[Newcomer FM] NFM10 | Game Over! (Town Wins)

The threads where you play mafia will be posted here.

Moderators: Varanus, FM Game Moderators

Re: [Newcomer FM] NFM10 | Day 1 | The Ropes

Postby Hiphoplog » Fri Feb 12, 2016 3:50 pm

I am "Hiphop" as Mel calls it, but most just call me Hip I think.

I'm pretty good with how game mechanics and roles work and function, so if there is ever a question about a role or what a specific mechanic of a game is I usually will have an answer for it. If I don't Invenio's more than capable of clarifying something.
Unlike Melanora's basic reads on everyone I will post more substantial in depth reads of a single person. As a result I don't often have all my reads in a single place but I will be more than happy to explain any reads I have.

Like Melanora I agree that inactivity is a huge problem. It's probably both Town and Scum's number one killer to be honest. People especially more experienced people don't like it when people are inactive and not talking. It is often seen as you are avoiding the thread or dodging questions and will more often that not cause suspicion to be on you. In particularly Mafia and Neutrals love to push suspicion off of them and onto people who are inactive. So whatever you do, no matter your alignment do not be inactive it does not help your faction.
Hiphoplog
Godfather
Godfather

Postby Technetium » Fri Feb 12, 2016 3:56 pm

Hiphoplog wrote:So whatever you do, no matter your alignment do not be inactive it does not help your faction.

This. Very much this.

In memory of those who have been deleted.
The last poster to survive Blindside Island will win a cookie. Or perhaps 1500...
Technetium#8515 on Discord
Technetium
Godfather
Godfather

Postby IAmAMunchlax » Fri Feb 12, 2016 4:02 pm

We're doing intros? I'm Munch, have a seat Image

I'm bad at these things but basically what those two others said, try to be as active as you can, even if you think you barley have anything to say, say it, all of it helps. Inactivity is always the fall of Town, keeping conversations going and don't let scum go in the shadows, just look at everything carefully and we might be able to catch a lie. Also please try not to claim if there is no significant reason, that just makes you more of a target from both sides.
IAmAMunchlax
Halloween 2015 Winner
Halloween 2015 Winner

Location: ⁨ ⁨ ⁨ ⁨ ⁨ ⁨ ⁨ ⁨ ⁨ ⁨ ⁨ ⁨ ⁨ ⁨ ⁨ ⁨ ⁨ ⁨ ⁨⁨ ⁨ ⁨ ⁨ ⁨ ⁨ ⁨ ⁨ ⁨ ⁨ ⁨ ⁨ ⁨ ⁨ ⁨ ⁨ ⁨ ⁨ ⁨ ⁨ ⁨ ⁨ ⁨ ⁨ ⁨ ⁨ ⁨ ⁨ ⁨ ⁨

Postby Technetium » Fri Feb 12, 2016 4:06 pm

IAmAMunchlax wrote:Also please try not to claim if there is no significant reason, that just makes you more of a target from both sides.

There's some guy trying to get people to test out D1 massclaims. He's very salty about it.
Even later on, don't reveal your role unless you're close to being lynched or have important information.

The last poster to survive Blindside Island will win a cookie. Or perhaps 1500...
Technetium
Godfather
Godfather

Postby IAmAMunchlax » Fri Feb 12, 2016 4:12 pm

Technetium wrote:
IAmAMunchlax wrote:Also please try not to claim if there is no significant reason, that just makes you more of a target from both sides.

There's some guy trying to get people to test out D1 massclaims. He's very salty about it.
Even later on, don't reveal your role unless you're close to being lynched or have important information.

I like you.
IAmAMunchlax
Halloween 2015 Winner
Halloween 2015 Winner

Location: ⁨ ⁨ ⁨ ⁨ ⁨ ⁨ ⁨ ⁨ ⁨ ⁨ ⁨ ⁨ ⁨ ⁨ ⁨ ⁨ ⁨ ⁨ ⁨⁨ ⁨ ⁨ ⁨ ⁨ ⁨ ⁨ ⁨ ⁨ ⁨ ⁨ ⁨ ⁨ ⁨ ⁨ ⁨ ⁨ ⁨ ⁨ ⁨ ⁨ ⁨ ⁨ ⁨ ⁨ ⁨ ⁨ ⁨ ⁨ ⁨

Postby TheChosenOne095 » Fri Feb 12, 2016 4:14 pm

Anyone has some previous experience in FM(talking about the new players of course)? My only previous experience is a simplified version of FM with werewolves instead of mafia that i played in the Telltale Games forums.
TheChosenOne095
Doctor
Doctor

Postby melanora » Fri Feb 12, 2016 4:27 pm

IAmAMunchlax wrote:
Technetium wrote:

I like you.

inb4 munch softclaims first thing d2.
#overthrowthepatriarchy #babyforfmmod
I'm not a fucking gmod. Don't send me shit about your ban appeal.

