TFM18 | AoM: War of the Titans | Titans Win! (World Reborn)

The threads where you play mafia will be posted here.

Moderators: Varanus, FM Game Moderators

Re: TFM18 | AoM: War of the Titans | D1 (Mount Olympus)

Postby Elastoid » Thu Feb 11, 2016 12:15 pm

Neasans wrote:
Elastoid wrote:
Neasans wrote:Paraphrased: they said green or red and asked me which I was, claimed to be grey, then said I needed them too.

Tbqh I'm more inclined to think they're an older player since I hadn't even posted in the thread once so I can't think of any reason for them to have messaged me unless they know me from other games.

They said you needed them, as well?

That's an odd thing to say if they don't know your role.

Well, they are confirmed scum to me since they claimed grey, so I'm guessing they're either a Neutral trying to take a stab in the dark somehow hoping I wouldn't out them, or a Mafia trying to either find a Neutral or to fake a Neutral. I'm kind of leaning Neutral on them on the fact that they claimed it and seemed to want to fish out at me.

I can't really think of any other reason to message a person who hadn't even posted in the game yet, other than possibly knowing them from another game/meta.

I'm gonna have to agree that the setup seems to likely be 6v2v1, considering how 1 Mafia would seem too little and 3 would be too much since 5v3v1 would be bullshit for us. And there's apparently a Mafia or some equivalent considering how the message guy seemed to be sure "red" people exist, plus the OP states no NKs or conversions iirc, so the only other type of scum that doesn't fit that bill afaik is a Mafia. So I'm guessing there might be two Mafia and a Neutral (whoever it is that can send messages).

tl;dr: I think it has to be someone I know since I can't think of any other reason for them to message me out of all people.

You're making a lot of assumptions I'm not ready yet to make. I have another important question but it MAY be unlawful to answer (because I know fuck all about the rules) but did you get the message DURING the day, or at the BEGINNING of the day?

That is to say, you posted about it 4 hours into the day. Either this is an ability that can be used DURING the day, or it's an ability that can be used at the beginning of the day. If it's something that can be used during the day, it's particularly silly to use it so early in the day, on a person who hasn't posted. We can possibly extrapolate from that -- if it had to be used before the day began, then NO ONE posted, and it's irrelevant that it came to you as opposed to someone else. If it was used during the day... then that may say a lot about the player who used it, besides just that they know you.
Elastoid
Veteran
Veteran

Postby TheCow » Thu Feb 11, 2016 12:16 pm

To be fair, his another post is about as long and curvey as -- what we can only assume -- his massive dick.
TheCow
[Forum Mafia XII] Winner
[Forum Mafia XII] Winner

Postby Neasans » Thu Feb 11, 2016 12:22 pm

I wasn't awake when Day started, but looking at the times alone, I think it was about an hour into the Day.
Lmao my old sig was so angry I can't even

Time really is...something
Neasans
Philanthropist
Philanthropist

Location: Wondering what the heck my teenage self was thinking in here

Postby VonAntarctic » Thu Feb 11, 2016 12:24 pm

deferentsheep wrote:hiook ur rite I'm iliterlalltkgsygsec sryy i xnabt read brb srlfvoting

No need to do "le mem" reactions. It's useless.

As for the blackmailer thingy, I think it could have been, well, anyone who could send you that. Sure, you can have assumptions, but you have facts - and those facts are that the person who sent you that, most probably thought you were scum and tried to reach out to you. Also, you had the chance to read it about 1 hour into the day, that means the message must have been written before that, and thus if we think that this is a standard blackmailer ability, it could be only those that were in 1 hour into the day - Me, Cyantic, Retral, Swordsworth.
R.I.P 2015

and

Welcome 2016.
VonAntarctic
[Forum Mafia VIII] Winner

Postby TheCow » Thu Feb 11, 2016 12:25 pm

The bm only had protown motivation
TheCow
[Forum Mafia XII] Winner
[Forum Mafia XII] Winner

Postby RetralMega » Thu Feb 11, 2016 12:25 pm

VonAntarctic wrote:
deferentsheep wrote:hiook ur rite I'm iliterlalltkgsygsec sryy i xnabt read brb srlfvoting

As for the blackmailer thingy, I think it could have been, well, anyone who could send you that. Sure, you can have assumptions, but you have facts - and those facts are that the person who sent you that, most probably thought you were scum and tried to reach out to you. Also, you had the chance to read it about 1 hour into the day, that means the message must have been written before that, and thus if we think that this is a standard blackmailer ability, it could be only those that were in 1 hour into the day - Me, Cyantic, Retral, Swordsworth.

