Harbinger (Neutral Chaos)

Suggest new roles or changes to current roles for the game here.

Thoughts?

This role is fine at is and ready for testing.
No votes
This role has a few quirks that need to ironed out.
No votes
I have no strong feelings about this role.
50%
This role needs many changes before testing.
No votes
This role is ironically Doomed to fail.
50%

Total votes : 2

Harbinger (Neutral Chaos)

Postby ABadWord » Wed Aug 12, 2020 1:28 am

Role Name:
Harbinger

Role Alignment:
Neutral Chaos

Abilities:
-Able to visit a player and "Doom" them.
-While alive, the Calamity can begin.

Attributes:
Attack: none
Defense: basic (becomes none when calamity begins)
-Dooms any player that visits them or dies.
-Starts the game "Damned".
-Upon all players being either Doomed or Damned while the Harbinger is alive, the Calamity begins.
-One the Calamity begins, the Harbinger is revealed, similar to the Mayor, and loses his basic defense.

The Calamity
-Once started, the Calamity will not end, even if the Harbinger is killed.
-The Calamity will kill all Damned players first in one large attack, then players in the order they where marked.
-If multiple players are marked in one night, one will be picked at random from the group until all are dead. Then the Calamity will move on to the next player or players in line.
-The Calamity's attack is Unstoppable, and cannot be avoided via transportation, being jailed, or any other means of defense. Pestilence of course, will not die.
-All players that die to the Calamity (except the Harbinger) have there role cleaned and will burned. The role will be listed "Taken".
-Players slated to die to the Calamity will be alerted the night they are about to die.
-The Calamity will not prevent any faction from winning. Although it will make life harder.

Notifications:
"The ground heaves! The sky grows dark! The Calamity has been brought to the Town!" Calamity alert
"____ has revealed them self as the Harbinger! He is damned!" Reveal message.
"The ground rumbles beneath you. This night is your last..." Warning message
"The ground trembles beneath you more then usual. No matter." Pestilence warning message.
"The ground opens beneath you! You are swallowed whole!" Unique death message, does not remove the "You have died!" message.
"He/She/They was destroyed by the Calamity." Death toll message.
"Their will was swallowed by the earth." Missing will message.
"No disaster is greater then you. The Calamity bows in defeat." Pestilence Calamity survival message.
"You could not find the will of your target." Fail message if Harbinger is killed while a forger attempts to forge.
"There was to much to clean." Fail message if Harbinger is killed while the Janitor attempts a clean.

Goal:
Bring about the Calamity.

Win Conditions:
Wins so long as the Calamity begins.

Special Attributes:
-Killed first by the Calamity.
-Roleblock immune.
-Will Doom a Jailor if Jailed. Will Damn a Jailor if they're already Doomed.
-Role and will cannot be cleaned or forged. Attempts to do so will be counted as failed.
-Unique

Investigator Results:
Sheriff - Your target is suspisious!
Investigator - Your target could be a Framer, Vampire, Jester, (Hex Master, )or Harbinger.
Consigliere - Your target brings a terrible curse that will destroy us all! He must be a Harbinger!

Achievements:
Destruction: Win one game as a Harbinger.
Disaster after Disaster: Win five games as a Harbinger.
Force of Nature: Win ten games as a Harbinger.
Bringer of Woe: Win twenty-five games as a Harbinger.
Hell on Earth: Be in a game where Pestilence is alive during a Calamity.
Well Deserved, yet Pointless: Be hanged after the Calamity begins.
Lambs to Slaughter: Doom four people in one night.
Now we die Together: Damn someone.
Fast Ending: Bring the Calamity before day five.

Additional Information:
-The primary goal of this role is to make a role that is properly Chaotic, while not being flat out annoying. The Calamity acts as a sort of timer, adding an entire new aspect that harms all factions equally (assuming the Harbinger wins).
-Intended game play meta for a Harbinger would be visiting players with low chance of death, while baiting players to visit, and push non Doomed players.
-Due to the Harbinger harming all factions, unless he is found early, most players will immediately sell out and push a Harbinger. Meaning a Harbinger will need to move fast and carefully.

Lore:

"You are a cursed man who brings The Calamity with him."

He'd seen so much.
Werewolves, Mafia takeovers, Witches, even peaceful towns burnt to the ground.
And he played a part in all of it.
Whispering the names of towns into the minds of evil men who would destroy them, or worse.
He enjoyed watching from the shadows, the sixteenth man in the horror shows he set up. All in amusement, and for it...
But one day he took the game to far.
As he watched the doctor laugh and morph before his eyes, his black heart sank deep into his chest.
The diseased town folk failed to root out the evil, and fell in a bloody slaughter.
When the last sickly man, a Doctor that had failed his job, begged for his life to the unfeeling thing. The man for the first time, could not bear to watch.
Walking down long dirt roads, a presence followed him, one he was familer with.
It followed every man that he lured into the helpless towns, and now its stink was on him.
As he sets what little he has into his new home, he knows it would be his last.
It watched him. It dug into the home. It dug into him.
As he whispered into the squirming body of the Mayor, sleeping in dreams turned to nightmares. It smiled.
This one would be second to die. He knew who was first.
Owner of the super rare "Win 10 games as Jester" achievement.

