Streaming View

Leave your suggestions about the game here!

Streaming View

Postby Fluxling » Mon Jan 11, 2021 11:31 am

Sometimes my girlfriend and I (and undoubtedly others) want to stream a game of ToS on Twitch.
This is, of course, very problematic, because people search for the "Town of Salem" tag and join games they find in order to cheat using what they see on the stream.
To deal with this I automated some censorship images that hide things, but this is very problematic, it only worked up to a certain degree and it couldn't hide everything (it can hide the will and all the usual revealing info on the screen, but it can't censor revealing messages in the chat log, for example).
This is a real shame, as I'm sure it prevents people from streaming the game, which would increase its visibility and bring more potential players to the game.
The best solution for this would be support from the game itself.
I've seen someone suggest something similar (https://www.blankmediagames.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php?t=91511), but that was just about bunching some info together, and still wouldn't be an actual solution.
So I'd like to suggest something else: a "Streaming View" window.

This would be an additional window that the game opens, which shows the game just the same, only without all the sensitive information (or perhaps the game can run a local server you can connect to with a browser which shows this view, in order to avoid have multiple windows open).
Then a streamer can play the game on the main window and stream the Streaming View window/page, thus sharing the game without revealing anything onscreen.
Things that should be different in the Streaming View window:
  • The entire role selection process should not be shown, naturally.
  • Your own will, death note and notes when you open them should not show. The "death note" button should never be there as well.
  • No night activity should be displayed at all other than dying, including the chat.
  • Evil team members shown in the town list (e.g. "Mafioso" or "Vampire") should not be shown. Neither should your own role, but roles made "public" (e.g. a revealed Mayor) should still be there.
  • In the chat log, messages that relate to your role should be absent (e.g. previous night activity results, or other people's whispers).
  • Possibly your own whispers as well.
  • Role-specific day actions.
  • Your cursor should be hidden, otherwise people can see you click where the Death Note button would be, for example. This might need to be done on the streaming software though, I'm not sure.
  • I'm sure I missed some, but anything that can reveal information about your role or your teammates, really.
I think the decision of which of these are censored should be given to the player, so you can opt to show your own whispers if you want to, for example. Just have a list of these features with on/off buttons in the configuration.
Using all these differences, the Streaming View window should mirror the main window - e.g. when you click the "Chat Log" button, it should open the chat log on both windows.
I know this sounds like a lot of work, but I think it would be worth it to bring more people into the game and to be able to share the gameplay without people exploiting it and ruining it for others.
As it stands, almost everyone who streams it right now just encourages cheating, which I think is detrimental to the game. This idea would make streaming a safe and positive thing.
Fluxling
Executioner
Executioner

Re: Streaming View

Postby Paradox12 » Mon Jan 11, 2021 3:38 pm

Generally, streaming a game like TOS is a bad idea.
Paradox12
Transporter
Transporter

Postby syjfwbaobfwl » Mon Jan 11, 2021 4:31 pm

Or just dont stream because social deduction games are the most affected by stream sniping

And making a very complicated thing just for a few people is probably something that the devs will not doo
syjfwbaobfwl
Jailor
Jailor

Postby kyuss420 » Tue Jan 12, 2021 2:41 am

If all those things were hidden from the viewer, it would be a pretty boring stream to watch.....

Cant you just delay the stream for like 20 minutes?
goosegoosegoosegoosegoose
Spoiler: Image Spoiler: Image Spoiler: Image Spoiler: Image Spoiler: Image
kyuss420
Serial Killer
Serial Killer

Postby CapWarrior2 » Tue Jan 12, 2021 3:48 am

kyuss420 wrote:If all those things were hidden from the viewer, it would be a pretty boring stream to watch.....

Cant you just delay the stream for like 20 minutes?

People find ways.
Idea Index:
Click Here

Reworked Idea:
Omen - Neutral(Evil)

Testing Grounds:
Come visit!
CapWarrior2
Doctor
Doctor

Return to Suggestions