Ritualist (Coven Evil)

Suggest new roles or changes to current roles for the game here.

Ritualist?

Ready for testing
No votes
Needs a buff
No votes
Needs a nerf
No votes
Necronomicon ability needs to be edited
100%
Needs major edits
No votes

Total votes : 1

Ritualist (Coven Evil)

Postby MorganTheMod » Mon Jul 01, 2019 6:37 am

Role Name:
Ritualist [in need of a better name]

Role Alignment:
Coven(Evil)

Abilities:
You may choose one person to mark.

Attributes:
You may only have one person marked at a time. As this target is alive, a Grimoire will be released to the Coven, using the life force of the Marked to buff a coven member. The Grimoire will be released on the second night of the Marks existence.
If the marked target lives for 3 nights after being marked, (4 total) the Grimoire will turn into a second Necronomicon and the target will be sacrificed that night.
After a target is sacrificed you may Mark a new target.
You may take a night to choose a new target to Mark, removing the previous Mark and resetting the timer. (credit: PleaseReadSeige)
With the Necronomicon, you may perform your own sacrificial Rituals, gaining power based on the magnitude of your sacrifices the night prior.

Goal:
Kill all who stand in the way of the Coven.

Win Conditions:
Standard Coven win conditions.

Notifications:
Spoiler: You have decided to mark [target].
Your marking was unsuccessful.
You have been sacrificed by the Ritualist! (Sent at end of the night when someone was successfully sacrificed.)
You have decided to perform a Ritual at [target]'s house.
You sacrificed [#] people during your Ritual last night, you have received [ability].
A Grimoire has been released and given to [Name]! (Message shown to Coven)
A Grimoire has been released to the Coven! (Shown to town, similar to Necronomicon message in the morning)
The Coven has lost the Grimoire! (Shown to town in the morning when the Marked target is killed at night, or before nightfall, just after the Marked target is lynched (same time jester message would show).
A Grimoire has been passed to [Name]! (When Grimoire is given to another member of the Coven)

Special Attributes / Notes:
Spoiler: Ritualist must be alive for the marked person to be sacrificed, but a Grimoire will still be released if the Ritualist is dead, the target just has to be marked. If a marked target outlives the Ritualist, the Grimoire will stay as long as they are alive. They will not be sacrificed if the Ritualist is not alive during the 4th night.
The town will be notified that a Grimoire has been released the morning after the target is Marked (day before the Grimoire is released, same as NCNMCN)
The investigative result of the Marked target will change to that of a Ritualist. (This will make it harder to keep the target alive)
If the Marked target dies, the Ritualist will be allowed to Mark another target the next night.
If the Marked target is lynched the Ritualist will be able to Mark another person that night.
The Ritualist can choose to Mark a new target, which will reset the 4 day timer. They will not have to expend a night 'unmarking' a person, they simply just mark a new target and the old target's mark is automatically removed. The old targets investigative result will go back to normal that night.
If the new target dies that night and the Marking is unsuccessful, the old target's mark will not be removed.
The night that the target is marked will count as the first night, so someone marked N1 will be sacrificed N4 if they are still alive.
The town will not know a person was marked until sacrificed. If they die before the sacrifice, they will not know.
The target will not be notified that they were Marked so that they do not bait or ask to be killed or lynched.
The Coven Leader will never have a Grimoire. They are loyal only to the Necronomicon.
A Guardian Angel's protection will stop a player from being sacrificed or initially Marked, but will not remove a Mark already in place. (Because they want the player to stay alive and the Mark also wants that.)
A sacrifice deals a Powerful attack. If the target is healed, the Ritualist will attempt to sacrifice the target the next night, with an Unstoppable attack, using the built up energy of a 5th night.
The player must have successfully lived through the fourth night, other than the sacrifice. Meaning if a Serial Killer kills the Marked target on the fourth night, the sacrifice will be unsuccessful, and the Grimoire will not become a second Necronomicon.
The Grimoire will be released on the 2nd night of the marks existence. If the target was marked on n1, the Grimoire message will display to the town D2 and will be given to the coven at the beginning of N2. If the target died that N1, obviously the Grimoire would not be released. If the target dies N2, the Coven will still recieve the benefits of the Grimoire N2, but it would be lost D3.
The effects of the Mark set in the night that the target is Marked, meaning the investigative results are changed immediately, like a Hex. If the target died, the Mark would not have set in, meaning investigative results did not change, unlike a Hex.
If the Marked target dies, that night will be the last night that the Coven will have that Grimoire. The Grimoire will disappear the next night, while the Ritualist is Marking a new target.
There will be an icon next to who is marked for the whole coven to see, similar to who is hexed.

