Can't say "Fine Black Gentleman" due to vulgar content???

Leave your suggestions about the game here!

Can't say "Fine Black Gentleman" due to vulgar content???

Postby cshizzle » Fri Jan 01, 2021 11:17 pm

I suggest that you guys revise your chat filter. For some reason I can't say the word "Fine Black Gentleman". I especially like to say it when town won't vote for obvious mafia, I like to ask everyone why they are being so Fine Black Gentleman with their votes.

Definition according to Merriam Webster:

Definition of Fine Black Gentleman
see usage paragraph below

1: grudgingly mean about spending or granting : BEGRUDGING
… management was being Fine Black Gentleman with raises.

2: provided in meanly limited supply
… Fine Black Gentleman funding of planetary science.
cshizzle
Doctor
Doctor

Re: Can't say "Fine Black Gentleman" due to vulgar content??

Postby cshizzle » Fri Jan 01, 2021 11:18 pm

I guess the chat filter is in effect here too. The word I'm trying to say is N I G G A R D L Y. It means to be stingey/cheap.
cshizzle
Doctor
Doctor

Postby kyuss420 » Sat Jan 02, 2021 4:13 am

no one cares what you want to say (or cant type)
goosegoosegoosegoosegoose
Spoiler: Image Spoiler: Image Spoiler: Image Spoiler: Image Spoiler: Image
kyuss420
Serial Killer
Serial Killer

Postby Midio7 » Sat Jan 02, 2021 2:57 pm

You can always write like this: ,,Fine B lack Gentleman".
Just a guy who plays Town Of Salem daily
Midio7
Lookout
Lookout

Postby Ezradekezra » Sat Jan 02, 2021 3:18 pm

W H A T

Are you seriously complaining about a racial slur being hard-filtered?
Ezradekezra
Halloween 2020 Winner
Halloween 2020 Winner

Postby Yosh1123 » Sat Jan 02, 2021 4:12 pm

he's not racist, he just wants to use a hard filtered word without consequences
Yosh1123
Civilian
Civilian

Postby Brilliand » Sun Jan 03, 2021 1:21 am

Ezradekezra wrote:W H A T

Did you read his second post?

The actual word he was trying to use is not a racial slur.
Brilliand
Godfather
Godfather

Postby deadlyblack » Sun Jan 03, 2021 4:46 am

How does the phrase "Fine Black Gentleman" connect to the ACTUAL word you're wanting to saying (2nd post), without it having some type of racial demeaning underlying message?
Master document of all my role ideas and suggestions: Here
deadlyblack
Executioner
Executioner

Postby Flavorable » Sun Jan 03, 2021 5:23 am

There's a reason this word is barely used anymore to begin with.

Regardless, because part of the word is filtered, the entire word is filtered. And I can already tell you that chances of that part of the word being excluded from the filter, just so someone can use an archaic term that has plenty of other synonyms is highly unlikely.
No reply to your support ticket after 15 business days? PM me with your ticket number.

You may PM me for clarifications on appeal verdicts, but keep in mind the verdict will not change.

Do you have 151+ games played and want to help rid the community of toxic players and gamethrowers? Join the Trial System today: https://www.blankmediagames.com/Trial/#start

Also, check out the Trial System Discord Server: https://discord.gg/K5SnyJS
Flavorable
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby Brilliand » Sun Jan 03, 2021 6:00 am

deadlyblack wrote:How does the phrase "Fine Black Gentleman" connect to the ACTUAL word you're wanting to saying (2nd post), without it having some type of racial demeaning underlying message?

I think that's what he's complaining about - he's typing his ACTUAL word, and the forum is automatically replacing it with "Fine Black Gentleman", when that has no connection to what he meant.
Brilliand
Godfather
Godfather

Postby lemonader666 » Sun Jan 03, 2021 7:00 am

Good b8, you caught 7 posts

you can email me at lemonader666@gmail.com if need be
lemonader666
[Forum Mafia XVI] Winner
[Forum Mafia XVI] Winner

Postby cshizzle » Sun Jan 03, 2021 7:38 pm

You must be semiliterate (Complements of Merriam Webster again: Definition of semiliterate 1 able to read and write on an elementary level 2: having limited knowledge or understanding).

The word I used is 100% not a racial slur. Did you not read the definition, or are you just incapable of understanding English?
cshizzle
Doctor
Doctor

Postby Ezradekezra » Sun Jan 03, 2021 7:42 pm

cshizzle wrote:

You must be semiliterate (Complements of Merriam Webster again: Definition of semiliterate 1 able to read and write on an elementary level 2: having limited knowledge or understanding).

The word I used is 100% not a racial slur. Did you not read the definition, or are you just incapable of understanding English?

The spelling of the word has connotations that associate it with the racial slur. You yourself acknowledge this by referring to it with the same terminology as the racial slur in question.

Do you honestly think a single person would think to use that word as an insult if not for the connotations?

Edit: Just realized it's apparently filtered on the forum as well. The point about connotations still stands, however.
Last edited by Ezradekezra on Sun Jan 03, 2021 7:54 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Ezradekezra
Halloween 2020 Winner
Halloween 2020 Winner

Postby lemonader666 » Sun Jan 03, 2021 7:52 pm

Ezradekezra wrote:
cshizzle wrote:

The spelling of the word has connotations that associate it with the racial slur. You yourself acknowledge this by referring to it with the same terminology as the racial slur in question.

