Forum Mafia interest thread ( ): )

Looking for some forum fun? This is the place

Forum Mafia interest thread ( ): )

Postby ejjinami » Fri Apr 23, 2021 5:48 pm

Forum Mafia Game Queue

The Forum Mafia section is unavailable now so I figured it would be good to make a thread to organize everything.

Hosts:
If you’re interested in hosting a game, feel free to announce it and post the signups here. If you notify me beforehand, I will edit this post, adding your game to the list (along with the start date if you choose so).
If you’d like help with balancing your game, feel free to PM or DM me. It is not necessary though.
If you are a new player, it is advised to finish at least 3 games before hosting anything on your own.

Players:
To join a game, type "/in", “/join” or something along those lines.
Feel free to ego post in order to get notified of any following FM games.

Forum Mafia introduction and mechanics. shamelessly stolen from the old NFMs

Spoiler: Forum Mafia, or FM in short, is a game about deception between the two main factions: The uninformed majority (town) and the informed minority (mafia) duking it out. Logic, mind games, etc. are all part and usual of mafia.

Town and Mafia both have pretty straight-forward win conditions: eliminate the opposite team. While the mafia has the opportunity to kill periodically, the town cannot rely on their own killing roles to win the game - for that, they must vote to kill a player by "lynch".

The game is divided in two phases: the Day, and the Night.

• Day is when the players post on the game thread, discussing about what happened during the night, other players and who should be voted for the lynch. To vote, just post "/vote PlayerNameExample". When a player reaches majority or they have the most votes at the end of the day, they are lynched. When a player is lynched, they are immediately removed from the game, with their role being shown to the public.
  • The latter is a 24-hour period where any player who has a night action may use it. **During this phase the Mafia privately talks on their mafia chat. After the 24 hours are over, all actions are carried out, and the personal results of this phase shall be privately messaged (PM'd) to each player.

The game will only end once one of the major factions fulfills their condition.

————

Terminology.

General terms:

Role Card: The PM which contains the player's role, alignment and abilities.
Hard Claim: Directly stating one's own role on the game thread.
Crumb/Soft Claim: Hinting one's role without explicity stating it. For instance, saying "there are alot of people that are more important than me" may imply that you are softclaiming citizen. Make sure you have a plan in mind before attempting this.
Counter Claim (CC): Making a claim which directly contradicts someone else's. E.g Player A hardclaims Citizen, but Player B is a Lookout who saw them visiting, so they hardclaim and bring up their evidence.
Fake Claim: Claiming a role which is not their own's. E.g When a mafia member is demanded to hardclaim, they almost always fakeclaim instead.
Scum/Scummy: Scum is the name given to any role which doesn't win with town, and needs to be eliminated for town's win condition. Being scummy means adopting a behaviour which doesn't line up with the behaviour expected from a town member.
Confirmed: Being 100% confirmed as a certain [role]/[alignment].
No Lynch: Instead of voting for a player, you may also "/vote No Lynch". If majority reaches on a No Lynch, no player is killed. A No Lynch will also occur when the amount of time for the Day phase is over and majority hasn't been reached. No Lynching is, the majority of the time, benefitial to scum, so aiming towards it is generally scummy.
Reads/Reading: The read you have on a player is the conclusion about their alignment and/or role through their posts or other factors. If player X posts things that look like their a mafia member, you have a scumread on them!
WIFOM: WIFOM is the circular reasoning that results from trying to determine the choices of an opponent who acted with full knowledge that their behavior would be subject to scrutiny. For instance, if you think player Y wouldn't kill Z because Z townreads Y, but then realize that may well be a reason that Y would kill Z: to make people think Y isn't a mafia member, you've stumbled on WIFOM. Tread lightly.
Mislynch: An incorrect lynch on a town member.
Tunneling: Solely focusing on a player and their posts, ignoring others. Often considered scummy.
Game Throwing: Playing against your win condition with the intent of making your own faction lose. Extremely subjective term not to be taken lightly.

Slightly more uncommon terms:
LyLo - Lynch or Lose. A stage in the game where town must lynch scum or they lose. See also: MyLo.
MyLo - Mislynch and Lose. A stage in the game where if town mislynches (lynches town) and the Mafia make a kill town loses.
PoE - Process of Elimination.
OMGUS - "oh my god you suck". An acronym used to describe retaliatory actions such as votes. Ex: voting a player because they voted you citing the reason "because they are stupid".
ISO- Isolation. A list of all posts a player wrote in the game thread.

For a more complete list, feel free to look here.