Necronomicon ability to substitute changing roles:
Spoiler: A Grimoire is released to the Coven if there is not one already. Each night you may perform a sacrificial ritual. Choose a sacrifice to be the host of the ritual and anyone who visits them will also be sacrificed (rampage). You will be buffed based on the magnitude of your sacrifice the previous night.
(Your abilities for N5 depend on how many people you sacrificed in your Ritual on N4. Abilities stack, meaning if you Killed 2 people you receive Powerful attack and Astral visit for the next night. If you kill less people than the previous night you do not keep the higher tier abilities. Abilities only last 1 night and must be re earned through sacrifice.)
1 kill - Astral Visit.
2 kills - Powerful Attack
3 kills - Basic Defense
4 kills - Sacrifice your target's target, and anyone who targets you as well

this could also be dependent on the number of people that the entire Coven kills, or have the buffs affect the whole Coven if in need of a further buff. would prolly have to edit some of the abilities in that case

Grimoire Buffs:
Spoiler: Hex Master- Detection Immunity, investigator's and consigliere's investigative results switched to that of who possesses the Necronomicon. Sheriff will result not suspicious.
Medusa- Grants basic defense
Necromancer- Corpse history is reset. May use corpses that they have already been used once more.
Poisoner- Grants astral visits.
Potion Master- 2-night potion cooldown instead of 3
Ritualist- You may sacrifice a Marked target on their third night of being Marked. (N3 if you Marked on N1.

Investigative Results:
Sheriff- Your target is suspicious.
Investigator- You target must be a Spy, Blackmailer, Jailor, Guardian Angel, or Ritualist.
Consigliere/Coven Leader- Your target marks people for sacrifice. They must be a Ritualist!

To be clear, the Grimoire goes to the Coven member that is 2nd in line for the Necronomicon, and changes players as the Necronomicon would in the event of the holders death.

Achievements and Lore coming soon.
Last edited by MorganTheMod on Fri Aug 06, 2021 10:54 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Im usually named Yippie if you ever want to greet me in game
I have some role ideas floating around if you wanna check them out ;)(and more to come!)
MorganTheMod
Amnesiac
Amnesiac

Re: Ritualist (Coven Evil)

Postby Brilliand » Mon Jul 01, 2019 1:15 pm

Generating new Necronomicons is an interesting idea, but it needs to become more lethal after receiving the Necronomicon, not just turn into a different Coven role (that's the Mafia's thing, the Coven doesn't jump into each other's shoes).

Also, on further consideration... I'm not sure a second Necronomicon is a good idea. The purpose of the Necronomicon is to ensure that the Coven has a KPN of at least 1, even if it's reduced to 1 member. A second Necronomicon would guarantee a KPN of... 2, as long as there are at least 2 coven left? That's too much KPN, yet it doesn't help the last Coven member if the Coven is reduced to one person. So performing a difficult task to earn a second Necronomicon would tend to be "win more".
Brilliand
Godfather
Godfather

Postby PleaseReadSiege » Tue Jul 02, 2019 7:15 am

The sacrifice done on the 4th night: Can this kill ANY target? Say for example you choose a plaguebearer, and during that 4-day waiting period, they become pestilence. What happens? Pestilence is invincible, and normally can't die at night. Also, what if on the 4th night, that person is protected by a guardian angel? Will this save them from being sacrificed?