I have no clue how you all are putting links hidden in text in your bio and Google won't help.
ABadWord
Jester
Jester

Re: Harbinger (Neutral Chaos)

Postby Brilliand » Wed Aug 12, 2020 4:49 am

So, breaking this role down into pieces...
  • The first phase of this role works almost exactly the same as the recently-buffed Arsonist, except that its "ignite" follows Hex Master rules instead of being a choice.
  • Once this role achieves an Arsonist win, it wins, but instead of making everyone else lose immediately, it starts non-interactively killing them off in an arbitrary pattern.

It could probably be fixed by replacing the Calamity with something very different, but seeing as how the first phase of this role is just the Arsonist anyhow, I don't see much point in trying to fix it.

If you remove both the mechanics of the first phase and the mechanics of the second phase (leaving only the fluff), then what you have left is the basic shell of a "Death, Horseman of the Apocalypse" idea (suggesting that a Horseman transformation might be the best plan if you want to try to fix this role).
Brilliand
Godfather
Godfather

Postby MacReturned » Wed Aug 12, 2020 6:40 am

I'm sort of confused how this role works. Could you give an example footage? Thanks
Spoiler:
YOU CALL THIS RESISTING ARREST? WE CALL THIS A DIFFICULTY TWEAK.

My role ideas:
Enchantress
MacReturned
Jester
Jester

Postby Mystoc » Wed Aug 12, 2020 2:57 pm

yea im not seeing where the difference of where doomed and damned is mentioned

besides the fact you start out damned i dont see anywhere else a person also becomes damned
Mystoc
Amnesiac
Amnesiac

Postby Brilliand » Wed Aug 12, 2020 5:00 pm

Mystoc wrote:yea im not seeing where the difference of where doomed and damned is mentioned

besides the fact you start out damned i dont see anywhere else a person also becomes damned

I see "Will Doom a Jailor if Jailed. Will Damn a Jailor if they're already Doomed." It's a bit strange for that to be singled out though, so probably he meant for anyone who is Doomed twice to become Damned, and just forgot to mention it.
Brilliand
Godfather
Godfather

Postby ABadWord » Thu Aug 13, 2020 12:03 am

The Calamity is purposefully arbitrary, it's a chaotic disaster. It's main purpose is to happen, kill anyone Damned, then pick off everyone until some faction wins. It ups the KPN by 1 permanently. I'm open to suggestions on how to improve said calamity, however bear in mind that the main purpose is to add high amounts of chaos and unpredictability if it happens. It's a bad thing if it happens.

I have had other ideas on how to start the Calamity. Ranging from having a basic attack and needing to kill various targets before a deadline to win, to needing to hang a few people from a pool of targets then be hanged. However, the former was very liner and was essentially an SK, and the ladder was a bit to easy or hard depending on what the "targets needed hanged" and "number of possible targets" where set to. 2 and 7 seems to easy, 4 and 6 seems to hard.
I'm at a loss on how to make a system of winning without being another role re-skinned. Most ideas have been done already. (unless its a weird bait people into visiting someone else thing. but that seems to abstract for game play.)

I have no clue how you all are putting links hidden in text in your bio and Google won't help.
ABadWord
Jester
Jester

Postby Brilliand » Thu Aug 13, 2020 12:52 am

It sounds like you might be going for something similar to what I was going for with my Apocalypse Survivor role? The two roles are very different in the implementation, though:

• AS has its effect going from the start, Harbinger gets its effect by achieving its win condition (so it never has to face its own disaster)
  • AS generates a highly predictable kill pattern that allows for counterplay, Harbinger just annihilates people in a pattern that's likely to look quite random

I'm not sure I get the idea of "it's a bad thing if it happens". If the other players are supposed to prevent the calamity from ever going off, then I don't see why the "calamity" shouldn't just end the game with everyone else losing. By contrast, the transformation condition of Pestilence is something that's supposed to happen, and it's a little disappointing if it doesn't.
Brilliand
Godfather
Godfather

Postby ABadWord » Thu Aug 13, 2020 10:10 pm

No. Your role is about surviving said Apocalypse, and maybe saving another poor soul. The primary purpose of this role is to be a quiet threat that suddenly throws any plans into complete disarray. The randomness is the point, that's the entire idea. This means that as soon as anyone finds a Harbinger, they will want to kill said Harbinger fast. It could be changed to being an instant "only the Harbinger wins" but that's boring.
I more wanted a proper Chaos role in NC. Currently we have Vamps, which add mind games only if VH somehow died or is handled by a Witch, Pirate, which is Rock Paper Scissors: the role and can be killed by anything or just stop after two kills, and Plaguebearer, who is more of a NK then anything.
This is something where if it isn't killed fast, all bets are off. The only guarantee is that the Harbinger dies the first night, then, who knows.

ABadWord
Jester
Jester

Postby Brilliand » Thu Aug 13, 2020 10:29 pm

ABadWord wrote:The randomness is the point, that's the entire idea.

Oh. Bad idea.
Brilliand
Godfather
Godfather

Return to Role Ideas