Caporegime (Mafia Head)

Suggest new roles or changes to current roles for the game here.

Caporegime (Mafia Head)

Postby Benn3 » Mon Jul 12, 2021 4:02 pm

Caporegime
Attack: None | Defense: None
Unique

Alignment -
Mafia (Head)

Abilities -
-Train a non-Mafia member each night
-Choose your trained targets at night to use their reserved abilities

Attributes -
-You may select which Mafia ability you wish to make your trainee hold onto
-When you select a trainee, you may select a second target for them to use their ability on
-You do not have a limit on how many trainees you can order at the same time
-Trained players will become untrained after you use them
-You may only have one Mafioso and Ambusher trained at the same time
-You can not train a player into a Godfather
-Ordering a trained Mafia(Killing) will have the real Mafia(Killing) stay home once ordered

Goal -
Kill all who will not submit to the Mafia.

Notifications
Caporegime:
You have decided to train [Position] into a [Mafia Role] tonight.
You have decided to make [Position] distract [Position] tonight.
You have decided to make [Position] kill [Position] tonight.
You have decided to make [Position] size up [Position] tonight.
You have decided to make [Position] blackmail [Position] tonight.
You have decided to make [Position] forge [Position] tonight.
You have decided to make [Position] clean [Position] tonight.
You have decided to make [Position] frame [Position] tonight.
You have decided to make [Position] hypnotize [Position] tonight.
You have decided to make [Position] disguise [Position] as [Position] tonight.
You have decided to make [Position] ambush anybody visiting [Position] tonight.

Player:
A Caporegime ordered you to visit somebody last night!

Spy:
Your target was ordered by a Caporegime!

Additional Information

-Training somebody DOES NOT convert them to the Mafia. It allows the Caporegime to force them into using one of the Mafia's role abilities; one that he can choose upon training them.
-When selecting a trained target to use, you will then be able to select a second target, which is the target you will order them to visit and use their trained ability on
-A good strategy would be to train as many people as you can so you can use them all at once
-You cannot train a revealed Mayor

Investigative Results -
Sheriff: Your target is suspicious!
Investigator: Your target could be a Bodyguard, Godfather, Arsonist, or Caporegime.
Consigliere: Your target secretly trains people into working for organized crime. They must be a Caporegime.

Achievements -

Spoiler: The General -
Win one game as a Caporegime

Chicken Test -
Train 4 people in one game

Leader -
Order 10 players to visit on the same night

Two Birds, One Stone, Again? -
Order a trained Mafioso into getting killed by a Bodyguard

It Was Him! -
Order a trained Ambusher into being caught preparing an ambush

Do Your Job -
Order a trained Consort into role blocking a Jailor that's about to execute a member of the Mafia

I Meant The Window -
Order a trained Framer into framing somebody on the same night a Sheriff checks them
Last edited by Benn3 on Wed Aug 04, 2021 10:55 pm, edited 13 times in total.
My main role concepts:

Caporegime
Spirit
Sniper
Assassin
Benn3
Executioner
Executioner

Re: Caporegime (Mafia Tactical)

Postby Brilliand » Mon Jul 12, 2021 4:08 pm

Does this also have the effect of a Vanillaizer, i.e. removing the previous abilities of the person you train?
Brilliand
Godfather
Godfather

Postby Benn3 » Mon Jul 12, 2021 4:09 pm

Brilliand wrote:Does this also have the effect of a Vanillaizer, i.e. removing the previous abilities of the person you train?

It role-blocks them from using their actual ability the night you use them, however afterwards and before you order them they'll still be able to use their ability.
My main role concepts:

Caporegime
Spirit
Sniper
Assassin
Benn3
Executioner
Executioner

Postby Ezradekezra » Mon Jul 12, 2021 4:25 pm

isn't capo supposed to be mafia head
Ezradekezra
Halloween 2020 Winner
Halloween 2020 Winner

Postby Benn3 » Mon Jul 12, 2021 4:29 pm

Ezradekezra wrote:isn't capo supposed to be mafia head

Oh, true. I'm gonna change the alignment to that rn
My main role concepts:

Caporegime
Spirit
Sniper
Assassin
Benn3
Executioner
Executioner

Re: Caporegime (Mafia Head)

Postby ak521 » Mon Jul 12, 2021 4:37 pm

I like this but idk about notifying them and roleblocking them.

I propose that
- The target can choose whoever they want to visit, not the Capo. But the Capo can target themselves to make them execute their ability.
So essentially you train a LO to be the Framer. N2 you target self, LO visits the Jailor, Jailor gets framed.
- And I wouldn't notify them.

