The Caretaker

Suggest new roles or changes to current roles for the game here.

What di you think of this role?

Poll ended at Sun May 16, 2021 12:37 pm

Trash, Scrap it (Explain why)
33%
Overpowered, Nerf it (Nerf ideas)
No votes
A bit too strong (Nerf ideas)
No votes
Balanced, But I dont like it/feels out of place (Explain why)
No votes
TO THE TESTING GROUNDS!
67%
A bit too weak/boring (Explain why, give ideas on how to fix/buff)
No votes
Underpowered (Buff ideas)
No votes

Total votes : 3

The Caretaker

Postby DumWasTaken » Thu May 13, 2021 12:37 pm

Second role post :D

First of all, this is the rolecard i made for it

https://i.redd.it/3ebzbt7tkxy61.png

Now for the extra infromation and interactions with other roles:

Extra information:
A dog will bark if a non townies get close to him. That can happen in 2 ways: The dogs owner visited a non townie or a Non townie visited the the owner. Framed/Hexed/Doused people will confuse the dog. The dog will not bark at visitors unless the owner stayed home.

Example
N1-Alice [13] (The caretaker) Gives a dog to Deodat [15] (The Mayor)
N2-Deodat is visited by a framer faking BG. Deodats dog barks.

Feedback messages:

Your dog barked! [To the dogs owner when it barking]
Your dog came running back to you [When dog is returned to cartaker because their owner died]

Final notes
A witch may force a caretaker to recall his dogs by making him target himself.
A witch can also force a caretaker to give a dog.
Last edited by DumWasTaken on Thu May 13, 2021 3:57 pm, edited 2 times in total.
My best role ideas (yes the role cards are clickable):

ImageImageImage
DumWasTaken

Re: The Caretaker

Postby syjfwbaobfwl » Thu May 13, 2021 1:51 pm

seems way to situational and number depending its completely RNG
syjfwbaobfwl
Jailor
Jailor

Postby superdog551 » Thu May 13, 2021 2:09 pm

syjfwbaobfwl wrote:seems way to situational and number depending its completely RNG

Situational maybe but I would argue against it being RNG since it seems it always checks the numbers directly left and right of whoever has the dog. It's not randomly picking two people for the dog to bark at, when you give a dog to somebody you know who is going to be checked
joaodasalmas wrote:Abilities: You can reveal yourself as the King Potato, and now you can't be voted.

My Roles:
Charmer
Oracle
Associate

Get in here and count to 200300 before 2030!
In-game my name is Jay
superdog551
Halloween 2020 Winner
Halloween 2020 Winner

Postby alex1234321 » Thu May 13, 2021 2:13 pm

superdog551 wrote:
syjfwbaobfwl wrote:seems way to situational and number depending its completely RNG

Situational maybe but I would argue against it being RNG since it seems it always checks the numbers directly left and right of whoever has the dog. It's not randomly picking two people for the dog to bark at, when you give a dog to somebody you know who is going to be checked

You're investigating three people at once with this role. You'd much rather for 3 suspicious people to randomly be close to each other than for them to be spread out. The role's power depends a lot on which roles happen to be in each part of the map.
#SaveTheTG

Tired of trying to play discord Mafia games and not getting enough people? Join Town of Morons! We now have our own bot!

Credit to PurpleSidewalk1
alex1234321
Role Ideas Moderator
Role Ideas Moderator

Postby DumWasTaken » Thu May 13, 2021 2:36 pm

alex1234321 wrote:
superdog551 wrote:

You're investigating three people at once with this role. You'd much rather for 3 suspicious people to randomly be close to each other than for them to be spread out. The role's power depends a lot on which roles happen to be in each part of the map.

