[REWORK] Lawyer (Town Support)

Suggest new roles or changes to current roles for the game here.

[REWORK] Lawyer (Town Support)

Postby MikeMadness » Tue Oct 19, 2021 10:29 pm

So...I'm reworking my idea for Lawyer...

Alignment: Town (Support)
Abilities: During the night, you can read someone's Last Will

Attack: None
Defense: None

Attributes:

- Your target will not be notified their last will was read.
- You can not edit your target's Last Will, but can copy and paste it.
- You will know the role of a cleaned or stoned person

Investigative Results:

Investigator: Your target is an Investigator, Consigliere, Mayor, Tracker, Plaguebearer or Lawyer
Consigliere: Your target is the public defender of the Town. They must be a Lawyer!
Witch/CL: You see your target reading last wills for the Town. They must be a Lawyer!
Sheriff: You find no evidence of wrongdoing. Your target seems innocent.

Role Independent Achievements:

Acquittal: Win 1 game as Lawyer
Public Defender: Win 5 games as Lawyer
District Attorney: Win 10 games as Lawyer
Perry Mason: Win 25 games as Lawyer

Role Dependent Achievements:

Dictation: Read someone's Last Will
Busy Bee: Read 5 Last Wills in one game
It's Blank: Read A Last Will With No Information

Notifications:

None

Pros:

- Alternate way to find Mafia/Neutral
- Can be useful in Janitor/Medusa games with no Medium as it will be able to reveal the roles of Janitor/Medusa targets
- Evils are forced to have good last wills

Cons:

- Does not confirm Townies/evils
- May come across bad players with poor will writing skills
MikeMadness

Re: [REWORK] Lawyer (Town Support)

Postby SatouKai » Wed Oct 20, 2021 9:24 pm

This would be an interesting way to encourage evils to write fake wills. Plus, since Jailor is currently the only Town role to get players' claims at night, this could make the ability available to another townie (like how vigis can also kill and escs can also roleblock, but with more limitations than the Jailor). As long as they could only see wills from the prior night and not anything written that day or being written at night in real time, this would be cool.

I think reading a role or will of a cleaned/forged person should take a night action. And that it should only show you their will, not their role, so that it leaves that ability exclusive to a Medium and allows for discord if an evil role is forged or cleaned. Would definitely allow dead chat to play a larger role in games, too!
~共秋(Gongqiu)/Dexter [SatouKai on ToS]
SatouKai
Executioner
Executioner

Postby Ezradekezra » Wed Oct 20, 2021 10:19 pm

I don't like that it basically forces evils to keep their fake wills in the last will box instead of in the notepad, where it isn't easily retrievable upon the evil's death
Ezradekezra
Halloween 2020 Winner
Halloween 2020 Winner

Postby Salocin481 » Sat Oct 23, 2021 10:42 pm

I think I support this role! I would like to ask if you choose who's role to read during the day (so you can read it at night), or during the night (so you can read it during the day). I feel like if the role needs to be stronger, make it a day ability, otherwise a night ability.

I think it's kinda lame how many evils have no last will/don't keep them updated. This would encourage more evils to have a fakeclaim ready to go. That being said, it does mean that keeping multiple wills becomes trickier in a limited space. I use my last will to keep 3-4 wills and my notes to keep track of claims. Trying to shove all that stuff in notes would be tricky...

How would this role react to being Witched? Can LO/Tracker see Lawyer visits?
Salocin481

Postby cob709 » Sun Oct 24, 2021 12:44 am

imo this role is too confirmable.
I suggest making it unique.
I SEE ALL
cob709
Mayor
Mayor

Postby MikeMadness » Wed Nov 03, 2021 3:31 pm

Salocin481 wrote:I think I support this role! I would like to ask if you choose who's role to read during the day (so you can read it at night), or during the night (so you can read it during the day). I feel like if the role needs to be stronger, make it a day ability, otherwise a night ability.

I think it's kinda lame how many evils have no last will/don't keep them updated. This would encourage more evils to have a fakeclaim ready to go. That being said, it does mean that keeping multiple wills becomes trickier in a limited space. I use my last will to keep 3-4 wills and my notes to keep track of claims. Trying to shove all that stuff in notes would be tricky...

How would this role react to being Witched? Can LO/Tracker see Lawyer visits?

LOs and Trackers would be able to see Lawyer visits. As to how it would react to Witch...I'm considering making it immune to Witch. The messages would read...

Lawyer's side: 'A Witch tried to control you, but your moral compass is too strong!'
Witch's side: 'You tried to control someone, but their moral compass is too strong!'
MikeMadness

Return to Role Ideas