FM Record
Spoiler: Image
melanora
Retributionist
Retributionist

Postby IAmAMunchlax » Fri Feb 12, 2016 4:28 pm

Ew no.
IAmAMunchlax
Halloween 2015 Winner
Halloween 2015 Winner

Postby Technetium » Fri Feb 12, 2016 4:30 pm

Sooo...who haven't we heard from yet?

Technetium
Godfather
Godfather

Postby TheChosenOne095 » Fri Feb 12, 2016 4:34 pm

RetralMega wrote:Just saying hi.

Bye now.

Nuuuuu! Come back
TheChosenOne095
Doctor
Doctor

Postby Technetium » Fri Feb 12, 2016 4:38 pm

I'm having to leave for a bit.
The Terminator wrote:I'll be back.

Returning in a couple of hours probably.

Technetium
Godfather
Godfather

Postby Rickdaily12 » Fri Feb 12, 2016 4:51 pm

Spoiler:
Rickdaily12 wrote:Okay, here on a computer now. First comes my obligatory NFM Post (that every IC player feels the need to do, idrk why, honestly I feel anyone who picks up FM can really get the hang of it enough to not need our advice, but eh :lol: )

There are a few things every player needs to keep in mind:

1. Mafia can communicate at ANY time. Night OR Day. It's actually a necessary advantage for them, since we're stronger than usual games. When you play regular FM, you'll probably end up seeing Mafia as you've always remembered seeing it in Town of Salem- they can only communicate at Night. Here, they have both. Also important to note is our own lack of whispers. Yeah... we used to have these too... and I can sorta understand why we don't anymore. With 120 hours per regular Day Phase, Town has a much stronger advantage because, as you probably figure, 80 seconds worth of Day Phase for evils to be able to stfu and get away with it is a very real thing. Also regular in ToS is overall player stupidity (sometimes gamethrowers), all of which gets moderated and filtered out of here.
TL:DR it's a much more strict player base, smarter, and longer games. But hey- if you can commit the time, it's fun as hell. Which leads to:

2. Being Active OR Aware is the single most fucking important thing to do. Post, post often. Read what people say. The longer you take before posting something, the more you better be writing about to signal to us that you've been paying attention. It DOES NOT MATTER if you are Town or Evil, being active or aware keeps your player slot strong and living. If you're Town, being active makes it easier to catch the Mafia. If you're Mafia, being active makes people want to like you. The difference is being able to figure out what motives people have in making certain posts. But usually you can tell who is Mafia once they start making posts that sound odd or different from their usual play (especially when you're an IC), or once they hint at something that clearly doesn't play well for the Town.

3. Be yourself. If you have the Citizen role card, you probably have the strongest advantage out of everyone. As a Citizen, your only weapon of choice is your voice, and ONLY your voice. So show everyone what your usual self as Town would look like. If you got a Power Role, don't freak out and get nervous. You still want to try looking like a Citizen, making it look like you don't care if you get attacked. As Scum, you don't want to clue people in by being really nervous either. In short, the more comfortable you appear, the less likely you are to be (mis)lynched, and the less often you'll find yourself being attacked. You want people to have a hard time noticing anything new about you in this particular game- you'll usually find this leads to problems later on.

^ Just going to drop this here as some rules of thumb to people who don't know what they're doing. By the way, if you're someone who hates reading and prefers quickness of games, rather than actually being verbal, I will point blank tell you that you are playing this game entirely wrong. If you don't like it, then this isn't for you.

Hey Leese. :) Good to see you. And you, Retral. Everyone else new, I don't really know you. (Except for knowing of YoursTruely)

Some other things worth pointing out about myself this very moment:

1. I'm drugged as all hell on over-the-counter pain medications, because:
2. My foot looks like a split strawberry.

So if I'm a bit more irritable or stressed this game, please bear with me, because I am experiencing some pain for the time being. The things I'm on shouldn't be mentally impairing in any way, but stress could be a factor. Just letting everyone know while it's going on.

Something else immediately catching my eye:

Technetium wrote:Okay. So. This is my first game here, although I have played a lot of ToS and I did read through NFM 1-8 in preparation for this.
So let's get started. Everyone here needs to do a lot of posting, as it helps make reads. I'm starting on that now.

One other thing, the first day is often used in part to discuss what Mafia combinations would be worst to face. Judging from previous games, the worst Mafia member to face is Janitor, for giving claimspace, and the worst team is probably Janitor/Consort/Consig, because that gives them a lot of versatility and information control.