I think you guys missed the point. YOU the caretaker, DO NOT KNOW if the dog barked. The person receiving it does. That makes it more intresting in my opnion, because you dont want to hand over a dog to say a consigliere because they WILL lie about it. You arent really chekcing 3 people at once, you are letting someone else check 2 people for you. Also the reason that easily confirmable roles like Jailor,Vigilante,Veteran will mess up your results

ImageImageImage
DumWasTaken

Postby alex1234321 » Thu May 13, 2021 2:56 pm

DumWasTaken wrote:
alex1234321 wrote:
superdog551 wrote:

I think you guys missed the point. YOU the caretaker, DO NOT KNOW if the dog barked. The person receiving it does. That makes it more intresting in my opnion, because you dont want to hand over a dog to say a consigliere because they WILL lie about it. You arent really chekcing 3 people at once, you are letting someone else check 2 people for you. Also the reason that easily confirmable roles like Jailor,Vigilante,Veteran will mess up your results

In that case you can confirm yourself by saying "I'm caretaker visiting 9 tonight" and 9 would know if you're lying or not. If 9 lies, then maybe you get mislynched, but tk could take care of 9 and at worst it'll be a 1 for 1, which benefits Town.

Either way it still depends on RNG. You're going to want to target townies so they're less likely to lie about the results, so you would be much better off if a townie is randomly next to two suspicious people than if those players were next to each other or on opposite sides of the map.
#SaveTheTG

Tired of trying to play discord Mafia games and not getting enough people? Join Town of Morons! We now have our own bot!

alex1234321
Role Ideas Moderator
Role Ideas Moderator

Postby DumWasTaken » Thu May 13, 2021 3:05 pm

alex1234321 wrote:
DumWasTaken wrote:
alex1234321 wrote:
superdog551 wrote:

In that case you can confirm yourself by saying "I'm caretaker visiting 9 tonight" and 9 would know if you're lying or not. If 9 lies, then maybe you get mislynched, but tk could take care of 9 and at worst it'll be a 1 for 1, which benefits Town.

Either way it still depends on RNG. You're going to want to target townies so they're less likely to lie about the results, so you would be much better off if a townie is randomly next to two suspicious people than if those players were next to each other or on opposite sides of the map.

That is true... hm i need to think about this

ImageImageImage
DumWasTaken

Postby superdog551 » Thu May 13, 2021 3:05 pm

alex1234321 wrote:
superdog551 wrote:

I think that all Tis can be dependent on where people are placed on the map but I do see your point.
joaodasalmas wrote:Abilities: You can reveal yourself as the King Potato, and now you can't be voted.

My Roles:
Charmer
Oracle
Associate

In-game my name is Jay
superdog551
Halloween 2020 Winner
Halloween 2020 Winner

Postby DumWasTaken » Thu May 13, 2021 3:10 pm

Right now, my biggest issue with this is how easy it is to go "Hi caretaker here, giving dog to [x] and being confirmed

ImageImageImage
DumWasTaken

Postby superdog551 » Thu May 13, 2021 3:12 pm

DumWasTaken wrote:Right now, my biggest issue with this is how easy it is to go "Hi caretaker here, giving dog to [x] and being confirmed

For that just make it so people don't know if they were given a dog, they only find out when the dog barks. Also allow the hypnotist to give people the dog barking notification.

My Roles:
Charmer
Oracle
Associate

In-game my name is Jay
superdog551
Halloween 2020 Winner
Halloween 2020 Winner

Postby DumWasTaken » Thu May 13, 2021 3:22 pm

superdog551 wrote:
DumWasTaken wrote:Right now, my biggest issue with this is how easy it is to go "Hi caretaker here, giving dog to [x] and being confirmed

For that just make it so people don't know if they were given a dog, they only find out when the dog barks. Also allow the hypnotist to give people the dog barking notification.

Yes hypno for sure. Also your idea is good, i can see it working.

ImageImageImage
DumWasTaken

Postby DumWasTaken » Thu May 13, 2021 3:26 pm

Updated.

ImageImageImage
DumWasTaken

Postby alex1234321 » Thu May 13, 2021 3:44 pm

To get rid of the position dependence, what if the Caretaker's target finds out if whoever they visit has a weapon? That seems like a natural way to get rid of RNG while making it somewhat difficult to confirm. I think it would be a little UP and would be weak if the Caretaker picks someone who doesn't visit, but maybe the result could be strengthened. Like maybe the dog barks if the player visits anyone who isn't Town with framed players falling in that category.
#SaveTheTG

alex1234321
Role Ideas Moderator
Role Ideas Moderator

Postby DumWasTaken » Thu May 13, 2021 3:53 pm

UPDATED: The caretaker's dog will now bark at non townies visited by their current owner.