Met too.
RetralMega
Patron
Patron

Postby VonAntarctic » Thu Feb 11, 2016 12:28 pm

RetralMega wrote:
VonAntarctic wrote:

Met too.

Oh, yes. Metrion posted too.

So that's 5 out of 9. If we think of a normal Blackmailer ability, Cow and Elastoid are out and likely do not have this ability.

TheCow wrote:The bm only had protown motivation

How so?
If Neasans was scum and the BM'er was scum too, they would have found themselves and would be able to communicate. Of course it has pro-town motivation in terms of catching scum off-guard, but I lack to see just protown motivation.
R.I.P 2015

and

Welcome 2016.
VonAntarctic

Postby TheCow » Thu Feb 11, 2016 12:29 pm

do you have a pr or some shit
TheCow
[Forum Mafia XII] Winner
[Forum Mafia XII] Winner

Postby VonAntarctic » Thu Feb 11, 2016 12:32 pm

TheCow wrote:do you have a pr or some shit

Public Relations agent? No.

Power Role? That'd be fishing, dude.
R.I.P 2015

and

Welcome 2016.
VonAntarctic

Postby RetralMega » Thu Feb 11, 2016 12:32 pm

So in every situation provided, Cy is pretty scummy? I think he's our lynch target for the day.

Btw, if I save you for a phase, it will NOT notify you. It's like Marshall, but I don't save you. Just for the night.
RetralMega
Patron
Patron

Postby TheCow » Thu Feb 11, 2016 12:36 pm

A post restriction. Specifically, one where you need to roleplay as Mroz.
TheCow
[Forum Mafia XII] Winner
[Forum Mafia XII] Winner

Postby Cyantic » Thu Feb 11, 2016 12:36 pm

Von's vote is 'lulz' worthy. Retral's claim is neither telling nor scummy.
Spoiler: Image
Cyantic
[Forum Mafia V] Winner
[Forum Mafia V] Winner

Postby Cyantic » Thu Feb 11, 2016 12:43 pm

Cyantic wrote:Von's vote is 'lulz' worthy. Retral's claim is neither telling nor scummy.

More specifically - he either has no fucking clue what I'm doing or his vote is RVS.
Spoiler: Image
Cyantic
[Forum Mafia V] Winner
[Forum Mafia V] Winner

Postby Elastoid » Thu Feb 11, 2016 12:53 pm

TheCow wrote:The bm only had protown motivation

A man of few words, but I'm inclined to agree.

http://vocaroo.com/i/s0LfIHfKXDVJ

Okay so I hate spending a lot of time discussing "maybes," but let's look at some assumptions and questions from the message sent to Neasans.

1) Was it an optimal play? If we're talking about a message that can occur any time during the day, we can almost immediately say "no." Using it early on a player whose role you do not know seems in almost all cases to be less useful than a message used even right now, at this stage of a very long day.

The only version of a role that would make the message to Neasans potentially the best play available would be if the message occurred at the beginning of every day. As soon as we're expending finite charges, it's a questionable play. As soon as we're expending a day ability that early, it becomes almost a nullo play (assuming briefly that the role can't send several anonymous messages per day, throughout the day). Thus, if the message was used optimally, it was used at the beginning of the day as sort of a forced play. Otherwise, it was a questionable play at best.

2) What was the message designed to elicit? It's unlikely that any experienced player would expect an honest response telling his alignment -- particularly not from any OTHER experienced player. This message was either an attempt to make contact, OR a reaction test. If it was a reaction test, the reaction expected would be that Neasans would immediately announce the contents of the message to the group at large.

There are a lot of implications you can derive from that but the first problem I have is that such a reaction test seems an experienced play that would likely come from a veteran. I consider myself a pretty smart guy, but if I were in the position of having a role like this, it's unlikely that I would find the play of messaging a player for a reaction test that early. It's a clever idea.

