Making the chat filter more efficient

Leave your suggestions about the game here!

Making the chat filter more efficient

Postby Vanicre31 » Sun Jan 17, 2021 6:17 am

The current chat filter is inefficient, only shows chat messages and you never know when that person said that statement. So I wanna suggest some changes.

1. All of the players statements will be divided into days and nights (Day 1, Night 2 etc.)
2. You will see if the player sent or received a whisper. You can see the whispers that you sent to the player and the whispers they sent to you.
4. You will know who they voted to the stand and if they voted innocent or guilty.
5. If you and the player share a night chat (Mafia, Coven, Vampires). It will show the chat there as well including their night action.

Here is an example of the proposed changes if you're still confused.

You are looking at John Hawthorne's (Godfather) chat filter as Samuel Sewall (Mafioso).

Day 1
John Hawthorne: Good luck. Have fun.
Night 1
John Hawthorne: Any ideas on who to kill?
John Hawthorne has decided to kill Abegail Hobbs
Day 2
John Hawthorne: Got any leads?
Sarah Good is whispering to John Hawthorne
John Hawthorne to Samuel Sewall: Sarah Good is witch. She whispered to me.
John Hawthorne: I agree, Let's up Giles Corey
John Hawthorne has voted up against Giles Corey
John Hawthorne: That's fake. I'm guiltying
John Hawthorne has voted guilty
Night 2
John Hawthorne: Consig, what is Betty's role?
John Hawthorne has decided to kill Betty Parris
John Hawthorne: Betty never claimed Jailor to the Town. TP won't be on her.
Vanicre31
Jester
Jester

Re: Making the chat filter more efficient

Postby syjfwbaobfwl » Sun Jan 17, 2021 8:46 am

Yeah the chat filter should at least show votes
Whispers too

/support
syjfwbaobfwl
Jailor
Jailor

Postby PKFlash » Mon Jan 18, 2021 12:58 am

/support

It'd also be neat if whispers and votes would be highlighted when you set the chat log to just highlight a specific player's messages.
Pretend I put some profound quote here
PKFlash
Jester
Jester

Postby kyuss420 » Mon Jan 18, 2021 2:40 am

/no support

If youre too dumb to pay attention to votes early game, you shouldnt be spoon fed that information late game. You have 30 seconds of night, use it.

Same for whispers.... If you didnt care to pay attention, you shouldnt be spoon fed that info when you decide to start caring.....

It just makes for lazy players early game, not paying attention in case they die early..... Leave it as is, so players are forced to pay attention early if they want to win.
goosegoosegoosegoosegoose
Spoiler: Image Spoiler: Image Spoiler: Image Spoiler: Image Spoiler: Image
kyuss420
Serial Killer
Serial Killer

Postby CapWarrior2 » Mon Jan 18, 2021 6:05 am

kyuss420 wrote:/no support

If youre too dumb to pay attention to votes early game, you shouldnt be spoon fed that information late game. You have 30 seconds of night, use it.

Same for whispers.... If you didnt care to pay attention, you shouldnt be spoon fed that info when you decide to start caring.....

It just makes for lazy players early game, not paying attention in case they die early..... Leave it as is, so players are forced to pay attention early if they want to win.

Whilst this being entirely true, the game also has to support for newer players aswell, just because you already know how to scum read efficiently doesn't mean new players can, and this would be a great step for newer players to learn how to use the chat filter to their advantage. I support this 100%
Idea Index:
Click Here

Reworked Idea:
Omen - Neutral(Evil)

Testing Grounds:
Come visit!
CapWarrior2
Doctor
Doctor

Postby OreCreeper » Mon Jan 18, 2021 8:42 am

I would support adding whispers into the chat filter. That's about it though, everything else just feels unnecessary.
OreCreeper
Vigilante
Vigilante

Postby Ezradekezra » Mon Jan 18, 2021 10:19 am

That's a really weird reason to not support a QoL update

When the game relies on reading, the information necessary to make those reads should be readily available and easy to sort through
Ezradekezra
Halloween 2020 Winner
Halloween 2020 Winner

Postby Royee » Mon Jan 18, 2021 11:07 am

/support
Recent Town game - 21A
Recent Mafia game - VFM73
Recent Neutral game - 17B
Royee
Easter 2020 Winner
Easter 2020 Winner

Postby cob709 » Mon Jan 18, 2021 11:15 am

I would love to be able to go back and check things quickly.

/support

The only problem I could see is that the filter will take longer to load, but I'm fine with that.
I SEE ALL
cob709
Mayor
Mayor

Postby kyuss420 » Tue Jan 19, 2021 5:29 am

Ezradekezra wrote:

When the game relies on reading, the information necessary to make those reads should be readily available and easy to sort through

Not really. Player skill also reflects on their time management skills during night and day phases, how fast they can make decisions (or change decisions) giving them time to reread day chat, check votes, check claims etc

Making it so that you can instantly check if someone is lying, by clicking a button just makes it hack. As it is, your lie wont get past good players, but it will get past bad players. Bad players dont need a ''click to get smart'' button.....

Either pay attention or manage your time better. Town doesnt need this kind of buff.
goosegoosegoosegoosegoose
Spoiler: Image Spoiler: Image Spoiler: Image Spoiler: Image Spoiler: Image
kyuss420
Serial Killer
Serial Killer

Postby CapWarrior2 » Tue Jan 19, 2021 6:06 am

kyuss420 wrote:
Ezradekezra wrote:

Not really. Player skill also reflects on their time management skills during night and day phases, how fast they can make decisions (or change decisions) giving them time to reread day chat, check votes, check claims etc

Making it so that you can instantly check if someone is lying, by clicking a button just makes it hack. As it is, your lie wont get past good players, but it will get past bad players. Bad players dont need a ''click to get smart'' button.....

