Copy/paste broken

Bug reports from playing on our Public Test Realm

Copy/paste broken

Postby Brilliand » Fri May 08, 2020 5:29 pm

While playing on the new Unity in Browser test, I found that I could not copy/paste between the game and other programs. Copy/paste within the game works, but it seems to use its own separate clipboard that does not interact with other programs (tested on both Windows and Linux).

I can see balance arguments either way on this, but copy-paste is ubiquitous enough that making it not work is breaking some pretty basic functionality.
Brilliand
Godfather
Godfather

Re: Copy/paste broken

Postby DocExer » Fri May 15, 2020 12:54 pm

@Brilliand, thanks for your feedback. The issue with copy/paste on WebGL comes down to security features built into the WebGL sandbox within which Town of Salem runs, so by default ToS does not have access to the external clipboard. However, we have implemented a workaround in the upcoming Beta 4 release on PTR, which consists of a new Paste button on the Last Will, Death Note, and Notepad dialogs which will allow you to paste in content from the external clipboard. Clicking this button will retrieve text from the external clipboard and insert it into any of those dialogs. This should allow people that have default last will templates and such saved in an external document to be able to copy those templates and paste them in. There are limitations to this functionality, so some of the fancy ASCII art templates are unlikely to work, but regular text should work fine.
DocExer
Developer
Developer

Postby Brilliand » Fri May 15, 2020 4:47 pm

DocExer wrote:The issue with copy/paste on WebGL comes down to security features built into the WebGL sandbox within which Town of Salem runs, so by default ToS does not have access to the external clipboard.

Ouch, that sounds rough.

Thank you for making it sort-of functional. I still want full copy/paste functionality, but I'm willing to wait for Unity and the web browsers to figure that part out.

One more thing - could you provide a way to copy text out of the game into external programs, somehow? Occasionally I want to copy something someone said in chat for later use.
Brilliand
Godfather
Godfather

Postby DocExer » Fri May 15, 2020 9:50 pm

When you click the button on the chat entry to copy it, it will also copy it to the external keyboard, so I think that will meet your need. I added that when I added the other functionality. Unfortunately, it's the Ctrl+c and Ctrl+v keypresses that Unity intercepts and handles internally. I can (at this point) only tap into the external clipboard with actual button clicks. Later, perhaps when there is more time, I can see whether or not we can also get those to work.
DocExer
Developer
Developer

Postby DocExer » Fri May 15, 2020 9:52 pm

I forgot to mention...for the external keyboard stuff to work, your browser (depending on which you're using) will popup a permissions request dialog. You have to grant permissions to Town of Salem once to be able to access the external keyboard. If you don't grant access, none of the external clipboard stuff will work.
DocExer
Developer
Developer

Return to PTR Bug Reports