Do you honestly think a single person would think to use that word as an insult if not for the connotations?

lemonader666 wrote:Good b8, you caught 7 posts

lole

you can email me at lemonader666@gmail.com if need be
lemonader666
[Forum Mafia XVI] Winner
[Forum Mafia XVI] Winner

Postby cshizzle » Sun Jan 03, 2021 7:56 pm

Ezradekezra wrote: You yourself acknowledge this by referring to it with the same terminology as the racial slur in question.

Do me a favor. Precisely point out where I refer to it this word with the same terminology as a racial slur. I never did.
cshizzle
Doctor
Doctor

Postby Ezradekezra » Sun Jan 03, 2021 7:58 pm

cshizzle wrote:
Ezradekezra wrote: You yourself acknowledge this by referring to it with the same terminology as the racial slur in question.

Do me a favor. Precisely point out where I refer to it this word with the same terminology as a racial slur. I never did.

You may want to read the edit on my post -_-
Ezradekezra
Halloween 2020 Winner
Halloween 2020 Winner

Postby cshizzle » Sun Jan 03, 2021 8:13 pm

Ezradekezra wrote:
cshizzle wrote: You may want to read the edit on my post -_-

Or maybe you could read things carefully the first time. Perhaps if you people like you did that, you wouldn't be offended by innocuous words and we wouldn't be having this conversation in the first place.
cshizzle
Doctor
Doctor

Postby Brilliand » Sun Jan 03, 2021 8:14 pm

Ezradekezra wrote:Do you honestly think a single person would think to use that word as an insult if not for the connotations?

The word in question is an insult; it's nearly identical in meaning to "stingy", which is a mild insult.
Brilliand
Godfather
Godfather

Postby Ezradekezra » Sun Jan 03, 2021 8:15 pm

Brilliand wrote:
Ezradekezra wrote:Do you honestly think a single person would think to use that word as an insult if not for the connotations?

The word in question is an insult; it's nearly identical in meaning to "stingy", which is a mild insult.

Nice question dodge my guy
Ezradekezra
Halloween 2020 Winner
Halloween 2020 Winner

Postby Brilliand » Sun Jan 03, 2021 8:24 pm

Ezradekezra wrote:
Brilliand wrote:

The answer to your question is "yes". The word was used as an insult before the racial slur even existed, so the "connotation" of it sounding somewhat like a racial slur cannot be the reason.

I should not have had to spell that out; I thought my previous statement made it clear enough.
Brilliand
Godfather
Godfather

Postby Ezradekezra » Sun Jan 03, 2021 8:41 pm

Brilliand wrote:
Ezradekezra wrote:
Brilliand wrote:

The answer to your question is "yes". The word was used as an insult before the racial slur even existed, so the "connotation" of it sounding somewhat like a racial slur cannot be the reason.

I should not have had to spell that out; I thought my previous statement made it clear enough.

Connotations can change over time. For instance, the connotation of the number "911" changed drastically after the terrorist attacks on September 11th, 2001.

Sure, it may have been an insult a few hundred years ago, but nowadays the word far from commonplace. Combined with the spelling, most people would interpret it as being associated with the racial slur.
Ezradekezra
Halloween 2020 Winner
Halloween 2020 Winner

Postby Brilliand » Sun Jan 03, 2021 9:09 pm

Ezradekezra wrote:Connotations can change over time. For instance, the connotation of the number "911" changed drastically after the terrorist attacks on September 11th, 2001.

Sure, it may have been an insult a few hundred years ago, but nowadays the word far from commonplace. Combined with the spelling, most people would interpret it as being associated with the racial slur.

The word hasn't developed a modern meaning. "Most people" don't know that the word exists or what it means, and will jump to a very wrong conclusion if they hear the word from someone else - but those people are simply ignorant. The people actually using the word are mostly people who like to learn about arcane words that are still technically English, and use those words for their subtle variations in meaning. (I'm sure there are a scant few people who actually use the word for a wrong meaning they assumed after hearing it once, but that happens for every word.)
Brilliand
Godfather
Godfather

Postby Ezradekezra » Sun Jan 03, 2021 9:24 pm

Brilliand wrote:
Ezradekezra wrote:Connotations can change over time. For instance, the connotation of the number "911" changed drastically after the terrorist attacks on September 11th, 2001.

The word hasn't developed a modern meaning. "Most people" don't know that the word exists or what it means, and will jump to a very wrong conclusion if they hear the word from someone else - but those people are simply ignorant. The people actually using the word are mostly people who like to learn about arcane words that are still technically English, and use those words for their subtle variations in meaning. (I'm sure there are a scant few people who actually use the word for a wrong meaning they assumed after hearing it once, but that happens for every word and isn't a large effect.)

Looks like you've finally gotten my point: Nobody knows the literal meaning, but the vast majority of people will connect the word in question with the racial slur. That's pretty much what a connotation is: Not the literal meaning, but the associated or implied meaning.

Pretty much everyone will associate this with the racial slur, regardless of the literal definition. If the usage of the word causes people to get offended, it should be banned. End of story.

Don't victim-blame people and call them ignorant.
Ezradekezra
Halloween 2020 Winner
Halloween 2020 Winner

Postby LevinSnakesRise » Sun Jan 03, 2021 9:37 pm

If you have to ask why that word is filtered, you're not that bright.

Either way, this isn't going to happen, so use another appropriate synonym.

Closing.
Please contact BMG with any questions regarding your account issues;
support@blankmediagames.zendesk.com

Thanks.
LevinSnakesRise
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby shapesifter13 » Fri Jan 08, 2021 11:54 pm

While technically not a slur, it contains a word that is hard filtered, and our filter does some finagling to try to catch more attempts to circumvent it. This means some things will get caught in the mix, and we are ok with that when it means people have to try harder to avoid it.
shapesifter13
Developer
Developer

Return to Suggestions