Either pay attention or manage your time better. Town doesnt need this kind of buff.

Again, you need to think about beginner players and the very steep learning curve they are gonna have to go through. For them it won't be a o'clock to get smart button' but rather reflect on how you acted and how others acted for you to be lynched or for your faction buddy to be lynched, so you can learn from those mistakes or try and to learn some of the tactics. I left the game for a while, came back played ranked for one of the first times and it was like a new game. Their was so much communication and cooperation it was overwhelming, not to mention the abbreviations and the tactics like vfr. Half the time I didn't even Jail someone when Jailor because I was trying to keep with everyone's talking and pushing. This would easily be one of the best additions to the game.
Idea Index:
Click Here

Reworked Idea:
Omen - Neutral(Evil)

Testing Grounds:
Come visit!
CapWarrior2
Doctor
Doctor

Postby Brilliand » Tue Jan 19, 2021 6:40 am

I'm wondering how you got through this proposal without including a proposal for actual timestamps. Surely that would be more helpful than a simple day/night division?

(Okay the timestamps should be in day::phase::seconds format, not hour::minute::seconds like most timestamps.)
Brilliand
Godfather
Godfather

Postby dolphina » Tue Jan 19, 2021 9:28 am

/support
I hate that i don’t have whispers in the fucking chat filter
Hi. I'm Caleb, and you're watching Disney Channel.

vocaloid KAITO #1 fan

He/they pronouns. Trans rights! I have fifteen names and infinite anxiety. I am the transgender masculine.

PM me for my Discord!
I’m a self proclaimed anarchist, and a god of chaos (apparently).
My stinky FM Record
dolphina
Blackmailer
Blackmailer

Postby deadlyblack » Wed Jan 20, 2021 12:06 am

/support

I always wondered by the chat filter didn't display votes, or days/night in which player spoke.

I don't support the ability to see whispers though, it would be too easy to confirm things with that knowledge.
Master document of all my role ideas and suggestions: Here
deadlyblack
Executioner
Executioner

Postby cookies4you » Wed Jan 20, 2021 12:33 am

kyuss420 wrote:
Ezradekezra wrote:

What an awful take.

But let's play your game. Let's just take away the chat log entirely and automatically export each day's chat logs as a txt file sent to your BMG account. If you can't manage all of the chat logs popping up in your online storage, then you're simply a lazy player who doesn't deserve to be spoon-fed that information in the first place. It doesn't matter in the slightest that getting chat logs is a completely asinine process that is way harder than it needs to be. After all, "good players" will already know how to automate the process with a macro and "bad players" don't deserve a "CLICK TO GET SMART" button in their game.

This idea that we shouldn't implement basic QoL features because it potentially makes it easier for bad players to perform better is astronomically stupid. There is zero reason to arbitrarily restrict information that everyone already has access to. The only difference between showing votes and whispers in filters and not is how much time you have to waste scrolling up.

And let's be honest here. If people are regularly exposing your lies with a simple peek of the chat filter, the issue probably isn't the chat filter.
cookies4you
Amnesiac
Amnesiac

Postby Ezradekezra » Wed Jan 20, 2021 1:12 am

kyuss420 wrote:
Ezradekezra wrote:

I really don't think making it so that you can see whether or not a player voted up a member of the Mafia more easily will be much of a buff to the Town. It's information that was already there, but the change would just organize it better so that you can find it more easily.

Additionally, making it easier to sort through information such as who voted for who and who whispered who would make it easier for newer players to get better at reading.

Also, in a game where phases are limited to being 30 seconds to a minute long, shouldn't it be made easier to read people quickly?
Ezradekezra
Halloween 2020 Winner
Halloween 2020 Winner

Postby Brilliand » Wed Jan 20, 2021 2:07 am

kyuss420 wrote:Making it so that you can instantly check if someone is lying, by clicking a button just makes it hack. As it is, your lie wont get past good players, but it will get past bad players. Bad players dont need a ''click to get smart'' button.....

Remembering what happened in the last 5 minutes isn't intelligence, it's busywork. Real intelligence is in figuring out what hidden knowledge the available evidence points to, and in picking the best play to make given that knowledge.

Let the game do the secretarial work so the players can focus on doing the hard part.
Brilliand
Godfather
Godfather

Postby dolphina » Wed Jan 20, 2021 2:27 pm

SMH Kyuus is just finding random reasons to discredit the qol suggestions F
Hi. I'm Caleb, and you're watching Disney Channel.

vocaloid KAITO #1 fan

He/they pronouns. Trans rights! I have fifteen names and infinite anxiety. I am the transgender masculine.

PM me for my Discord!
I’m a self proclaimed anarchist, and a god of chaos (apparently).
My stinky FM Record
dolphina
Blackmailer
Blackmailer

Postby syjfwbaobfwl » Wed Jan 20, 2021 3:44 pm

dolphina wrote:SMH Kyuus is just finding random reasons to discredit the qol suggestions F

His reasons to discredit stuff they dont like most of times is "noobs"
syjfwbaobfwl
Jailor
Jailor

Return to Suggestions