One more note: This can obviously be very tricky to execute, especially in something like coven all any. One thing that would help would be if you can change your target during the night to someone else. Doing so resets the 4-day counter obviously. This is if you feel like your target is going to die before you can sacrifice them, such as if they're a vig who is about to commit suicide. This would save you an extra night you would have to spend.
PleaseReadSiege
Investigator
Investigator

Postby MorganTheMod » Tue Jul 02, 2019 7:32 am

PleaseReadSiege wrote:The sacrifice done on the 4th night: Can this kill ANY target? Say for example you choose a plaguebearer, and during that 4-day waiting period, they become pestilence. What happens? Pestilence is invincible, and normally can't die at night. Also, what if on the 4th night, that person is protected by a guardian angel? Will this save them from being sacrificed?

One more note: This can obviously be very tricky to execute, especially in something like coven all any. One thing that would help would be if you can change your target during the night to someone else. Doing so resets the 4-day counter obviously. This is if you feel like your target is going to die before you can sacrifice them, such as if they're a vig who is about to commit suicide. This would save you an extra night you would have to spend.

These are all good thoughts that I will make sure to elaborate on. If you can't tell I typed this out in a hurry but I will definitely edit it soon.
You bring up an interesting point with the whole switching targets idea and it sounds like a good idea. I will make sure to give you credit in the Update Log.
I have some role ideas floating around if you wanna check them out ;)(and more to come!)
MorganTheMod
Amnesiac
Amnesiac

Postby PleaseReadSiege » Tue Jul 02, 2019 8:06 am

Another question:

Does the 2nd necronomicon get passed to someone else if the holder dies? I'm wondering if for balancing reasons, it might make more sense for this 2nd necronomicon to disappear if the holder dies. In other words, only the original necronomicon can be passed to another coven member upon death.
PleaseReadSiege
Investigator
Investigator

Postby MorganTheMod » Tue Jul 02, 2019 11:44 am

Brilliand wrote:Generating new Necronomicons is an interesting idea, but it needs to become more lethal after receiving the Necronomicon, not just turn into a different Coven role (that's the Mafia's thing, the Coven doesn't jump into each other's shoes).

Also, on further consideration... I'm not sure a second Necronomicon is a good idea. The purpose of the Necronomicon is to ensure that the Coven has a KPN of at least 1, even if it's reduced to 1 member. A second Necronomicon would guarantee a KPN of... 2, as long as there are at least 2 coven left? That's too much KPN, yet it doesn't help the last Coven member if the Coven is reduced to one person. So performing a difficult task to earn a second Necronomicon would tend to be "win more".

You are definitely not wrong. The Necronomicon for most of the Coven provides them not only the ability to kill every night but also provides other buffs such as granting Detection Immunity, giving HM an astral visit, Coven Leader a basic defense, Poisoner an uncurable kill, the PM can heal and reveal each night. Remember that the second Necronomicon will only be released and have an effect in late game, given that the Ritualist picked a player that survives.

However, the Medusa, Potion Master, Necromancer, and arguably Poisoner's Necronomicon abilities are all more kill-oriented. My first solution would be to make the second Necronomicon not as good as the first (maybe call it something else too) and have it only give buffs that don't directly allow the role to kill, but just buffs the player to become a little more fortified.

The way the second Necronomicon would work is that it would provide Medusa with basic defense, PM with a 2-night cooldown rather than 3, Necromancer so they can reuse a body that they have already used once, Hex Master with detection Immunity, and Poisoner with an astral visit. The Coven Leader will never have the second Necronomicon because the Necronomicon will always come first and the Coven Leader will have that if they are alive.

A player can only have the second Necronomicon for one night before it is given to another member of the coven. One player cannot have the second Necronomicon twice, and after every member that does not possess the second Necronomicon has had it, it simply disappears.

