CHINATOWN | GAME OVER

A place for old, unplayed, and completed games go to lie.

CHINATOWN | GAME OVER

Postby Joacgroso » Mon Jun 05, 2023 1:15 pm

Chinatown

New York in the 1960’s. A new wave of Chinese immigrants is moving into Chinatown. The adoption of the new immigration act has launched the district in a demographic boom! It now reaches Canal Street to the north and Bowery Street to the east. The immigrants, hard-working men and women, are arriving by the thousands to buy buildings, establish businesses and fulfill the American Dream! In this game, you are one of them.
With all your savings in hand, the Big Apple is up for grabs! Will you know how to use your talents and acquire the most extraordinary fortune in America?

Welcome to Chinatown, a casual negotiation game fueled by player interaction. The goal of the game is to become the richest player, and you will try to achieve that by building businesses. You will receive properties at random from me, but in order to get what you need you'll probably have to make deals with other players. Tempt, haggle, beg and threaten to your heart's content! There is very little room for deception in this game.

Expect Chinatown to last between one day and a week, depending on how active people are. You won't be required to spend too much time online, but if we all coordinate at the same time the game will be smoother. As a player, you'll have to chat with others at your own pace and send me some simple actions ocassionally.

Now let's get into the rules!

How to play:
Before I start explaining, if you want to read the official rules instead of my summary, you can do it here. If you prefer a video explanation, here's one.
The game will be played on this board: Spoiler:
The game will last 6 turns, each of them divided into the following phases:

1) Getting properties and businesses. I will randomly send you some numbers corresponding to squares on the board. You will tell me the which of those you want to keep (for example, in the first turn I will give you 5 places and you will have to keep 3. Later in the game you will get less properties). The properties you don't keep might be received by any players later in the game, they are not gone forever. After that, you will get some random business tiles and keep all of them. The only things that matter about them are their size and name.

Tip: You want to have properties that are connected to each other so you can build bigger businesses, which make more money. For that reason, you'll also want many tiles of the same business. If you don't have connected properties available, you should grab whatever is useful to someone else so you can negotiate with them later.

2)Negotiation. This is the heart of the game. I will reveal what properties and tiles are owned by each player. Everyone will start with $50,000, but after that money will be kept secret. During this phase, you can propose whatever you want to any player(s) you want. You can trade with money, properties and businesses. You can even make a deal between many players at the same time. It's free market! Keep in mind that future promises in deals aren't binding, although they are not forbidden.

Feel free to talk publicly or privately as you wish, just don't copypaste your conversations with me and try to keep your money hidden so people can't screw you over if they know you are winning. Adding me to your private chats will make the game more fun for me, although it isn't mandatory.

If you want to formally make a deal, tell me privately what the deal is. I will PM the other party telling them about it and wait for their response. You can also post the deal in a chat so the other party can react with a thumbs up emote to accept it. If all involved parties agree, the deal will happen and I will announce what was exchanged and by whom (I won't say how much money was traded, though).

You can trade as much as you want, and once you're done you have to inform me with a DM. Once everyone DMs me they're done, this phase will end. If this doesn't happen, the negotiations will finish after 24-36 hours.

3) Building businesses. If you own business tiles and you have empty properties, you can build those businesses there by spending the corresponding tile. Once you build a business, it can't be changed or removed, even with deals. You can still sell the property to someone else with the business in it, though.

4) Earning money. Everyone will get money from their businesses (that is, properties they own that have business tiles in them). If you have several tiles of the same business adjacent to one another, they count as one business. 2 tiles are adjacent if they are right next to each other (not diagonally) and aren't separated by a street. The bigger a business is, the more money it will make. As I said before, each business type will have a certain size (from 3 to 6). That is the amount of tiles needed to complete it. Completed businesses make more money than incomplete ones.

Here's a chart explaining income:
Spoiler: Image

After that, we will repeat the cycle. The game will end when turn 6 finishes and whoever has the most money will be the winner. In the unlikely case there is a tie it will be broken in favor of whoever has the most businesses in the map.

Here's some specific information that isn't necessary to know, but might be useful:
-There are 3 types of businesses for each size (3, 4, 5 or 6), which will work the same but have different names. Each type of business has it's size+3 available tiles, so for example there are 6 tea shop tiles (size 3) and 9 restaurant tiles (size 6) available.
-On the first 3 turns, everyone will get 5 properties and keep 3. After that, you will get 4 and keep 2.
-Everyone will get 5 businesses on their first turn, 3 on the 2 following turns and 2 on the second half of the game.

The game will be played over discord, in GamesHub. Feel free to make your deals and discuss there or in this thread.

If you want to join, just say /join and pick a color. You can choose white (#FFFFFF), red, yellow, purple or green. Also, tell me your pronoums just in case and your pinging preferences.

If you have any questions about the game, feel free to ask.