Technetium wrote:Good point on that. The Town setup matters more than that of the Mafia. I'm just trying to kickstart discussion while I can.

By the way, Invenio, do you think that at some point you might put a list of ISOs in the OP? It doesn't have to be now, obviously, but I'd like to be able to look through that easily by D2.

Hi there. You know, call me paranoid, but something tells me you know all too well what you're actually doing here. Yes, I heard you when you said "I've read all sorts of games to get an idea", but personally, I get vibes telling me that there's more going on. :P

Have you played more Mafia, than just Town of Salem? Because you're very eager to try something that is quite different- but you look strikingly as though you belong with the rest of us double-digits on the Player List.
"Don't lie this is all so you could post Ace Attorney gifs and have it be relevant isn't it." ~Sarah Thorpe

Looking for guides? :D

Check out the LGBTAI+ Thread!

Rickdaily12
FM Awards: Town

Postby Technetium » Fri Feb 12, 2016 4:57 pm

...I can't tell if that's a compliment or an accusation. And this is my first time playing a Forum Mafia game on any forum, although my reading of the previous NFM games was meant specifically so I could have a good knowledge of what to do and what not to do before starting. And in the first of two posts you quoted, I should clarify that when I said "I'm starting on that now," I didn't mean I was starting the reads now, but rather starting making posts.

Technetium
Godfather
Godfather

Postby Rickdaily12 » Fri Feb 12, 2016 5:00 pm

It is mostly meant to be a compliment. I'd be a lot more suspicious of you if you had much fewer posts, in all honesty. The commitment you've put onto the forums does make me more inclined to believe you're someone new (and very aware) to this version of Mafia. I can see that you've spent some time trying to get a good hold of what you're getting yourself into.

Do be advised that you've raised the bar on yourself as a result, though, in my eyes. Comes with the territory- proving yourself as capable has its own pros and cons. Now, let me ask you this, since you brought it up...

...but what exactly are you trying to do with the ISOs at this time?
"Don't lie this is all so you could post Ace Attorney gifs and have it be relevant isn't it." ~Sarah Thorpe

Rickdaily12

Postby melanora » Fri Feb 12, 2016 5:03 pm

... The fuck did you do to your foot?
#overthrowthepatriarchy #babyforfmmod
I'm not a fucking gmod. Don't send me shit about your ban appeal.

FM Record
melanora
Retributionist
Retributionist

Postby Rickdaily12 » Fri Feb 12, 2016 5:03 pm

melanora wrote:... The fuck did you do to your foot?

Overgrown toeskin.

For god's sake, don't google it.

Rickdaily12

Postby Technetium » Fri Feb 12, 2016 5:04 pm

Rickdaily12 wrote:...but what exactly are you trying to do with the ISOs at this time?

Nothing, yet. I wanted to have them ready for the end of the day or so, but figured it would be a longer time before they were put up. You may notice I expressed surprise when they were up so soon after I asked.

Technetium
Godfather
Godfather

Postby ZSSDistortion » Fri Feb 12, 2016 5:05 pm

Ouch Rick, that must be annoying to have. On topic though:

quote="Technetium"]Sooo...who haven't we heard from yet?[/quote]

Alyxie, Azamelto, Leese, BigARod, YoursTruely haven't posted so far. Let's hope they at least check-in today. Though like Rick said, you seem well-informed about FM. That's gonna be good for the Town when we get to D2.

Forgot to mention, I may suddenly go offline at times for a while due to internet problems, but I will try to be here as often as possible like I mentioned earlier. With that being said, anybody got any other discussion points to talk about?

FM Record
17-13-1
ZSSDistortion
Benefactor
Benefactor

Postby Technetium » Fri Feb 12, 2016 5:09 pm

Judging from the past NFM games, I estimate that two will replace out.

Technetium
Godfather
Godfather

Postby Rickdaily12 » Fri Feb 12, 2016 5:13 pm

Generally, everyone, the key to looking comfortable, while being helpful, is by constantly giving your viewpoint, while being aware of what everyone else thinks about it. Motivation and Context are both critical to the game, as you need to think about why people are doing what they're doing, or saying what they're saying.

When you look at someone in this way, make sure to put yourself in all perspectives. Try to see the benefit of the doubt first. After having done that, try to see what they might gain from a scummier angle. Try to figure out if it seems like they're pushing a longer term group-oriented agenda (as Mafia), or if they're trying to map out the best means of survival while waiting for the most of us to die. (as Witch).

