neutral roles!

Talk about Forum Mafia feedback, suggestions, etc here.

Moderators: Varanus, FM Game Moderators

neutral roles!

Postby Guzame » Sun Apr 13, 2014 12:34 pm

Okay, time for more questions!

What do you guys think about neutral roles?
Are there any roles that you definitely want to see?
Any roles that you definitely DON'T want to see?

The roles I've used so far are jester, executioner and survivor. I'm a big fan of these roles because they're important to the game without siding with anybody else.
Especially the jester and executioner are fun because their only goal is to confuse the town and make them.vote for the wrong people.

I AM considering adding a neutral killing role like arsonist/Serial Killer, but then I'd have to buff the town power roles to compensate. And I worry that the games would be over too soon with 2 kills per night.
Unless I let 20-25 players join instead of the standard 15?

What are your opinions? Get rid of the survivor? Add other roles? Let me know!
Guzame
Jailor
Jailor

Re: neutral roles!

Postby PiePerson » Sun Apr 13, 2014 12:58 pm

I kinda like the survivor
judge is an interesting neutral role
SK should be okay if people actually get involved in the game unlike some of the people in the current game
When I feel down and out I click on this image for a song of empowerment and inspiration
PiePerson
Veteran
Veteran

Postby Guzame » Sun Apr 13, 2014 1:01 pm

PiePerson wrote:I kinda like the survivor
judge is an interesting neutral role
SK should be okay if people actually get involved in the game unlike some of the people in the current game

Yes, I agree. I'll be adding more and stricter activity rules to my next game. I've got people barely talking in this game while I have 8 people in the queue who'd love to take their place. :l
Guzame
Jailor
Jailor