If you do choose to incorporate my idea pls reword what I said above since it's super confusing to me lol

Regardless I want to see this added to the game.
ak521
Witch
Witch

Postby Brilliand » Mon Jul 12, 2021 4:55 pm

I am concerned this might be OP, but I'm not certain. It is, roughly, any two Mafia member it wants to be, and two copies of a clumsy sort of Consort, 1/3 of the time. 4/3 > 1, and it has its choice of powers. This is essentially guaranteed to be stronger than any non-Killing Mafia. Bonus points if it spend all of its Random Mafia choices on Ambusher, effectively becoming a killing role itself (with a side of roleblocking, and framing via the ambusher message).

The notification to the trained player helps nerf the Caporegime somewhat, but I doubt it's sufficient.
Last edited by Brilliand on Mon Jul 12, 2021 4:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Brilliand
Godfather
Godfather

Postby ak521 » Mon Jul 12, 2021 4:57 pm

Also I think the mafia killing portion needs to be seriously revised.
Roleblocking your own team which is what it is in somewhat of a nutshell is not a healthy addition to the game.
ak521
Witch
Witch

Postby Benn3 » Mon Jul 12, 2021 5:02 pm

ak521 wrote:Also I think the mafia killing portion needs to be seriously revised.
Roleblocking your own team which is what it is in somewhat of a nutshell is not a healthy addition to the game.

You don't RB them. You make the trained Mafioso/Ambusher visit instead of the actual Mafioso/Ambusher, meaning they will still kill however if a Lookout is watching, they'll see the trained Mafia Killing visit and think that they killed them. It works as a way to frame players along with keeping your Mafia Killing safe from detection. The only player you 'role block' is the player you order to actually do the killing, which is a Town member.
My main role concepts:

Caporegime
Spirit
Sniper
Assassin
Benn3
Executioner
Executioner

Postby Benn3 » Mon Jul 12, 2021 5:06 pm

Brilliand wrote:I am concerned this might be OP, but I'm not certain. It is, roughly, any two Mafia member it wants to be, and two copies of a clumsy sort of Consort, 1/3 of the time. 4/3 > 1, and it has its choice of powers. This is essentially guaranteed to be stronger than any non-Killing Mafia. Bonus points if it spend all of its Random Mafia choices on Ambusher, effectively becoming a killing role itself (with a side of roleblocking, and framing via the ambusher message).

The notification to the trained player helps nerf the Caporegime somewhat, but I doubt it's sufficient.

At first glance, yes. But, they have to spend a night training ONE person, while the other Mafia roles can consistently use their ability every night. It's not a good strategy to just train, use, train, use. It's more about training as many players as you can before you actually order them to do something. I may remove the role blocking aspect though and just have the player they order perform their actual ability AND the trained ability.
My main role concepts:

Caporegime
Spirit
Sniper
Assassin
Benn3
Executioner
Executioner

Postby Ezradekezra » Mon Jul 12, 2021 5:50 pm

It's my understanding that this is the same Capo that's been used for years in ToSFM so I'm fine with it as-is
Ezradekezra
Halloween 2020 Winner
Halloween 2020 Winner

Postby Benn3 » Mon Jul 12, 2021 5:55 pm

Ezradekezra wrote:It's my understanding that this is the same Capo that's been used for years in ToSFM so I'm fine with it as-is

I thought the one in FM was the one that could retrain their Mafia members into a different role, but that was it.
My main role concepts:

Caporegime
Spirit
Sniper
Assassin
Benn3
Executioner
Executioner

Postby Ezradekezra » Mon Jul 12, 2021 5:57 pm

Benn3 wrote:
Ezradekezra wrote:It's my understanding that this is the same Capo that's been used for years in ToSFM so I'm fine with it as-is

I thought the one in FM was the one that could retrain their Mafia members into a different role, but that was it.

Oh wait I misread the post

I thought it was able other Mafia members, not Townies

I think it's kinda OP in that case as it's basically a Consort+Ambusher combined at its best (at least that's how I'd play it)
Ezradekezra
Halloween 2020 Winner
Halloween 2020 Winner

Postby Brilliand » Mon Jul 12, 2021 11:28 pm

Benn3 wrote:
Brilliand wrote:I am concerned this might be OP, but I'm not certain. It is, roughly, any two Mafia member it wants to be, and two copies of a clumsy sort of Consort, 1/3 of the time. 4/3 > 1, and it has its choice of powers. This is essentially guaranteed to be stronger than any non-Killing Mafia. Bonus points if it spend all of its Random Mafia choices on Ambusher, effectively becoming a killing role itself (with a side of roleblocking, and framing via the ambusher message).