Here's what you never do, ever, unless you absolutely have a rock solid provable reason behind it:

1. If you are Town, never, ever, be okay with the thought of you dying. THIS IS NEVER A TOWN-MOTIVATED THING TO DO.
2. If you are Town, never, ever, think there is gain in trying to set someone else (that you think is Town) to die.
3. Never, ever, vote someone who has voted you, for the only reason that they voted you.
4. Don't go inactive, and don't ignore people asking you questions.
5. It's totally okay to have fun, and have a sense of humour. But if you're never serious, ever, I will probably start trying to hang you.

Know when to be a skeptic. But also, know when to stop being forgiving. A day phase with 120 hours is not a call to make fast movements. Town generally benefits when those hours are all utilized effectively at all times. Be aware that acting too soon will make people uncomfortable of you.

Do not take those hours for granted either. Just waiting for other people to do the talking for you is like being a sheep. It's not helpful.

I will defend you in any way I can as long as you adhere to these rules.

Rickdaily12

Postby Rickdaily12 » Fri Feb 12, 2016 5:16 pm

Basically:

The more involved you look;
The more you're able to back everything you say with valid reasons;
The more you consider the innocence of the person you're questioning, trying to eliminate those doubts FIRST:

then the more I will like you.

Rickdaily12

Postby Technetium » Fri Feb 12, 2016 5:18 pm

Rickdaily12 wrote:Be aware that acting too soon will make people uncomfortable of you.

I read somewhere in here that a quick lynch cutting the discussion time short only benefits scum, even if scum is lynched.

Technetium
Godfather
Godfather

Postby Rickdaily12 » Fri Feb 12, 2016 5:23 pm

That's because Town Organization hurts Scum when done properly. They want to either trick us into lynching incorrectly, or waste all the time we have to discuss who's been acting oddly. Some Town members (especially newer players) might not fully understand this though. So try not to be that guy who immediately looks to kill someone for saying something that doesn't make too much sense, something exactly like no lynch.

As it stands, five of us have to die before the Evils win, and that number only increases the more we focus our sights onto them.

So I'm actually fine with not lynching, if we truly don't know who is evil, from who is just mistaken or not a good player. Especially in NFM.

Remember that Mafia is talking at ALL times, not just at Night.
They will be constantly trying to figure out who to frame us into killing during the Day for them.
They win by tricking us into rushing our decisions. They risk so much more the longer we force them to lie.

Rickdaily12

Postby IAmAMunchlax » Fri Feb 12, 2016 5:24 pm

Technetium wrote:
Rickdaily12 wrote:Be aware that acting too soon will make people uncomfortable of you.

I read somewhere in here that a quick lynch cutting the discussion time short only benefits scum, even if scum is lynched.

Exactly, even if we find scum we want to wait till we've discussed everything there is to discuss, plus there's always the chance to catch more scum in the same day.
IAmAMunchlax
Halloween 2015 Winner
Halloween 2015 Winner

Postby Leese » Fri Feb 12, 2016 5:28 pm

Rickdaily12 wrote:Hey Leese. :) Good to see you. And you, Retral. Everyone else new, I don't really know you. (Except for knowing of YoursTruely)

Forum logged me out while I was writing my last reply and I lost it... so here we go again!

HI RICK! I wasn't expecting this game to start up as quickly as it did but I'm glad it did because I had a lot of fun the first time around.

I just got back to the UK after a 10 day trip to Dallas so my body clock is all kinds of screwed up, otherwise I probably would have checked in sooner. In addition to that, my dog had surgery a couple of days ago and trying to stop him from crashing into everything and knocking things off of the table with his lampshade-like cone is another struggle.

This is my second NFM game and I loved my introduction to forum mafia but let me just say...

PLEASE no D2 hardclaims or general inactivity. PRETTY PLEASE.

I really like the enthusiasm and preparedness that Technetium is bringing to the game already and hope the other players take it equally as seriously.

Also, I googled overgrown toe skin and really, really wish I hadn't.

Spoiler: I'm sure I said something else in my other post that the forum swallowed up but I can't remember what it was.
Names Used: Llanita | Nonpoint | Rabia

Fave Roles: Lookout | Transporter | Investigator | Consigliere | Serial Killer | Amnesiac

25 Wins as:
Spoiler: Bodyguard, Doctor, Escort, Investigator, Jailor, Lookout, Mayor, Medium, Retributionist, Sheriff, Spy, Transporter, Veteran, Vigilante, Godfather, Mafioso, Survivor

Forum Mafia Record:
Spoiler: NFM 8 - Consigliere - Win
NFM 10 - Janitor - Loss
NFM 12 - In Progress

Leese
Witch
Witch

PreviousNext

Return to Game Threads