Postby Eevee » Sun Apr 13, 2014 11:56 pm

Do we have to use the roles from town of salem itself, or can we create new roles? Because I was thinking this game could be a platform to try out the many roles suggested in the suggestion box, and it'd be fun too cos some of the roles in there are really pretty cool :) It'll add a twist and it'll be fresh too hehe
hmu if you love pokemon B)
~~~~~boop~~~~~
also what is dragcave
what are these eggs can they be eaten
ImageImageImage
Eevee
Bodyguard
Bodyguard

Postby LordofFail » Mon Apr 14, 2014 6:20 am

I would love to see an Amnesiac, and a SK / Arso would be really fun to add so that there would be more than 3 evil roles.

Also I agree with what was said above, maybe have games of 20+ people in?

Personally, I think it would work best with 20 people, here is my suggested role list:

Any (2)
2 Random Roles for good measure - if game unbalanced can be replaced with townies, I like games with a couple anys though

Mafia (4):
Godfather
Mafioso
Random Mafia
Random Mafia

Town (10):
Mayor
Investigator
Sheriff
Vigilante
Doctor
BodyGuard
Retributionist
Citizen x 3

Neutrals (4):
Serial Killer OR Arsonist
Witch
Amnesiac OR Survivor
Jester OR Executioner

If games consist of 15 people, I would remove the following roles from the role list above: Mafioso, Witch, Any, Citizen and one other town role.

If games consist of 25 people, I would add the following 5 roles: Random Mafia, Neutral Killing, Lookout, Neutral Benign, Any

Note that when the anys are picked, if the moderator deems the roles chosen to be unbalanced, he can repick them. (aka he chooses the roles he wants for the any)
"The Hardest Game to Win is a Won Game"

~~ Emanuel Lasker ~~

Mystery Link
LordofFail
[Forum Mafia I] Winner
[Forum Mafia I] Winner

Postby LordofFail » Mon Apr 14, 2014 6:26 am

Primorix wrote:Well I know in ToS the typical 933 balance includes a neutral killing role, so I think you could add another killer in there while keeping things competitive. 933 with only 1 kill gives the town a large number of mislynches to work with, especially if mafia misses a kill or hits a neutral.

Have you considered giving the mafia multiple kills? You could perhaps let the Godfather and the Mafioso carry out independent kills for a night. That would be more appropriate in a game with fewer neutrals or with more people, but I think that might be an entertaining variation as well.

I dont see too many custom games with the 9-3-3 anymore.
Very often I will see a 8-3-4 or 8-4-3.

Personally my favorite is a 7-3-4 with one any, but at least 2 of the town roles being investigative, 2 being protective, and 2 being killing. The last role is usually Mayor or Retributionist.
"The Hardest Game to Win is a Won Game"

~~ Emanuel Lasker ~~

Mystery Link
LordofFail
[Forum Mafia I] Winner
[Forum Mafia I] Winner

Postby Guzame » Mon Apr 14, 2014 7:29 am

Eevee wrote:Do we have to use the roles from town of salem itself, or can we create new roles? Because I was thinking this game could be a platform to try out the many roles suggested in the suggestion box, and it'd be fun too cos some of the roles in there are really pretty cool :) It'll add a twist and it'll be fresh too hehe

Adding a few roles from the suggestion thread is definitely an option, if the game moderator likes a certain role enough.

Primorix wrote:Well I know in ToS the typical 933 balance includes a neutral killing role, so I think you could add another killer in there while keeping things competitive. 933 with only 1 kill gives the town a large number of mislynches to work with, especially if mafia misses a kill or hits a neutral.

Have you considered giving the mafia multiple kills? You could perhaps let the Godfather and the Mafioso carry out independent kills for a night. That would be more appropriate in a game with fewer neutrals or with more people, but I think that might be an entertaining variation as well.

Yes, but the ToS 9-3-3 setting also has 9 power roles for the town. As a result, the town usually purely relies on the power roles to do the work for them. People don't get lynched because they act suspicious and they can't explain their behaviour. They're lynched because the sheriff/investigator/lookout/Spy/Investigator saw who was the bad guy.
Forum Mafia is more reliant on discussion and logical deduction, as I'm sure most of you noticed during the current game. I also notice that a lot of players have a hard time getting used to this form of mafia when most of them have only ever played "power role mafia"
I feel like 9-3-3 without a killing role is balanced when it's this easy for the mafia to blend in with the town if they know what they're doing.

And for your second question, instead of giving the mafia multiple kills, I'm considering adding two or even three ""rival mafia gangs".
These would each be a group of 2-3 mafia members who get a kill each night. A mafia gang only wins if the rival gangs are also dead.
These would be used for bigger games (20-25 players) only of course.
Guzame
Jailor
Jailor

Postby xXxAQUAxXx » Tue Apr 15, 2014 4:22 pm

I definently think 20-25 roles would be great. Then you could differentiate between forum town of salem and regular town of salem.
xXxAQUAxXx
Patron
Patron

Location: Forcing children to kill each other... In a forum far far away.

Postby TurdPile » Tue Apr 15, 2014 4:27 pm

xXxAQUAxXx wrote:I definently think 20-25 roles would be great. Then you could differentiate between forum town of salem and regular town of salem.

Let the thread flooding commence. xD
I have mostly rescinded my role as Admin.

All previous contact should instead be redirected to Flavorable.

If your inquiry doesn't directly have to do with Trial 2.0 or TrialBot, then please refrain from messaging.

Thank you.
TurdPile
Vampire
Vampire

Postby Hiphoplog » Thu May 15, 2014 3:35 pm

I think more unique roles for Forum Mafia that are not in the normal game like the Citizen would be cool.
Hiphoplog
Godfather
Godfather

Postby Veeena » Sun May 18, 2014 7:16 pm

I would love to see the one BoomLay talked about in the suggestions thread (picture below)
Spoiler: Image
OSRS Accounts: Veeena
Lewd Queen (Former HCIM)
Peepo Vee (GIM)

FF14: Xa Erros (NA Sargantas)

Formerly M4xwell
Known as
Xa/M4xy/Vee

Spoiler: Image

Some fucking Vee I suppose.

Veeena
Global Moderator