------

Playing as Town

While Mafia can talk strategy during the night, the town needs to use the day phase to discuss and figure out who is and isn't town as well. What can you do, then?
Try to look for posts that feel scummy, ask and answer questions other players have made, try to see which intentions a player has behind their posts, be active and post what you think of other players regularly. Avoid plays which could benefit scum instead (e.g Hardclaiming for no reason, fakeclaiming), and try your best to think for yourself - it's a common mistake to follow blindly whatever other players have to say.
Townies have no reason to lie and should never do it, in NFM. Spotting a lie can be almost as sure as spotting a mafia itself.

Playing as Mafia

As scum, you should play exactly like you would as town - be active, post reads, try to look productive, etc. The difference here are your goals: Hiding information, misleading the town and stalling out long enough until they no longer outnumber you. This means appearing as scum-hunting, but in actuality pushing for a mislynch by questioning, false reading and trying to depict a player as scum. However, keep in mind that if a teammate is acting undeniably scummy and their lynch looks like the right call, try not to oppose it too obviously - or it could be tracked back to you.
And remember: you are a team, and thus communication is essential. Try to talk over every situation so you can plan in advance.

Golden Rules:
Don't claim Neutral.
Don't be inactive.
Remember what your goals are at all times.
Don't panic if you commit a mistake, but try to work your way around it.
Have fun. It's a game, after all.

------

If you ever feel anxious playing FM, like I do every single time I play, look at yourself and realize things aren't so bad. As long as you are having fun it's always worth it. Don't be scared to post.

General Rules:

Spoiler:
  1. Be respectful. Should be self-explanatory. No tolerance against racial/homophobic/sexist remarks. If you feel this rule isn't being followed, send the moderator in question a PM.
  2. Do not discuss the game outside of the thread unless otherwise stated. If you have a question about this, ask the mod.
  3. Do not quote any messages from / conversations with the moderator. If you have a question about this, ask the mod.
  4. Do not gamethrow. "Gamethrowing" means actively trying to undermine your, or your faction's, chances of winning.
  5. DO NOT EDIT YOUR POSTS. Do. Not. Fixing typos or adding details after you have already made the post is not allowed. Just make another post instead. Breaking this rule will be HEAVILY punished so please, keep that in mind.
  6. Any breaking of the above rules will be treated on a case by case basis - some will receive a warning, while others might result in higher punishment.
  7. Lastly, If you have any questions, feel free to ask the moderator. We'll be glad to answer any doubts you may have.

Current games in queue:

1. Super Popcorn Man variant- IN SIGNUPS
host = descender
game type = VFM

2. Pokemon SFM
host = ManateeDude
game type = SFM
size = unknown

3. Mad Limbs UPICK
host = fenraiser
game type = SFM
size = 9-12p
notes: the game will be held on Mafia Universe

4. Gold rush 15er
host = ezradekezra
game type = VFM
size = 15p

6. Worst game ever
host = James2
game type = SFM
size = 20p

7. Who’s the Wolf? 2.0
host = hereisme
game type = SFM
size = 10p
Last edited by ejjinami on Wed Oct 13, 2021 1:00 am, edited 37 times in total.

15 : 14,5

Last updated: 18.02.2021
ejjinami
Medium
Medium

Re: FM games interest thread (1 game in signups)

Postby ejjinami » Fri Apr 23, 2021 5:49 pm

RIP ToS FM 2.0

Signups

If you are interested in playing a game, please /join, saying what type of game would you like to play (VFM, SFM, standard) + preferred phase lengths.
Depending on what the players want, I’ll make the game and start it about a week from now (starting around the 1st of may)

This date can obviously be changed if the players ask to do so.

Player List:
1. watchme1
2. doplhina
3. cob709
4. ezradekezra
5. Descender
6. UzayAltay
7. Emily372
8. ManateeDude
9. kosmo16
Last edited by ejjinami on Sat May 01, 2021 5:30 pm, edited 7 times in total.

ejjinami
Medium
Medium

Re: Forum Mafia interest thread (1 game in signups)

Postby watchme1 » Fri Apr 23, 2021 6:14 pm

/join

Don't mind what kinds of fm, 72/24 is fine for me
FM Record - 26 Wins - 33 Losses - 7 Broke/Draw

Rip tosfm
watchme1
[Forum Mafia XIX] Winner
[Forum Mafia XIX] Winner

Postby dolphina » Fri Apr 23, 2021 6:23 pm

/in

i can work with this
Hi. I'm Caleb, and you're watching Disney Channel.

vocaloid KAITO #1 fan

He/they pronouns. Trans rights! I have fifteen names and infinite anxiety. I am the transgender masculine.