So here's the issue -- I have difficulty believing that a seasoned, capable veteran of this game would engage in a nullo play. In other words, the profile for the kind of person who would send the reaction test is NOT the profile of the kind of person who would waste the message early in the day when a better play would almost certainly arise later.

So we have two possible narratives -- one in which an inexperienced player made a dumb play, wasting his day message instantly on Neasans in a genuine attempt to get her role/alignment, or one in which a more expert player took an ability that would occur at the beginning of every day and found a clever reaction test use of it to get some mileage out of it even when nothing is known.

Anyone have any thoughts on this? I don't know everyone well enough to figure out which profile is more likely, or if there exists some other, likely possibility.
Elastoid
Veteran
Veteran

Postby Elastoid » Thu Feb 11, 2016 12:57 pm

VonAntarctic wrote:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3ksKETF0f4I

What?
Elastoid
Veteran
Veteran

Postby VonAntarctic » Thu Feb 11, 2016 1:08 pm

Elastoid wrote:
VonAntarctic wrote:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3ksKETF0f4I

What?

I just don't know anymore.

I feel like I'm just screwing up one thing after another. That's definietly not a fact, I'm dumb. But my main point still stands.

Cyantic wrote:
Cyantic wrote:Von's vote is 'lulz' worthy. Retral's claim is neither telling nor scummy.

More specifically - he either has no fucking clue what I'm doing or his vote is RVS.

deferent told me to vote who I think was the most scum out of those three options he gave me.

/unvote

TheCow wrote:A post restriction. Specifically, one where you need to roleplay as Mroz.

0% chance of that being true.
R.I.P 2015

and

Welcome 2016.
VonAntarctic

Postby TheCow » Thu Feb 11, 2016 1:16 pm

Oh, so being a cuck just comes naturally.
TheCow
[Forum Mafia XII] Winner
[Forum Mafia XII] Winner

Postby Swordsworth » Thu Feb 11, 2016 1:26 pm

Elastoid, what are those links? If they're intended to add to the game/your points, can I request you just type it out :| I can't practically view those on a phone.

That aside, I agree with your analysis of the 'BM' message. That seems to make the most sense right now. Unless we're being thrown for a loop. Meh.

My conspiracy theory is REALLY dumb, but went along the lines of: Met supports Retral's roleclaim as it's an idea that he used, and is more likely to believe. Coincidence???

Now that I think about it, not really.
Spoiler: Somewhere beyond the sea
Somewhere waiting for me

S E N A T O R M E M E C H I N O
Swordsworth
Patron
Patron

Postby Elastoid » Thu Feb 11, 2016 1:29 pm

TheCow wrote:Oh, so being a cuck just comes naturally.

I'm in agreement that Von's posting is sort of... let's just say "indicative of an outlook not fully consistent with the reality that the rest of us perceive."

But moving beyond that... what's scummy about it? When I see someone that ineffective, I figure he's not putting a whole lot of thought into his posts -- not the behavior I'd expect from someone with something to hide.

Which is to say, he's NOT posting like Mroz. He's paying very LITTLE attention to detail. I'd expect a more meticulous nature from a deceptive idiot.
Elastoid
Veteran
Veteran

Postby Elastoid » Thu Feb 11, 2016 1:35 pm

Swordsworth wrote:Elastoid, what are those links? If they're intended to add to the game/your points, can I request you just type it out :| I can't practically view those on a phone.

That aside, I agree with your analysis of the 'BM' message. That seems to make the most sense right now. Unless we're being thrown for a loop. Meh.

My conspiracy theory is REALLY dumb, but went along the lines of: Met supports Retral's roleclaim as it's an idea that he used, and is more likely to believe. Coincidence???

Now that I think about it, not really.

The vocaroo links are audio versions of my post. If I wax loquacious, you can rest assured that you can hear my soothing voice guiding you through my post, assisting your navigation through such difficult concepts.

Yeah you were spouting a lot of nonsense and I was trying to figure out if it was going somewhere or not. I kept my vote on Retral because I figured if you were scum trying to push something you might smell success and continue to push, but if (I found this more likely) you just wanted to feel like you were contributing by posting whatever popped into your head, then you'd backtrack once your idea seemed to gain any real traction.

