

Even if my logic were invalid (it is not), what is wrong with GA being reworked where it's more acceptable as a role?
WaveAqualei
Role Ideas Moderator
Role Ideas Moderator

Postby Soulshade55r » Sun Nov 27, 2022 11:18 pm

WaveAqualei wrote:
Soulshade55r wrote:

It's still not a true Neutral Benign.
It IS sided with one faction if its target is a factional role. You're meant to win as your current role, not what you can become later in the game. Killing your target and trying to win as a Survivor is throwing.

Even if my logic were invalid (it is not), what is wrong with GA being reworked where it's more acceptable as a role?

You must of not read anything if you don't know the issue with GA selecting targets.
You can't make up definitions for Neutral benign, the devs have put GA in neutral benign (so if you like it or not they defined and thought of it as benign), Your Issue is the "benign" name tag not the balance behind GA, which mind you is currently bad, but your solution likely makes it worse and bad to play with dying.

GA having a random target isn't a balance issue or example of "bad rng" because it's target is selected pregame.
Soulshade55r
Blackmailer
Blackmailer

Postby WaveAqualei » Mon Nov 28, 2022 3:28 pm

Soulshade55r wrote:
WaveAqualei wrote:Even if my logic were invalid (it is not), what is wrong with GA being reworked where it's more acceptable as a role?

You must of not read anything if you don't know the issue with GA selecting targets.
You can't make up definitions for Neutral benign, the devs have put GA in neutral benign (so if you like it or not they defined and thought of it as benign), Your Issue is the "benign" name tag not the balance behind GA, which mind you is currently bad, but your solution likely makes it worse and bad to play with dying.

GA having a random target isn't a balance issue or example of "bad rng" because it's target is selected pregame.

GA selecting the targets is the same as Amnesiac choosing a dead role to remember.
WaveAqualei
Role Ideas Moderator
Role Ideas Moderator

Postby Soulshade55r » Mon Nov 28, 2022 6:11 pm

WaveAqualei wrote:
Soulshade55r wrote:
WaveAqualei wrote:Even if my logic were invalid (it is not), what is wrong with GA being reworked where it's more acceptable as a role?

GA selecting the targets is the same as Amnesiac choosing a dead role to remember.

And? I don't want another role to be encouraged to side town (Amne already is as its instant confirmed like GA). Leave "selecting a role/faction to become" to amnesiac
Soulshade55r
Blackmailer
Blackmailer

Postby WaveAqualei » Mon Nov 28, 2022 6:53 pm

Soulshade55r wrote:
WaveAqualei wrote:
Soulshade55r wrote:

And? I don't want another role to be encouraged to side town (Amne already is as its instant confirmed like GA). Leave "selecting a role/faction to become" to amnesiac

GA would have it much harder since if your target dies at all then you lose the game.
If you don't want to be encouraged to side with Town then don't publicly claim GA.
WaveAqualei
Role Ideas Moderator
Role Ideas Moderator

Postby Soulshade55r » Mon Nov 28, 2022 7:32 pm

WaveAqualei wrote:
Soulshade55r wrote:
WaveAqualei wrote:
Soulshade55r wrote:

GA would have it much harder since if your target dies at all then you lose the game.
If you don't want to be encouraged to side with Town then don't publicly claim GA.

Self dying because your target dies isn't good for the game, it creates another issue with being unfun and unfair
If I don't want? no I'm talking about your average TOS player they will go for the easy win with town. Especially if someone gets confirmed early (Like a Mayor or Jailor), We already have a role that chooses a side.
Soulshade55r
Blackmailer
Blackmailer

Postby WaveAqualei » Mon Nov 28, 2022 8:32 pm

Soulshade55r wrote:
WaveAqualei wrote:GA would have it much harder since if your target dies at all then you lose the game.

Self dying because your target dies isn't good for the game, it creates another issue with being unfun and unfair
If I don't want? no I'm talking about your average TOS player they will go for the easy win with town. Especially if someone gets confirmed early (Like a Mayor or Jailor), We already have a role that chooses a side.

Would you rather the target just lose and not die? Then the player is forced to stay in the game and vote.
WaveAqualei
Role Ideas Moderator
Role Ideas Moderator

Postby Soulshade55r » Mon Nov 28, 2022 9:18 pm

WaveAqualei wrote:
Soulshade55r wrote:
WaveAqualei wrote:GA would have it much harder since if your target dies at all then you lose the game.

Would you rather the target just lose and not die? Then the player is forced to stay in the game and vote.

Neither becoming a survivor or dying is the solution, Ga should win with their original target if they die.
Soulshade55r
Blackmailer
Blackmailer

Postby WaveAqualei » Tue Nov 29, 2022 10:46 am

Soulshade55r wrote:
WaveAqualei wrote:
Soulshade55r wrote:

Neither becoming a survivor or dying is the solution, Ga should win with their original target if they die.

That is closer to Amnesiac than what was suggested…
WaveAqualei
Role Ideas Moderator
Role Ideas Moderator

Next

Return to Role Ideas