PM me for my Discord!
I’m a self proclaimed anarchist, and a god of chaos (apparently).
My stinky FM Record
dolphina
Blackmailer
Blackmailer

Postby cob709 » Fri Apr 23, 2021 6:40 pm

/in

gim game? role madness would be fun too. i like semi-open setups

is that dd/mm/yyyy i see
I SEE ALL
cob709
Mayor
Mayor

Postby Ezradekezra » Fri Apr 23, 2021 7:11 pm

/in

I'm fine with anything that's not a VFM because we've had a lot of those lately

Maybe a GIM?

72/24 is my preferred phase time

48/24 is fine too ig
Ezradekezra
Halloween 2020 Winner
Halloween 2020 Winner

Postby cob709 » Fri Apr 23, 2021 9:29 pm

Ezradekezra wrote:/in

I'm fine with anything that's not a VFM because we've had a lot of those lately

Maybe a GIM?

72/24 is my preferred phase time

48/24 is fine too ig

oops i forgot to include phase length
i prefer anything >24 hours for day, and <72 hours for night
I SEE ALL
cob709
Mayor
Mayor

Postby AbstractGlacial » Fri Apr 23, 2021 9:30 pm

in
AbstractGlacial
Civilian
Civilian

Postby ejjinami » Sat Apr 24, 2021 1:52 am

cob709 wrote:i prefer anything >24 hours for day, and <72 hours for night

24h 1min day phases, 71h 59min night phases

SFM/role madness it is then.

ejjinami
Medium
Medium

Postby UzayAltay » Sat Apr 24, 2021 3:21 am

In- I don't mind the format-don't expect much motivation from me
46-46 Spoiler: Town Games(27-32)

NFM50,NFM51,NFM52,14D,14E, NFM54 ,14H (AF), 14G, NFM 55, NFM 56, 15C, NFM 57, NFM 58,15F,SFM45,16B, VFM36, 16D , SFM 47 , VFM38, NFM62 , 16G ,VFM 39, EpisodeXVII, 17B , 17C , VFM44 , 17D , 17F,18C,18D,18E,VFM55,VFM57,SFM64, 19C,VFM58,VFM59 ,19D,VFM60,SFM66,SFM67,VFM64,SFM70,VFM69,XX7,XX9, VFM71,VFM72, VFM73, VFM74, 21A,VFM75,VFM76,XX14,VFM77,XX16,VFM78,VFM79

Scum Games (19-14)

NFM 48 , NFM 49 , TFM 65 ,TFM 66 , Episode XV ,TFM68 ,VFM 34, NFM61 , VFM42 , SFM53, VFM43,17E,VFM49,SFM60,CFM19,VFM54, EpisodeXIX, SFM63, 19E, 19F ,VFM62 ,VFM63,XX3,VFM66,XX5,VFM67,XX6,SFM72,XX8,VFM70,XX10,SFM76,SFM80
UzayAltay
[Forum Mafia XV] Winner
[Forum Mafia XV] Winner

Postby Emily372 » Sat Apr 24, 2021 5:21 am

/join
Serial Killer has killed the TT Jailor... and now the Town has congratulated that serial killer for no reason.
That TT Jailor has a will covered in blood, making it unreadable...
Since there is no medium, the town lost to the SK.
Emily372
Witch
Witch

Postby Phone0Ix » Sat Apr 24, 2021 8:11 am

/in

Not that up to join yet another game but ehh - how could I pass on a game hosted by Ejji
Call me Phone Ig

Or Silver because of my old discord name. Or Mikan because of my new discord name. Or Julian as that's my actual name
Phone0Ix
[Forum Mafia XVII] Winner

Postby Phone0Ix » Sat Apr 24, 2021 8:14 am

Phone0Ix wrote:/in

Not that up to join yet another game but ehh - how could I pass on a game hosted by Ejji

I dont mind the format
Call me Phone Ig

Or Silver because of my old discord name. Or Mikan because of my new discord name. Or Julian as that's my actual name
Phone0Ix

Postby CheezePie » Sat Apr 24, 2021 1:16 pm

eh, ill pass
i might've considered joining if it was a vfm
CheezePie
Bodyguard
Bodyguard

Postby ejjinami » Sat Apr 24, 2021 1:25 pm

CheezePie wrote:eh, ill pass

to think there’d be a time when I’m not the only VFM freak here XD

(ignore the fact that FM is dead lol, it counts)

ejjinami
Medium
Medium

Postby Descender » Sat Apr 24, 2021 1:42 pm

ejjinami wrote:
CheezePie wrote:eh, ill pass

to think there’d be a time when I’m not the only VFM freak here XD

(ignore the fact that FM is dead lol, it counts)

im here too
uwu
Possibly known as TodaysStory
TG Frequenter and Host
she/her
Descender
Role Ideas Moderator
Role Ideas Moderator

Postby ejjinami » Sat Apr 24, 2021 2:50 pm

Setup suggestion:

RIP ToS FM 2.0

Role Madness

Additional Game Mechanics:

The host is a player in the game. They’re aligned with the scum.
They can vote and can be lynched but cannot communicate with the scums privately (cannot post as a player in the mafia chat, give them information about the other players (unrelated to their night actions) nor influence their action choices).
The host’s role card and all of their player abilities will be included in the game’s OP.