ImageImageImage
DumWasTaken

Postby runningwiththepower » Thu May 13, 2021 4:39 pm

In light of the changes made to Caretaker, I will say that I like it!

Just to be sure---Deodat the Mayor does NOT know they received a Dog, they will only know if the Dog barks yea??

regardless, /support. it seems fun, strategic & balanced now :D
runningwiththepower

Postby DumWasTaken » Thu May 13, 2021 5:48 pm

runningwiththepower wrote:In light of the changes made to Caretaker, I will say that I like it!

Just to be sure---Deodat the Mayor does NOT know they received a Dog, they will only know if the Dog barks yea??

regardless, /support. it seems fun, strategic & balanced now :D

Correct.

ImageImageImage
DumWasTaken

Postby alex1234321 » Thu May 13, 2021 7:18 pm

So right now the dog barks if the player visits or is visited by someone who isn't Town? That seems UP unless there's a Lookout since the evil wouldn't say that they visited you. Maybe the notification can specify whether an evil visited you or you visited an evil. That might be more confirmable, but it can still be faked if you let Hypno choose the notification.
#SaveTheTG

alex1234321
Role Ideas Moderator
Role Ideas Moderator

Postby DumWasTaken » Thu May 13, 2021 7:27 pm

alex1234321 wrote:So right now the dog barks if the player visits or is visited by someone who isn't Town? That seems UP unless there's a Lookout since the evil wouldn't say that they visited you. Maybe the notification can specify whether an evil visited you or you visited an evil. That might be more confirmable, but it can still be faked if you let Hypno choose the notification.

Hey there. That isint necessary, as i wrote in my post, the dog will NOT bark to visitors if you visited someone. That is just a perk for non visiting roles to be able to do SOMETHING with it, if they do end up with a dog

ImageImageImage
DumWasTaken

Postby alex1234321 » Thu May 13, 2021 7:45 pm

DumWasTaken wrote:
alex1234321 wrote:So right now the dog barks if the player visits or is visited by someone who isn't Town? That seems UP unless there's a Lookout since the evil wouldn't say that they visited you. Maybe the notification can specify whether an evil visited you or you visited an evil. That might be more confirmable, but it can still be faked if you let Hypno choose the notification.

Hey there. That isint necessary, as i wrote in my post, the dog will NOT bark to visitors if you visited someone. That is just a perk for non visiting roles to be able to do SOMETHING with it, if they do end up with a dog

Yeah that makes sense. I didn't see that part. In that case I think the role is fine. It might be a little OP or UP still but it's kind of hard to say without testing it.
#SaveTheTG

alex1234321
Role Ideas Moderator
Role Ideas Moderator

Postby Benn3 » Fri Jul 16, 2021 1:45 pm

If I'm understanding this correctly,

You lend your dogs to somebody, and if that player has a weapon or is visited by somebody with a weapon, your dogs will bark? I assume "has a weapon" would count for Mafioso, Ambusher, Godfather, Vigilante, Veteran, Bodyguard, Doctor, Crusader, Trapper, Jailor, and Vampire Hunter? Because even so, I feel like it would work as a nerfed Investigator. Like mise will say "your target could be a mafioso ambusher godfather vigilante veteran bodyguard doctor crusader trapper jailor or vampire hunter" if your dogs bark. Also, because you don't know if your dogs bark, this is really UP. It's like having a Town(Killing) that has to give somebody a gun and then tell them who to shoot instead of just doing it themselves.

It seems interesting but if you dumb it down a little bit it's just a nerfed Investigator IMO, unless there's something I'm missing.
My main role concepts:

Caporegime
Spirit
Sniper
Assassin
Benn3
Executioner
Executioner

Return to Role Ideas