Players:
-Multi
-Gabby
-Timuru
-Ramen
-Mote con huesillo

The game will start on (your timezone) if it gets enough players.

edit: The game ended on . Here are the placements and achievements, for easy access:
Spoiler: Placements:
5th place - Ramen and Tromeloox with $310,120.
4th place - Gabby with $735,500.
3rd place - Mote with $755,000.
2nd place - Multi with $829,500.
1st place - Timuru with $979,880.

Achievements:
The white shark - Timuru - for winning.
Yes and - Timuru - For closing the most deals (11).
But I refuse - Timuru - For refusing the most deals (6).
The deal of the century - Gabby - For getting the most cash out of a deal ($60,000 from Tromeloox).
It's free real estate! - Timuru - For ruthessly scamming the yellow players over and over throughout the game, which usually resulted in him getting properties pretty much for free.
Not just income - Gabby - For earning the most cash through deals ($105,500).
Big spender - Ramen and Tromeloox - For spending the most cash on deals ($69,880).
It doesn't buy happiness - Timuru - For refusing the biggest sum of money in a deal ($120,000 from Gabby).
Long term winner - Timuru - For having the highest income at the end of the game ($370,000 per turn).
First come, first serve - Gabby - For being the first player to complete a business (round 3).
Finish what you start - Timuru - For completing the most businesses (2).
Commercial vision - Timuru, Multi and Mote - For correctly guessing the final placements before the game ended.
Last edited by Joacgroso on Fri Jun 23, 2023 10:31 am, edited 9 times in total.
Joacgroso wrote:I feel like I went from Light Yagami to Keiichi Maebara.

I still hope one day the game will have private lobbies. They would really help.
Also, please nerf vampire hunters.
Joacgroso
Werewolf
Werewolf

Re: CHINATOWN | [5/5]

Postby Timur10000 » Thu Jun 08, 2023 6:57 am

Thread supremity, respect Joaco
Timur10000

Re: CHINATOWN | [5/5]

Postby Joacgroso » Fri Jun 09, 2023 5:22 pm

The game will start tomorrow. I made a picture with examples explaining how income is determined. I hope it helps:

Last edited by Joacgroso on Tue Jun 13, 2023 8:33 am, edited 1 time in total.

I still hope one day the game will have private lobbies. They would really help.
Joacgroso
Werewolf
Werewolf

First negotiation phase starts!

Postby Joacgroso » Sat Jun 10, 2023 1:01 pm

The first negotiation phase has started!

Here is the current state of the board:
Spoiler:

Here are everyone's business tiles:
Spoiler:

Now it's time to make deals! You can send me a private message here or in discord telling me the terms of your deal, and I will inform the recipient about it. If they accept, I'll make the deal public without revealing how much money was exchanged.

You can also post the deal in a group chat pinging me and the recipients. If they react with a thumbs up emote and the post hasn't been edited the deal will be valid. Keep in mind that doing this publicly will allow others to calculate how much money you have, which can be disadvantageous later in the game.

Once you're done with negotiating inform me via DM. This phase will end once everyone agrees. Otherwise, it will end .

Joacgroso
Werewolf
Werewolf

Re: CHINATOWN | Round 1/6

Postby Joacgroso » Sat Jun 10, 2023 11:55 pm

Mote and Multi have swapped Mote's jewellery for Multi's tea house.

Here is the new business tiles distribution:
Spoiler:

Joacgroso
Werewolf
Werewolf

Postby Joacgroso » Sun Jun 11, 2023 2:53 pm

Mote and Gabby swapped spaces 55 and 68.

Here is the new map:
Spoiler:

Joacgroso
Werewolf
Werewolf

Postby Joacgroso » Sun Jun 11, 2023 6:00 pm

The first negotiation phase is over!

Now it's time to build. Send me a DM telling whether you want to build or not. You can place as many of your business tiles as you want in spaces you own, but keep in mind that once you do it they will stay there forever.

The advantage of placing businesses is that they'll make money for you. The disadvantage is that you will lose flexibility.

Here is the current state of the game:
Spoiler: ImageImage

This phase will be over
Last edited by Joacgroso on Wed Jun 14, 2023 8:39 am, edited 1 time in total.

Joacgroso
Werewolf
Werewolf

Postby timurtheking » Mon Jun 12, 2023 6:00 am

I hate Ramen
Check out my ideas:
The Philosophers (New Faction)
Witch Change/buff

Just remembering the good times when this forum was alive :))

Best known for; hosting The Room FG series and being the Right Hand of Game's Hub
timurtheking
Sponsor
Sponsor

Re: CHINATOWN | Round 2/6

Postby Joacgroso » Mon Jun 12, 2023 8:36 am

Round 1 is over!

After everyone has finished building, this is the state of the board:

Round 2 will start now. I'll send you 5 more spaces and you will have to discard 2 of them. This phase will end or once everyone replied. Good luck!