Each day, 2-3 people will enter the elimination pool.
During the night, the mafia will choose which one among those players gets lynched.
Whether 2 or 3 people are in the lynch pool will be decided randomly, before the start of the game. The townies will not be informed of the results.

When 4 or less players remain in the game or there’s only 1 scum member remaining, the lynch mechanics will change to those of standard FM lynches (choose 1 person, they die at the end of the day phase).

Each person can vote an unlimited number of times, on an unlimited number of players.
Unvoting should be done via “/vote unvote”.

The mafia have no regular, factional kill.

There may be abilities which influence the lynch mechanics in the game.

I will try to make this balanced and give the townies appropriate abilities.
If you have any suggestions for the game mechanics (or would want them changed, suggest a different setup altogether), I’m all ears.

ejjinami
Medium
Medium

Postby UzayAltay » Sat Apr 24, 2021 3:25 pm

Do you have any plan about flavor?
46-46 Spoiler: Town Games(27-32)

NFM50,NFM51,NFM52,14D,14E, NFM54 ,14H (AF), 14G, NFM 55, NFM 56, 15C, NFM 57, NFM 58,15F,SFM45,16B, VFM36, 16D , SFM 47 , VFM38, NFM62 , 16G ,VFM 39, EpisodeXVII, 17B , 17C , VFM44 , 17D , 17F,18C,18D,18E,VFM55,VFM57,SFM64, 19C,VFM58,VFM59 ,19D,VFM60,SFM66,SFM67,VFM64,SFM70,VFM69,XX7,XX9, VFM71,VFM72, VFM73, VFM74, 21A,VFM75,VFM76,XX14,VFM77,XX16,VFM78,VFM79

Scum Games (19-14)

NFM 48 , NFM 49 , TFM 65 ,TFM 66 , Episode XV ,TFM68 ,VFM 34, NFM61 , VFM42 , SFM53, VFM43,17E,VFM49,SFM60,CFM19,VFM54, EpisodeXIX, SFM63, 19E, 19F ,VFM62 ,VFM63,XX3,VFM66,XX5,VFM67,XX6,SFM72,XX8,VFM70,XX10,SFM76,SFM80
UzayAltay
[Forum Mafia XV] Winner
[Forum Mafia XV] Winner

Postby ejjinami » Sat Apr 24, 2021 3:26 pm

UzayAltay wrote:Do you have any plan about flavor?

I might add some but even if, not much.
I was never good at writing flavor tbh

ejjinami
Medium
Medium

Postby cob709 » Sat Apr 24, 2021 3:30 pm

ejjinami wrote:They can vote and can be lynched but cannot communicate with the scums privately (cannot post as a player in the mafia chat, give them information about the other players (unrelated to their night actions) nor influence their action choices).

can the host be killed? or are there no TK roles?
will the role list be open or closed?
I SEE ALL
cob709
Mayor
Mayor

Postby ejjinami » Sat Apr 24, 2021 3:35 pm

cob709 wrote:
ejjinami wrote:They can vote and can be lynched but cannot communicate with the scums privately (cannot post as a player in the mafia chat, give them information about the other players (unrelated to their night actions) nor influence their action choices).

can the host be killed? or are there no TK roles?
will the role list be open or closed?

Right, the host will likely have to have NK immunity of some sort...

and the game is role madness so definitely closed

ejjinami
Medium
Medium

Postby Descender » Sat Apr 24, 2021 3:42 pm

TG Frequenter and Host
she/her
Descender
Role Ideas Moderator
Role Ideas Moderator

Postby Descender » Sun Apr 25, 2021 3:12 am

it appears that not many people care
/in unless poll changes
im a huge VFM nerd but idm
TG Frequenter and Host
she/her
Descender
Role Ideas Moderator
Role Ideas Moderator

Postby cob709 » Sun Apr 25, 2021 4:25 am

id be cool with playing a vfm too
I SEE ALL
cob709
Mayor
Mayor

Postby lemonader666 » Sun Apr 25, 2021 5:45 am

I'll host another GIM if we get more than 10 people interested in playing

you can email me at lemonader666@gmail.com if need be
lemonader666
[Forum Mafia XVI] Winner
[Forum Mafia XVI] Winner

Next

Return to Forum Games