/unvote
Elastoid
Veteran
Veteran

Postby Swordsworth » Thu Feb 11, 2016 1:37 pm

Elastoid wrote:Yeah you were spouting a lot of nonsense and I was trying to figure out if it was going somewhere or not. I kept my vote on Retral because I figured if you were scum trying to push something you might smell success and continue to push, but if (I found this more likely) you just wanted to feel like you were contributing by posting whatever popped into your head, then you'd backtrack once your idea seemed to gain any real traction.

...What? I don't understand this. How does that have anything to do with voting Retral?
Somewhere waiting for me

Swordsworth
Patron
Patron

Postby Swordsworth » Thu Feb 11, 2016 1:39 pm

Also, I wasn't just spouting nonsense. I do have a few strong reads, which I'll keep to myself for now.
Somewhere waiting for me

Swordsworth
Patron
Patron

Postby Elastoid » Thu Feb 11, 2016 1:45 pm

Swordsworth wrote:
Elastoid wrote:Yeah you were spouting a lot of nonsense and I was trying to figure out if it was going somewhere or not. I kept my vote on Retral because I figured if you were scum trying to push something you might smell success and continue to push, but if (I found this more likely) you just wanted to feel like you were contributing by posting whatever popped into your head, then you'd backtrack once your idea seemed to gain any real traction.

...What? I don't understand this. How does that have anything to do with voting Retral?

You were on about the Met/Retral connection.

Swordsworth wrote:Well, how refreshing. /s

Too many conspiracy theories are roaming my head right now. What remains constant is that I don't trust this Met-Retral interaction.

My vote on Retral had two purposes. One, to see if he started flailing angrily as I've seen him do briefly in two other games (which is saying a lot because I've only read, like, two and a half games). Second, to see if you jumped on it.

Elastoid wrote:
I'm also curious where you're going with Met-Retral. I'm interested to find out what you think is specifically scummy there.

You responded backing off, which I find comforting.

Swordsworth wrote:Also, I wasn't just spouting nonsense. I do have a few strong reads, which I'll keep to myself for now.

It's possible you aren't THINKING nonsense, and that there's some method to your madness (some reason behind your nonsense), but much of what you said was nonsense.

For example, noting that Neasans posted five times in a row as if there weren't a perfectly valid reason for it. Making ANYTHING of that was silly, but bringing it up, and ostensibly making an effort NOT to make anything of it was pure nonsense.
Elastoid
Veteran
Veteran

Postby Swordsworth » Thu Feb 11, 2016 1:52 pm

Ah, that makes more sense. Yeah I had a theory that worked well until I actually thought about it. Back to the drawing board for now.

Meh, random is random.
Somewhere waiting for me

Swordsworth
Patron
Patron

Postby RetralMega » Thu Feb 11, 2016 1:59 pm

Elastoid wrote:
Swordsworth wrote:

You were on about the Met/Retral connection.

Swordsworth wrote:Well, how refreshing. /s

Too many conspiracy theories are roaming my head right now. What remains constant is that I don't trust this Met-Retral interaction.

My vote on Retral had two purposes. One, to see if he started flailing angrily as I've seen him do briefly in two other games (which is saying a lot because I've only read, like, two and a half games). Second, to see if you jumped on it.

Elastoid wrote:
I'm also curious where you're going with Met-Retral. I'm interested to find out what you think is specifically scummy there.

You responded backing off, which I find comforting.

Swordsworth wrote:Also, I wasn't just spouting nonsense. I do have a few strong reads, which I'll keep to myself for now.

It's possible you aren't THINKING nonsense, and that there's some method to your madness (some reason behind your nonsense), but much of what you said was nonsense.

For example, noting that Neasans posted five times in a row as if there weren't a perfectly valid reason for it. Making ANYTHING of that was silly, but bringing it up, and ostensibly making an effort NOT to make anything of it was pure nonsense.

What two games did you read? I'm Town in most of them and act the same in all games regardless of role.
RetralMega
Patron
Patron

PreviousNext

Return to Game Threads