Also, now that the first cycle is over I'd like to hear feedback on phase lenghts. I don't want to cut off anyone, but I don't want phases to drag on forever either. Do you have any suggestions?
Last edited by Joacgroso on Wed Jun 14, 2023 8:39 am, edited 2 times in total.

Joacgroso
Werewolf
Werewolf

Postby Joacgroso » Tue Jun 13, 2023 4:30 am

The second negotiation phase has started!

Here is the current state of the board:

You know what to do. Don't forget to DM me when you're done. If you don't, this phase will end
Last edited by Joacgroso on Wed Jun 14, 2023 8:40 am, edited 1 time in total.

Joacgroso
Werewolf
Werewolf

Postby Joacgroso » Tue Jun 13, 2023 5:18 am

Multi gave Timuru a factory and space 44 in exchange for 2 jewelleries and space 20.

State of the board:

Joacgroso
Werewolf
Werewolf

Postby Joacgroso » Tue Jun 13, 2023 8:07 am

Timuru gave Ramen his laundry and paid him in order to get his factory and space 51.

Joacgroso
Werewolf
Werewolf

Postby Joacgroso » Tue Jun 13, 2023 8:51 am

Timuru gave Gabby his dim sum in exchange for her factory.

Joacgroso
Werewolf
Werewolf

Postby Joacgroso » Tue Jun 13, 2023 10:03 am

Multi gave Mote space 58 in exchange for space 23.

Joacgroso
Werewolf
Werewolf

Postby Joacgroso » Tue Jun 13, 2023 1:02 pm

Multi gave Ramen space 18 (with a photo business), a restaurant and some money in exchange for space 72.

Multi gave space 20 and 23 and an antiques store to Gabby in exchange for spaces 73 and 75 and a tropical fish store.

Joacgroso
Werewolf
Werewolf

Postby Joacgroso » Wed Jun 14, 2023 11:15 am

The second negotiation phase is over!

Please send me your build actions. You can see the state of the board in the post above.

This phase will end when everyone replies or .

Joacgroso
Werewolf
Werewolf

Re: CHINATOWN | Round 3/6

Postby Joacgroso » Thu Jun 15, 2023 5:00 am

Round 3 is starting!

After the businesses were placed, this is the state of the board:
I'll send you 5 new properties, and you will keep 3 of them.

Once everyone's done the next negotiation phase will begin. The time limit will end .

5/5 people are done.

Joacgroso
Werewolf
Werewolf

Postby Joacgroso » Thu Jun 15, 2023 7:55 am

The third negotiation phase has started!

Here is the state of the board:

Good luck!

This phase will end when everyone is done or . 3/5 people are done.
Last edited by Joacgroso on Thu Jun 15, 2023 5:30 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Joacgroso
Werewolf
Werewolf

Postby Joacgroso » Thu Jun 15, 2023 8:45 am

Mote gave Multi space 40, a dim sum and some money in exchange for a seafood shop and space 12.

Joacgroso
Werewolf
Werewolf

Postby Joacgroso » Thu Jun 15, 2023 3:11 pm

Multi gave Gabby a dim sum in exchange for her tropical fish.
Mote gave Gabby space 27 in exchange for space 31.
Timuru gave Gabby a dim sum tile in exchange from an antiques store.
Timuru gave Ramen a florist tile and some money in exchange for spaces 80 and 81 and his 3 laundries.

Joacgroso
Werewolf
Werewolf

Postby Joacgroso » Fri Jun 16, 2023 5:00 am

The third negotiation phase is over!

Please send me your build actions. This phase will end or once everyone replies.

5/5 people are done.

Joacgroso
Werewolf
Werewolf

Re: CHINATOWN | Round 4/6

Postby Joacgroso » Fri Jun 16, 2023 10:05 am

Round 4 has started!

This is the state of the board:

Congratulations to Gabby, Multi and Mote on being the first people to complete their businesses!

From now on, you'll only get to keep 2 of 4 properties, and you'll only get 2 businesses each turn.

This phase will end or when everyone is done, although I don't think I'll be able to be very active today.

I think this round will be very interesting.

5/5 people are done.

Joacgroso
Werewolf
Werewolf

Postby Joacgroso » Fri Jun 16, 2023 7:45 pm

The fourth negotiation phase has started!

Here is the state of the board:

A lot of decisive deals can be made this time... if you're willing to make them.

This phase will end or when everyone is done.

5/5 people are done.
Last edited by Joacgroso on Sat Jun 17, 2023 4:57 pm, edited 5 times in total.

Joacgroso
Werewolf
Werewolf

Postby Joacgroso » Sat Jun 17, 2023 6:16 am

Multi bought space 32 from Gabby.

Joacgroso
Werewolf
Werewolf

Postby Joacgroso » Sat Jun 17, 2023 8:56 am

Timuru bought space 42 from Ramen.

Joacgroso
Werewolf
Werewolf

Next

Return to Completed/Abandoned Games