At first glance, yes. But, they have to spend a night training ONE person, while the other Mafia roles can consistently use their ability every night. It's not a good strategy to just train, use, train, use. It's more about training as many players as you can before you actually order them to do something. I may remove the role blocking aspect though and just have the player they order perform their actual ability AND the trained ability.

I was actually proposing the strategy train, train, usex2, train, train, usex2. Seems like to me that that's the average of what an intelligent Caporegime would be able to pull off.

Removing the roleblocking would definitely help. I'd call it fair after that change.

Oh, but that "pick Ambusher every time" strategy... actually, since Ambusher is unique and Killing, shouldn't Ambusher has the same restriction as Mafioso? That is, using an Ambusher causes the real Ambusher (if any) to stay home, and you can only use one trained Ambusher per night.
Brilliand
Godfather
Godfather

Postby Benn3 » Mon Jul 12, 2021 11:51 pm

Brilliand wrote:
Benn3 wrote:

I was actually proposing the strategy train, train, usex2, train, train, usex2. Seems like to me that that's the average of what an intelligent Caporegime would be able to pull off.

Removing the roleblocking would definitely help. I'd call it fair after that change.

Oh, but that "pick Ambusher every time" strategy... actually, since Ambusher is unique and Killing, shouldn't Ambusher has the same restriction as Mafioso? That is, using an Ambusher causes the real Ambusher (if any) to stay home, and you can only use one trained Ambusher per night.

Yes. If you use a trained Ambusher the real one(if there is one) will stay home.
My main role concepts:

Caporegime
Spirit
Sniper
Assassin
Benn3
Executioner
Executioner

Postby Brilliand » Tue Jul 13, 2021 1:38 am

I'm pretty happy with the role now, balance-wise.

It might have some UI issues - imagine if you're trying to use a Forger and two Hypnotists at the same time. What would the UI for that look like? Controlling three different people to three different targets with three different menu choices to determine the effects (one of which includes a forged will) could get very messy.
Brilliand
Godfather
Godfather

Postby runningwiththepower » Tue Jul 13, 2021 2:00 pm

This is kinda similar to: viewtopic.php?f=27&t=63934#p2045844

Except yours seems temporary if I am understanding it right.
runningwiththepower

Postby Brilliand » Tue Jul 13, 2021 6:16 pm

runningwiththepower wrote:This is kinda similar to: viewtopic.php?f=27&t=63934#p2045844

It isn't that similar. Similar theme, but very different implementation. The official FM caporegime targets a Mafia member, permanently changing that player's role and allowing them to use the new role. Benn3's version attaches charges to townies, building up power in the form of Mafia-role-actions that the Caporegime can then unleash all at once. Those townies are unaffected by the Mafia-role-action charge and have no control over it, except that if they die the charge is lost.
Brilliand
Godfather
Godfather

Postby runningwiththepower » Tue Jul 13, 2021 7:38 pm

Brilliand wrote:
runningwiththepower wrote:This is kinda similar to: viewtopic.php?f=27&t=63934#p2045844

It isn't that similar. Similar theme, but very different implementation. The official FM caporegime targets a Mafia member, permanently changing that player's role and allowing them to use the new role. Benn3's version attaches charges to townies, building up power in the form of Mafia-role-actions that the Caporegime can then unleash all at once. Those townies are unaffected by the Mafia-role-action charge and have no control over it, except that if they die the charge is lost.

Brilliand answer my DM on Discord!!!!
runningwiththepower

Postby Brilliand » Tue Jul 13, 2021 11:21 pm

runningwiththepower wrote:Brilliand answer my DM on Discord!!!!

Uh, okay.

FYI I only open DIscord when I'm looking for something specific there - it isn't a good way to contact me in general.
Brilliand
Godfather
Godfather

Postby Benn3 » Wed Aug 04, 2021 8:41 pm

8/4/21 Updates:

- Training is now silent
-Specified that you can use as many trainees as you want during the night
- Slight description edits
My main role concepts:

Caporegime
Spirit
Sniper
Assassin
Benn3
Executioner
Executioner

Postby ak521 » Fri Aug 06, 2021 4:04 pm

My only suggestion would be to not allow Capo to train players into Mafia Killing. Otherwise it's a really fun role as I've said before.
ak521
Witch
Witch

Postby MorganTheMod » Fri Aug 06, 2021 10:29 pm

yeah, the fact that the regular MK cant attack when a trained MK is attacking is balanced, but I feel like it would just be simpler to only allow MS and MD's to be trained so that the regular mafia killing isn't disrupted. Otherwise i say this is pretty good.
Im usually named Yippie if you ever want to greet me in game
I have some role ideas floating around if you wanna check them out ;)(and more to come!)
MorganTheMod
Amnesiac
Amnesiac

Return to Role Ideas