As for the changing roles, I am not sure what to do. I personally don't see a problem with the Ritualist changing roles, but you are right in the fact that it is the Mafia's thing. I will think of some things that RItualist may be able to do after receiving the Necronomicon. I also am thinking that after the second Necronomicon is released that they will be able to Mark another player. Even if this rarely happens due to it being around n5 if the Ritualist's n1 target survives through n4. This could be their method of killing without the Necronomicon and will allow for a 'third' Necronomicon to be released if the situation so arrived around n9 to give the Coven a last minute boost if the game became that extreme. This is a super Rare situation but I think that it would be interesting to see it go down.
MorganTheMod
Amnesiac
Amnesiac

Postby Brilliand » Tue Jul 02, 2019 2:17 pm

MorganTheMod wrote:However, the Medusa, Potion Master, Necromancer, and arguably Poisoner's Necronomicon abilities are all more kill-oriented. My first solution would be to make the second Necronomicon not as good as the first (maybe call it something else too) and have it only give buffs that don't directly allow the role to kill, but just buffs the player to become a little more fortified.

The way the second Necronomicon would work is that it would provide Medusa with basic defense, PM with a 2-night cooldown rather than 3, Necromancer so they can reuse a body that they have already used once, Hex Master with detection Immunity, and Poisoner with an astral visit. The Coven Leader will never have the second Necronomicon because the Necronomicon will always come first and the Coven Leader will have that if they are alive.

If going this route, I would propose to have the Ritualist start with the second (not-Necronomicon) book, or gain it early on like the Coven Leader gains the Necronomicon.

The Ritualist would be particularly weak without any book (perhaps not able to kill at all), but would be able to transfer its book to another coven member to buff then.

MorganTheMod wrote:A player can only have the second Necronomicon for one night before it is given to another member of the coven. One player cannot have the second Necronomicon twice, and after every member that does not possess the second Necronomicon has had it, it simply disappears.

Too ephemeral imo... it's more fun if one player can use its benefits for several nights in a row.
Brilliand
Godfather
Godfather

Postby MorganTheMod » Tue Jul 02, 2019 3:04 pm

Brilliand wrote:
MorganTheMod wrote:However, the Medusa, Potion Master, Necromancer, and arguably Poisoner's Necronomicon abilities are all more kill-oriented. My first solution would be to make the second Necronomicon not as good as the first (maybe call it something else too) and have it only give buffs that don't directly allow the role to kill, but just buffs the player to become a little more fortified.

If going this route, I would propose to have the Ritualist start with the second (not-Necronomicon) book, or gain it early on like the Coven Leader gains the Necronomicon.

The Ritualist would be particularly weak without any book (perhaps not able to kill at all), but would be able to transfer its book to another coven member to buff then.

MorganTheMod wrote:A player can only have the second Necronomicon for one night before it is given to another member of the coven. One player cannot have the second Necronomicon twice, and after every member that does not possess the second Necronomicon has had it, it simply disappears.

Too ephemeral imo... it's more fun if one player can use its benefits for several nights in a row.

So you think that the Ritualist should be able to choose which member they give the book to? (I am naming it Grimoire)
Perhaps they choose someone to Mark, and until the Grimoire is released they choose a coven member each night to grant the Grimoire's powers? Deriving their power from the Marked person's life force.
But when the Marked person is sacrificed the Grimoire is released and roams the Coven, where each person still has it for one night, but they have it more than just once, and it is just random whoever gets it next.
If the Ritualist Marks a second person after the first is sacrificed, they can resume choosing Coven members to grant it to for one night like before?
Still not sure what their Necronomicon ability will be. Perhaps it is that they only need to have a person Marked for 1 less night before they are sacrificed/ the Mark wears off?
MorganTheMod
Amnesiac
Amnesiac

Postby MorganTheMod » Mon Aug 02, 2021 9:14 pm

bump. i have updated this role, giving it a new necronomicon ability to replace the role changing mechanic. probably in need of some edits, its pretty raw. Have also changed how the Grimoire buffs other players.
MorganTheMod
Amnesiac
Amnesiac

Return to Role Ideas